Part 34

DESTINY

"Nari and I used to grow up together. My mother was a maid at her house. When my mother passed away, I decided to move out from there and work somewhere else. I keep working as a part-time from one place to another. It's purely a coincidence, I become the gardener at Nari's school. We become close again. She tells me everything. Especially, stuff she can't talk to her family. She introduces Kang Insung to me and he is a sweetest boy I ever met. One day Nari come to me, looking all stressed out and terrified. She said she's pregnant. During the school winter break, she joins her father in his working trip. It wasn't Insung's, she is pregnant with one of the diplomat's sons child. I don't know for sure but the way she talks about it, I assume she was force to do it. She made a mistake and want to fix it before her father find out. She told me she wanted to get an abortion even though Insung told her to not do it. He was worried for her safety. Insung said he will take responsibility, if he have to. But, Nari wants nothing to do with the baby.. and that's why Nari asked me to accompany her which I did. The procedure went well and Nari was allowed to attend school the next day. I don't know how but Insung find out and they got a huge fight. Insung was already heart broken about Nari cheating on her and that abortion just hit his limits. He broke up with Nari in front of their friends and Nari was so embarrassed. He did not mention anything about the pregnancy though. That noon, she did not enter her class. She cried in the toilet. I was with her, talking to her from outside the toilet stall - calming her down. When I heard nothing from the inside, I unlocked the toilet stall with my hairpin. When the door is open, she was barely conscious and bleeding out. I wanted to get help but she told me not to. She rather died than letting her father know what happened. She makes me promise to never let anyone know about this. She died in my embrace because I was so stupid to actually do what she told me to do. I buried her body deep in the wood behind the school, near the cliff, because of the stupid promise I made to her. Then, I asked for a sick leave. I didn't come to work and eventually got fired. When I return to pick up my stuff from the school, I heard Insung become the prime suspect of Nari missing case. I never thought to come forward then, because I know for sure they will let him go. Insung was never involved. I left to the country side and live my life like nothing happened. A few months later, I go to the city to visit a friend and I was so shocked to hear that he is found guilty. No matter how mad he is at Nari, he never gets physical towards her. How could they come up with the idea, he kills her?. The blood stains on his handkerchief is from when Nari got a nosebleed when she got hit with a ball in their PE class"

Kihyun switched off the MP3. "This woman shows up in my firm asking for help. This was recorded a second before she's crashing yesterday, and...I'm sorry to tell you, she passed away this morning" 

Jung Joongwon wipes his face and sighing in frustration. "After all these years, a witness come forward and she's dead" 

"Even if she is here, you can't use that in court" Kihyun replied.

"What do you mean?"

"A diplomat's son impregnates her during her father official working trip. Illegal abortion, bleeding out of the dead. Chain of causation" Kihyun give the man in front of him multiple hints instead of telling him straightforwardly. 

"A political tension" Joongwon let out another sighed. "So, this is why Insung refuses to open his mouth. This boy chooses to waste almost 10 years of his life to make sure his girlfriend dark tale is not exposed to the public and raise a national concern" 

"Well, not all heroes go to the battlefield. Thanks to him, whatever country it is, our diplomatic relationship with them is still intact" Kihyun replied. "Plus, Nari is not here to tell us her side of the story"

Joongwon looks at Kihyun for a moment. Even though this is their first meeting, but he had heard a lot about the lawyer in front of him. Yoo Kihyun is the example you will use to tell the story to all the young lawyers out there to never stop pursuing their dream. Everyone in the legal field knows how Yoo Kihyun rises from no one to somebody. Honestly, he kind of a big fan of the man in front of him and it make him sad that all people are talking about Yoo Kihyun these days is the fight he had with his girlfriend in the court. "If I can't use this, then why you let me hear it?"

"Kang Insung is your client. After all these years, I believe you had doubts about him. Hope this clears some of those" 

"Thanks, it does. But, it seems like there is nothing I can do for him now" 

Kihyun watches the man in front of him taking a sip of a beer. It's like 10 in the morning, the park is still empty, and this man is already needing an escape from reality. He has no idea what kind of trouble he is in but he is tempted to suggest the man set up an appointment with Dr. Chae Hyungwon. 

"Is there really nothing I can do for him now?" Joongwon sounds a little drunk. 

"You should file for notice to produce, ask the prosecutor to produce their paperwork and you should go through the notes of proceeding all over again. Read all the bundle of documents, the bundle of authority, everything you can get regarding that trial" Kihyun casually told the lawyer in front of him.

"Mind telling me why?" Joongwon doesn't get the point. 

"To create a storyline. All these times you are looking at this from your own perspective, I am pretty sure the prosecution has their own perspective regarding this. Find a loophole. Find if there is prejudice. Find if there is a sign of abuse of power. Focus on the time when the charge of aggravated assault was changed to murder. They might not give you a full version of their story, but you can fit the puzzle from what has been reported by the news. Go to archive if you have to, find all the news articles regarding Joo Nari's missing case" 

"Why should I do that?" 

"I happened to know you have been trying to make an appeal to quash the conviction and it got dismissed. So, I'm giving you are suggestion to start afresh. To look at things from a different perspective where you don't have to produce new evidence"

"What is that?"

"Judicial review" Kihyun can see that Joongwon is shocked at his suggestion. 

"You want me telling the government they make a wrong decision?" Joongwon suddenly becomes timid, because judicial review is such a huge thing and very powerful. This is because it can declare any law and actions of local, state, or national government are invalid if they are in conflict with the Constitution. 

"Isn't that the purpose of you appealing? You want them to realize that their wrong decision causing injustice to this young man?"

"Filing an appeal is merely asking the higher court to reverse the conviction. Judicial review is pretty much what you want me to tell everyone involved in this case that they acted beyond the law. You literally suggesting I questioning the legality of the decision made, the procedural use in this case. Are you forgetting that Joo Nari's father was a member of the National Policy Committee when this case was on trial? That man examines bills and petitions in our country. What makes you think the court will grant my application?"

"Well, you are not filing a lawsuit against him. You filing the lawsuit against the mechanism" 

"Yeah, but you told me to file a judicial review on the case where his daughter is the subject of the investigation" Joongwon does not sound like he is up for the challenge. 

"Law without justice is a wound without a cure. A society that has more justice is a society that needs less charity" 

"You want me to revise our oath now?" Joongwon remembers he said something like that when he takes his oath on the day he becomes a legal practitioner. It's not the real sentence, but it brings the same meaning. 

"No, I just want you to remember why you choose to become a lawyer and the reason why you agree to represent Kang Insung years ago" Kihyun take a sip of his coffee. "If you really believe he is innocent, you should exhaust all defence you can use to defend him"

Joongwon had a flashback on how he first met Insung. A very sweet boy, indeed. Just like what was mentioned in the recording, Joongwon too thought Insung will be released soon due to lack of evidence. Things got twisted in the middle of the trial and the poor boy have to become the victim of the injustice legal system. 

"Just because it doesn't seem to work, doesn't mean it won't" Kihyun try to persuade the lawyer. The fact is Jung Jungwoon is older than him and have been a lawyer longer than he is. He's actually being rude to his senior right now. He wouldn't be surprised if Jung Jungwoon suddenly throws him a can of beer for crossing the line of their junior-senior relationship. 

"It's easier to say than carry out, Yoo Kihyun. Do you aware of how many judicial reviews has succeeded over the years?. Yes, people file it all the time. But, only a few actually won" 

"I don't know that" Kihyun make a mental note to check the statistic later. "I'm not sure if this is going to give you some comforts, I had 8 cases where I file for judicial review. I won 6" he added. 

Jongwoon is speechless. 

"I can be your consultant" Kihyun unconsciously make an offer. 

For the first time, Jung Joongwon suddenly regretted that he drinks too much beer in his life. He admired the young man in front of him very much and his idol is making him a great offer. It will be great to have 'cooperate with Yoo Kihyun' in your firm profile, but he is not in his clear mind to make the decision. What a shame, he thought. He just hopes the offer is still valid when he is sober.