Part 85

DESTINY

Hyunwoo carefully pushed the gate, revealing a woman whom he has not seen for years. Seeing how she is still able to move around the yard with no trouble - attending to her flower pot, makes Hyunwoo feel glad that the woman isn't ageing so fast. Then, he feels a nudge on his side. It's from his wife. "Don't worry. We are not trespassing" he said then he holds his wife's hand firmly and gently pulls him to enter the yard.

As they are approaching the woman, she suddenly turns around and goes, "My Hyunwoo is that you?"

"Yes, grandmother. It's me. Your Hyunwoo" Hyunwoo happily answered - totally not aware of the confused look on his wife's face. He let go of Kihyun's hand so he can give the grandmother a hug.

"Aigoo" Sohn Myung Hee release herself, and then she cupped Hyunwoo's face. She observes the face for a moment before smiling wider. "My Hyunwoo is happy" she commented - voice a bit shaking as she feels a little overwhelmed with this surprise visit. "You didn't call me even once after you left" she added.

"You told me to come looking for you if I am having a hard time" Hyunwoo replied as he holds the woman's hand gently.

"If I know you would never call me at all, I wouldn't say that. I should tell you that you can call me anytime you want" Myung Hee replied before she notices there is someone else with Hyunwoo.

"Grandmother. I want to introduce you to my wife. Yoo Kihyun" Hyunwoo pull Kihyun closer to his side, "She is my landlord. I used to rent her house, the one on the top of the hill. Her name is Sohn Myung Hee because we have the same surname... people have sometimes mistaken us for a biological grandson and grandmother" he briefly explains.

"Nice to meet you, grandmother" Kihyun politely bow at the woman who is reaching out to give him a hug instead. Without thinking much, Kihyun let himself be hugged and for some unknown reason, it makes him feel content. The hug feels so gentle and warm.

"Did my Hyunwoo gives you a hard time sweetheart? You are so thin" Myung Hee said as she rubs the latter back.

Kihyun is taken aback by this whole situation. It is true he and Hyunwoo have been married for years now, but he barely introduces himself as Hyunwoo's wife in public because that will only lead to a whole lengthy explanation situation about his rare gender. It doesn't matter if it is his social circle or Hyunwoo's social circle, the 'I am an interse-x' explanation is always needed. However, this woman who he has never met before is completely the opposite. Usually, even when people did not ask straightforwardly, they will at least give him a stare.

"To be more specific, it's because of me and the mini us," Hyunwoo said instead because he can see Kihyun seem a little lost.

"You are a father now?" Myung Hee sounds so excited.

"Yes, grandmother. We have four sons and a unicorn baby girl" Hyunwoo answered. "We didn't bring the boys this time because this is actually a healing trip for my wife. He is recovering from a car accident"

"I heard about the car accident on the news" Myung Hee wraps her arms around Kihyun's waist and carefully starts walking with him, Hyunwoo is following closely. "When the news stated that a criminal lawyer was involved in a truck accident and mentioned that the lawyer is married to you, everyone was so concerned about you and we all decided to perform a prayer together"

"I don't think the news has directly mentioned my name" Hyunwoo replied. Then, he remembers the news has mentioned his workplace and his job.

"Everyone in this village can tell who you are just by looking at your shadows, Hyunwoo" Myung Hee replied. "We didn't know what kind of injury you had, but everyone in this village prays for your recovery," she said to Kihyun. "Some villagers are so disappointed to find out that you are married through the news" she continued as she unlocked the door. She then invited her guests in, "You still remember your way in here, right? Go wait for me in the dining room" she told Hyunwoo as she is heading to the kitchen.

Kihyun usually would offer to help but was too occupied trying to process the whole situation making him forget to offer help.  

"You look like you have a lot in mind" Hyunwoo commented as he pulls the chair for his wife to sit at the dining table. He makes sure Kihyun is properly seated before taking a seat himself - next to his wife.

"She didn't judge me" Kihyun mumbles.

"That's because she isn't seeing with her eyes. She is seeing through her senses. My grandmother is blind, since birth. Her senses are quite advanced since she depends on them to go through her daily life" Hyunwoo explained and find his wife's dumbfounded expression is cute. "She helps me a lot in the orphanage and helps me, even more, when I left the orphanage. That's why I choose to work in Jeju. I want to repay her kindness. I used to rent a room in this house. Then, she let me use her homestay as my marital house. You know what?" he whispered a bit, "... her mother used to work as a chef for a royal family abroad. Rumour says that she is the daughter of the crown prince, but is not eligible to be an heiress because she is born out of wedlock" he added.

"No wonder she looks a little like a foreigner" Kihyun whispered back. Then, he eyes his husband. "Your godfather is the Minister of Health and your godmother is a royal family. I don't think your life is normal as you think it was"

"There are not officially my godparents though. Just a sponsor who got too attached and treat me like their own" Hyunwoo replied. "... and you sound like a mother who wishes to kill her own son is more normal than my life" he added - slightly pouting.

Kihyun nodded, "Considering, I am the child and mental illness is real" - he sighed a little. "Since you mentioned it, what would you do if I become like my mother?"

"You won't be like your mother. Even if you experience postpartum depression after childbirth, it won't get worsen or developed into something much more complicated than postpartum depression like your mother" Hyunwoo said casually. "First, we have Chae Hyungwon. Second, we have Sohn Sang Wook. On top of those two, you have me as your husband. The one and only life companion for Yoo Kihyun" he added.

Kihyun finds it amusing how Hyunwoo sound so confident in his last sentence. "Minhyuk is right. We are reckless" he said before sighing. "Since my brain and my body are not communicating well with each other, the next few weeks we need to be careful" he added as he wipes his face - inhaling a deep breath.

"I know one pharmacy is giving a discount if you buy a test kit in bulk. I will go buy the test kit later and make sure you take the test until we get a definite answer that we are not positive"

Kihyun is about to say something, but he didn't when he sees Myung Hee walking towards them.

Hyunwoo immediately stands up to help but was told to wait before he can even move. 

Myung Hee put down the tray on the table - carefully serving each bowl to her guest.

Hyunwoo and Kihyun take a look at each other when they see a janchi-guksu on the tray - noddles that always serve at the wedding as it symbolized longevity.

"After the news, the villagers talk about both of you a lot. I know both of you are orphans and have no proper wedding ceremony. I am also aware this is too late, but... may I offer my blessing?"

"Grandmother... " Hyunwoo is at a loss for words.

Kihyun knows the woman cannot see him, but he just nodded because he is afraid he might start crying if he speaks up.

Myung Hee goes to stand behind the couple. Then, she holds Hyunwoo and Kihyun's hands in each of her hands before saying, "May your marriage always bring glory to God, joy to one another and blessings to your family for many generations to come. May love and laughter fill your hearts and your home throughout all the days of your lives. May you face every challenge hand-in-hand and side-by-side knowing that with God's grace, you will conquer all obstacles together. May the world be forever a better place because the two of you have chosen each other to spend eternity together. I sincerely wish for the longevity of your marriage" she kissed both Kihyun and Hyunwoo on their forehead.

"Thank you, grandmother," Hyunwoo said as he wipes his tears.

"Thank you, grandmother" Kihyun said too as he gives the woman a quick hug to show her that he really appreciate the gesture.

"No need to thank me. Both of you deserve to be happy" Myung Hee replied as she moves away to take a seat in front of the couple. "Eat. It won't be tasty if the noodle is cold" She pours a glass of water for both Hyunwoo and Kihyun. "Let me know if you need more. I have more in the kitchen" she smiles, "No wonder I was craving some noodles today" she mumbles to herself.

***************************

As Hyunwoo excuses himself for a moment to go to the pharmacy he was talking about earlier, Kihyun and Myung Hee spend some time with each other in the backyard. Since Myung Hee keeps caressing his hand as they are sitting with each other, her hand keep reminding him of Madam Na. He suddenly missed her a lot.

"Hyunwoo was in a deep mess when you first meet him, right?" Myung Hee starts a conversation after a moment.

"Not really" Kihyun simply answered. Compare to the situation Hyunwoo was in and he was in, he believes he is the one who was in a deep mess.

Myung Hee smiles, "She is right"

"Who?" Kihyun is curious.

"What do you know about Dasom, sweetheart?" Myung Hee asked.

"Not much. I feel like I would be reopening an old wound if I asked too much about her" Kihyun answered honestly.

Myung Hee smiles even wider. "Dasom told me a fairytale once. A fairytale about two special boys living with a fairy godmother. A boy who feels too much is named Woo, and a boy who touches life is named Hyun. One day, the fairy godmother found a dying girl on the street and her younger brother who is special, a little different from others. Her younger brother can heal himself - and the fairy godmother brings these two siblings home and gives them shelter. The girl who is full of hatred towards the world starts to love the world she is living in because, for the first time, she sees her younger brother is not the odd one. She is, and that changes her perspective about life a lot"

Kihyun feels like Dasom is talking about them at the Joy Villa, but he said nothing.

"If you are living in the darkness all life like me, you learned to see things without actually seeing them. When Dasom told me the story and explain the character to me, I see them. When I touched you earlier, you are just like how I imagined. You are the Hyun of her fairytale"

Kihyun is speechless.

"Before Hyunwoo moves out, I remember his tall friend... he always comes here to check on Hyunwoo after the cruise accident. He is the Woo, right?"

"If we are thinking about the same person, he is. How can you know?" Kihyun is genuinely curious.

"I told you I can see without actually seeing, didn't I?" Myung Hee smiles as she holds Kihyun's hand tighter. "Dasom describes you as someone who touches life because life hasn't been nice for you, but you still remain nice and kind"

Kihyun just squeezes the grandmother's hand a little because he has no words to say.

"To be honest, I know Hyunwoo and Dasom's marriage won't last long. I just didn't expect it would end that way"

"Why?" Kihyun asked out of curiosity.

"First of all, they have a different perspective. Dasom believes in happily ever after. Hyunwoo believes that nothing last forever. Hyunwoo always does his best because he never knew when it would be the last time he will be able to give his everything. Somehow, his perspective changed. One day, Dasom is no longer his priority - the happily ever after is. Dasom eventually comes to the realization that happily ever after requires a lot of sacrifices and effort. They are both busy working and... I really thought they are going to divorce each other. Never cross my mind that death would break them apart"

"What happened, grandmother?"

"Hyunwoo is a simple man. All he ever wanted is a family of his own. Dasom is not fond of the idea. She raises her younger brother alone and had her share of how hard it is to raise children. She isn't ready and Hyunwoo understands. The plan of having children is never brought up again. Then, Dasom got hurt at work. Hyunwoo is just concerned about her and he suggested that she quit, and find something else to do, somehow Dasom feels the suggestion is hurting her pride. They got into a fight and of course, Hyunwoo didn't press the matter anymore. Their marriage is really on the edge of crumbling down when Dasom finally decided to let go of her ego. She finally resigned and become a full-time wife. But, it takes a long time to fix a broken ship and Dasom got a little impatient - she suddenly agrees to have children. Honestly, infertility is not what the problem is. Personally, I believe they are not able to have children because one of them is not ready. People may think Dasom is selfish and not a good wife, but I can understand her. All of her life, she lives it for her younger brother. She gives up everything to raise him properly. Hyunwoo is the only one she can really call hers. The thought of sharing him with others can be terrifying"

That's why Changkyun having a hard time accepting her passing, Kihyun thought.

"When the accident happened when the search and rescue are stopped. We are all heartbroken for Hyunwoo. He was working so hard to build his happily ever after with her, and that dream was gone in a blink of an eye. The extra working hours, all those sleepless nights, and all the hard work to be the best suddenly lost their meaning. Hyunwoo becomes self-destructing even though he wasn't aware of it. He starts making mistakes at work and luckily it wasn't a big one. There are a few times I got called from the hospital because Hyunwoo didn't come to work" 

"Where did he go?"

"The beach. Staring at the sea, hoping for his happily ever after to return to him once again"

Kihyun can feel his heart shattered when he imagines Hyunwoo waiting at the beach alone for something uncertain, for something impossible.

"Dasom was a coast guard and she was always passionate about it. So, I told him that Dasom is not gone - she is on eternal patrol"

Finding out Dasom was a coast guard comes as a shock to Kihyun. That's the reason why she is able to save him - because saving lives is what she does for a living.

"Initially, she wanted to join the army. But, that means she has to live away from her younger brother. That's why she chooses to become a coast guard. She can still work, make decent money and take care of him.  The sole survivor of the cruise explosion, I believe Dasom is the one who saved him"

Kihyun stays silent.

"I once asked her why she chooses such a hard job to make money for her brother when she can do something else. Dasom is beautiful. She can be a model or a singer... but, she chooses to be a coast guard. She said it because of her favourite fairytale. The lesson learned she got from the fairytale was help comes to those who need it. She said there is always someone out there wishing to be saved, just like the girl in the fairytale. She said her wish was answered, and she wants to be like the fairy godmother and the two special boys. That's when I realized, she isn't talking about a fairytale. She was talking about her experience"

"Why are you so nice to everyone when people are discriminating you all the time?" Dayoung said to Kihyun who is busy tucking in the sleeping Si Woo on the couch.

"Because we never know what kind of hard time the people we meet are going through. Being nice is good for everyone" Kihyun innocently answered.

"Being nice will only make people take advantage of you" Dayoung replied as she gently carrying the sleeping Daniel off the sofa - Daniel and Si Woo fall asleep as they are watching a cartoon.

"Si Woo only picks up a hurtful feeling. It's really hard for him. It makes him tired all the time. That's why he sleep a lot.  I want him to picks a happy feeling too. I want him to go out and not feeling tired when comes back home" Kihyun said as he watches Dayoung who is about to leave froze for a moment before she turn to look at him. "All Si Woo want is to feel good and I am too young to do anything big. So, I choose to be nice to people I meet so he can pick up a good feeling when we are together" he added.

"Why would you? He is not your responsibility"

"Because Dayoung-ie nuna,  sometimes we have to answer our own prayer. I... want to feel good about myself too"

Kihyun brain randomly remembers the conversation he has with Dasom at the Joy Villa years ago.

"I am not saying that Hyunwoo and Dasom are mismatched, but love is not the only thing important in marriage" Myung Hee cupped Kihyun's face. "Dasom is right when she said you touch people's lives"

"I didn't"

"You do, Yoo Kihyun. When the news of the accident was reported, a lot of the villagers know who you are. They said you always take cases which is hard to do. I also heard people talking about how you fight for your client to prove their innocence despite the circumstantial evidence strongly suggesting they are guilty of their crimes. Those people a frame for a crime they didn't do, deep inside of them they are just like Dasom... slowly hating the world. You probably don't notice, but these people pray for someone to believe their story, to fight for them, to save them - and you, you are the answer to their prayer. The hatred growing inside them, you replace it with hope which blooms into a second chance at living. You show them that help will come to those who really need it and if they remain true to themselves, the truth will prevail itself" 

Kihyun tries his best to hold back his tears.

"I was worried when Hyunwoo decided to marry Dasom because they are both a leader type. Leadership is about vision and responsibility. The power of a leader comes from his or her supporter. I can tell Hyunwoo is a lot stronger today because you are his source of power, you are the supporter that he needs" Myung Hee pulls her hands away from Kihyun's face and she pulls him into a hug instead. "I know people said a true leader creates another leader, not a follower. But, for me... a true leader is a person who makes you feel you are equally important despite your position. Don't you think so?"

Kihyun just nodded as he failed to hold his tears anymore. "Thank you, grandmother," he said while sobbing.

*************************

"What are you thinking?" Hyunwoo asked. Kihyun who is cuddling onto him is just shaking his head. "Did our visit today bother you?" he asked.

Kihyun lifted up his head to look at his husband's face.

Hyunwoo smiles, "I saw you cry when grandmother hugs you. I bet she tells you the story about me and Dasom. Now, you know why I don't really talk about my marriage with her. Other than we love each other, there is nothing much to tell"

"I used to think love makes everything much better" Kihyun replied.

"Too much love can be dangerous too. I like what we have. We love each other just enough. A little mixture of insecurity makes us careful - it leaves us with no choice... that we need to trust each other and work together to make this relationship work, to make sure the forever home we build did not crumble down"

Kihyun smiles before he laid down on his husband's chest again. "I was surprised when grandmother said Dasom was a retired coast guard"

"She was great at her job. While I was swimming to win a competition, she was swimming to save a life. She's admirable" Hyunwoo smiles a little, then stares at Kihyun for a moment. "I fall for you, at first sight, Kihyun. When I know that you are the precious life she saved, I love you even more"

"You prayed for my misery though" Kihyun replied. He can't help but giggle when Hyunwoo suddenly get on top of him and blow him on his stomach.  "Stop. It tickles" he pleaded. What a way to change the topic, he thought.

"Nope.  I love your giggles," Hyunwoo said before he proceeds to leave his trace on his wife's body.

"Just don't leave marks in the exposed area, okay" Kihyun reminds his husband as he let the latter do whatever he wants to do. "I wonder what would Minhyuk do to punish us when he knows about this" he accidentally said out loud - making Hyunwoo abruptly stop and pull away from him. "Sorry. That was supposed to be in my thought" he quickly said to his husband.

"What if Minhyuk already know because Hyungwon picks up your sense? You are his conscience" Hyunwoo replied with a blank expression on his face.

Then something else comes to Kihyun's mind. "Rather than Hyungwon, I am more concern if Sang Wook foresees this and that's why he insisted we come here by ourselves?" he blurts out.

"If Sang Wook foresees this and didn't try to stop us, isn't that a good thing?" Hyunwoo sounds confused.

"I think yes" Kihyun answered before he gives it a thought. "Is that mean we should stop or should we continue? I mean if Sang Wook didn't stop us - then it's either we are not going to get pregnant here or we are - both ends are good news" he added.

Hyunwoo thinks about it carefully. "We had it yesterday though"

"Mean?"

"I mean stopping or continuing is no longer relevant here. The only choice we have is to wait for the outcome" Hyunwoo briefly explained.

"Right... " Kihyun pulls Hyunwoo closer, "Do you want to go all-in?" he whispered.

"Do you?" Hyunwoo whispered back.

"Remind me why did Minhyuk tell us to not get pregnant too soon again?"

"The drug he used to trigger the miscarriage takes a long time to disappear from your body system" Hyunwoo answered, "Isn't that mean whatever we are doing here doesn't matter? The conception won't happen?" he sounded confused.

"You are the doctor. Why are you asking me?" Kihyun replied - sounded confused too.

"I'm a trauma surgeon, Kihyun. I fixed severe injuries and internal bleeding. This is out of my speciality"

Hyunwoo's phone vibrates on the nightstand. He gets off the top of his wife to pick up his phone.

"Work?" Kihyun asked as he gets up to sit and then fix his clothes. Instead of answering, Hyunwoo shows him the phone which says I will talk to you when you come back. When he checks the sender ID, it's stated by Dr Lee Minhyuk. "He probably just wants to discuss something else," he said - and as if that is a queue, his phone beeped.

"Should I check that out?" Hyunwoo asked because Kihyun just stares at the phone like he was thinking 'Nope. That's not my phone'. Hyunwoo picks up the phone despite Kihyun not responding to him. He unlocked it and swiped the new message notification - revealing a text from Hoseok. "It's from Hoseok and he said Sang Wook sleep talking. I will wait for you here Dasom-ie. Then, he asks what the hell did you do" he reads the text out loud.

Kihyun just gives Hyunwoo a blank stare.

Hyunwoo just keeps staring at his wife, patiently waiting for a reaction. Instead of talking to him, Kihyun returns to his side of the bed and quietly lays down - back facing him. Hyunwoo put both phones on the nightstand before spooning his wife. He can tell Kihyun is quietly crying but he said nothing about it. He just let his wife be - giving Kihyun all the time he needs.

"Do you really think she is coming back to us?" Kihyun said once he feels calm again.

"Of course, I do. Though sometimes his dream didn't happen straight away, Sang Wook's dream has never been wrong so far"

"What if he is wrong this time?"

"I will be with you until his dreams come true. I will be with you even if the dream doesn't come true. I will be with you until you grow bored with me" Hyunwoo answered as he let Kihyun turns around to face him.

"What about nothing last forever?" Kihyun carefully asked.

"It's true nothing last forever. But my forever is as long as we are together, I don't know for how long, but I would love you until we are no longer together. Maybe I will still love you even when our forever is ended. I don't know"

"I don't know either. All I know is I won't be able to welcome anyone else into my life if our forever end" Kihyun said before stealing a kiss from his husband.

"So, what do you think about... let just try our best to be good parents since we don't know how long is our forever is going to last?" Hyunwoo asked and he can see Kihyun become so confused. "Sang Wook said he will be waiting" he added.

Kihyun burst into a laugh. He gets on top of Hyunwoo, "I thought you would never ask" he said before 'attacking' his husband.

Hyunwoo tries his best to contain his laughter as he let Kihyun be the one who is in charge this time - he just finds the whole situation is 'chaotic'. They go through a different 'genre' in a blink of an eye. The amusement does not stay long though because his wife is a master of searching and teasing his sensitive spot.