Chapter 10

Fragments

 

“If we were able to seal my demon powers like that, why didn’t we just seal my memories that way also?” She asked.

“Sealing a demon’s memory is harder than sealing their powers.” He began explaining. “Unlike in sealing a power, two high demons would be enough but it’ll be harder for those demons with lower status. Sealing a demon’s memory is another story. You see, the worth of a demon’s memory is a lot more than of its power. Why? To put it simply, the knowledge a demon gathers throughout his life span is what really makes a demon strong. You can lose your powers but you can always find a way to get it back with the help of your knowledge. So for short, a demon that has no memory is like a rabbit lost in a jungle full of carnivores.”

She shivered at the thought when Jaejin said that. “Sealing one’s memory is really a difficult task even for high demons like us. Unlike our powers, you can repress it by locking it but as for memories, for you to seal it, you have to make an alternative storage for it. In your case, you chose a book as a medium. Judging by the thickness of your book, you have a lot in store; knowledge, experiences and the like. But it doesn’t necessarily need need to be a book, it could be a pig if you want to.” He explained the instance and she was caught in awe by the way he explained it perfectly. “And also, memory mediums are hard to tamper since its protection is worth of that of the demon’s power, like I said, it’s hard to do even for high demons. Bast and Diriel were keeping it for you here in the human world but some demon managed to sneak in despite the intense security and tamper with your memory.”

“Can other demons acquire that memory medium, like they can absorb it or something?” She asked, breaking his trance in explaining.

“Not really. We’re guessing that someone doesn’t want you to remember so they wanted to get rid of it but ended up scattering your memories instead.”

“Scattering? What do you mean?”

“Since you’re a keeper, the energy on that book is massive, almost impossible to break. That demon’s power might be strong but not strong enough to get rid of it, as a result, your memories were scattered.”

“Is it something tangible that maybe I can look for it?”

“It’s not. You have to get it back with your own powers. Since a spell scattered it, a spell can also bring it back together and only you can do that since it’s your memory book.”

She sighed. It looked like it wasn’t going to be easy after all. “Now that I have my demon abilities back, it’s still useless since I don’t know how to use them.” Seol said, still annoyed by that fact. She wanted to get back to those demons that killed her parents but she knew it was going to take some time since she still had to learn about her abilities.

“Well, it’ll be suicide if you go back to the underworld just to study again and I’m no letting you go back anyway. We’ll teach you then.” Jaejin offered but her face was full of doubt. “You’re currently looking at the second smartest demon of our batch.” He started giving her his credentials. “I came from one of the greatest clans in the underworld, known for intellect and massive capability of spells and furthermore, I’M THE NEXT SUCCESSOR OF THAT CLAN.” He boasted and she just smirked from everything he said.

“Okay, you’ll do.” She .

“What?” He giggled, not believing what he just heard.

“You’re just the second, not the first.” She stuck her tongue out to him and he laughed out loud even more.

“Apparently, a female demon got ahead of me because she’s far stronger because she happens to be THE KEEPER.” This got Seol taken aback, suddenly feeling the pressure.

“Looks like I have to do a lot of catching up then.”

“Definitely.”

“Well then, Mr. Second best, I leave it all up to you.” Then she headed out the door. She was surprised at how calm she was taking all of this when just a minute ago she had been overwhelmed. She was convinced that it must be her unconscious since her demon side had been awakened already.

“Do you think I’ll let you leave just like that?” Jaejin suddenly blocked the door, not giving her any chance to go any further.

“I’m done asking questions. If I ask more, my head will explode!” She said trying to push him away. But he grabbed her hand, pulled her into a hug and buried his face on her neck.

“Aren’t you going to ask about us?” Jaejin’s voice turned lonely all of a sudden but she could feel their hearts beating faster. She wanted to ask but she didn’t know exactly what to ask and besides, she was still memory-less about their relationship and the fact that her bias was suddenly her boyfriend was too overwhelming for her. “I missed you so much you have no idea how lonely I was these past five years.” He began saying and before she knew it, her arms were already wrapped around him.

“It must be painful for you.” She then said, feeling guilty for not remembering anything. “I’m sorry. I couldn’t remember anything.” She apologized, almost tearing up but she fought her tears.

“It’s okay. I could always make you remember.” He then faced her without removing his arms around her. He just stared at her with longing eyes. His eyes were gentle and it was melting every part of Seol.

“Make me remember then.” She said to him which almost sounded like a whisper.

He leaned in closer slowly, looking for any signs if she would reject a kiss from him. When he found none, he went nearer and nearer and then there was suddenly a knock on the door, breaking the moment they were in. Seol immediately jumped out of his arms and all Jaejin could do was sigh and open the door.

“Sorry to interrupt my lord, my lady, but the prince wants to talk to you.” Bast said with a complete apologetic look, knowing how much the lovers needed some time on their own.

“Very well then. I shall give the prince some burning later.” Jaejin snarled as he waved his hand to Seol, signaling her to go first.

When they got down, Jaejin sent a death glare to Jonghun and Jonghun chuckled at him. “I’m sorry if I interrupted you. We have to go back, we have a schedule.” He explained but that didn’t stop Jaejin from sending him an icy glare. “Bast, Diriel, and Adriel, I suggest you don’t leave this house until we leave for Korea, especially you Seol.”

“What do you mean by we leave for Korea?” Seol shot a glance at everyone around him but they didn’t answer and waited for the prince to do the explaining.

“Yes, you’ll come with us from now on. It’s too dangerous to let you stay here anymore.”

“What about school?”

“You have more important matters to attend to, like learning how to use your powers?”

“How did you know I got it back?”

“It’s impossible not to feel; the overflowing presence of a high demon a while ago.” Jonghun said to her and she was just left silenced by the prince. “Very well, we must leave.” Jonghun opened a portal on the floor and they all waved goodbye to them. “Come along Jaejin, you’ll get to see her later.” Jonghun dragged Jaejin and he had no choice but to let himself get dragged.

“I’ll see you later!” He said to her but she didn’t respond and avoided his gaze for she was feeling second hand embarrassment for him. He was just too love sick it was embarrassing already.

When they left, Seol turned to her “family” and stared at them and the three of them waited for her to say something. “Bast and Diriel are your real names right?” She just asked without thinking.

“Yes my lady.” Bast and Diriel replied to her politely.

“And I’m guessing you’ll be calling me, my lady from now on?”

“Yes, my lady.”

Seol tried not to laugh from their response but she couldn’t contain it and burst into a laughter. The three of them looked at each other, puzzled why she was laughing. After a while, her laughs died down and her face turned serious and she looked at them with a soft heart breaking gaze.

“I guess I’ll have to stop calling you mom and dad then?” She let out a soft painful smile. “Anyway, when are we leaving?” She changed the topic in order for them not to see the sadness she was feeling.

“The prince and the rest are bound to leave Japan the next day. The preparations for our departure were taken care of already, personally by the prince. We’ll board the same plane and we’ll be leaving on the same building as well.” Diriel explained the details thoroughly, pretending not to notice the real feelings of Seol.

“I also sent someone to do the necessary preparations when we live there. Everything is being taken care of as of the moment, my lady.” Bast continued and did the same as Diriel.

“I see.” She nodded to acknowledge their reports but she couldn’t deny she was saddened by the obvious formality of their relationship all of a sudden. “I’ll just be in my room then. I’ll rest for a bit.” She then walked out and went upstairs and immediately dropped herself on her bed, feeling like all her energy was drained with all what had happened in such a short time.

The other five demons were waiting for their schedule back in the studio. The feel was lighter now since they geot to talk to Seol again but their worries were only covered up by those smiles and laughs for the true problem was catching up with them already.

The prince was the most uneasy of them all. He couldn’t think of any way how a demon managed to sneak in to the human world without his knowledge and it almost killed Seol if Adriel didn’t happen to come on time. He already got the list of the guests and servants during the King’s party last time, since he wanted to start his search there. The king himself said that the only ones invited to the party were the ones who knew about their stay in the human world. But he couldn’t look through it until their schedule was done.

“I’ll visit Seol tonight.” Jaejin informed Jonghun and this broke Jonghun’s line of thinking. He just nodded to him and went back to thinking, knowing that his friend had waited for this moment long enough.

“Can we come with you hyung?” Minhwan looked at him with puppy eyes and he knew he couldn’t say no to that.

“But of course!” He agreed and he clapped from excitement and Seunghyun chuckled at his reaction. “How about you hyung? Are you going?” He turned to Jonghun who was lost in his own thoughts and he didn’t reply immediately. “Hyung?”

“Oh, sorry about that. I was just thinking about something. I’m afraid I won’t be joining you tonight. You go without me.” Jonghun said to them, his thoughts were preoccupied with the matter.

“You heard the prince.” Hongki butted in.

“You’ll come with me tonight Hongki.”

“Bu—“

“No buts.”

“Boo.” Hongki pouted and the younger three just giggled at their hyung.

After their schedule was finished, Jonghun and Hongki immediately disappeared somewhere while the three were left in their dorm. Jaejin, who was rather excited to see his girlfriend, casted a portal spell as soon as they got back to their dorm.

“I’m going first.” He called out to the younger two.

“Ya! Hyung! Wait for us!” Seunghyun rushed over to the portal and Minhwan was right behind him.

When they got to the place, they found Adriel watching TV with a blank look on her face. Minhwan instantly sat next to Adriel while Jaejin and Seunghyun looked for Seol but she wasn’t around.

“Welcome back lords.” Bast greeted them.

“Where’s Seol?” Jaejin asked in haste.

“She’s in her room resting.”

“Since when?”

“Since you left my lord.”

“She hasn’t left the room ever since?”

“No my lord.”

“I’ll go check on her then.”

Bast then gave way and bowed to the young lord and proceeded to make refreshments for them. Jaejin worriedly knocked on her bedroom door, but he got no response in return. He then decided to intrude and came in without her approval, only to see a sleeping Seol.

He slowly sat beside her, making sure he wouldn’t wake her up. His eyes were filled with longing as he watched her in her sleep. Minutes passed like that, he was just staring at her lovingly without her knowing. He couldn’t believe it that he was staring at her right now and not through that crystal ball he had been doing for five years. Just so he could believe what he was seeing, he touched her cheeks softly. When his skin touched hers, her eyes fluttered open and Jaejin took his hands away. But it was too late; she opened her eyes and was shocked to see Jaejin in front of her. She rubbed her eyes, making sure she wasn’t dreaming and he chuckled when she did that.

“Your eyes will get hurt if you keep rubbing them that way.” He pulled her hands away from her eyes. “I am really here; you don’t have to check if you are really awake.” He said gently and she blushed instantly.

“I didn’t...” She denied her true thoughts and his chuckle faded but he still smiled sweetly at her.

“I’m happy you’re still the same Seol I know.” He said and suddenly stood up. “Let’s eat! You haven’t eaten dinner yet right?”

“What time is it?”

“A little past 11 I think?”

But when she turned to her clock it was almost midnight already.

“What little? It’s almost midnight!”

“Oh, I guess I didn’t notice.”

“Since when were you here?”

“11? I don’t know. I’m not sure.”

“And you’ve been here the entire time?”

“I guess so.” He rubbed the back of his head and chuckled and Seol studied his face.

Her face softened and she couldn’t deny that she was happy when she heard this. She felt a lot happier and warmer inside than when Jun said sweet things to her. This time she was feeling contented, not asking any question but just liking the moment that they were together.

“Let’s go eat then.” She smiled to him and he followed her.

xx—xx

well, apparently this one is boring >< /bows sorry if it's late guys.. xD AND OMG YOUR COMMENTS.. EVERYONE'S COMMENTS ON CHAPTER 9 OMG /CREYS ;A; i was actually pretty worried bc reconciliation scenes are ksjhdakjshdka

@ilovejinnie- omg jakshdkjas ;A; really..thank you thank you.. <3 im glad you liked chap 9

@babo_cy-  ;A; d'aaww that's so sweet of you..maybe bc it's jaejin so it's easier to imagine xD kekekekeke <3 bias..

@rachelxzoe- RACHELITAAAA ILY ;A; but you will kill me for the next chappies omg.. /scared xD

@jaceBlue-i was actually trying to picture that scene out so hard and i was like xD omg.. keke..their powers..each of them will be introduced in one of the chapters ^^

@ChocoBun- hi bb ^^ you'll probably see this after 3 weeks, you have your exams right? and you must have done well.. :) <3 congrats! kekekeke <3

SO THANKFUL TO EVERYONE FOR READING SUBSCRIBING AND COMMENTING MOST OF ALL ;A; *SOBS* <3 /THROWS HEARTS