Game

Clash of the Players
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Finally, it was time for revenge. The last volleyball game between Seoul High and Woollim High wasn’t just a battle of volleyball, but pride. Up until now, the volleyball team at Woollim High hasn’t won a single game against Seoul High and it was hurting both their reputation and pride. If this continued, it wouldn’t surprise you if some of the girls on the team quit and not return next year, as they’ve previously stated at the last game against Seoul High when your team lost. That was why you had to win this time. As the captain, you couldn’t let your team down like you had this whole year.

Despite the game being so early on a Saturday morning and, coincidentally, the first day of spring break, many people showed up: families, friends, classmates, teachers, etc. As you entered the gym with your team, your eyes scanned the bleachers, looking for a specific someone. You sighed, realizing he wasn’t present in the bleachers, and set your bag down. Misun placed a hand on your shoulder, giving you a small reassuring smile before stretching. You returned it with a weak one and joined her in stretching.

Girls from Seoul High began filing into the gym as well. The game was starting soon, yet still no signs of him showing up. Perhaps he had something come up last minute. No surprise there – he was a busy person. It’s just… you were hoping he could at least come to one of your games. It would’ve been nice to have him cheering you on during the game, to be there for you to look to when you’re feeling nervous.

“~~~-ah,” Miyoung called, interrupting you from your thoughts.

You looked up at her and followed the direction of where her thumb was pointing and saw a breathless Howon sitting next to a groggy-looking Myungsoo, who seemed to have just woken up. You tilted your head to the side, somewhat confused, and excused yourself to approach the two.

“I thought –“

“You thought I forgot, didn’t you?” Howon asked before you could finish your sentence.

You rubbed the back of your neck.

“I’m hurt,” He joked, hand over his heart, “to think you thought I actually forgot when I promised I’d be here.”

“I-it’s the first time you were coming, so…”

Howon grinned, reaching out to fix your messy bangs. “I thought it’d be nice if Myungsoo came to cheer you on as well. Kind of reminds you of the old days, huh?”

“Yeah…”

“Plus,” He paused, “since you two are technically dating, it’d be strange for those who knew not see him here to cheer his girlfriend on at her last volleyball game. Although, getting him up wasn’t as easy as I had hoped; this boy sleeps like a log, no kidding. Thought we were going to arrive late because of him.”

Ten years of being friends, yet he still manages to render you speechless.

Miyoung called your name; the match was starting now. You weren’t sure what to say at that point, so you leaned forward from where you were standing in the row below Howon’s and Myungsoo’s and embraced the former tightly, hoping to transfer your thanks through that action, then quickly made your way down the bleachers to your teammates.

You had almost forgotten Haeri was the team’s co-captain and the fact that she was also participating in today’s game. Since it was the last time to disprove Seoul High’s superiority in volleyball, you had to forget the past until the game was over. If the team ended up losing the game because Haeri and you couldn’t let go of the past long enough to play, you would never forgive yourself. It was time to be mature adults.

The game was going smoothly. So far, Woollim was in the lead. The ball sailed through the air, from Seoul High’s side to Woollim High’s. It was heading in your direction; you smirked, preparing yourself to hit the ball over the net. You jumped, raising your right arm, and landed on the ground right after, your wrist throbbing in pain in attempt to break your fall. Haeri gracefully landed on the ground after scoring a point for the team standing your previous place, next to you.

The whole gym was quiet, taking in the sight in front of them. Woollim High fans couldn’t make a sound even though their side just gained a point. Misun jogged over from her position to your figure on the ground.

“Are you ok?” She asked, kneeling down beside you.

You could see Miyoung was trying to reason with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter