Chapter 1: That Jerk

A Husband in Three Months

    “You can do it!” You reassured your best friend, Eunsook. She stared at you with wide, doe-like eyes and shook her head. “No, I can’t! I’m not like you, _______-ah! I can’t just tell him I like him!” she said, looking like she was about to make a break for it. You grabbed her shoulders and made her look at you. “Eunsook-ah,” you began, “you have liked this guy for three years. Three years! That’s longer than I’ve liked my bias from (your favorite band that’s not Big Bang)! You have to tell him!”
    “I…I know you’re right, ________-ah, but I can’t!”
    “Yes, you can, and I’ll be here to cheer you on! Look, there he is!” you whispered, looking past her shoulder to where the kings of the school were walking down the hall. In the middle, strutted Jiyong with his uniform fashionably altered. He was the leader of them even though he wasn’t the oldest. On his left was the elder Seunghyun with a deep voice that melted the hearts of all of the girls, including the female teachers. On Jiyong’s other side was Youngbae who was the sole reason why the kids in your school went to any choir production. Next to Youngbae was Daesung who everyone said was the ugliest member of the group, but you always found him the most attractive. He was also the nicest and had the best smile. Finally, next to the elder Seunghyun was little Seunghyun. He was known more by his nickname “Seungri,” and was the definite player of the group. Yet, for some strange reason, your best friend had been in love with him since he had sat next to her in their class three years ago.
    Though you weren’t sure how this would turn out, you still had to support her. She had been talking about telling him about her feelings for the last two years, but had never actually done anything about it. You finally were getting her to do it though; maybe it would all turn out good. If it didn’t, you were seriously going to punch that jerk. So, either way there would be something good. Eunsook took a deep breath, gathering her courage before walking up to the five of them. “C-Can I s-s-s-speak to you, S-S-Seungri-ah?” she asked, staring down at her feet. You bit your bottom lip as you watched him smirk and nod while the other four walked past her as if she didn’t exist.
    “What do you need, Eunsook-ah?” he asked, but the knowing smile on his face made the question sound stupid you thought. At least he remembered her name. “W-Well, I…. Um…I,” she began, trying to get the words out. “Oh…. Eunsook,” you whispered, wanting to go over there and rescue her, maybe it was too soon. He stood there patiently waiting for a minute before saying, “You like me.” She nodded silently and stared at his feet, her face turning a dark shade of red. “Sorry, Eunsook-ah, but you’re not my type. I like y girls and you’re… Well, you’re not,” he said before patting her head and walking past her.
    You watched her shoulders begin to shake and you knew she was crying. Crap, you really shouldn’t have made her do this. “Hey! You jerk!” you exclaimed, glaring at Seungri. He turned to you and raised an eyebrow, “Are you talking to me?” You rolled your eyes as your hands balled into fists at your sides, “Who else would I be talking to?” He scoffed and walked up to you, “What? You want to say something?”
    “How could you say that to her? She obviously really likes you! Couldn’t you have been a little nicer, huh?” you demanded. He laughed again, “Obviously you’re more stupid than you look. Would it really have been better if I had said yes? What, we date for a week and then I get bored and dump her. Is that really better? As her friend, shouldn’t you be comforting her instead?” You nodded, before smiling up at him, “Yeah, right after I do this.” You socked him right in the jaw, knocking him back on his .
    You stuck your tongue out at him before walking over to Eunsook. You wrapped an arm around her shoulder and tried to lead her away. She seemed to be in shock, just dumbly going along with you while tears trickled down her face. “Stupid jerk,” you mumbled, the feeling of guilt weighing heavily on your shoulders. “I’m so sorry, Eunsook-ah,” you whispered as you slowly walked down the hall with her. “Yah! Violent girl!” Seungri called after you, getting up off the ground.
    “What?” you called back turning slightly to glare at him, “Can’t you see I’m busy, panda eyes?” He glared at you with such hate you wondered if he was going to return the hit he gave you, “You’re lucky you’re a girl or you’d be so dead right now!” You smiled and replied, “Same goes to you.” You turned and tried to make Eunsook walk faster, hoping to get away from this scene as soon as possible. “Yah! I’m going to make you pay! You hear that?!” he yelled after you as you turned the corner to the nurse’s office. “Yeah, stupid panda face, I heard that,” you mumbled under your breath as you opened the door and walked inside.
    “What is it now, ______-ah? Did you get into a fight again?” the nurse, your aunt, asked as she turned. “No, it’s Eunsook, Ahjumma, she’s pretty upset,” you said, making her sigh. “Ah, my poor sweetie, have her lay down on one of the beds,” she said as she grabbed a box of tissues to try and quell the tears that still fell from Eunsook’s big brown eyes. “What happened?” she asked as she sat beside Eunsook and rubbed her back, trying to get her to calm down. You sat on the bed opposite of them and sighed, “I finally convinced her to ask Seungri out…”
    “Let me guess, it didn’t work,” she replied, slightly sarcastically. You nodded and looked down at the ground. She sighed, “You need to remember that not every girl is like you, _______-ah. Some girls are very fragile.” You nodded and glanced up at Eunsook. “I’m sorry, Eunsook-ah. I was only trying to help.” Eunsook nodded and gave you a small smile, “I know. It’s good that I at least let him know, right?” Your aunt nodded and gave her a quick squeeze, “That was very brave of you, honey. However, never listen to ______ when it comes to boys ever again. She’s hopeless, trust me.”
    “Hey!” you exclaimed, making Eunsook giggle slightly as she dried her eyes again. “It’s true; you’ve never even liked someone outside of those idols you girls admire so much. What am I going to do with you?” your aunt said with a sigh as she rubbed her temple. “It’s not my fault the boys at are school aren’t my type!” you defended making both Eunsook and your aunt laugh. “What?” you asked, but they just kept on laughing. “Ugh…whatever, just keep laughing,” you said with a sigh, but couldn’t help smiling slightly as well.
    “So, you’re not mad at me, right?” you asked Eunsook, trying your best to do aegyo while you asked. Your aunt snorted at your attempt, but Eunsook smiled. “No, I’m not mad. Besides, I can’t believe you hit him for me! He’s going to kill you! I can’t be mad at you when I know you’re about to die,” she said with such a serious expression that it made you laugh. “Wait… you hit Seungri?! What is wrong with you, child?!” you aunt exclaimed before hitting you upside the head.
    “Owwww… Ahjumma,” you whined even though it really didn’t hurt. “If he reports you, you’re going to be expelled! Even your parents can’t get you out of it this time!” she said with a sigh. “He won’t tell,” you said, trying to reassure your aunt. “Oh yeah? How do you know that?”
    “Because he got hit by a girl. His ego is too big to admit that a little girl beat him up.” She sighed but nodded, “Yeah, you’re probably right about that, but no more fights!” You nodded, “I promise, no more fights…unless someone is mean to Eunsook.” Your aunt groaned, “I think you’re going to send me to an early grave, but I guess I will live with that. You are such a handful, _______-ah.” You merely smiled at that before jumping up off the bed and grabbing Eunsook’s hand to lead her out. Lunch was almost over, so the two of you had to get to class before the math teacher got there.

    After school, you walked with Eunsook past the school gates and down the usual short cuts to her house. You always made sure to walk her home because her sense of direction was as bad as your grades which she never failed to tease you about. You dropped her off at her apartment complex, promising to call her later before you continued down the road towards your house.
    You lived at the top of a hill in what Eunsook called a mansion, but it didn’t seem that big to you. Your father was the CEO of his own company that he had built from the ground up. It originally started in dealing household supplies, but as it had grown, it had expanded in every which way. Now it was one of the largest countries in all of South Korea and had offices in all of the major countries in the world.
    You were your parents’ only child, so it was needless to say that you had a lot to live up to. Honestly, you knew you were more of a disappointment to them, but you were who you were. You weren’t good in school; it wasn’t your thing. You loved sports and physical activity; those were what you excelled in. In all honesty, if you could’ve been a super hero, that would’ve been the best thing ever. But, since you didn’t have any superpowers, being a stuntwoman was your goal. You wondered what would happen if you told your mom about it, she would probably faint from shock. Your dad would have a . Only your aunt really supported you.
    You sighed as the gates opened up to your house. “You know, we could always send the car to get you, Miss,” one of the servants said. You shook your head, “Nah, I don’t like stuff like that. Besides, walking is better for you anyways.” He nodded and bowed as you walked past, making you sigh. Such acts of politeness you found annoying, you’d much rather live in a small apartment like Eunsook than in this huge house full of servants. Another one met you at the door and said, “Miss, your presence is required in the drawing room.”
    “Can I at least change?” you asked, but she shook her head, “Must be real important then…” You walked down one of the halls and stopped in front of the door that lead to what you hoped was the right drawing room. You had two for some strange reason. The muffled sounds of conversation could be heard past the door along with small bursts of laughter. You could make out your dad’s rough voice, years of smoking had made his voice slightly raspy sounded, but he was in the process of quitting, thank goodness. You could also hear your mother’s tinkling voice and laughter, she was femininity defined.
    You sighed before opening the door and stepping in. “Oh here she is, _____-ah I’d like you to meet Mr. and Mrs. Lee along with their son, Seunghyun. He goes to your school,” your mother said with a perfect white smile. Your eyes widened as you turned to look at the boy you had punched only a few hours earlier. Oh, crap.