Part 37

DESTINY

"You usually don't wake up early on weekends. Especially, after winning a case" Hyunwoo commented as he heads to the fridge. He takes out cold water and joins Kihyun at the kitchen counter. "I bet you wake up from the hunger. You didn't eat much yesterday" he added as he watches Kihyun munching on the leftover meat from last night. 

"Do you want?" Kihyun is ready to feed his husband but Hyunwoo rejects his offer. So, he fed himself instead. "You don't wake up early on weekends either," he said in between munches.  

"I got thirsty" Hyunwoo initially wanted to pour the water into a cup, but he gives up doing so and drink straight from the bottle. Kihyun is eyeing him with a disapproving look. "You look a little off. Should I be concerned?"

Kihyun shrugged. "It depends on what you think about having another child" 

"Are you pregnant?" Hyunwoo asked, sound very casual. 

"Minhyuk think I am" Kihyun replied. This time his attempt to feed Hyunwoo is accepted. "I told him I was having a sensation in my stomach and he told me it's a flutter" Kihyun briefly explain. 

"I can go buy a home test kit for you" Hyunwoo offer. 

"No need. Minhyuk gave me one last night. Why did he carry around a pregnancy test kit in his bag?" his last sentence is more like a statement than a question. 

"Have you test it?" 

Kihyun nodded. "That's why I wake up early. Got hungry while waiting. So, I eat"

Hyunwoo and Kihyun exchange a silent look with each other. 

"I will go check it for you," Hyunwoo said after a moment of trying to interpret the look in his wife's eyes. There is a mix of nervousness and confusion and a little of a scare. His wife isn't eating because of hunger, it's to distract himself.

"My room, bathroom" 

Hyunwoo stands up and makes his way to his wife's room. He enters the bathroom and saw the test kit is left on the sink. He takes a look at it. 

"I can't tell from your expression" 

Hyunwoo jumped a little from the shock. He didn't notice Kihyun was following him. 

"What does it say?" 

"17-18 weeks pregnant" Hyunwoo mentally calculating in his mind. 

"I can't be that far along" Kihyun sound panicked. He takes the kit from Hyunwoo. 17-18 weeks. "No" he's in denial even after checking it himself. 

"Actually, yes. Our last session was like five months ago. Remember when you were so excited that your judicial review is granted and I was excited about performing surgery again?. Plus, if Minhyuk gives this to you. It's highly accurate. Minhyuk always prepare the best for his patient"

Kihyun unintentionally having a flashback in the back of his mind. Though he can't remember the exact date he remembers the day clearly. One moment he was talking to Hyunwoo in the kitchen, the next moment he already toping him in the living room. It was such a bit of luck they didn't end up waking up Sang Wook from his sleep with all the noises they make. Otherwise, they might have ruined their son innocent at such a young age. "That was five months ago? I felt like it was just recently" Kihyun goes to take a seat on his bed. 

"We aren't really into that kind of activity, Kihyun. We are more into cuddling, snuggles" 

"In my defence, that's because you are so huggable" Kihyun replied before he looks lost in his thought. "17 to 18 weeks, is in the second trimester?" 

Hyunwoo replied with a simple yes, as he joins Kihyun on the bed. 

"Then, Minhyuk is right. It is a flutter" Kihyun unconsciously rubbing his stomach. For the first time, he realized his flat belly is gone. Still far from looking like a bump, though. "What am I gonna do, Hyunwoo?" he sounds scared. "If I'm actually this far, I might have done something that harms our baby. Like I hurt our daughter"

"Kihyun, you did nothing to Dasom" Hyunwoo can see that Kihyun is on the verge of having a panic attack. 

"She's inside me, Hyunwoo. I carried her in me. How can I not be responsible for that?" Kihyun stands up, sound a little frantic. "What if I mess this baby up too?"

"You need to calm down" Hyunwoo is approaching his wife when Kihyun sudden drops on the floor. He barely manages to catch him. He's quite glad that he successfully protects Kihyun's head from hitting the floor. Pregnancy and a head injury are never a good combination. Even as mild as a brain concussion may threaten the maternal or fetal life. 

Minhyuk rushes to the ER. Almost bump to a patient who is walking out of the hospital. He apologizes quickly before proceeding to the ER. He feels a sense of panic coming to him when he sees no sign of Kihyun there.

"Dr. Lee" a nurse call for him. "Are you on duty today?" she asked.

"No, I'm coming for Chief Sohn and his wife. Do you know where are they?" 

"Lawyer Yoo is transferred to the cardiology ward. If I'm not mistaken, he's in room 8. Chief Sohn is probably in the admin office, handling the admission paper"

Minhyuk can feel his heart skipping a beat when the nurse mentioned cardiology. He wanted to know if Kihyun is having a heart attack, but he finds it hard to express it in words. 

"I heard Lawyer Yoo passed out from exhaustion. Since he had a heart condition. Dr. Kim Sunho wants to monitor him for precaution" the nurse added. 

Minhyuk left the ER and took the elevator to the cardiology department. He sighed in frustration. After the kidnapping, Kihyun's heart is not as strong as it used to and after the spring storm, everyone is so desperate to pick up their lives where they left them before the storm. They naturally overlooked Kihyun's heart condition and no one reminds the lawyer about the danger of overworking. Minhyuk can't help but feeling a little guilty. Probably because he keeps such a close eye on Hyungwon and Changkyun after their heart surgery but failed to do so with Kihyun.

"What's up with that long face?" Kihyun asked when Minhyuk is entering his ward. 

Minhyuk heart aches when he sees Kihyun is lying on a bed attached to the heart monitor and breathing through an oxygen mask. 

"Don't worry much. This isn't the first time I passed out from overworked" Kihyun reach out to hold the Obgyn hand as the latter is staring into his heart monitor. 

"Your heartbeat keeps fluctuating and your oxygen is low," Minhyuk said. "I wasn't joking when I said you have the potential to work yourself to death"

Kihyun smiles. Minhyuk words may sound harsh, but he knows Minhyuk just looking out for him. "It's positive" Kihyun try to stop Minhyuk from nagging at him. 

"I know. Hyungwon call me just now. He said he found the kit in the hallway. Probably drop during the rushes. You are 17 to 18 weeks pregnant. Did they check the baby yet?" 

"One of your interns come. She said the baby is unaffected and told me to rest more" Kihyun let go of Minhyuk hand and pull something from under his pillow. 

"They send an intern to check on you without a doctor follow up?"

"It's the weekend, Minhyuk. Doctor availability is limited" Kihyun give the ultrasound picture to Minhyuk for him to see. "How is Sang Wook?. I should scold Hyunwoo later for leaving him alone at home like that"

"Hyungwon said Sang Wook is still sleeping when I drop him off. He's probably exhausted from playing all night yesterday" Minhyuk look at the ultrasound picture and frowned a little. 

"What is it?" Kihyun is worried. An Obgyn frowning at an ultrasound picture is usually bad news. 

"It seems like your baby is older than 17 to 18 weeks" Minhyuk pull the ultrasound machine closer to the bed. 

Kihyun just stays still as Minhyuk trying to find the right spot to scan the baby. 

Hyunwoo walks in with Kihyun's ward admission paper in his hand. "What's going on?" he naturally stands behind Minhyuk as he takes a look at the monitor. 

"The baby is 33cm long, weight around 0.68kg. The lung is developing well. My expert opinion is telling me you guys are around 25 weeks to 26 weeks" Minhyuk told the couple. 

"But..." Kihyun becomes speechless. If he is 26 weeks pregnant, that means he is reaching his 6 months. How can he didn't realize that he is pregnant all this time?.

"The conception must have happened that night" Hyunwoo mumbles to himself but it was loud enough to be heard by everyone in that room.

"What night?" both Kihyun and Minhyuk asked simultaneously. 

"You probably don't remember it. On the day you are celebrating your firm anniversary, you come home drunk. We had it that night" Hyunwoo explains briefly. 

"What?" Kihyun frowned. He can't believe his ears. 

"Firm anniversary? That's only a few days after your hospital discharged" Minhyuk know about it because he was the one helping Hoseok renting a place for that event. "You were still injured"

"It's ok. We are never the aggressive type" Hyunwoo replied casually. 

Kihyun can feel his face is turning red from the remark. 

"Now, I do understand why both of you prefer to not drink. The last time, you were drunk and delusional. Now, Kihyun is drunk. I should start a research paper on this. Does alcohol increase the chance of pregnancy? That sound like an interesting research paper" Minhyuk rambling as he focuses on the screen again. He turns on the volume so the couple can hear the baby's heartbeat. 

"You come so fast," Kim Sunho said as he entered the ward. "I just tell the nurse to call you like 2 minutes ago"

"Why are you looking for me?" Minhyuk asked without explaining to Sunho that no one contacts him yet.

"The nurse didn't tell you yet?" Sunho gives the test result to Minhyuk. "The test result just come back. The HcG and AFP Test reading is abnormal"

Minhyuk and Hyunwoo are going through the test result together as Kihyun have no idea what is supposed to mean. But, judging at the three surgeon reaction, he guesses that's not a good thing. Even though, he doesn't know anything yet. He is already mentally frustrated at himself for messing up this baby too. 

"Did you hear that?" Sunho asked as he walks closer to the monitor. 

"Hear what?" Hyunwoo asked. 

'There's an echo to the heartbeat" Sunho is enhancing the heartbeat sound.

Both Minhyuk and Hyunwoo try to focus on the echo Sunho is talking about. But, nope. They didn't hear it. Then, the baby on the monitor move. Minhyuk notices something. 

"You see that?" Minhyuk asked no one in particular. He just randomly asks the question to make sure he isn't the one who sees it. "There," he pointed on the screen when the baby moves again. 

"What's happening, guys? Stop scaring me. The baby is getting restless too" Kihyun said as he gently rubs his stomach. Ever since Minhyuk said he is pregnant, the baby movement becomes clear to him. It's no longer just a sensation.

"I don't know about what Dr. Lee is seeing but the echo I was talking about is about the second heartbeat. The heartbeat is completely in sync, which is why it sounds like an echo. But, I pretty sure that is a second heartbeat" Sunho explains.

Kihyun looks at Sunho confused. Second heartbeat? Is Sunho talk about his heartbeat and the baby or is Sunho talking about his baby heartbeat with another baby's heartbeat?

"You are right, Dr. Kim. There is a second heartbeat. There is a second baby behind this little one. I see the shadow when it moves" Minhyuk isn't actually seeing a shadow, but that's one way to explain it. 

"A hidden twin?" Hyunwoo is in disbelief. 

Dejavu. That's the only thing that comes to Kihyun mind right now.