Part 13

DESTINY

"You should do this often to prevent lactation mastitis," the nurse said as she helps Kihyun to clean up after the pumping session. 

"What's that?" Kihyun asked confused. He's actually embarrassed a female nurse come to help him do this. Luckily, the nurse is a middle-aged woman and she was also the one that helps him throughout his labour and delivery yesterday. The embarrassment should be long forgotten now, however, his male instinct kicks in out of nowhere.

"Inflammation of the br_east. Sometimes a blocked milk duct can cause infection. If that happens, it will be hard for you to take care of your baby" the nurse explained nicely. "You should take a few hours of good sleep. I will 'return' your baby to you after that"

"I'm tired, but I don't feel like sleeping," Kihyun said as he leans back in his bed. 

"Aww, sweetheart" the nurse cup Kihyun's face with her hand. The trace of old age and life experience is evident in her hand. "I know there are no words that can give you comfort right now. But, I had a unicorn baby myself too. You gonna feel empty and numb but soon enough you will realize that many little angels out there are safe because you had yours"

"Unicorn baby?"

"My son died at birth too. I refuse to donate his organ but my husband insisted. I was upset, but then I realize that my son had helped so many in his short period of life. More than my whole life, for a matter of fact. He is just like a unicorn. Healing people and left," the nurse then hold Kihyun's hand tightly. "It's not easy to give birth to a unicorn, sweetheart. Only the chosen one will have to face it. You should take pride in it" she smiles. 

Kihyun smiles too. For some reason, her words give comfort to his aching heart. To be honest, Kihyun is not ready and maybe will never be to let her go. He initially wants to wait a little longer. Who knows, a miracle will occur, if he waits long enough? However, a nurse comes to check on him when he was alone last night. He asked the nurse what exactly happened to his daughter and the nurse explains something about the absence of brainstem reflexes. Kihyun looks it up on the internet and he didn't like what he found. In addition to that, he had witnessed what unwillingness to let go have done to Hyunwoo and Changkyun. Kihyun is not sure if he is strong enough to live like that. Hence, even though his heart is reluctant - Kihyun know letting go is the right decision to make. 

When the nurse left, Changkyun walks in. 

“Changkyun” Kihyun stretch his hand for a hug. Changkyun joins him on the bed and hugs him tightly before pulling away. “You look exhausted” Kihyun commented.

“You too” Changkyun replied.

"How things are going there?" Kihyun asked about the organ extraction surgery. 

"Great. They had sent samples to the lab. The test result will come back in a couple of hours, I think. After that, they will send her organ and tissue out respectively" Changkyun let out a heavy breath.

Kihyun pulls Changkyun to lie down beside him. He cuddles with the neurosurgeon without asking for permission first.

“Hyunwoo will kill me if he sees us like this” Changkyun said.

“Jooheon will kill me if he sees us like this too” Kihyun replied.

They are both laughing. 

"This brings back the memory of when you were pregnant," Changkyun said. "Your pregnancy sickness was horrible and you can barely sleep. But, you sleep just fine on my shoulder"

"I remember that" Kihyun smiles. "I wake up with a sore neck. You should have moved me or something, you know"

"The others told me to not move. Blame that on them" 

Silence. 

"Sleep?" Kihyun asked. 

Changkyun shakes his head. Kihyun can't see but he can feel the head shaking on top of his head.

"You're tired. You should sleep"

"I wasn't the one who give birth yesterday" Changkyun replied. 

"I heard you had 18 hours of surgery. That's tiring. The longest I ever had to stand during trial is 5 hours" Kihyun said. 

"Should I start explaining to you how childbirth takes a toll on the human body?"  

Kihyun shakes his head. 

"You should sleep. You heard the nurse. Get proper sleep and they will let you take care of your son"

"Should I sing you a lullaby? I can use some practice" Kihyun jokes.

No replied. Kihyun looks up and sees Changkyun sleeping face. Kihyun wanted to get off the bed so the neurosurgeon can sleep comfortably but Changkyun tightens his hand around him. 

"Ok, I guess we are stuck like this for a while," Kihyun said to no one. 

“Yunie…when you grow up what kind of person would you be?” Dasom asks her little brother.

“A person who can take care of you” the 5 years old Changkyun answered confidently.

“Our Yunie is going to meds school?” Dasom says excitedly while checking the letter for the third time. She wants to make sure she didn’t read it wrong.

“I told you I will be someone who can take care of you, didn’t I?” the 20 years old Changkyun replied to his sister.

“Changkyun-ah…” Dasom pull her younger brother into a hug. “If I go to somewhere far, will you wait for me?” she's wearing her wedding dress and she look stunning.

“Is that even a question? Of course, I will” Changkyun replied.

“Will you look after Hyunwoo for me?” Dasom fixed Changkyun necktie. 

“I pretty sure your beloved Hyunwoo can take care of himself better than I can. But, I will. I told you I will be someone who can take care of you, that involves all your loved one” Changkyun is actually nervous about walking her sister on the aisle later.

“Yunie-ah…” Dasom said on the phone. “I think I have fallen in love again”

“What?” Changkyun asked. Obviously, surprise.

“I’ve met a guy on this cruise. He’s such a gentleman” Dasom is joking but obviously Changkyun missed it.

“Noona, Hyunwoo sends you to the cruise to celebrate your guys wedding anniversary. Even though, he is not there but I still think it wrong for you to go around and flirts with other guy" 

"Why would I flirt with another guy if my husband is here?” Dasom replied, trying to hold her laughter.

“What is his name?” Changkyun sound mad.

“Yoo Kihyun. I bet you will love him too if you meet him. He’s very polite and his smiles is like an oasis in the middle of desert”

“You are in the middle of the sea. You don’t need an oasis”

Dasom burst out laughing. “I was just joking, Yunie”

“I swear I’m going to teach you a lesson for joking like that” Changkyun almost yell at his sister.

“You know how rich people are, they only mingle with people in their class, I don’t have friends here. But, this woman approaches me. She wonders if I can give her company throughout the cruise because it's no fun to do all the girl activities alone. She comes with her husband and son. So, we somehow become a best friend and that’s how I know Yoo Kihyun. Her son, very respectful and polite. I want a son like him” Dasom explains.

“Let me get this straight, you fall in love with your best friend's son because you want her son to be your son?”

“That's sounds wrong” Dasom replied giggling. “By the way, come pick me up tomorrow at the harbor. I will introduce you to your 'nephew'”

“Sure. But, Hyunwoo can’t make it tomorrow. He has a convention in Ulsan”

“I know, he told me” Dasom think for a while. “Changkyun-ah, if I don’t come tomorrow. Don’t wait for me. Just go home”

“I will wait for you no matter how long. I can’t never trusted you finding your own way around Seoul” Changkyun ended up the phone call.

“Our Yunie…” Dasom wakes up her younger brother gently. “Why are you still here?” she asked.

Changkyun squinted his eyes at the bright light. 

“I told you to go home”

Changkyun look around him. They are somewhere in a place that he can’t recognize. Everything is too white, and the wind breeze is very calming.

“I found my place and you don’t belong here. Don’t wait for me anymore. Go home" 

"Noona?" Changkyun looks at the beautiful woman confused.

"I'm not hurting. Neither should you. Go home"

Changkyun opened his eyes. A foul smell of medicine. He looks around and notices he's in a ward with Kihyun in his embrace. Sleeping like a baby.

"You cried in your sleep," Hyungwon said. 

Changkyun wonders why he didn't see the psychiatrist earlier. 

"She told me to go home," Changkyun said. 

Hyungwon frowned at the statement.

"My sister, Dasom told me to go home," Changkyun said with a sad smile on his face. 

Hyungwon exhales a heavy breath. He reaches out his hand and Changkyun reaches back.  

Hoseok is about to walk into the ward. He comes rushing from the airport and is very anxious about his friend well being. But, the scene in front of him makes him freeze in his position. Changkyun and Hyungwon look like they are mentally communicating with each other. Then, he looks at Kihyun sleeping face. Peaceful. He feels relieved. Despite the unfortunate event, at least he knows that his friend is in good hands.