chapter 15

Live like Karate, Love like Piano

“Ya, Byun Baekhyun!” You snapped. You raised an eyebrow in confusion. Two of them stared at each other, as if they could spark electricity from their eyes.5 seconds, 10seconds, 15 seconds. Suho gave up. He chuckled and straightened up himself from the chair. He shifted his eyes to yours. “Trust me, you’ll do it well” And he left with a bitter smile.
You glared at Baekhyun. “What was that for? That’s so rude!”
Haha, serves him right! Baekhyun grinned evilly.
“Do the tuts one. You deserve more recognition there” He changed the topic. He took Suho’s seat and handed you the opened drinks.
two votes for piano. I think I know the answer now. You blew out all the hesitant.
“And you?” He made a face. “Isn’t it obvious? Singing is my life~ you know” He raises a brow and sung part of Bon Jovi’s It’s my life.
You mimicked a vomit expression and both of you laughed.


And therefore, for the whole week the school hectically prepared for the festival. The event itself would get a special footage from Tv companies such as KBS and SBS. Upon hearing that, your nervousness got you back under control.
“Kim ~~ ! How many times I told you. Don’t put on a scary face while playing it. Relax and drowned yourself into the melody” Mrs. Lee voice croaked during the practice session. “Yup, yup like that. Relax your fingers”. How could I relax, you need to kill me first in order to stop my heart beats!
After your turn ended, Mrs.Lee approached and gave you last advice. “You got the skill, but still lack on the expression ~~ssi. Don’t think of it as Karate. It’s a whole different thing. You use power and strength in karate to mesmerize the audience, but to capture the heart of audience as a pianist, you have to put your heart in it”. She held out her hand and put it on my chest. You could hear the other participants giggled and whispering to each other.
Okay, it’s too late to call it a quits now.  You dropped your head, embarrassed.

Later that day, you and Se Hyun paid a visit to Baekhyun vocal class. You peeked inside and they were as well intensely practicing. Maybe, they won’t be happy to welcome a guest at such time. Both of you decided to wait at the front door, leaned on the wall and started to chat.
Time flied, as you looked at the reddish sky, the sun already set.
“Ya, what are you guys doing here?” Baekhyun skidded when he saw both of you sitting neatly. The others, popped up their heads and waved, “Hi” They said in sync.
Kai especially, flew right to Se Hyun side in a blink. A typical love-struck. The others could only giggle and .

After saying goodbye, You and Baekhyun walked through the park headed home.
Autumn leaves were everywhere on the walk path plus the sunset shone through the trees. It was a beautiful golden view. As both of you quietly stunned by the view, it became an awkward silent. You cleared your throat and spilled out all the embarrassing moment at the piano class this afternoon. He just smiled and gazed at you softly. He patted your hair and reassured you that you will do well.
That was weird. Normally he would laugh uncontrollably and said mean stuffs.
You looked at him with a worry face. “Baekhyun ah, you are not sick again, aren’t you?” You came closer and landed your hand on his forehead.
With you being so close, his heart started to pound faster. But he brought himself to look straight at your eyes.
That eyes as if he could see through me. Taken aback, you broke the eye contact and laughed awkwardly. “Don’t stare me that way, I’m just joking” He caught your hand just in time when you pulled it back. “W-what?”
He stared at you long, hesitating. Should I confess now? It’s a good timing. But what if she says no? The Ferris wheel ‘kiss’ flashed back on his head.
You gulped hard. Now your heartbeat rate was above 120. This is even worst than when I was with Suho last time.
But then You felt the grip was gradually loosened. He sighed and gave you a bitter smile.“Sorry”. He turned away and moved leaving you behind.
You looked at his back, confused. He’s getting weirder and weirder! 

You slowly caught up with his steps and walked side to side again.
“Are you dating him?” he barked, startled you.
“Who?”
“The Karate guy”
Suho? “Nope, why?”
He paused for seconds. Should I say it? “But-you guys kissed already” He clenched his palm.
“W-WHAT?” You mouth fell open. “NO WAY! What kind of gossip is that?”
“It’s true!” He insisted.
You rolled your eyes. “Great. I got an amnesia cause I don’t even remember when, where, and how we kissed!”
“Inside the Ferris wheel capsule- No?”
OHMY, so he actually found us? Wait that means-
You stopped and faced him. “Byun Baekhyun, now explain to me. Is that the reason why you got angry with me all of a sudden? And Ignored me for a week?” You put on a stone face and crossed arms.
He gasped, “So that’s all just misunderstanding? What a relief-“ He turned white as he could see veins popped up from your head.
1..2..3..RUN!!!!!
“YOU STUPID BACON! STOOOOP!”
But then, why would he care?

Day 1 of the Festival.
You were waiting anxiously inside the waiting room. The concert hall was undergoing preparation and would be open in 30 minutes.


Only 8 participants were actually got the opportunities to perform today. And that included you. You almost cried when Mrs.Lee called out your name, as you thought she wouldn’t even considered you after the practicing session.
“You improved a lot during these weeks. You deserved the chance. Congrats and good luck!” She handed the contestant pass card, and you ended up speechless. The bad thing was the other students started to show their jealousy and said mean stuffs behind you. You don't really care anyway.

“I won’t disappoint her!” You promised yourself. Aja aja fighting! You breathed in and out for several times while waiting for your turn, the fifth.
“Next is Kim ~~ from class 1-B with Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven”
THUD! You blew hard for the last time to relax your nerves. Steadily, you stepped out from backstage and walked towards the piano. You bowed to the audience before sat down and moving your fingers like pro.
You started from the second movement, Adagio sostenuto and continue to the hardest part, the third movement Presto agitato. Your memories flashed back to when you were still five years old. It was nearly end of autumn, and freezing windy outside. Cuddling on the couch covered with a warm blanket in front of the fireplace, there were you mesmerized by the figure that played the piano. He was your precious oppa, the one that always took good care of you in every single aspect. He would play this sonata on Sunday evening, when you visited his house. Simply because this was your favourite of all. His genuine smiled he showed you every time he finished it, was priceless. Someday, it will be my turn to play for you Oppa. That was your pinky promise.

The audience clapped their hands in synchronization. It’s over, hopefully I did well. You bowed once again before left the stage.
“YA ~~ SSI! You’re awesome!” Se hyun stormed to you and hugged you tightly.
“Thanks! I’m glad I made no mistake!” you laughed. She squeezed your frozen hands, she could feel your hands still shaking. “Don’t worry you did great”.

The time to announce the best three finally came. You felt as if your heart would burst out anytime soon. Relax ~~. Don’t expect too much or you will hurt so much! You wiggled as you getting more nervous. Se Hyun slapped your warned you to stop. You grinned embarrassedly when the others stared at you.
“Start from number three, from 1-B, KIM ~~! Congratulations!” The loud clapped sounds filled the hall. You became numb as you brain tried to digest the announcement. You stopped breathing for a moment and cried out in astonishment. “M-ME?? Oh MY GOSH. THANK YOU!” You walked forward to receive the trophy.  Finally my first reward as a pianist! How I wish you were here, Oppa…

SHRUGH! Suddenly a bouquet of flowers popped out in front of your face as you walked down the stage. You lifted up your head and saw Suho with his signature angelic smile. He was brighter than any light.
“F-For me?” You smiled broadly. He nodded and gave you a small hug. “Congrats, I was amazed by your performance” .
“You were there? Wow, thank you for coming, I mean really, I appreciate it!” You gazed at the beautiful oriental Lilies. They smell nice.