The nerves begin..

The competition

 

GEE, GEE, GEE, GEE…BABY, BABY, BA…

Baekhyun’s hand came slamming down onto his alarm clock, stilling the shuddering vibrations it sent through his bedside table and cutting out the loud and obtrusive noise. He loved SNSD and was a total fanboy; that was the reason why he had decided to set Gee as his alarm tone, so that he would wake up happy in the mornings and actually get up, which was previously impossible. But today, not even the upbeat tunes of his favourite group could prepare him for the day that he knew awaited him. Nervous gurgles wracked his stomach just thinking about what he had to do. Baekhyun groaned as he heaved himself up from the soft, plush depths of his bed whilst shaking a limb or two where he had become entangled in his duvet overnight. Once upright he stretched his arms up to the ceiling and pointed his toes feeling the gentle pull and hearing a satisfying pop in his back and elbows. Shaking himself loose he headed down the stairs to the kitchen, in the hope that the loud grumbles in his stomach were caused by hunger rather than by fear and dread.

He glared into the open fridge, annoyed at the lack of comfort food to calm his nerves and was forced to grab a small yoghurt and an apple. He flicked his sweeping fringe out of his face as he inspected the best before end date on the yogurt, flicking off a fleck of chocolate he revealed the year 2006. Shuddering in disgust he threw the yoghurt into the bin and practically crawled back upstairs, scarfing the apple as he did so.

He got ready quickly, throwing on his uniform and brushing his teeth, only taking time to set his hair straight and to apply eyeliner to his waterline. He knew that this could be considered weird as he was a guy, but really he just liked to look nice, and so just ignored any funny remarks that were made towards him. He grabbed his bag off of his bed glancing at his calendar as he sped out of his room. He felt as though the knot in his stomach was suddenly yanked on at each end, tightening severely as if a tug of war match was being waged in his midriff, due to the undeniable fact that he had not been mistaken in the date. Today was the day of the competition.

He normally didn’t suffer from nerves like this, usually he had confidence and an attitude to boot when on stage, but what made today different was not the stage and was not the performance. It was the audience. The entire school would be there, and that meant that Chanyeol would be there. Baekhyun’s cheeks flamed red hot and his stomach clenched again as he remembered the many dreams, better named nightmares that he had had of messing up in front of Chanyeol and embarrassing himself.

Back in the kitchen he pulled open a cupboard to reveal a large space full of take away, paper coffee cups and plastic lids from various coffee shops. He grabbed a matching set swiftly, clearly experienced at finding order in a space where others would only see chaos. Pouring himself a steaming cup of coffee he bolted out the door, only stopping to lock it behind him before he set off at a swift march down the street.  His usually ordered and intelligent thoughts were scattered and hazy, flitting in and out of his head never having much purchase of his interest before another thought pushed its way in. In this mayhem of thoughts, tangled like spaghetti there was one similarity, one way in which the thoughts would begin. What if..?

He pushed through the main entrance to the school staring at the ground, so focused was he on his thoughts that his eyes were merely following his feet rather than the other way around. He was headed down the corridor to his first lesson when he suddenly remembered that he was going to meet his best friend Kyungsoo in the main quad before first period. Because his thoughts had been so scattered, the memory of their conversation arranging the meeting was pulled subconsciously to the surface of his mind to remind him. The abrupt memory made the already flustered and uneasy Baekhyun turn hard on his heels and make to hurry back in the direction in which he had come from. These intentions were flouted when Baekhyun turned around only to walk headfirst into the chest of the tall, slim and muscled from of none other than Chanyeol….