chapter 12

Live like Karate, Love like Piano

 

Bell rang signing the break time. You tidied up all the books and prepared yourself for lunch. At the same time, Baekhyun stood up and left the class. You sighed. He doesn’t even look at me once. You felt angry yet desperate.

At the canteen, you told Se Hyun everything in detail, hoping that she could give you some advice. She kept nodding while his mouth munching vigorously.
You raised an eyebrow, wondered if she was the same person you met before. You let out a heavy sighed and dropped down your face, almost ended on the soup.
“I know it’s my bad for leaving him. But he’s also at fault for secretly following me, right? Se Hyun a, are you listening?’ You pouted sadly.
“Of course! Then what are you going to do? Don’t you guys fight before?”
“Yeah, but he never ignored me like today! Even if we fought, it only lasted for hours and we will eventually made up” You forked the last chicken piece and munched it slowly.
“You really have no idea why he followed you in the first place?”
You frowned, you tilted your head tried to think of any possibilities.
“Nah, but he began to act weirdly ever since school started” Or after I met Suho?
Se Hyun gulped finish her water. “That’s probably because he can’t control his own feeling”
“What feeling?”
She winked at you and chuckled. “Now I’m totally agreed with Kai-ssi. Both of you are way too innocent”
“what do you mean?” You blinked your eyes, bewildered.
“Ani, let’s go back. I’ll see you at piano class. Khalkae!” She waved before left for class.

Baekhyun silently stepped into the empty dance practice room. Thank God, there’s no one. He decided to skip the last 2 lessons. He slid down the wall and sat there closed eyes.
I’m the worst. It’s not even her fault, but I ignored her. i just can’t look at her eyes, what if I blurt out everything and tell her my feeling? It’s going to get more complicated. The yesterday scene at the Ferris wheel kept flashed back inside his head. He touched his chest as he felt the pain.
Let it go Byun Baekhyun!
He reached for the cd player and the music. It was a dance track from Shinee. He began to dance following the music and drowned himself into it.

A week had past since then. And both of you were still on silent mode. Even the students at class got used to it already.
You focused more on the piano lesson, hope that you could at least forgot him for a while. Se Hyun brought you to their practice room couple of times, but the way he ignored you completely, made you lost face.
I will never ever ever stop there anymore!!! You promised yourself in anger.
 

One afternoon, you were walking together with Suho to the Karate club. You passed through the hall and glanced upstairs for a moment. You gasped when you saw Baekhyun came downstairs. He seemed as surprise as you did. But his expression quickly changed when he saw the person next to you. He gave you a cold stare and walked away.
This is the first time in a week you actually had an eye contact with him.
I can’t take this anymore!
Trembling, you shouted, “Why are you acting like this?”. He froze
“Did I do something wrong? If so, please tell me! You already ignored me for the whole week. Does this friendship mean nothing to you now? You don’t even give me a chance to explain”
He shut his eyes. My heart is in pain and now even my head felt like spinning around. I have to go. Without any strength to reply, he moved in a swoon.
Your face fell hard, tears started to form inside your eyes and your felt your face burnt. Unexpectedly, you rushed to him and ready to give him a smack down. Suho watched in horror as he tried to stop you. But he was one step late.
“Arrrgh! “Baekhyun cried in pain as you knock him down the grass.
“Now, say something!” You panted, but still managed to get up and grabbed on his collar. He did nothing in defense. You got worried when you saw clearly his pale face. You touched his forehead, and gasped as it felt like it was boiling.
“Baekhyun,ah!” You shook him as you panicked.
“Yaaa…I’m getting dizzier you babo…” He mumbled unclear. He was ready to faint anytime soon. He felt his head was getting heavier and heavier.
Suho quickly joined and lift him up. From the back, you could hear loud chatters. It turned out to be the other trainees. They walked downstairs and happily chatting, but Kai face changed when he saw you and Baekhyun.
“Baekhyun ssi!”He stormed to your side. Chanyeol gasped in shock so as the others. With their help, you took Baekhyun to the school’s clinic.

***

The taxi stopped in front of Baekhyun’s house. You opened the door and slowly shifted his body to the door. Kai and Chanyeol swiftly stepped down the car and helped you to carry him. You took the key from his bag and went inside. It was dark, signed there was no one at home.
His father must be overseas. How long had it been?
You guys went upstairs and laid him on his bed.  He immediately fell into deep sleep after he took the medicine. You sat on the side of his bed and gazed at his face softly.
Kai glanced around. It was a simple room dominated by clear blue color, with one bed, one desk, and wardrobe.  “No one here? Does he live alone?”
You slowly shook your head, “He stayed with his father. But I think he went abroad for work”. “For how long?”, Chanyeol turned to ask you.
“I have no idea. It happened frequently. Anyway, I’ll bring you guys something to drink” You slipped out of the room.
Where’s his mom? Kai and Chanyeol thought the same thing. Kai scanned through the room and found one particular frame next to his computer. It was a photo of him, his father and mother. They smiled happily.
“I’m coming in” You looked at them dumfounded as they seemed to get scared. “Ah no, we just found this photo and we couldn’t help but wondered where’s his mother”. Chanyeol nodded.
You paused for a second, “Actually his mother passed away since he was 10”. They turned their head coincided and looked at him. He was a strong guy.