Part 43

DESTINY

Kihyun wakes up feeling extremely groggy. The last time he was feeling like this is when he wakes up after his kidnapping incident. The room is dim, so it's hard for him to see around. He can feel someone is holding his hand and by looking at the silhouette it is pretty obvious the person is not Hyunwoo. He tries to check who is he but the person's face is buried in the mattress. "He gonna have trouble breathing sleeping like that" he mumbles. He tries to move the person's head a little so his airways won't be blocked by the mattress. His movement makes the person turn in the opposite direction so all Kihyun see now is the top of his head. 

"Hey" Minhyuk said gently. He was checking the fetal monitor when he heard the sound of a movement. "You need anything?" he asked after checking Kihyun vital signs. 

Kihyun just squinted his eyes because he can't see well. 

"This is me. Minhyuk. You are in the hospital" Minhyuk said as he rubs his thumb against Kihyun's cheek. Unconsciously. "It's ok if you feel like you can't remember. You are still under drug influence. Once the meds wear off, you will be ok. Don't worry about that" he added. 

"Who....?" Kihyun turn to look at the sleeping man again. 

"Chae Hyungwon" Minhyuk answered before he smiles a little. "You are still drowsy but I'm going to tell you this. Hopefully, you will remember when you wake up tomorrow" 

Kihyun turns to look at Minhyuk again. 

"This noon, you had rapid labour and give birth to one of the twins. Your baby is fine. He is tiny but he is strong. Jooheon and Hyunwoo is with him in the NICU"

"Hyunwoo?" Kihyun frowned. He may recall the rapid labour or the birth, but he remembers Hyunwoo is supposed to be in Busan for his convention and won't be home until next week. 

"Yes. Hyunwoo is here. He said he can't stop thinking about you so he returns home. He has his assistant replacing him" Minhyuk explains. "He actually wants to stay here with you, but Jooheon needed him for the kangaroo care. So, he has to go" 

"He is with our baby?"

"Yes, your baby is in a good hand. So, you don't have to worry about him. Just focus on recovering well first, ok? No rush. You can take your time, slowly" 

Kihyun is starting to doze off again. 

"That's right. You should go back to sleep. I will let Hyunwoo know you are awake" Minhyuk said still rubbing Kihyun's cheek gently. After making sure Kihyun has fallen asleep, Minhyuk goes to check on Hyungwon. He fixes the jacket that covers Hyungwon slender body. He pats the psychiatrist on the head gently. "Bad dream go away. A good dream is here to stay" he chanted for few times before he left the ward. 

When he steps out of the elevator, he sees Hoseok is holding Sang Wook outside the NICU. The boy is almost glued to the glass. Minhyuk can tell that Sang Wook is looking at his father who is cradling his baby brother in the glass room.

"Jooheon will scold you if he sees you sneak him here," Minhyuk said as he takes a stand beside Hoseok. "Where is Chessa?"

"Changkyun is watching over her in the lobby. I come because Sang Wook can't stop crying" Hoseok replied. 

Minhyuk takes a look at Sang Wook face. The boy's face is a little swollen from crying too much. "He is used with his parents uncertain working hours. Never throw tantrum even once"

"Sang Wook is a smart boy. I bet he can feel something is happening" Hoseok replied.  

"Will my baby brother stays here as Chessa did?" Sang Wook asked, still looking at his father and baby brother. "Baby is not big enough to go home, isn't he?"

"Yes, Sang Wook" Minhyuk answered. 

"For how long?" Sang Wook turns to look at his Uncle Minhyuk. 

"Until Uncle Jooheon think he is big enough to go home" Minhyuk replied. 

"Baby is so tiny" Sang Wook turn to look at his baby brother again. "Baby listen to Uncle Jooheon there, ok? Uncle Jooheon is a good person. You can trust him. Hyung will wait for you at home" he blows a kiss towards the glass wall. Hoping it will reach his baby brother well. He then snuggles to his Uncle Hoseok chest. 

"Shall we go home?" Hoseok asked. Sang Wook just nodded. "Say goodbye to Uncle Minhyuk" 

Sang Wook leans forward to give his Uncle Minhyuk a goodbye kiss.  Then, return to seeking comfort against his Uncle Hoseok chest again. 

"I won't be coming home few days. Gonna stay here and keep monitor Kihyun. Tell Chessa I love her" 

"Sure" Hoseok smiles a little and left the scene fast but carefully. Trying his best to not get caught sneaking in a child to a no child allowed section. 

Minhyuk entered the NICU after making sure the duo safely entered the elevator. "Did you guys notice Sang Wook and Hoseok was outside?"

"No" Jooheon answered. He was to focus on the monitor to even be aware of everything else around him.

"I thought I was seeing things" Hyunwoo replied as he fixes the baby on his chest. "Where are they now?' 

"They go home. Sang Wook can't stop crying so Hoseok had to bring him here" 

Hyunwoo and Jooheon didn't say anything else. 

"By the way, Kihyun wake up. Still high from all the meds, but he is responsive and his heartbeat is normal again"

"Great" Hyunwoo replied. Relieved. 

Silence comes again. Minhyuk is focused on the tiny baby in Hyunwoo's embrace. Jooheon is writing something on the file.  

"You look a little distracted" Hyunwoo suddenly said. "Is it about Kihyun?"

"No, Kihyun is fine. It just...Hyungwon" Minhyuk exhales a heavy breath. "It is sweet of him for staying with Kihyun all the time but I feel like...you know, Hyungwon is...I don't know" he can't put his thought into words. 

"Like what?" Hyunwoo is concerned. When he reaches the ward earlier, he notices Hyungwon is not his usual self too. Like he is in a daze or having too much thought in his mind. 

"We are Hyungwon's parents today" Minhyuk blurts out. 

Jooheon frowned at the statement. 

"Isn't he didn't keep in touch with his parents?" Hyunwoo asked.

"Do you know why? Because they are too busy for him" Minhyuk replied. 

"I think you guys owe me an explanation," Jooheon said. 

"Hyungwon was raised by his grandmother. His parents were never really in the picture when he was growing up. When his grandmother passed away, his parents send him to a boarding school. His life has become so much worse since then. He was bullied a lot and that improves his fighting skill. Instead of trying to understand his drastic changes of behaviour, his parents just give up on him. They said he is damaged beyond repair. Hyungwon never return home since then and they lost contact just like that" 

"I still don't understand what you mean with 'we are Hyungwon's parents today'" Jooheon replied. 

"Kihyun went through something horrible today. All I care about is stopping the labour. Sunho is trying his best to stop him from getting an attack. You were focusing on the baby. We are just busy working" 

Jooheon still looks confused. 

"Kihyun is surrounded by people. But, no one is actually paying attention to him" Hyunwoo simplify Minhyuk sentence. 

Jooheon gasped. "We are Hyungwon's parents today" he sighed. "That is why he refuses to leave Kihyun. He doesn't want Kihyun to feel alone"

Minhyuk just makes a face that says 'exactly'. 

"Even worst, Kihyun was asking for me and I wasn't there" Hyunwoo sighed. "I hate Kihyun's parents for making their only child doubted his self-worth, for making him think that he was cursed. But, I hate Hyungwon's parents more than them now"

"Henry and Harriet aren't my biological children. But, I look forward to meeting them after my long working hours every single time. How can his parents turn blind on him?" Jooheon sounds a little mad. 

"I personally think Kihyun's parent is much better too. At least, they acknowledge Kihyun existence. Though, they can't accept his differences" Minhyuk said. "If one day, Hyungwon parents show up in Hyungwon life, I swear to God...I will teach them regret"

Hyunwoo looks down at his newborn son. Suddenly have a lot of thought in his mind.

"You and Kihyun will be great parents. I am sure of that" Minhyuk said as if he can read Hyunwoo's mind.

"I'm trying my best here" Hyunwoo replied. "I can't promise I will be there for you all the time. But, I promise you can count on me in your darkest hour" he said to the newborn. 

Jooheon and Minhyuk just smile when they heard Hyunwoo said that. Hyunwoo is an orphan who grows up in an orphanage almost the whole of his life. But, both of them dare to swear that Hyunwoo is doing an excellent job in taking care of his little family compare to those who actually have it, in their whole life.