Part 26

DESTINY

Hoseok was in a daze when he heard a coughing sound. It's Kihyun. He looks at his partner and the latter is looking confused at his surroundings. Hoseok held out his hand to touch Kihyun to get his attention.

"Hoseok-ah, why am I here?" Kihyun sound panicked. There is a scary looking machine next to his bed and it is attached to his chest. He tries to remember what had happened that putting him in this condition but nothing come to his mind. 

"You're speaking Korean" Hoseok exclaims happily. "You woke up a few days ago, but you didn't speak Korean. Your Neuro said you had brain damage. However, our Changkyun believes it's just a phase. They conducted a few tests but the result is inconclusive. I know you learned Latin in Law School but I didn't know you're fluent in it" Hoseok continues rambling as he presses the alert button. 

Kihyun just frowned as he scans his surroundings. ICU. He recognised this place because this is where Hyungwon was sent after his heart surgery. Kihyun visited Hyungwon once when he was in the ICU and the psychiatrist was attached to the exact same machine he is attached to right now. 

Kim Sunho walks in a second later. The exact same cardio surgeon that treated Hyungwon, Kihyun thought.

"Hello, Mr. Yoo. You are early today, Mr. Lee" Sunho greeted the duo. 

"He's speaking in Korean today," Hoseok told the surgeon. 

"Really?" Kim Sunho sound surprised but then he smiles. "As expected. Dr. Im may haven't treated a patient for so long but his skill is still alive" he talks to himself. "Congratulation, Mr. Yoo. I was considering taking a Latin class so we can communicate" Sunho jokes. "Let's see how you are doing today, ok?" he said as he starts checking on his patient.

"What is this?" Kihyun is more interested in the machine that he's attached to.

"This is an ECMO machine. When you had a cardiac arrest, we performed CPR on you and it took some time to bring you back. Your heart is a little sensitive right now from all the shock we gave you, which is why you needed this machine. It's to reduce the stress on your heart and lung" Sunho explains briefly. He can give a lengthy and detailed explanation for Kihyun to really understand his condition but that man is still dazed so he saves it for another time. "But, don't worry much about this because you are responding well to your treatment so we'll remove it pretty soon. Hopefully" he picked up the chart and updated it. 

"What happened?" Kihyun asked as soon as Sunho left his ward. 

"I can tell you everything. But, you need to remain calm. Promise?" Hoseok held up his pinky finger and Kihyun stamped on the pinky promise. "Before I tell you what happened, do you aware that Yeojoo has a psychotic break when you two was dating?" Hoseok asked carefully.

"None that I'm aware of. But, there was a time where she seems a little off. Why do you suddenly ask about her?"

"She was released on parole a few weeks ago. She comes to see you"

"I didn't remember seeing her"

"When I said 'see you', I actually mean stalking you. She initially wanted to make good with you, but seeing you are living well without her, breaks her mentally. She eventually got another psychotic break and done something drastic. Her psychotic issues are caused by the side effect of drug usage. Not her, but her mother. She was conceived when her mother was high"

"I know something is wrong with her. Didn't pop in my mind that it was a mental issue" Kihyun shakes his head a little to stop himself from having flashbacks. "She hurts me again, isn't she?" Kihyun makes a guess. 

"She kidnapped you, two weeks ago. In front of the courthouse. Luckily, you parked your car right in front of Prosecutor Kwak car. When he was leaving, he saw your briefcase on the ground and he instinctively checks his black box recording. There was a recording of Yeojoo drugging you. You won't be able to recall anything, it's the side effect of the drug. By the time we found you, she had injected you with another drug, it makes your heart stop working which is the reason why you are here" he added. 

"We? Are you saying...you come to save me?"

"You know how the bureaucracy works. If we follow the law...God knows what would happen to you. Remember the child you defended before? The one who was charged with terrorism for mistakenly hacking into the government system. The one who was about to send to prison, but you got him a deal so he can serve the government instead?"

Kihyun nodded. 

"We contacted him. He helped us tracking you down through your car GPS. If only we come a minute earlier, you won't be in this condition" Hoseok sighed as he fixes Kihyun bang. "For the first time, I hit a woman that night" 

Kihyun is speechless. He knows Hoseok is willing to do anything for him but getting into a fight is not one of them. Other than hating to stand before the judge, the reason why Hoseok refuses to be a criminal lawyer is because of the nature of violence involved in every case. Hoseok despises violence so much that he tries to stay away from it as much as he can. Hitting a woman?. That's so out of context.

"But, you don't have to worry about her anymore. She's dead. She tries to run away by jumping out of a moving police car, got hit by the car from the opposite direction. The handcuff got loose I guess" Hoseok added. 

"You...sugarcoating me, aren't you?" Kihyun knows his partner is not telling him the full truth. 

Hoseok suddenly got teary. "That day, watching you slipping away from life like that...it brings a lot of memories. I saw you fighting off death twice. The cruise explosion, the assault case and in both tragedies, I was confident that you will get through it. That night, when Hyunwoo performing CPR on you, I was doubted. All of us are. It's such a miracle you come back" 

Kihyun wonder did Hyunwoo had come with Hoseok to rescue him or does this CPR session occur when he was brought to the hospital after the rescue. However, he didn't ask because Hoseok is trying to calm himself down. Plus, 'all of us are' is more likely to describe a hospital circumstances where he got treated and the others are waiting for a piece of good news. So, he just held Hoseok hand tightly to comfort the muscular man. That's when he saw a tired-looking Hyunwoo approaches Sunho in front of his ward through the glass door. The two men are having some intense conversation. 

"He never left your side. Except, to work or check on Sang Wook" Hoseok replied. "Don't worry about your son. At night, Hyungwon and I usually babysit him. In the day, the others will take turns to check on him at his kindergarten"  he added.

"Did he ask for me?" Kihyun takes a deep breath. His heart aching at the mention of his son. Sang Wook is used to not seeing his papa because of Hyunwoo uncertain working hours. But, Sang Wook sees him every day. Even if he was busy with his case, he can just let Sang Wook play in his playpen while he does his work. Two weeks is too long for their first time being apart. 

"He does and we told him that his mama is sick and his papa is working hard to make his mama feel better. I know he seems like he prefers his papa more than you but he loves you wholeheartedly. He even scolded Hyunwoo for checking on him because he doesn't want you to be alone" 

"I heard my name is mentioned," Hyunwoo said as he walks into the ward. 

"It's nothing you should be worried about" Hoseok replied. "I will leave you two alone. I will come to visit you again when I pick up Sang Wook later" he planted a soft kiss on Kihyun forehead and leave the ward. 

"He spends more time here than I am" Hyunwoo walks closer to his wife. "How are you feeling?" he kisses Kihyun on the top of his head. 

"Except for the uncomfortable feeling in my chest and sleepy, I'm fine" Kihyun gestures for his husband to lean forward which Hyunwoo did and he gives him a kiss on the nose.

Hyunwoo is holding back his tears because he didn't expect Kihyun to complete their signature greeting.  

"You seem to lose weight. Did you skip a meal?" Kihyun asked. 

"I didn't skip meals. With all these light snowings, the road mishap increases. I just work as much as I ate" Hyunwoo explains. "The first snow was two weeks ago and it's been snowing lightly in the morning since then," he told Kihyun as he watching the latter is taking a look outside the window. 

"It's only been two weeks but I feel like I missed so many things" Kihyun sighed. 

"You kind of" Hyunwoo laughed a little. "Changkyun passed his psychology evaluation test. He has returned to work yesterday. No surgery yet, just consultation. He met the Kwon siblings too. I mean the Lim siblings"

"How?"

"Harriet got hospitalized for a kidney infection. With Jooheon treats her, they are bound to meet again. The siblings foster parents are business people, so they often have a work trip. When they are out of town, Changkyun and Jooheon will babysit them" 

"Really?" Kihyun is happy with the good news. 

"Yeah, the children have school so most of the time, they can't bring the children with them, which I think, kind of a good thing because the kids really help with Changkyun PTSD" Hyunwoo smiles when he sees the happy expression on Kihyun face. As he admires his wife's face, he didn't realize that he is tearing. 

"Aww~ Why are you crying?" Kihyun instantly feels like crying too. 

"I'm sorry. I just..." Hyunwoo dries his tears. "I'm glad you come back. These are my happy tears. No worry" he tries to stop his tears and failed. So, he just let his build-up feeling comes out.  

If it wasn't because of the wires and tube attached to him, Kihyun would give his husband a hug right now because a hug always helps someone feel much better than a thousand words can do. But, he can't. So, he just sits on his hospital bed, watching his husband drowning in his own emotion. He just sits and watches while mentally swear that he would never let his husband cry like this again.