Part 33

DESTINY

"Papa" Sang Wook run to hug his father's leg as soon as he sees his parents walk in. 

Kihyun quietly walks past them to put Hyunwoo's bag in the room. He then goes to his room to put his bag before joining the others in the living room. 

"You draw this?" Hyunwoo asks while he takes a proper look at the drawing Sang Wook shows to him. It's a drawing of a beach view at sunset. 

"With Uncle Hoseok," Sang Wook said excitedly. "Uncle Hoseok is so much fun. He teaches me to draw well and my teacher compliments me a lot"

Hoseok is sitting on the floor in front of them enjoying the moment of the father and son reunion.

"I bet your favourite uncle change again" Kihyun commented as he takes a seat next to Hoseok on the floor. He naturally leads to his partner as he watches his husband and son are having their own conversation. "Sang Wook is really a papa's boy, isn't he?" he whispers to Hoseok. 

"He's his parent's boy. He keeps talking about both of you when you guys are not around" Hoseok replied as he wraps his hand over Kihyun shoulder. 

"A man taste should not change easily, Sang Wook- ah. You should be firm" Hyunwoo suddenly give his son a life lesson. 

"All of my uncles are fun. Uncle Minhyuk let me eat whatever I want because he doesn't want me to be a picky eater when I grow up. It would be fun to taste all the food in the world. Uncle Hyungwon let me do whatever I want because he wants me to grow up brave. Uncle Jooheon teaches me to love everyone because we are all made from the same thing. According to him, we may look different, but we actually don't and I agree with him. Uncle Changkyun teach me a lot of science stuff and his lesson proves that Uncle Jooheon is correct. Uncle Hoseok teach me to be creative because creativity is fun. I can't make a decision yet" Sang Wook happily rambling about his uncles.

"What about mama and papa?" Kihyun asked out of the blue and it makes Sang Wook confused. "I'm going to sulk, Wook-ah" he teases his son. 

"Being different is not a shame" Sang Wook answered confidently and make both Hoseok and Hyunwoo impressed at his answer. 

"You grow up too fast. Slow down a little, son" Kihyun said as he gets up to give his son a kiss. "Watch your papa for me, while I make dinner?" he asked and Sang Wook happily nodded while giving him a thumb up. After a few minutes of being alone in the kitchen, Hoseok shows up to help him. "Thanks for watching him for us. You like a part-time babysitter these days" 

"Don't mention it. I love him as much as you guys love him, maybe a little more than I love you" Hoseok replied. 

"Aww, I thought first love is unchallenged" Kihyun make a sulking face and Hoseok play along with him by cooed at him.

"Well, I heard you were leaving early today because you receive a phone call from the hospital. Should I be a concern?" Hoseok asked while washing the vegetable on the sink. He heard about it when the secretaries are exchanging gossip in their firm pantry. 

"It's not about me. It's Shin Ja Kyung" Kihyun replied as he open two can of spam. "We had a talk before she's crashing" he take the spam out from the cans before cutting it into pieces.

"Crashing? Is she ok?" Hoseok sound concern. 

"I don't know. But, I asked Changkyun before I leave and he said high likely she won't make it" 

"That's bad. Did you guys talk about the case?"

"The case is all we talked about" Kihyun exhales a heavy breath before he turns on the stove. "We thought wrong, Hoseok. She's not the killer"

"Sorry, but she admitted to causing her death. Killing her is the first thing that comes to mind. If she is gone, isn't whatever she tells you will be hearsay?" Hoseok asked.

"Not really, I can make an application under dying declaration. It's an exemption to the hearsay rule. But...." Kihyun paused a moment. "Using whatever she said in the court, high likely will cause some political havoc" he added. 

"Then, please don't tell me the detail. I don't want to get involved" Hoseok quickly said. He really has no intention to be part of it. "What you gonna do about it?" 

"I'm thinking about contacting Kang Insung's counsel" 

"That. I can help you with, my partner" Hoseok leave the washed vegetable on the table and left to take his phone in the living room. He smiles when he sees both Sang Wook and Hyunwoo is fast asleep on the couch. Hyunwoo is leaning to the couch while Sang Wook using his leg as the pillow. Cute, he thought. Hoseok picks up his phone and makes a call to someone, turning off the television in the process. 

Kihyun is in the middle of frying the vegetables and the spam altogether in the pan when Hoseok returns with a small piece of paper. He looks at his partner confuse when Hoseok slides the paper into his pocket. 

"I have every corporation information in Korea, including the one that can help you quickly search certain information" Hoseok brag with a cute smile on his face. "Don't worry. My partner is a criminal litigator. I'm well exposed which line is safe to cross and which line is purely there to keep us out from danger" he continues when Kihyun look like he is about to say something about how he gets the information.

"I'm about to say...dinner is ready" Kihyun turn off the stove. 

"Oh" Hoseok exclaims as he reaches out for a plate and gives it to Kihyun. "Hyunwoo is asleep though"

"I will make something else for him later" Kihyun simply said.

Sang Wook wakes up and squinted his eyes. He looks around and tries to remember how did he end up in his room because he remembers he was falling asleep in the living room last night. "Mama probably brings me here," he said as he gets off of his bed and goes to his mother's room. Empty. He pouts a little. It's 8.30 am on Saturday and his mother is already out for work. He goes to his father room and immediately stops pouting when he sees his father is still on the bed. He entered the room and carefully climb the bed so he doesn't wake up his father. He watches his father sleeping for a while before he gets distracted by the butterfly on the window. 

"Did papa sleep with his window open?" he's talking to himself. "Oh, right" he changes the way he sits and turns his body to face the window. "I should greet Dasom-ie and mommy" 

Hyunwoo was actually awake and pretend to be still asleep when he heard Sang Wook opening his door earlier. He was the one who pulls the curtain open. His plan is to surprise Sang Wook when his son wakes him up, but hearing Sang Wook talking alone force him to open his eyes. Sang Wook is back facing him and talking to the window, or is he talking to the butterfly on the window, or is he talking to the sky?. Hyunwoo doesn't know for sure so he decided to asks.

"Dasom-ie and mommy Dasom" Sang Wook answered innocently.

Hyunwoo sits up and makes Sang Wook sit facing him.

"Harriet told me that her sister is an angel in heaven. Her name is Hillary. She said her sister left to help their parents to watch over her and Henry from heaven. So, I told her that I have a unicorn sister"

Hyunwoo realizes it doesn't matter how mature his son talk or act for his age, Sang Wook is still a child at heart. Children a competitive pretty much about everything. He believes when Jinhee is talking about Hillary, Sang Wook is triggered to brag about her sister. "Can I know what you guys talk about?" 

"Harriet said she talked to Hillary even though she isn't here and I told her I want to talk Dasom-ie too. She teaches me to pray. I'm not good at it yet. When my teacher said we can't go home because the weather is bad, I talked to Dasom-ie through prayer. I told her to take care of the good people so they don't get hurt. I believe she listened to me that night" 

Listening to his son talking, Hyunwoo is somehow convinced the fact that he survives the primary blast is thanks to his children. There is no scientific explanation for how could he survives the explosion impact when the baby he was shielding with his whole body did not survive it. But, then he realized Sang Wook mentioned 'good people'. He shakes his head and mentally reprimanded himself, that's not the case. 

"I'm so proud to have Dasom-ie as my sister, papa. She has to go because she needs to help people. Yet, she had not forgotten about us here" Sang Wook said proudly. "I love her with whole my heart" 

"Well, I love her with my whole heart too," Hyunwoo said with a fatherly smile on his face. "Do you talk about your sister often, Sang Wook-ah?" he suddenly becomes curious. 

"I want to. But, most of my friends don't understand. So, I don't" 

"You barely mentioned about her to me or your mama. Why?" 

"I'm afraid I make papa and mama sad. Mama and papa must have missed her more than I do" 

Hyunwoo exhales a heavy breath. His son is barely six years old and is already careful about what to say or not to say to his parents. It somehow reminds him how Jooheon decided to keep a secret when he faces a really hard time, like the hostage case or when Changkyun broke up with him, just because he doesn't want to bother people. Hyunwoo gives it a thought and he is sure he doesn't want Sang Wook to facing his problem alone in the future. 

"Come here" Hyunwoo gestures for his son to give him a hug. 

Sang Wook does what he is told and carefully. He doesn't want to hurt his father because getting hurt means that his father will need treatment and be away from home again. He doesn't like that.

"I want you to remember this Sang Wook. No matter what or when you can always come to us and talk to us about anything. Ok?" Hyunwoo said gently as he hugs his son as tight as his injuries allowed him. 

"I will papa" Sang Wook replied and kiss his father on the cheek before releasing himself. 

"Mama is not home today. Do you mind going out with me?" Hyunwoo asked.

Sang Wook nodded excitedly. It's been a while since he spends time with his father. Ever since his mother got hospitalized months ago, his father is always occupied with work. Sometimes he is afraid his father will fall sick from working too much and he is aware of people called him a papa boy because it seems he prefers his father a lot more than his mother. But, the truth is he loves his parents equally. He just appears to prefer his father to his mother because his father is usually spending time at work a lot more than at home, and that makes Sang Wook missed him more. It's true that his mother is sometimes busy with work too. But, the good thing is he still can hang out with his mother during such time. He lost count of how much time he has spent the night at his mother office and was quite disappointed that he can't do the same at his father's workplace. Of course, he doesn't mind hanging out with his father today as long as his father did not overdo it.