Part 16

DESTINY

Kihyun comes out from the kitchen with a plate of fried rice. He fed Hyunwoo a spoonful before joining the man on the couch.

"Good?" Kihyun asks. 

"Everything you cook is tasty" Hyunwoo replied. Kihyun feeds him another spoonful.  

"You are going to eat while looking at that?" Kihyun frowned when he saw the picture on Hyunwoo's laptop screen. It looks like a scan of someone's face.

"I believe your crime scene picture is worse than this" Hyunwoo replied.

Kihyun just shrugged. "What is that?"

"The scan images of my John Doe patient" Hyunwoo answered. "This is his face. This..." he pointed at all the white marks in the scan. "This is all are broken marks. It's healed, but this man will need some facial restructuring surgery" he explains. He shows another scan picture to Kihyun. "This is the gunshot wound. You can see from here that the bullet is only 2cm away from his heart. The surgeon did a good job. They manage to remove the bullet without causing more damage to the heart wall. But, the bullet projectile impact is causing some tissue cavitation. We are going to try our new technology, the light therapy, to rebuild the tissue" he shows another scanned image. "This is where the problem arises. They overlook the fragmentation in his liver. It's been there too long, the damage to his liver is irreparable now"

"So, he needs a new liver?" Kihyun asks with his mouth full. He fed his husband as he takes a clear look at the scan. "But, you can't get him registered for the transplant because he has no ID"

Hyunwoo nods his head. "Exactly. So, it's time for me and my team to get creative on how to help him. We might need to come up with something that's never been done before"

"Or, maybe I can help you with the law," Kihyun says casually. 

"As far as I know John Doe patients are usually up for involuntary organ donation, not transplant" 

"This patient can be the first" Kihyun replied, feeding another spoonful of rice to Hyunwoo. "What does this number mean?" Kihyun asks about the tiny number on the corner. 

"His John Doe identification. This number is important so we don't mistake him for the other John Doe" Hyunwoo looked down when he felt something on his feet. "Kihyun-ah, look at this" 

Kihyun looks in the direction Hyunwoo is pointing. Sang Wook is trying to stand up on his own by using his father's leg as support. "Just a little more" he cheers slowly for his son.

Sang Wook giggles when he manages to stand up. 

"Come up here," Hyunwoo told his son to climb up the couch. 

Sang Wook looks at his father. 

"Come. Give it a try. At this age, you should know how to climb" Hyunwoo said as he put his laptop on the table. Getting ready to help his son with his climbing training. 

Kihyun put down the plate on the table too before he moves behind the couch and tells Sang Wook to come to him. 

"Go, Sang Wook. Go to Mama, don't be afraid. Papa is here to catch you" 

Sang Wook looks at his father behind him and then looks at his mother again. He then started to climb the couch. Of course, the first attempt is a failure. Sang Wook slipped. Kihyun almost screams in panic but manages to keep himself calm because he knows Hyunwoo is there to catch their son. 

"Once more" Hyunwoo make his son stand in front of the couch again. 

"His hand is not strong to pull himself up," Kihyun is worried.

"It will work this time" Hyunwoo replied. 

Sang Wook tries again. Something different in his moves. Just as his father predicted, Sang Wook manages to climb up the couch without help. 

Sang Wook laughs as he tries to stand up on the couch, trying to get to his mother who is kneeling behind the couch. 

"Mama," Sang Wook said as he stands up. His Head bumped a little into his mother's lips. 

Kihyun gasped. But, not from the bump. It's because of the word Sang Wook said. 

"Say it again?" Hyunwoo said.

Sang Wook turns to his father and said 'papa' instead of 'mama'. 

"You talk?" Hyunwoo lifted up his son excitedly. "That's a word. You said your proper word today" he hugged his son tightly. Sang Wook started babbling when he was 8 months old, but none of the words he said is coherent. Today is the first.

"You are going to crush him," Kihyun said worriedly. He takes Sang Wook away from Hyunwoo and brings his son to sit on his lap. 

Hyunwoo joins the duo as he wraps his arms around Kihyun's shoulder. 

"Papa, mama" Sang Wook said again happily. 

"Yes, Sang Wook-ah. We are your papa and mama" Kihyun replied as he smiles at his son sweetly. "I was worried he won't know who we are because we are always taking turns" he whispers to Hyunwoo. 

"He has your intelligence. Trust me, he knows everything" Hyunwoo whispers back. "By the way, don't you have to go meet Prosecutor Kwak this noon?" he asks. 

"He just calls me 'mama'. How can I leave?" Kihyun sounds upset. 

"I will drive you there" Hyunwoo offered. "You can spend some quality time with Sang Wook in the car. While you are at the meeting, we can have some bonding time. Then, I'll pick you up when you're done" 

"Your work?" Kihyun pointed his mouth to the laptop. 

"That can wait" Hyunwoo take Sang Wook from Kihyun. "Go, get ready. I will change his clothes" 

"How about you?" Kihyun asked. 

"I just need to change my pant" Hyunwoo answered before he left with Sang Wook to the nursery.

Hyunwoo stops the car in front of the hotel. "Call me when you are done," he said. 

"I will" Kihyun replied, eyes fixed on his son in the car seat. "Don't have too much fun with Papa, k?. Mama will be jealous" he said then planted a kiss on his son's nose. 

"Be careful" Hyunwoo waves at his wife as Kihyun comes out of the back passenger seat.

"You too" Kihyun waves back. He waits until he can't see the car anymore before he enters the hotel. 

Kihyun straight away goes to the elevator and goes to the third floor. He searches for Room 311 and easily finds it as the room is located not far from the elevator. 

"Sorry to disturb your weekend," Prosecutor Kwak said as he invited Kihyun in. 

Kihyun walks in. Looking around. No one else is there, only two of them. Then he sees the bundle of documents on the bed. 

"I guess you are not sleeping here tonight" 

"Nope. This is where I keep these documents" Prosecutor Kwak let Kihyun sit on the chair while he climbs onto the bed. "My housemate is a prosecutor. This case will bring a lot of attention to my office which is not good for our image. I can't let him know because he will start talking about it and people will find out" 

"Sound like you want me to be your avatar" Kihyun pick up a file. He sees three children's pictures in it. 

"Actually, I want you to take this case. You can ask Hoseok for help if you want. My role is to provide you with information" Prosecutor Kwak explains. "I was going to sort this document chronologically. But, was busy flirting. Sorry"

"You haven't changed a bit" Kihyun commented as he pick up one file, and then quietly go through it. "So, these three children are originally Korean citizens. Sold to the black market by their legal guardian. Ended up in the slavery system. The Hope Foundation rescued them, bring them back to Korea and the Minister of Foreign Affairs declared them as stateless children" 

"That fast?" the prosecutor is caught off guard by Kihyun's summarising skills.

"I can summarize better if you give me more time" Kihyun took another document. "Medical record of the three children. You understand any of this?" 

"I'm a prosecutor, not a doctor" Prosecutor Kwak replied as he read another document. "Is that important?" 

"Every document is important" Kihyun fishes out his phone. 

"It's written in a foreign language. We gonna need a translator for that" Prosecutor Kwak said mindlessly. 

Kihyun is texting someone. Not long after that, the bell rang. Kihyun gets up to open the door. 

"You order a room service?" Prosecutor Kwak asks. When he looks up, he is surprised to see Hyunwoo with Sang Wook attached to his chest. "Should I leave?" he is confused with what's happening. 

"You said we need a translator" Kihyun answered. "I have a better choice than a translator. I brought to us the Chief of Emergency and Accident Department" 

"If both of you are going to work, then who is going to look after him?" Prosecutor Kwak asks. 

"He's independent. Don't worry about him" Hyunwoo put Sang Wook down on the floor. "Mama and Papa have work to do. Can you wait here?" Hyunwoo said to his son gently. 

Sang Wook waddles away from him and sits in the middle of the room. He pulls the heavy magazine from the table and starts looking at it from page to page.

"Come to us if you need anything," Kihyun said. 

Sang Wook replied with a cute 'eung'. 

"Extraordinary" Prosecutor Kwak said. Amazed at how Sang Wook reacted to his parents. It's as if he can understand them completely. "I wonder if he will take after you or his father" 

"He has like five surgeons in his life, you think?" Kihyun replied as he takes a seat again. 

"So, it's medical" Prosecutor Kwak mumbles to himself.

Hyunwoo was already engrossed in the medical record to even hear the conversation. 

"What is it?" Kihyun tries to get his husband's attention. 

"These children are too young. The youngest is 8 years old and missing a kidney. The second eldest is 10 and has malnutrition. The eldest one is 12 years old and suffering from CMDLD, a coal mine dust lung disease. A chronic obstructive pulmonary disease"

"COPD is referring to emphysema, chronic bronchitis, and refractory asthma, isn't it?" Kihyun asks making Hyunwoo look at him in surprise. "I represented a COPD client to claim compensation against his company once" Kihyun explains.

"You sure do a lot of things" Hyunwoo replied.

"Hey, guys" Prosecutor Kwak as he clears his throat. The way the couple look at each other while discussing make him feel like he's a third-wheeler. "What is your relationship with Daniel Lim?".

"Who's Daniel Lim?" both Hyunwoo and Kihyun ask at the same time.

"This guy. I remember seeing him at your daughter's funeral" Prosecutor Kwak shows the picture to the husband and wife.

Kihyun looks at the picture and frowned. Hyunwoo's mind went blank when he sees the picture.