Part 19

DESTINY

"Lawyer Yoo, Lawyer Lee. This is a very rare occasion. What makes a criminal attorney and corporate lawyer appear in front of my humble family courtroom today?" Judge Byeon Yoora said as she looks at Kihyun and Hoseok through her glasses fierce. 

Hoseok is nervous. He's been following Kihyun to court quite often these days. But, this is the first time he sees a strict judge like her. It's not like the other judges he met before are playful or anything but they don't look like they are about to throw something at you all the time. They only look serious when the proceedings started. But, Judge Byeon Yoora is ready to flip the table the moment she entered the room. 

"Your Honor, we are making an appearance for our client The Hope Foundation. The organization is making an application to reverse the three stateless child status..."

"Wait a minute, Lawyer Yoo. It appears your opposition is the government, Minister of Foreign Affairs. Isn't this matter should be heard in the Higher Court?" the judge sounded confused. 

"Actually, we made an application to the Higher Court, two months ago. But, our application is dismissed on the ground that the issue of citizenship for minors falls within the jurisdiction of the family court" Kihyun explains calmly. 

"So, this is your second application. Did the Minister reaches out to you for some out-of-court settlement after your first application?" the judge asks while she goes through the affidavit.

"No, Your Honor" Kihyun answered.

"According to this affidavit, these three children were born and raised in Korea before they are sold to the black market by their own legal guardian" Yoora sounded disgusted. "Do you have proof to support your claim?" she asks. 

"Allow me to approach the bench, Your Honor," Kihyun said. 

"Granted" 

Hoseok approaches the bench on Kihyun's behalf and gives a document to the interpreter and the interpreter gives it to the judge. 

"This is a copy of a birth certificate. How do you get this document?" 

"We actually make an identification search a month ago, but just obtain the copies from the registration office yesterday. During the transaction, Harriet Lim was 5 years old and Henry Lim was 7 years old. They are old enough to remember who they are prior to the incident. We also have conducted an interview monitored by an expert on child psychology"

"The expert confirms the children are clear in their mind?" the judge asks. 

"Yes, Your Honor. The expert confirms that these children's memories are unaffected. The copy of the expert opinion is marked HF-3" 

"How can the tribunal overlook this document? Very careless of them. With solid proof like this, this case is not supposed to end up in my court. This is a waste of resources" Yoora is mad. 

Kihyun and Hoseok wonder if the judge is nagging at them or their opposition who obviously not present in the courtroom. 

"I will allow your application and revert back this case to the tribunal. My full judgement is in 14 days" she knocks her gravel as the sign the proceeding is ended. 

"Thank you, Your Honor" Kihyun replied. 

Both Kihyun and Hoseok bowed to the judge as she left for her chambers. 

"That's intense" Hoseok commented as he helps Kihyun pack up. 

"Yeah" Kihyun exhales a relieved breath. "At least we are progressing" 

Hyungwon is about to get off his bed when Minhyuk walks into his ward. 

"You better get back on your bed, Dr. Chae" Minhyuk told his friend. 

"It's been two months since my heart surgery. I believe I am strong enough to walk" Hyungwon whines as he sits on his bed. 

"You almost died. Your surgeon is playing it safe" Minhyuk replied as he joins his housemate on the bed. "Do you aware there is a rumour going around here?" 

"What rumour?"

"You are cheating on me with Hoseok," Minhyuk said casually. "Speak of the devil," he says when he sees Hoseok walks in.

"The nurse thought I was cheating on Minhyuk with you," Hyungwon told the lawyer. 

"No wonder they always look at me like I've committed something wrong" Hoseok lost in his thought. "Actually, Kihyun thought we are dating too. I should stop hanging out with you for a while" he added.

"Go to Changkyun's ward then. Leave my boyfriend alone" Minhyuk jokes. 

"He cheats on you. He's mine now" Hoseok played along with the jokes.

"Calm down, my dear boyfriends. Sharing is caring. Though, my heart is not as healthy as I think it is I have lots of love to share with both of you" Hyungwon said casually.

The three of them laughed at each other for the lame jokes.

 "Do you guys hear anything?" Hoseok is asking about Changkyun's progress.

"They still searching for the reason why Changkyun isn't conscious yet and I heard they are going to take off his bandage today...which is why I am here instead of there. I don't think I'm the right person to give Jooheon the moral support he needs. Pretty sure Hyunwoo is there" Minhyuk replied. "But, I owed Jooheon though. When I was having a mental breakdown about you, Jooheon stays by my side" he said while looking at Hyungwon.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?" Hyungwon's chest hurts a little from being agitated.

"Just worry about yourself" Minhyuk pointed at Hyungwon's chest. "The only reason why you are still on bed rest is your slow recovery" 

Hyungwon pouts. Minhyuk gives him an 'I'm just stating the fact' look. Hoseok just shakes his head at the two. 

"Housemate. Carpool. Clingy. Fight like a married couple. I can understand why the nurses mistook both of you as a couple" Hoseok commented.

"Why have a girlfriend if you can have Lee Minhyuk? He takes care of me better than anyone else and I love him" Hyungwon said as he lay down on his bed. 

"So, what? You are going gay for me?" Minhyuk teased his housemate as he fixes the pillow for him. 

"Not that much love. Sorry" Hyungwon replied as he takes a deep breath. "I can understand you and I. Me and Hoseok, where does that coming from?" 

"Maybe because we hang out together a lot" Hoseok make a random guess.

"Right. Hyunwoo and Kihyun are married. Jooheon and Changkyun are in a very stable relationship. Both of you always ditch me. I'm all alone" Minhyuk is starting to get dramatic. 

"You always hang out with Sang Wook without us," both Hyungwon and Hoseok said together. 

"Well... besides his parents, I'm Sang Wook's favourite person," Minhyuk says proudly. 

"I think you are going to lose that title soon. Jooheon is back in town" Hoseok said. 

"No, no, no. I helped Kihyun deliver him. Sang Wook sees me before he even sees his mother. There's something special between us" Minhyuk replied.

"See?" Hyungwon whispers to Hoseok. "This is the reason why I can't be dead yet. He needs attention and is a little bit delusional" 

"I told you don't joke about that. I'm still sensitive about it" Minhyuk smack Hyungwon's shoulder a little too hard than he intended.

"Hit me like that again, you will send me straight to heaven" Hyungwon coughs a little while holding his chest. 

Minhyuk glares at his housemate. Hyungwon pretends he got nothing to do with it. 

Hoseok laughed a little. Spending time with the two always makes him feel like he watching some live sitcom. 

Jooheon stands in the corner of the ward nervously. It's been two months since the transplant surgery and it's been six weeks since Changkyun had his facial restructuring surgery. The bandage that covering Changkyun's face for the past six weeks will be taken off today. He wonders how much facial damage the plastic surgeon is able to reverse on his boyfriend's face.

"Dr. Lee" the plastic surgeon call for him. "You can come closer," she told him gently. 

Jooheon walks closer. His heart is racing. He musters his courage to look at his unconscious boyfriend. He instantly got emotional. The surgeon has done a tremendous job. It's like the damage was never there and it looks like Changkyun is just in a deep sleep instead of unconscious. 

"Be strong, Dr. Lee. I believe Dr. Im will wake up soon" the plastic surgeon said before she left with her team to give the couple some privacy. 

Jooheon sits on the bed as he admires his boyfriend's face and holds Changkyun's hand tightly. 

"Remember how I always complain about the distance between us and you keep telling me that distance makes us love harder? Well, you don't have to hear or do that again. My transfer application to work here with you is granted. I am instructed to report to duty next month. We are going to be together again after so long. Exciting, isn't it?" Jooheon said as he plays with Changkyun's hands. "You decided to leave because you said you want a break from everything and I had a doubt. I had the feeling I will never see you again. But, I said yes nevertheless because I want you to be happy, like truly happy. Not that 'I will just act like I'm happy until I actually feel happy' kind of happiness. I remember seeing your bright smiles for the first time after years and I realize how much I missed it. So, I told myself that...letting you go is the right decision. Then, you sent me that breaking-up email and I fall apart. It was the worst feeling I ever had. I mean I thought that was the worst feeling I can ever feel until...I'm holding you now. I can see you, but...this is the farthest you have been from me. It hurts more than the breakup, Kyun-ah. Watching you like this hurts me and I'm getting worse every day and you don't know. It drives me crazy" he breaks into tears. 

Hyunwoo watches the scene from the partly open ward door. He exhales a heavy breath. When he wants to leave, he sees Jooheon's surprised expression. He immediately rushes to the paediatrician's side.

"Changkyun-ah..." Jooheon calls his boyfriend's name. He tries to make Changkyun look at him, but the latter avoids his touch. 

Hyunwoo presses the alert button. 

"He doesn't recognize me" Jooheon is crying hard. 

Hyunwoo can see how confused Changkyun is about his surroundings. If it's not because Changkyun is still weak, Hyunwoo is sure the young man will sit and push Jooheon away or worse, run away from the ward. Luckily, the young man is still under a little drug influence and all Changkyun can do is squirms away from Jooheon's touch. 

"It's ok," Hyunwoo said as gentle as he can. He rubs Changkyun forehead like how he usually does when he tried to put Sang Wook to sleep. 

Changkyun looks at him blankly, starting to calm down. 

Jooheon tries to hold Changkyun hand again and this time the latter did not resist.

"Get a Neuro in here" Hyunwoo instructed before the nurse even entered the room. 

The nurse left in a rush. Then, Kihyun walks in.

"He's awake?" Kihyun asks. Changkyun looks at him upon hearing his voice. 

"It seems like he doesn't recognize us" Hyunwoo replied.

Jooheon tries to stop himself from crying. 

While Changkyun is still staring at Kihyun. 

The stare scared Kihyun, unexpectedly. From his first meeting with the neurosurgeon, Changkyun's eyes were usually sad, but it was also very beautiful. Like if he stares a little longer, Kihyun will get lost in its beauty. Now, all Kihyun see is the emptiness. He can't help but wonders if he can ever see the peace and beauty that was there once again.