The Separated Life

DESTINY

Half a year later... 

Madam Na is the middle of watering her plant in the garden when a black SUV entering the front yard. She put down the watering can and walks to the SUV, waiting for whomever in the van to come out patiently. To her surprise, it's her friend - the one who works for the Hope Foundation. For safety issue, six months ago, right after the children are saved, they all went separately. Daniel and Dayoung brought to the Hope Foundation's facility as soon as they are taken out from the collapsing factory - whereby, Kihyun and Si Woo are taken to the nearby hospital. 

"I thought we shouldn't be in touch," Madam Na said to her friend.

"I have a piece of good news. Couldn't stop me from coming here and telling you myself." 

"What is it?" Madam Na asked without much interest. 

"Im Daniel wakes up and is recovering well... and his first word after coming out from coma is 'ouch'. The boy can feel pain" 

Madam Na can feel her heart skipped a beat when she heard that. Six months ago, the last word she heard from her friend was 'don't get your hope too much'. Well, if her friend did not tell her that, she also understands how much damage can the fall makes on the boy body. Daniel is a little bit small for his age and falling from a second-floor like that can be very detrimental. 

"I am not sure what you are feeding these children, but they survive all this like they are made for this. It's really a miracle."

Madam Na smiles bitterly. "Well... not all of them." 

"What do you mean? Si Woo... ?"

"Si Woo is inside. Ever since I brought him home four months ago, he did not leave his room even once. He completely disconnects himself from everything. He didn't even pull his curtain open anymore. It seems you are not aware of what actually happening it. I thought your group covers the news."

"What news?" 

"The news that stated the three children survive the gas leak. One of your team members comes to check on Si Woo that day, and he gives me a heads up that your team will not publish the kidnapping in the news. The cause of the explosion of the abandoned factory is caused by the non-maintenance of the gas supply instead of an illegal drug manufacturing. I read the news and was dumbfounded when I find out your team blamed Toby. The children are there because they are following a stray dog? At least give some credit to the poor dog, will you? He died protecting the boys. Even though, one of them could not make it... it doesn't change Toby sacrifice his life for the boys."

"Who are you talking about?" 

"You really don't know? Yoo Kihyun passed away."  

"Who told you that? We mentioned only three children in the news because we want to give the impression that Daniel is gone. It's quite expected, I mean he falls from the second floor. Well, I have nothing to say about the dog. It was a poor judgment but was right at that moment—nobody questioning that fact. Instead, there is a movement established to solve the stray dog issue, which is good for the future. Maybe there is some miscommunication here. Yoo Kihyun is still alive. Well, he is alive the last time I saw him, and it was after the surgery. Wait a minute. Are you talking about that incident or his mother is finally succeeded in killing him?" 

"What? No. Si Woo goes to search for Kihyun the moment he wakes up; he meets with Mrs Yoo. She told him that Kihyun died in the surgery. She told us to not show up at the..." Madam Na paused.

"Mrs Yoo is mentally ill. You are going to believe everything she said when you don't see the funeral yourself?" 

"She lied?" Madam Na sighed in frustration, "She throws all sort of mean word to me for not watching the kids properly that they ended up in that old abandoned factory. It was so much like... her emotion was so real. For the first time, I thought to myself that she actually cares about her son. I cannot believe that was an act" she said in disbelief. 

"For precaution, we transfer Mr Yoo to his company branch in Japan. He brings Kihyun's with him. Mrs Yoo is still here receiving treatment."

"Really?" 

"Mr Yoo may not a perfect father. But he loves his son. Just too ego to admit it yet. His wife is too dominant on him. Hope the distance will help him regain himself and provide a better world for his kid." 

"I am glad to hear that. But... " Madam Na turns to look at the second floor of the villa, "... should I told him that his best friend is still alive?" 

"That night, there is more than a dozen people died in the factory. I heard Si Woo is a highly manifested clairsentient. That night is a nightmare for us... I can't imagine what it's like for him. If telling him that Kihyun is still alive will help him feel better, maybe you should. Or maybe you shouldn't." 

"Why you said so?" 

"Mrs Yoo hates him. Maybe separating them for good, will actually help Kihyun form a good relationship with his mother. You know a classic mother-children story. You listen to me well, and you are my favourite thing. You understand this kind of thing more than I do." 

Madam Na is now torn in between either to tell Si Woo the truth or not. Her friend makes a good point, though. Si Woo might want to find Kihyun if he knows the latter is still alive. Plus, Si Woo is clairsentient and have this unexplainable bonding with Kihyun - the boy probably already know that his best friend is still alive. Just a few days ago, Si Woo told her that he picked up some random sense of Kihyun which she dismissed it as something phantom. 

"Did anyone come to see him?" 

"Only his grandmother. Madam Han come to the hospital to pay for the bill, and that's it"

"Well, if I am in his shoes... the fact that my family treat me like I don't exist breaks me more than the passing of my best friend. I've been there. Losing a family I never actually have killed me more than losing a person who treats me like I am their world."

A few days later... 

"Daniel is the car. He doesn't want to come closer to you because he is worried you might be picking up his senses" Dayoung said. 

Si Woo turns around to look at the black SUV. The back passenger door is opened, and he can see Daniel very well. When Daniel waves at him, he waves back. "Daniel feels different" he finally said something after an hour of sitting quietly next to Dayoung near the fish pond. 

"He is different. The doctor said the fallen had changed something in his body. It's like resetting his body to function normally. The fallen probably triggered something and causing some reaction to the serum he was injected with ever since he was a baby" Dayoung replied, "Nana said you don't go out much these days." 

"This is the first time." 

"I am sorry. For leaving you alone," Dayoung said as she takes a look at the boy's face. 

"People come and goes. That is how it always been" Si Woo turn to look at Dayoung again. "You are here to say goodbye, right? You and Daniel will be sent away tomorrow."

"You know?" 

"I picked that up from Daniel. His body is still recovering from the fall. He is in pain because of his injury and sad because he needs to move away." 

Dayoung forces a smile as she squeezes Si Woo's hand. "Should we pray for him?" 

Si Woo did not answer. 

"I will bring Daniel here. Wait a minute" Dayoung stands up and goes to the SUV. She easily carried her younger brother in bridal style - bringing him to Si Woo. She gently makes Daniel sit on the stone chair. "Let's pray for Kihyun, okay?" 

Daniel nodded without saying anything. Si Woo is a little reluctant but eventually agreed.

A few years later...

*Changkyun's Life*

"Why is my baby all smiley today?" Dasom asked as she is welcoming her younger brother's home. 

"I have a boyfriend. We are going to date each other from today" Changkyun simply answered as he goes to his room to put his bag. "How is your business today, Nuna?" he asked as he is walking out from his room. 

"I post out many plushies and delivered kimchi order all day. I haven't count the profit yet" Dasom pull Changkyun to sit next to her, "Who is this boy you are dating? I didn't know you are into a man." 

"Well, there is a possibility he is not a 'wholesome' man" Changkyun replied as he is leaning to his sister's shoulder. 

"It's not nice you are shading Kiki like that" Dasom pinched Changkyun's cheek. 

"I'm not shading Kiki. Most interse-x do not confess who they are unless they need too... and I don't date Jooheon because I am all over him, Nuna. It because he keeps asking me to go out with him. I told him that I might not be able to respond emotionally accordingly to him, and he said it's okay. It's a teenage crush, Nuna. These kinds of thing don't last long." 

"Yeah, right. I would love to see that backfire at you" Dasom replied. She knows this boy Jooheon since forever, and she has never seen anyone else as sincere as he is to befriend with Changkyun. Although, Changkyun is not as smart as before the fall - he still the smartest among his peers. Most of them only want to get a free tutorial from Changkyun. 

"I don't really need anyone, Nuna. I only need you. When I become an adult later, I will make a lot of money, so you don't have to work hard anymore." 

"How are you going to make a lot of money?" 

"I will be a doctor. I will make a lot of money by studying my body and help others." 

Dasom just smiles. She kissed Changkyun on the forehead. "Go rest in your room. I will prepare dinner real quick." 

"Can I help?" Changkyun asked as he looks at his sister's face. 

"Nope. The last time I let you in the kitchen. You are experimenting with the stove and almost burn the kitchen" Dasom said as she pushes the sulking Changkyun away from here. "Go rest" she added without looking at him. 

*Hyungwon's Life*

Hyungwon reaches the rooftop, and just like any other day, the person is standing at the edge of the school building again. This has been happening for weeks now - and Hyungwon has been secretly following the person for weeks too. In case if he is actually going to jump off the building. He actually has no real idea of who the person is - he just knows that he always got bully in his class. It was five or six weeks ago that Hyungwon comes to the rooftop enjoy the night view like he always does, and the person shows up - Hyungwon sense a strong suicidal feeling from the person. However, the moment the person get onto the edge of the building - the suicidal feeling went away almost immediately. Since then, Hyungwon has purposely gone to the rooftop to watches over him. Other than the suicidal, the person really has an issue with his self-competence and self-liking, which make Hyungwon concern about him.

After minutes of standing on the edge, Hyungwon sees the other person answering his phone. The conversation is short, but the person is happy with it. He can see that the other person jumping around happily while saying 'I got to transfer. Thanks, mother' like a chant. 

Hyungwon smiles. "I conveyed that message to his mother well," he said to himself. He actually picked up the sense that the person wanted to change school so he would not be bullied anymore. Hyungwon has been trying to telepathically communicate the intention to the person's parents for three weeks now - it started after he saw the person with her mother in the convenience store the other day. Not wanting to get caught, Hyungwon left the rooftop. 

The next day when he uses the washroom during lunch, he sees the person is getting bullied. Usually, he only heard about it from another student - this is the first time he saw it himself. Seeing the three boys surrounded and kicking the person making Hyungwon furious and he unconsciously throwing the trashcan to them - the trashcan is a steel type, and one of them sustained an injury to his head. When the other two tries to come to him, Hyungwon transfer whatever sense he picks from the person he's been following all this time to the bullies. It becomes a police case, and Hyungwon got a juvenile record for that. 

*****************

Hyungwon was laying on the couch when the doorbell rang. He forced himself to get off the couch and walks to the door. When he opened the door, he picked up a familiar sense. 

"Hi, I am Lee Minhyuk. The one who been texting you about the extra room. I come to see it today. Do you remember that?" 

Hyungwon smiles. His name is Lee Minhyuk; he thought to himself. Since this person is a victim, the police did not disclose his personal information during the juvenile case, and Hyungwon is too lazy to find out about him from the other student. "Come in" he simply said. 

Just like their high school day, the person is still like he was back then. The self insecurity is still too strong. This time Hyungwon sense a self-disappointment too. 

"Why your last housemate move out?" 

"Guess three months in law school break him down. He quit his study" Hyungwon answered. 

"You are a law student?" 

"No. Science medicine and psychology." 

"Really? I am from science medicine and surgery. We are from the same campus then. I have never seen you before." 

"I don't hang out in a place with many people around." 

"No wonder" Minhyuk stated before continue checking the room.

Hyungwon just watches over him quietly - which remind him of their rooftop moment. 

*Kihyun's Life*

Kihyun lost focus on the game when he sees his father is sitting on the audience chair - causing him to bump to another player while running around the court with his mind disturbed. Luckily, they are not injured, and the game continued. A moment later, when his team is passing him the ball, he failed to catches the ball - the ball hit him straight in his stomach. The basketball ended with the opponent team score a point more than his team - making their coach give them a long lecture after that. Due to that, Kihyun cannot talk to his father before his father left the hall. 

"Hey" 

"Hi" Kihyun simply answering. It's the opponent player he bumped to earlier. 

"Sorry for bumping to you. Are you okay? I am quite heavy, you know." 

"Are you mocking me for my size?" Kihyun suddenly feels annoyed. But, it is a fact that the other person is like twice his size.

"No. No. No. That's not what I mean." 

"You a new player? I hadn't seen you before" Kihyun asked as they walk side by side. 

"No. I am merely replacing my friend. I am a swimmer." 

"No wonder your shoulder is so wide. Guess my shoulder width will fit in your shoulder blade" Kihyun commented - he started to feel pain in his stomach. "Your team leave already. Why are you still here?" 

"I was waiting for you. I don't think it nice to left without saying sorry." 

Kihyun did not say anything back as the pain is getting stronger. 

"Why don't you leave with your team?"

Kihyun let out a tiny groan. 

"Are you okay?"

Instead of answering, Kihyun dropped on his knees as he holds his stomach. He can't be really sure, but he swears the other person just carried him up and rushed him to the nearby clinic. 

When Kihyun comes to consciousness, the first thing he heard is his parents arguing with each other. He is laying on a hospital bed with an IV drip is attached to his hand. The player from earlier suddenly entered the ward and said 'It's mine'. Kihyun did not understand what is happening, but his mother stopped talking and storming out from the room - and his father chasing after her as usual. 

"What was that?" Kihyun asked as he tried to sit up and the player instantly helping him. 

"They suspected that you got a miscarriage." 

Kihyun becomes a wide eye. 

"I heard everything. I know you are different. You mother is looking for someone to blame. So, I said it is mine." 

"Are you crazy? I don't even know you." 

"The truth doesn't matter to your mother. She just needed someone to leash her frustration. I just wanted to help." 

"You talk like you know me. You don't. Why are you even helping me?"

"Because you need help."

"Are you stalking me? 

"No, just happened to be there. I wait to apologies." 

"Okay" Kihyun wipes his face in frustration. "What is your name? Who are you?" 

"Sohn Hyunwoo. You?" 

"Seriously? You claim you are the father of my baby, and you don't even know my name." 

"I heard your teammates called you Kay." 

Kihyun sighed heavily, "Let's not meet again." 

"That's not up to you." 

"What do you mean?" Kihyun frowned.

"Destiny. If I am mean to meet you again, nothing can stop that." 

"Just get out. Leave me alone. Whatever you hear today, forget it. Forget everything" Kihyun pleaded.

"Okay" 

Kihyun hides under his blanket the moment Hyunwoo walk out from his ward. 

Later that night, the test result comes back. The bleeding is actually his menstrual blood, and the stomach cramp is due to his stress level - and Kihyun has never felt so much despise toward the hospital than now. Due to their reckless diagnosis, his biggest secret in life is exposed to a stranger who is probably talking about it to his friends. The only good thing about this that Sohn Hyunwoo guy is not someone from his school. But still, he keeps telling himself to become a lawyer so he can sue the hospital himself in the future.