Part 7

DESTINY

Kihyun look at the watch on the wall and sighed. Earlier today, Kihyun texted Hyunwoo to ask him if he will come home early and the latter replied that he will. It's 9.30 at night and he's been waiting for Hyunwoo since 8 at night. He wanted to throw some welcoming dinner for his housemate because they never really break the ice between them for the past three days. The dishes are getting cold and Kihyun starts to worry that something happens to his housemate on his way home.

The sound of the door unlocked. Kihyun immediately leaves the dining table to greet his housemate. To his surprise, Hyunwoo is drunk. 

"Dasom-ah..." Hyunwoo said as he smiles at Kihyun. 

Kihyun frowned. 

"I didn't expect you will come today" Hyunwoo approaches the confused Kihyun and peck him on the lips. 

Kihyun froze at the sudden action. 

"I want to come early but I had a solo surgery today," Hyunwoo said happily as he hugs Kihyun. "It's the first time since you left me, Dasom-ah" 

Kihyun finally understands the situation. Hyunwoo has mistaken him for his wife. 'Left'. Kihyun wonders what that word really means. The thought that Hyunwoo and his wife got a divorce crossed his mind, but it didn't fit Hyunwoo's actions. That man keeps talking about his wife with so much love in his eyes, though.

"Hyunwoo-ah....it's me" Kihyun push the tall man gently. "Kihyun" he added. 

Hyunwoo looks at him, frowning."Why are you lying to me? Do you hate me that much?" Hyunwoo suddenly breaks into tears. 

Kihyun is dumbfounded.

"I didn't mean to let you go like that. If I know that would happen, I won't let you board that cruise alone. Are you that mad at me that you don't even let them find your body?" Hyunwoo said as he cups Kihyun's face with his hand. "But, you come home today. Aren't you going to tell me that I do a good job today? I had my solo surgery again after months" he added. 

"Hyunwoo-ah....what happened?" Kihyun asks. Seriously concerned about his housemate's breakdown. 

"Don't you remember? We are supposed to celebrate our anniversary on the cruise. But, you had to go alone because I have work. The Canberra Conquest cruise exploded"  

Kihyun is speechless. It's because he knows exactly which cruise accident Hyunwoo is talking about. He was on board with his parents and he was the only survivor of that incident. He remembers waking up 2 months after the incident and being told how lucky he was to survive such a horrible accident. But, Kihyun doesn't feel the same though. How can he be glad that he survive when so many other people are mourning over their lost one?

"If you come sooner, we will bury you properly but you only come today" Hyunwoo is lost in his own emotion. "I bet you are cold. It must be freezing to be alone underwater"

"You are drunk, I should bring you to your room," Kihyun says as he tries to act as normal as he can - pretending the kisses Hyunwoo's showering him with did not affect him.

Hyunwoo didn't fight when Kihyun helps him walk to the room.

But, Kihyun is still struggling because Hyunwoo is twice his size. When he helps Hyunwoo lie on the bed, the surgeon suddenly pulls him down, making him fall on top of the drunken man. 

"Dasom-ah...I miss you a lot" Hyunwoo is completely unaware of his surroundings.

"Hyunwoo, it's me," Kihyun told his housemate but Hyunwoo is already overpowering him. The man is now on top of him. "Hyunwoo..." Kihyun tries to release himself but Hyunwoo suddenly deeply kiss him.

"Why aren't you kissing me back?" Hyunwoo says as he caresses Kihyun's face. 

"You are hallucinating" Kihyun replied. "Look at me carefully. I'm not your wife" he said. 

Hyunwoo actually looks into Kihyun's eyes and Kihyun saw pure despair in them. 

"Why didn't you come to the surface Dasom-ah? Tell me, how can I redeem myself? I know I was so busy working and you are often left alone. I'm sorry, sweetheart. But, since you're gone...I've been devoting myself to you" Hyunwoo says as he cries. "Please forgive me"

Kihyun can feel the teardrop on his face and is no longer defensive. He can see how miserable Hyunwoo is for losing his wife like that and that man just needs a little sign that he was forgiven. To help him move on. That's when Kihyun has this mad idea in his mind.

"You left our marital home in Jeju" Kihyun starts his role-playing.

"Hyungwon told me to, he said staying there is bad for my mental health. I'm sorry"

"It's okay. You had your solo surgery again today. It's the right thing to do" Kihyun don't have any idea what solo surgery means actually. But, Hyunwoo seems happy when he talks about it earlier.

Hyunwoo smiles as he wipes his tears away. 

"Hyunwoo-ah, I don't want you to think what happens is your fault. Life is just unexpected sometimes. I want you to live your life freely. Your happiness is mine too" Kihyun added. 

"Are you leaving me? You come here to tell me goodbye right?" Hyunwoo is in a crying mess again.  

"You need to let me go. I can't stay here forever" Kihyun replied. Starting to get emotional too. He can't imagine how much love Hyunwoo have for his late wife. Even after years of her passing, Hyunwoo is still wearing their wedding ring and still tells people that he's married.

"Can we have a proper goodbye this time?" Hyunwoo asks. 

"How?" Kihyun asks. For some reason, he can understand what Hyunwoo is implying when he sees the latter eyes. "I will give you what you want"

Kihyun let Hyunwoo kisses him again. More intimate this time. He just let Hyunwoo lead him to where ever the 'destination' is.

Hyunwoo wakes up from his sleep. Hyungwon is staring at him worriedly. 

"Do you know who you are?" Hyungwon asked. 

"Sohn Hyunwoo" Hyunwoo answered. 

"Do you remember what day is today?" this time it was Changkyun. The neurosurgeon is even checking for Hyunwoo's eye dilation. 

"What's going on?" Hyunwoo pushes Changkyun away and stands up from the couch. Almost lost his balance but Hoseok is fast to catch him. 

"I was opening your Pandora box, remember? When I tried to wake you up, you won't wake up" Hyungwon hug his friend in relief. "I thought I messed you up, bro" he added when he pulls away.

"That wasn't a dream" Hyunwoo blurts out. Looking frustrated and disappointed at the same time. 

"What wasn't a dream?" Hyungwon asked. 

"The dream I told you that Dasom visiting me to say goodbye is not a dream. That was Kihyun" 

"What do you mean it's Kihyun?" Hoseok asked.

"That day, Kihyun text me, asking if I'm coming home early. I told him that I will. So, he prepared a welcoming dinner for me but we never had that dinner because I come home drunk" Hyunwoo is working hard to rearrange his memory chronologically. "I was drunk and hallucinating, in the middle of a mental breakdown. I've mistaken him for Dasom. He tries to tell me but I was lost in my own hallucination" 

"Did you r_ape him?" Hoseok suddenly sounds mad. He was under the presumption that the baby is conceived because both of them a drunk.

"No. I asked for permission and he consented" Hyunwoo tell them the truth. 

"You were drunk and hallucinating. You didn't know that" Hoseok argue. 

"The Pandora's box technique gives the dreamer the ability to see the memory in third-party view" Hyungwon interrupted before the two men get into a fight. "What Hyunwoo see in his dream, is the truth. Even Kihyun himself said that it was a one-night mistake. He didn't say anything that implies he was r_ped. There must be a reason why he consented. Especially, after what he has been through before that....consenting to such, it takes a lot of consideration" Hyungwon is referring to the Kihyun gang r-pe case.

The living room becomes quiet. Their intention is just to confirm whether Hyunwoo is the baby's father or otherwise. Now, they already have their answer - no one has an idea where they should go from there.