Chapter 23

Fragments

 

Confused hearts, fighting hearts, loyal love, where will their feelings take them? Their emotions were complicated enough to keep them occupied and neglect the other problems. What will happen to them in the future? They were all too coped up with their individual struggles, losing sight of what really brought them at this moment, except for one demon that remained quiet of them all.

“I suppose you have a very important information here for me, Wonbin.” The demon prince smiled at the old friend that they had not seen for a while ever since he left the group of the demons. He was sent alone investigating by the council for his abilities were rare and precious and something that would be definitely helpful for their mission.

The demon let out a smirk, amused by the fact that his old friend didn’t change at all even after he left. “Something very precious indeed. “ He replied to the prince, who gripped his hand and took him into an embrace and patted his back and Wonbin did the same.

“It’s been a while isn’t it?” They both sat down and scanned the room to ensure the privacy of the place. They were in a room in the F&C building and they both knew they cannot risk anyone to hear their conversation.

“It is. How are you guys ever since I left you?” Wonbin asked, catching up with the old gang.

“We’re doing well. Everything is crazier ever since Seunghyun came.”

“He was bound to join you in the first place if he wasn’t too stubborn to investigate alone.”

“He ended up coming back to us anyway since it was for the better.”

“He can’t say no to anything that involves her. That boy is too pure for his own good.” The two demons chuckled at the thought of Seunghyun. But Jonghun couldn’t help but let out a worried smile with the thought of the younger demon, possibly digging his own grave for fighting for Seol’s love. He just let out a sigh.

“So what is this information that brought you to me? And tell me, who did you manipulate this time?” He changed his thoughts to the matter in front of him and teased his friend at the same time.

Wonbin just shook his head to him and smiled softly before it faded into a serious meaningful smile. “Vladimir.” He said the name in the softest way he could.

The prince leaned in closer upon hearing the King’s right hand. He wasn’t expecting to hear someone from the royal circle to be involved in this matter. Thousands of thoughts were now running in his head as he waited for Wonbin to speak up.

“I don’t have a good feeling about this.” Jonghun admitted and Wonbin just replied again with a smirk before continuing.

“If just by vladimir’s name you are already alarmed what more if I say that the King is involved.”

This had Jonghun’s full attention. Wide eyes, heart’s racing, how could the king, his own father be involved with such dreadful incident that dragged everyone’s lives down, especially his friends.

“Tell me about it.” The prince said in all seriousness, his attention all in Wonbin now.

xx—xx

Seunghyun and Seol became closer to each other after Seunghyun’s “move”. The two would always automatically be together and they would be getting judging glances from everyone around them but neither minded this. However, there was one audience that Seol couldn’t ever just ignore. She silently looked at him when he wasn’t looking, she wouldn’t notice that her eyes would sometimes look for him. But she fought all that and just focused on the present that was making her happy.

From a distance, the two youngest were looking at them as they played the guitar. Both were worried for the ending of their story. Adriel was silently watching them and Minhwan was next to her, doing nothing at all. Her gaze was full of question as she looked at Seol and Seunghyun.

“Minhwan, why does Seunghyun still fight for Seol even though he knows what will happen after Seol gets her memory back? And why is she entertaining Seunghyun when she knows deep inside, she loves Jaejin? Aren’t they just asking to get hurt?” She suddenly asked and Minhwan looked at the two, thinking very well how to answer Adriel’s question.

Seol and Seunghyun were both smiling sweetly at each other but you can still see through the fear in their actions. Though they had been closer and together most of the time, Seol would always still be reserved with her actions.

“I’m not very sure exactly. But when you think of it, what if the impossible suddenly becomes possible, even if the chances are low? Will you take that small chance and try making the impossible possible? Or will you just let it become impossible forever?” Minhwan answered her with another question but she knew what he was trying to say. “You know Seunghyun. We’ve been with him for a long time already. We’ve seen how he would stay in a distance and watch Seol from afar. We’ve seen him smile because of her even if she was with Jaejin-hyung. So maybe, for Seunghyun, being with Seol had always been a dream, something impossible. That’s why even if the chances are small; he’s trying his best now.” He let out a soft smile to Adriel and they both looked back at Seunghyun with full of worry. “As for Seol, I think you have a better guesses than I do.”

“Well, let’s see. She barely changed anyway. She’s very stubborn and she has an instinct to stay away from anything that gives her pain, even before. So I’m guessing, she’s in too much pain right now that’s why even if she knows that for some reason she’s in love with Jaejin, she still rejects him because of the pain she’s feeling and Seunghyun happens to be there for her and she finds comfort from him.” She blabbered on and Minhwan just listened, having the exact same thoughts in mind but he waited for Adriel to continue. “It’s also possible that the present Seol actually likes Seunghyun.”

However, the last words by Adriel weren’t something Minhwan expected and he looked at her confusedly. “What do you mean?”

“After all, Seunghyun is Seol’s best friend.” She began and Minhwan thought of the old days. “If it wasn’t for Seunghyun, Jaejin and Seol wouldn’t have met. Before Jaejin came to her life, before we came to her life, she was with Seunghyun.”

“Are you saying?”

“It’s possible that Seol must have liked Seunghyun even before Jaejin. But no one would know about that but her. It’s just a guess.”

“So you’re saying if Seunghyun wasn’t too pure and dumb and figured out his feelings earlier, they would’ve ended up together instead?”

“I don’t know. After all, Seol only had eyes for Jaejin as far as we can remember.”

“True.” Adriel then snuggled in closer to Minhwan and Minhwan wrapped her in his arms, comforting her.

“It’s impossible that no one will get hurt by this.” She said with complete sadness and he held her hand.

“Let’s just hope everything will be fine even if that’s what’s going to happen.” He kissed her softly on the forehead and just enjoyed each other’s warmth.

xx—xx

Jaejin was waiting for time to pass by so that she could finally be with Seol without forcing her to. He was always watching Seunghyun and Seol from afar. All of a sudden they traded places; he was the one looking from afar and Seunghyun was the one beside her. He told his self to be patient and that he would get her back soon. He said that to his self over and over again when in reality, he was losing confidence already.

He was waiting for her in the field, hoping she would remember he was waiting for her.

“Lady Seol, it’s time for your lessons.” Diriel reminded Seol who was too busy learning a new song with Seunghyun.

She looked at her butler and nodded slowly and that was the only time Diriel left. She fell silent all of a sudden when she remembered it was Jaejin’s lessons next and Hongki wouldn’t be there because he was with Jonghun somewhere.

“I have to go.” She said softly to Seunghyun and he smiled at her reassuringly.

“I’ll wait for you.” He said and she gave him a soft smile before standing up. When she was about to leave, he pulled her back and took her into a tight embrace then pulled back immediately. “Now, you can really go.” He smiled again to her and she was left puzzled by what he did and just silently went to the field. Little did she know that Seunghyun was really threatened and he knew he could lose her any moment that was why he hugged her, just in case it was the last time.

When she was at the field, she immediately saw Jaejin and he was waiting for her patiently. She slowly went to him and avoided his stare as he followed her every move with his eyes. When she was near, he quietly stared at her for a while before actually speaking up. He felt his heart yearning for every inch of her. He wanted to hold her so much but he was afraid he would push her more away.

“Today’s lesson is data gathering.” Jaejin began explaining and she just gave him a questioning look, waiting for him to explain further. “I’ll teach you spells on how to get information by looking to their memories.” Seol was taken aback by this and she wasn’t sure if Jaejin was plotting something but she quietly listened still. “This is helpful when we encounter enemies. We could look into their memories and get information who orders them.” He defended his lesson when in fact he was actually up to something. “But this is difficult with higher demons because they can protect their memories with spells also. Basically, demons can choose to protect their memories and the intensity of security varies. Shall we try it with you then?”

“How? I don’t have memories.” She replied in a whisper.

“You still have your memories when you thought you were human right?” She nodded. “And since you have no clue how to protect your memories, I can show the basics to you.” He then backed a few steps away from Seol. He then flicked his point finger to her head and images of Seol and Yuki came flashing to Jaejin’s mind. “You and Yuki were watching one of our performances in your laptop.” Jaejin smirked and Seol blushed upon getting caught for her fan girling activities.

“Why does that memory have to pop up all of a sudden?” She whined to him.

“Apparently, when I said the words when you thought you were human, that was the strongest memory you have of it. We cannot pick out what memory we can look at. Rather, we always see those most remembered ones, the strongest of all memories or those that are triggered by something.” He explained to her. “Let’s see, goat.” Jaejin then flicked his point finger to her head again and his face flashed into his head. Jaejin laughed and Seol blushed even more because obviously she was thinking of him when he said the word goat and her memories were triggered by it.

“Stop laughing! Stupid.” She muttered but Jaejin was amused over this fact and he was right to choose this lesson.

“Now try it on me. I dropped my defenses to zero so you could practice on me. Try it over and over again and tell me what memory you see. I won’t tell you when I will put on my defenses so I can see till how much you can overcome my defenses.” She stiffened upon hearing his instructions. She was afraid of what she could find out in his head. Jaejin read her thoughts but he didn’t bother changing his instructions. He knew she was running away from their memories so he had to do something else to remind her and this was part of it.

Seol then hesitantly followed Jaejin. She flicked her point finger to his head and a picture of them kissing together flashed in her head. They were on top of a tree under a night sky with a great view of flickering lights from households; she was supposing it was the underworld. She stiffened upon getting a glimpse of his memory, or rather, their memory, her heart was already racing.

“Tell me what did you see?” Jaejin asked her gently and she thought of ways how to put into words what she had seen.

“A view from the underworld, tree..us.” She mumbled and Jaejin smirked, knowing she skipped the most important part.

“That was our first kiss.” He told her and she was frozen upon hearing it. Her heart was loudly beating. “Do it again.” He told her gently.

She did as she was told unconsciously and flicked her finger again and instantly, a memory came to her. “We were running and there were demons chasing us.”

“We got caught for strolling in the city without any chaperone.”

Flicked.

“Some old bearded guy was scolding us.”

“Cut class.”

Flicked.

 “A locket.”

“My recent gift to you.”

Flicked.

“Garden of blue roses..”

“First date.”

Flicked.

“Starry night in the same garden..”

“I confessed to you.”

Flicked.

She was dumbfounded. There was no way she could get the words out of what she had just seen. With every flicked she made, Jaejin was actually raising his defenses and concentrated on a single memory for her to see. That was why the images were becoming shorter by a second. The latest memory he showed Seol however, was too overwhelming for Seol and he knew he triggered something in her by the way she reacted.

Slowly, he walked up to her and looked at her in the eyes. His gaze so loved, their memories were udeniably real, even Seol’s heart couldn’t resis any longer. Jaejin then whispered ever so softly, “The last words you said before we parted five years ago.” He reminded her, his breath touching her flushed cheeks.

Upon hearing Jaejin’s words, the image played over and over again in her head; “I love you.” She said as she kissed him on the lips one last time before saying good bye.

xx--xx

sorry for the late update i just got home from class but hey it's still the 5th day xD kekeke~ tbh, i like this chapter so i hope you like this ttoo :3

@youroppa- pmsl sophia :)) but ofc you love hongki x sophia xDD hahahaha

@ilovejinnie- yes yes!! exactly xD you got it :)) /sobbing for jinnie now though xDD

@jaceBlue- yes every 5 days ^^ im sorry if i really disappoint you this time bc this round goes to jinnie xDD

@rachelxzoe- bc sophia :)) and ofc anything for you bb :* <33

@ftisland fanatic- i update every 5 days ^^ and i hope you like the story :)

see you in 5 days again guys and thanks for the love :3 <3