Part 36

DESTINY

6 months later...

Both Jungwoon and Kihyun is laying down on the grass, staring at the sky. They have done this for almost two hours now. 

"Seoul really don't have the brightest star" Kihyun commented trying to start a conversation. He can hear Jungwon let out a little laugh. "In a few days, Insung will be out. Do you think he can adapt?". They received the decision today and the court held that the decision made in the Joo Nari case is unconstitutional and it means Insung will be release soon. How fast Insung will be free is depends on how fast his correctional officer will do their paperwork. 

"He has too" Jungwoon sit up. "Six or was it seven months ago?" he can't really remember how long since he first meet Kihyun as they keep meeting each other every day since then. "When I first file for the judicial review and my application was denied on the ground it should be made within three months after the decision was made, I actually give up. Like really give up. Insung too told me to stop thinking about him and focus more on my life. But, you help me through. I can't believe you are my mentor when I'm older than you" 

"Did I hurt your pride?" Kihyun asked, still have no intention to get up. 

"I used to pay attention a lot to my pride but the older I become, the more I realize that pride doesn't keep me away from cold at night or keep my stomach full. I gave up on it long ago" Jungwoon replied. 

Kihyun smiles. Great life quotes, he thought. 

"Let's not talking about the case for tonight. That's all we talked about all this time. How is your husband?. The last time I saw him, he was recovering"

"He's great" Kihyun sit up. "I was in an explosion. Though I can't remember much, it still traumatized me. My husband return to work after 8 weeks of rest and was allowed to perform surgery two weeks later. The explosion scene is right in front of his working place, he remembers what happened and passes by it every day. Yet, he shows no sign of trauma" 

"There's a reason why he becomes the youngest Chief of A&E in our country, Kihyun. I'm sure it is mostly because he is an amazing trauma surgeon and part of it is because he is good at dealing with trauma" Jungwoon said then he smiles. "Just imagining your son starting his story on the parents' day with 'To my parents who have survived the explosion'. Sang Wook is such a peculiar kid but in a good way. I hope he stays as he is. This world is too cruel for kids like him" 

Kihyun just smiles. Even after months of working together, Kihyun never really got to understand why Jungwoon is so pessimistic about life. He frowned a little as he feels a weird sensation in his stomach. 

"Are you ok?" Jungwoon notices that Kihyun is holding his stomach and the minor facial expression change on his face. 

"Nothing" Kihyun check his watch, 7.30 at night. "I need to go home. It's our monthly gathering day. Come with me?"

"No, just send my regard to your husband" Jungwoon reject the offer without even giving it a thought. 

"Are you sure? It's TGIF" Kihyun try to persuade the man, even though he already knows the answer. 

"Yeah, I want to enjoy this view a little more" Jungwoon waves his hand, even though Kihyun is still standing in front of him.  

"Just don't stay here too long. The breeze is quite cold, you will be sick" Kihyun said before he heads to his car. 

**********************

"Wait..." Hyunwoo said when he sees Jooheon is about to start the fire for the barbeque. "Let me do it" he walks closer to the young man. 

"It's ok" Jooheon replied. He knows exactly why Hyunwoo is acting like that towards him. "I'm a father of two now. I can't be scared of fire forever" he added as he smiles.

"Did you talk about this to anyone?" Hyunwoo sound genuinely concern. 

Jooheon just shrugged. He lights up the fire and he can see that Hyunwoo is ready to jump into action if anything happened. Once the charcoal is burning, the fire becomes bigger and Jooheon become a little taken aback. 

"You should talk about this with someone, Jooheon. You can't do this alone" Hyunwoo said as he wraps his hand over Jooheon shoulder to support the young man.

"I'm going to the washroom" Jooheon replied and left without saying anything else to Hyunwoo. 

"What was that?" Hoseok asked as he approaches Hyunwoo. 

"Just..." Hyunwoo ponders whether he should talk about it to Hoseok or not. "Where is Chessa?" he chooses to change the topic. 

"With her brothers and sister" Hoseok answered. If Hyunwoo refuses to answer his question, it means it's something personal so he doesn't push over the matter.

"Even during our first meeting, I can tell you have a kind heart. But, never cross my mind you will be adopting Chessa for Minhyuk" Hyunwoo commented as he makes sure the charcoal is burning properly. 

Hoseok just smiles a little. Many have been asking him why did he decide to adopt a baby when he has no interest in getting married. He knows many people who get married but never plan to have kids. He just can't understand why adopting a baby without the intention to get married is a big issue. "The violence complaint against Minhyuk, what actually happened?" he asked. He knows Minhyuk adoption application is denied due to the record of violent complaints against him but he never knows the details. Every time he wanted to ask about it Minhyuk, he keeps forgetting. Nowadays, their conversation revolves around Chessa.

"It was filed by his patient's husband. She is overdue with a huge baby and Minhyuk suggested C-sec but the husband disagree, insisted his wife have a natural birth. Thinking it was because of their financial issue, Minhyuk follows the couple's decision. As expected, they had a complication during the delivery. Both mother and baby died. When Minhyuk told about it to the husband, the husband says something about how much money he needs to waste on his wife and baby funeral. Shamelessly suggesting for the hospital to take his wife and baby body as the cadaver because he has no time for a funeral anyway.  That's when Minhyuk lost control and hit the husband. He filed a report against Minhyuk and asked for compensation. For an unknown reason, he withdraws his complaint before the case is heard before the board"

"He deserves to disappear" Hoseok replied. He can feel how frustrated Minhyuk felt back then. "Because a man like him, Minhyuk lost his chance to be a father" he sighed. 

"Thanks to you, he still has the chance to be an amazing uncle" Hyungwon shows up with the meat for grilling. "I wanted to adopt Chessa for him, but I have a juvenile record. I mean had. The record is deleted when I reach my majority age" 

"That's a joke, isn't it?" Hoseok look at Hyungwon with a 'you just lie to me' look. But, Hyunwoo shakes his head. "He actually had a juvenile record?" he asked the trauma surgeon. Hyunwoo nodded at his question.

"What do you do?" Hoseok asked. 

"I do what I do best. I am mentally assaulted by those who physically assaulted me. You know, why to bother inflicted a physical pain if we can just mess with their brain" instead of telling them what he actually has done, Hyungwon gives them a hint. 

Hoseok and Hyunwoo look at each other. For the first time, they are glad that they never press the psychiatrist's nerve. 

Jooheon is shocked to see Changkyun is standing in front of the washroom when he is about to go out. His boyfriend is just smiling at him. Jooheon takes his time to understand the meaning behind that smile. "Hyunwoo told you?" he asked after a moment of thinking. 

"No, I knew since you said you are suspended. I've read it on the news" Changkyun explains. "I said nothing because you seem reluctant to talk about it. But, the storm brings back the bad memory and I feel bad for not being such a help"

"There's nothing much you can do anyway. Unless, giving some encouraging words and worry about me, which is why I don't talk to you about it at all. I don't want you to feel useless..."

"Is that how I make you feel when I faced my PTSD?" Changkyun cut off his boyfriend words. 

"A little. I mean you are having a nightmare, you can't fall asleep. You are in constant fear and all I can do is talk to you, giving you distraction" Jooheon sighed. 

"Stop loving me more than I love you, honey. You can make me worry about you and I want to be worried about you like you worry about me all the time" Changkyun replied. "You can tell me everything, ok?"

Jooheon pulls his boyfriend into a hug. "I have something you should know" 

"What is it?" Changkyun asked, sound a little concerned. However, the moment Jooheon pulls him into the washroom he knows immediately, it is not about something he should be worried about. "We are not..." he wanted to talk some sense to his boyfriend but Jooheon already silenced him with a kiss. Ever since they adopted Jinwoo and Jinhee a few months ago, they barely have time together and he can understand why Jooheon is reacting like this. Despite the understanding, he feels it's inappropriate to have a 'fun time' in his brother in law's house. Especially, they are only a few steps away from the living room where the children are. But, Jooheon is already overpowering him. The least Changkyun can do is make sure the door behind him is locked before they start their business.

When Kihyun entered the house, he can see the children are in the living room by themselves. Jinwoo, the oldest of the group seems to be busy with his homework. While Jinhee and Sang Wook is playing with Chessa. None of the children notices him so he straight away goes to the kitchen where Minhyuk is cooking by himself. "Where are the others?" he asked.

"Your husband and my husbands are in the backyard. Grilling the meat. The Lee-Im couple is probably somewhere unleashing some inner frustration" 

Kihyun frowned at Minhyuk replied as he takes a sit on the kitchen counter. Not far from the stove, where Minhyuk is cooking.

"Don't judge me, I can tell. Their hormones are out of places these days" Minhyuk added. 

"You can tell?" Kihyun asked in disbelief. 

"I'm an Obgyn, Kihyun. I deal with hormonal people every day" Minhyuk naturally asked Kihyun to taste the soup for him and the latter did it without asking questions. He received a thumb up and smiles proudly. "Congratulations, I heard you and your friend won the case" Minhyuk replied as he returns to the stove. 

"If it wasn't because of Joo Nari father. I don't think we will win the case" Kihyun replied. The weird sensation in his stomach come back and he tries to ignore it by keep talking. "I happened to hear a rumour that he's pulling his string so the court will grant the application. I guess it was right. I mean he is well known for his fairness when he was a member of assembly" Kihyun explains. 

"We need more people like him, aren't we?" Minhyuk stands in front of Kihyun as they wait for the stew to boil a little more. "Spill it out," Minhyuk said. He notices Kihyun has been acting a little strange since the moment he walks in earlier.

"I just feel a little uncomfortable in my stomach" Kihyun is a little surprised when Minhyuk suddenly checks on him without any heads up. The Obgyn is pressing gently against his belly underneath his shirt. Kihyun just hopes the children did not suddenly enter the kitchen because this might look a little weird for them. 

"When was your last inter_course?" Minhyuk asked casually. 

Kihyun frowned at the question. Immediately shaking his head when he understood the real meaning behind the question. 

"I believe what you describe as uncomfortableness is actually a flutter" Minhyuk replace Kihyun hand on the spot he was touching. 

Kihyun eyes went wide when he actually feels the movement.