Part 11

DESTINY

"Arghhh..."

"Ah..."

"Urgghh..."

Hyunwoo is standing outside the delivery room nervously. The screams make him anxious. Since the moment Kihyun is wheeled to the delivery room hours ago, he couldn't stop praying for everything to be fine. The lack of news is making his imagination goes wild, but he keeps telling himself that everything is okay. No news is usually good news.

It all started last night, when Kihyun woke him up, saying that he felt unwell. So, Hyunwoo immediately brings him to the ER where Kihyun receives a thorough medical check-up. The doctor in charge confirmed that Kihyun is in labour despite his due date being two weeks away so they are transferred to the maternity ward. Minhyuk comes later and the OB told them that the labour is steady and progressing well so there is no need to stop the process. Luckily, Hyunwoo is off duty so he can accompany Kihyun throughout the labour. Kihyun spends hours battling the contraction, waiting for the baby to get into position. According to Minhyuk, the transition phase usually takes 30 minutes to 2 hours while the contraction is long, and intense and can overlap with each other. However, Kihyun's transition lasts longer than usual. It takes him almost 8 hours to dilate from 8cm to 10cm. Most likely caused by his unique biological system. Even though Kihyun were relatively calm during the entire process but Hyunwoo's heart still breaks every time Kihyun rides his contraction waves in pain. After long hours of labour, Kihyun announced that he needed to push. It was only Hyunwoo in the ward at that moment so Hyunwoo presses the alert button to alert the staff on duty at the nurse's station. A few seconds later, a senior nurse of the labour and delivery ward comes to check on Kihyun's progress. She happily announced that she can feel the baby's head and told Kihyun that he can push gently while she preps him ready to be transferred to the delivery room.  Hyunwoo was present when Kihyun makes his first push. When the nurse transferred Kihyun to the delivery room, Kihyun asked him to stay outside which Hyunwoo did and that was like 5 hours ago.

The delivery process was quiet at first and Hyunwoo is sitting nervously on the bench in the hallway alone. Almost an hour after Kihyun was brought into the delivery room, the screaming parade started. Hyunwoo calms himself down by mentally saying that it means the baby is coming. Then, he sees Jooheon rush to the delivery room and the screaming is still going on. Ever since that, he's been sticking to the delivery room door trying to take a peek at what's happening inside. 

"I won't forget that scream for a while" Hyungwon commented. Looking traumatized. He wonders how Minhyuk deals with this every day. 

Hyunwoo turns around and was glad to see his friend. At least, he has someone to share his worries with now.

"If you are that worried, why don't you just go inside? Calling me won't help" Hyungwon cringed at another scream. He can feel Kihyun's agony from it. "It's been hours, shouldn't they opt for C-sec?"

"He's an inters_ex. The C-sec is going to cause disruption to his male biological system. It's too risky" Hyunwoo explains.

"But forcing him to go through such pain is cruel" Hyungwon is disturbed by another scream. "If Kihyun is not a lawyer, I believe he will be great as a vocalist"

Hyunwoo smacked his friend hard.

"You are going to give me a concussion" Hyungwon held his head in pain.

"It's not even that hard"

"Bro, your hand is the same size as my head" Hyungwon feel his phone vibrating. He fishes it out and checks the message. "Hoseok texted me. He wanted to know if the baby is born yet"

"Isn't the baby's whereabouts is obvious?"

"Calm down, bro. I wasn't asking, just informing" he says as he types something on his phone.

"Where is he?"

"A business trip in Japan"

"I'm amazed you keep in touch with him," Hyunwoo says so because Hyungwon is a well-known loner. He prefers being alone and sleeps better than going out and meeting people.

"I have friends ok"

"If we are not your roommate back in college, I'm pretty sure we won't be friends" Hyunwoo replied. 

Hyungwon didn't say anything because that could be the truth. 

Silence. It's been for a while now.

"Is that mean the baby is out?" Hyungwon asked as he takes a peek inside the room through the tiny glass window on the door.

"That could mean a lot of things" Hyunwoo is getting anxious.

After a few moments, Jooheon and two nurses come out of the room. Along with two bassinets.

"The boy is going to the nursery, the girl is going to NICU," Jooheon told the nurses. 

Hyunwoo frowned at the two bassinets. 

"What's going on?"Hyungwon asked since Hyunwoo seem lost as he stared at the two disappearing nurses.

"Kihyun is carrying a hidden twin. A baby girl. I need to keep monitoring her...."

"Hidden twins?" Hyunwoo gasped. 

"Yes, Hyunwoo. It was a surprise for everyone. Her vital aren't good so I'm going to keep monitoring her in the NICU. I'm not supposed to say this but I think you should prepare yourself" Jooheon replied as he squeezes Hyunwoo's shoulder. 

"Kihyun?" Hyunwoo asked. But, he didn't wait for his answer. He just dashes into the delivery room. 

Jooheon and Hyungwon just let their friends be. Plus, Hyunwoo is stronger than them. There is no way they can stop the man. 

Hyunwoo's heart breaks at how weak Kihyun is. He can see that Minhyuk is still helping him with the afterbirth. A nurse is massaging Kihyun's stomach while Kihyun groans in pain. 

"Come on, Kihyun. Just a little more and you are done" Minhyuk sounded desperate.

Kihyun uses whatever strength he had left to push the placenta out before falling back to the bed. The nurse moves away from him carrying something that he assumes must be the placenta. His entire body is numb from the pain he had earlier and he finds it difficult to stay awake. But, he sees a familiar silhouette approaching. 

"Woo...is that you?" he asked breathlessly, his sight getting blurry. 

Minhyuk turns around and sees Hyunwoo standing behind the curtain. He gives permission for Hyunwoo to come forward and the latter immediately reaches out for Kihyun's hand.

"Did you see the babies?" Kihyun asked with his eyes close.

Hyunwoo caressed Kihyun's face gently as he answered 'yes, briefly'.

Kihyun weakly smiles at him as he falls asleep slowly.

"What happened?" Hyunwoo asked his friend after making sure Kihyun is really sleeping and not fainting.

"It was a very smooth delivery. He pushes three times and your son is born. I let him feed the baby as we wait for the afterbirth. Then, when I thought he was ready to deliver the placenta, I saw a leg. That's when his screaming parade started. She is bigger than her brother and got stuck in the birth canal. I had to use my hand to free her. When we thought the difficult phase is over, she had her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck. Her future is uncertain, Hyunwoo"

"Did Kihyun know?"

"Jooheon had explained to him, but I'm not sure if he's actually processing," Minhyuk said while taking off his gloves. Set the bed back to normal bed mood then gently removes Kihyun's leg from the stir-up. He declines the bed a little to make sure Kihyun is comfortable. "You gonna need to support him mentally and physically after this"

"I know" Hyunwoo make sure Kihyun's body is covered properly with the blanket. 

"I will tell the nurse to transfer him to the recovery ward in ten minutes. Take your time" he left the room to give some privacy for the couple.

Meanwhile, Changkyun literally just walks out from his 18-hour surgery when his pager went off. He takes off his gloves and scrubs, and throws them in the trash can before checking his pager. It's from the NICU. He immediately washes his hands in a rush and runs to NICU.

"I specifically told them to not page you" Jooheon sounded disappointed with Changkyun's presence.

"I was the only surgeon who has performed brain surgery on baby here. I'm your best choice" Changkyun take a look at the baby, and then he looks at her chart.

"I'm aware you had a long hour of surgery so I'm curious if you have heard that Kihyun goes into labour?" Jooheon asked.

"No. I have been with my patient since three days ago, remember? Except for my team, I didn't meet anyone for almost a week" Changkyun eyes are still glued to the chart. "Is he still in labour or did he give birth?" he asked casually.

"You are looking at one of his" Jooheon told the neurosurgeon.

Changkyun frowned. "Kihyun is expecting a boy" he replied. Then, he realizes what Jooheon actually said. 'One of his'.

"She's hiding. They didn't know about her existence until Kihyun gives birth to her leg" Jooheon briefly explains. "Her brother is in the nursery. Kihyun is too weak to look after him right now" he added.

Changkyun let go of the chart. He suddenly feels suffocated like there is something heavy on his chest.

"You have looked at her chart and I believe you know why I needed a Neuro" Jooheon said.

"How old is she?" Changkyun asks, trying his best to remain calm.

"She is 10 hours old and had a seizure twice. Right after the birth and 8 hours ago"

"Did you tell the parents yet?"

"I need a second opinion before I inform them"

Changkyun sighed. He takes a look at the chart again. Longer this time. He compares the reading on the sheets and on the machine carefully. Then, he checks the newborn. The eye dilation, the sensitivity to pain, and the eye movement. He repeats the process multiple times then he just stops moving. Staring blankly at the newborn.

"Dr. Im?" Jooheon calls his name.

Changkyun didn't say anything. He takes out his pen and signs on the form that proves he is affirming Jooheon's diagnosis is correct.