Part 3

DESTINY

Hyunwoo stands in front of the brain scan result, frowning. 

"I'm pretty sure I don't have to explain to you anything," Changkyun said - standing next to Hyunwoo with both hands in the pocket of his white jacket.

"There must be something we missed" Hyunwoo wipes his face in frustration. "He was beaten up. His symptoms matched the TBI diagnosis" he added after sighing heavily.

"I am aware of his past injuries. But, his brain scan is clean. Some of his brain parts are a bit dark, but I don't think that's a nerve injury. I think it is more of a psychological thing"

Hyunwoo looks at Changkyun with a 'what' stare.

"You said he was depressed. Lawyer Lee also confirmed that Lawyer Yoo tries to kill himself with a sleeping pill a few times. Personally, I think you bring him to the wrong doctor" Changkyun shrugged.

"Are you saying he is mentally sick?"

"It seems like it. His test result is normal. His hormone reading is a bit abnormal, but not a major concern - at least for me. His scans are clear. Those symptoms may be caused by some emotional disturbance. I am referring him to the psychiatry department"

"Can you ask for Hyungwon to be in charge?" Hyunwoo asked, concerned.

"Sure. I can do that" Changkyun replied as he takes a seat on the chair. "It's been a while since I saw you this passionate about a patient" he continued.

Hyunwoo did not reply.

"You what I really mean is that I am glad you are showing some emotion again after what happened" Changkyun added.

Hyunwoo smiles weakly. 

"Is there anything you want to tell me?" Changkyun asked as he gently stares at Hyunwoo. "Should I be worried about this sudden change? Some cases show that traumatic events may cause some sudden behavioural change in adults"

"You are thinking too much" Hyunwoo replied. "He is my housemate. An orphan. You know I always have a soft spot for orphans" he added - trying to make the neurosurgeon stop assuming there is something special about his behaviour towards Kihyun.

"I won't judge you if you said you fell in love with him. Lawyer Yoo is a loveable man. Even I have a man crush on him. He radiates this familiarity feeling despite I have never known him before. His smiles are something worth fighting for" Changkyun said. "Has he smiled at you?" he randomly asked. "He hasn't smiled at me so far. I only see him smiling from afar. Like when he was talking to the nurse, Lawyer Lee while I am writing notes on his chart"

Hyunwoo knows there is nothing that would go unnoticed by the neurosurgeon. So, he pulls a chair and takes a seat in front of the latter. "Yoo Kihyun is the sole survivor of the cruise explosion"

Changkyun is taken aback by the sudden drop of a fact. Then, it comes to his mind that if he checks Yoo Kihyun's medical record more thoroughly - he might find that out without Hyunwoo telling him - which makes him doubt his diagnosis. Maybe Hyunwoo is right, they may have missed something in the test.

"You know how I feel about the sole survivor. I hated him with all my heart. I even prayed to God to make his life miserable" Hyunwoo added.

"I'm pretty sure God is not that stupid to hear your ridiculous prayer, Hyunwoo. You may think your prayer is the reason he becomes like this, but what happened to him is not your fault. It's his ex-girlfriend.... and you were grieving, you were heartbroken. Angry and denial is a common responses. Trust me, I've been there" Changkyun replied calmly. 

Hyunwoo exhales heavily. "I know that. I just... I feel like I have contributed to his misery. You read his file. He suffered 6 broken ribs. One of his lungs was punctured. His jaws were dislocated, he even had some internal bleeding and now... he is sick and we don't know why"

"You know what, I am no Chae Hyungwon but I can tell you this with confidence - sometimes the only thing we can do to ease our guilty heart... is face it" Changkyun squeezed his friend's shoulder. "Tell him the truth. Honesty is always the best policy" he added. 

"What should I say? 'My wife was on the same cruise as you and I hate you for surviving. So, I pray to God to make your life a living hell and now regretting it'?" Hyunwoo sounds sarcastic but Changkyun remains unaffected. "His girlfriend blames him for her mother's death. What do you think he will feel if I told him I blame him for my wife's death?" 

"You can start by explaining, your wife had passed away and the reason why you are still wearing your wedding ring is that you love her so much. You shouldn't keep him in the dark about your marital status, at the very least. Hopefully, the truth will be unfolded by itself, then" Changkyun said. He waited for Hyunwoo to respond to him for a few seconds, but since the latter seem to have a lot of things to consider - he leaves to check on his patients. 

Hoseok walks into Kihyun's ward and smiles at his partner who looks like he is about to die out of boredom. "Did you get the result?" 

"No" Kihyun sound frustrated. "Why did I agree to come to the hospital with you guys?"

"You didn't agree. Dr Sohn kind of kidnapping you that day" Hoseok replied, jokingly.

"Right," Kihyun exhales a heavy breath. "....and you are the accessories to the crime".

"So, what? You are going to send me behind the bars?"

"I'm considering it, but for now, ignoring you will do"  

Changkyun and Hyunwoo walk into the ward together. 

"How are you feeling today?" Changkyun asked as he goes through Kihyun's medical chart. "You vomited twice this morning. Do you still feel nauseous?" 

"A little" Kihyun answered honestly. 

Changkyun proceeds to ask a few other common questions and Kihyun cooperates with him well by giving a straightforward answer.

"About your test, we already have your result" 

Kihyun suddenly feels anxious. He is sure that nothing is wrong with him but the changes in the neurosurgeon's tone are making him worried. Especially, with Hyunwoo's blank expression. He can't help but feel nervous. 

"You are fine. Nothing is wrong with you. At least physically" Changkyun added as he gave a piece of paper to Kihyun. "Since we already confirmed that you are physically healthy, we would like to refer you to a psychiatrist. You have represented oppressed employees against a company before, aren't you?"

"I have" Kihyun wondered how that case have something to do with his health condition.

"So, you are well aware of how our psychological condition can affect our physical condition, and... "

"I don't have a stigma against psychological related issues" Kihyun cut off the neurosurgeon. Somehow, he can tell the latter is going to make a lengthy explanation about the importance of mental health. "Dr Chae Hyungwon" he reads the name on the paper, and there is a phone number too.

"He is a friend of ours and a great psychiatrist. You will be in good hands, don't worry" Changkyun replied. 

"I am not worried. I've met him several times before" 

"Really?" Hyunwoo sound surprise. 

"Yeah, when he was called as an expert witness in the court" Kihyun answered. 

"Oh!" Hoseok exclaims. "He was the prosecution expert witness this morning too" he added. 

"He is pretty famous among the criminal litigators. Many try to hire him. But, he always sided with the prosecution. It's funny to meet him like this" Kihyun laughed a little - as if he is laughing at himself.

"Did you try to hire him too?" Hyunwoo asked.

"No. I live my life a hard way. Since everyone said he is the best, I find more satisfaction in nullifying his statement rather than working together" Kihyun replied as he put the paper underneath his phone on the table.

"Then, I assume you will obediently attend the appointment I book for you," Changkyun says and receives a nod. "Okay, I will go and prepare your discharge paper"

"I can go home?" Kihyun sound surprised.

"Yup. You can go home as soon as your discharge paper is ready" Changkyun answered with a smile before leaving the ward.

"Thanks, Dr Im" Kihyun replied. The neurosurgeon just waves at him without looking back as the latter leaves the ward.

As soon as Changkyun leaves the ward, Hyunwoo comes closer to his housemate. He takes his time to gather his courage before gently calling for his housemate who is in the middle of celebrating the news of his discharge with Hoseok. "I have something to tell you" 

"Then, I should take my leave," Hoseok said wanting to give the housemates some privacy. But, Hyunwoo stopped him from leaving.

"Since you are his guardian, I think you should know too," Hyunwoo said.

"What is it?" Kihyun is getting nervous about Hyunwoo's behaviour.

Hoseok takes a seat next to Kihyun on the bed and waits for Hyunwoo to say whatever he is about to say - hoping it is nothing serious.

"I know how you despise being held captive in this ward and I want you to know the reason why I did this" Hyunwoo says carefully. 

"You try to win the Best Housemate award?" Kihyun jokes - trying to lighten up the situation.

Hyunwoo just smiles a little. Then, he shakes his head. "I do what I do because I want to ease my guilty feeling"

"Guilt?" both Kihyun and Hoseok ask, confused. 

"I am not really a married man, Kihyun. My wife... she's gone. She passed away"

Hoseok is surprised but Kihyun looks like he already knows about this.

"She was one of the casualties of the explosive cruise accident. I bought the trip ticket for our wedding anniversary, but I had an important surgery. So, I told her to go on the cruise by herself. When I heard that news, I was....I...."

"You wished me death and your wife live," Kihyun says as he reaches out for Hyunwoo's hand. 

Hyunwoo is surprised by the action. 

"It's okay, Hyunwoo. I'm pretty sure you weren't the only one who feels that way. 120 passengers on that cruise and I'm the only survivor. Trust me, I wish I was dead too" Kihyun squeeze the hand a little. "You are mending your heart, Hyunwoo. I can understand, and I want you to remember this... what happened to me is nothing on you" he continued.

Hyunwoo just keeps his silence. He didn't expect Kihyun to react like this. As if he already knows about it, like it doesn't bother him at all. Hyunwoo wonders if he ever tells him anything but Hyunwoo is sure he never talks about his wife with anyone ever since he moves to Seoul.

"You owe me nothing," Kihyun says as he flashes his trademark smile.  

Hoseok can't help but wonder about his friend's calmness towards the confession.

So, does Hyunwoo. Looking at Kihyun's reaction makes him realize that Changkyun's suspicion about Kihyun's mental health is reasonable.