Part 29

DESTINY

Kihyun returns to his firm after his case management this morning. But, he did not go to his office. He goes to the Hoseok office instead. He knocked on the door and ask if it's ok for him to drop by. Hoseok who was typing something on his computer, turn to him and told him to come in. 

"This is your first court appearance after returning to work months ago. How was it?" Hoseok sound like a father who is asking his child about their day at school.

"I feel like I'm a wrecked car" Kihyun replied as he takes a seat. Staring onto the empty space for a moment, looking dazed. "You know, like the car accident on the side road and everyone want to take a peek?. That's how I was feeling this morning. Everyone stop and stare like I'm a wrecked car" he explains. 

"What happened recently is like the sequel of the previous attack and everyone in the court known about your story with your ex. Of course, they are curious how you are holding up after it" 

"Speaking of which, I bumped to Prosecutor Kwak today and he said something that makes me curious" Kihyun put down his bag on the floor. "He said something about Yeojoo suicide might be influenced by Hyungwon. I asked why but he told me to ask you"

Hoseok takes a deep breath as he leans to his chair. "If Hyungwon really did influence her suicide, is he going to charge him?" 

"By the way he talks about it, that's not the case. It's more like he was scared. He keeps telling me to not mess with Hyungwon and be careful around him" Kihyun explains. "Is there anything that I should know?" 

"Nothing much. Except, the part that Hyungwon had a private talk with Yeojoo in the parole officer car" Hoseok answered. "But, before the talk...he was talking to Hyunwoo"

Kihyun takes a deep breath. He had known the psychiatrist for a few years now and he is well aware that there are only two 'things' that will make Hyungwon crossing the line. First, Im Changkyun. Second, Sohn Hyunwoo. Kihyun honestly never understand why Hyungwon is so attached to Changkyun and Hyunwoo instead of his own housemate, Minhyuk, with whom he shares the same space all the time. However, with that being said, it does not mean that Hyungwon does not care about others. He was still ready to fight for them everywhere and every time when they needed him to. But, Changkyun and Hyunwoo are always on the first rank. 

"Honestly, I think it's possible what Prosecutor Kwak said is true. Hyungwon got hit with a vase that night. His focus is a bit impaired and there is a possibility that he lost his self-control. Plus, Hyunwoo was on the edge of breaking and you were on the edge of dying. It's too many things happening at once"

"With what Hyungwon is capable to do, I can understand why you guys think as that" Kihyun said.

"He can make people remember what they forget. That Pandora Box is dangerous. Not many come back from it after going under, some suffered from brain damage. Yet, Hyungwon do it so effortlessly"

"Chae Hyungwon is such one of the kind," Kihyun said, remembering the talk they had in the past in the back of his mind. "When Changkyun and I were on the edge of passing, we dream about our loved one. But, Hyungwon dream about a dog. Not even his. Then, he said he sees a girl. He isn't sure who she is but Changkyun is convinced that's baby Dasom. There is a possibility that Hyungwon is not sure that's her because he has never seen her alive, which make me realize that you have never seen her alive too"

"No offence. But, I heard the story about her in the NICU and kind of relief I wasn't there. You know, I may look like this but I have a very tender heart. I might cry harder than you" Hoseok replied. 

"I know, which is why I find it hard to believe that you actually punch Yeojoo that night" 

"Truthfully, I've been holding back myself since the assault case. On a side note, don't people always said that when we die we will see the best moment of our life" Hoseok commented. 

"I heard that a lot too. If that is true, Hyungwon best moment in life does not even belong to him. It belongs to someone else" Kihyun sound sad. "Did he ever tell you anything about himself?. I mean Hyungwon sleep a lot, that's one of a way to deal with sadness. I'm pretty much sure he has a story about why he wants to spend the rest of his life helping people recover from their psychological wound" 

"We never really have that kind of deep conversation. You know how he is, the moment you try to get serious, he will suddenly throw some random jokes. He's good at changing the topic too. I tried asking Minhyuk and he doesn't know what exactly happening but he is just glad that Hyungwon change for the better now"

"Should I run some background check on him?" Kihyun jokes. 

"If you want to do that, you should have done it 6 years ago" Hoseok replied with a little laugh. 

A knock on the door. 

Both lawyers turn around and Kihyun's secretary is standing there with a face that says 'Sorry for the interruption'. 

"Lawyer Yoo, there is a woman who wants to see you. She did not make any prior appointment and the receptionist wonder if she should let her in or tell her to come back later?" the secretary said politely. 

"Did she say why?" Hoseok is the one who is asking the question. After the kidnapping incident, he becomes more selective about letting Kihyun meeting a client by himself.  Especially, those who have no history with their firm. 

"She said something like only Lawyer Yoo, who can help her because she been to everywhere else and no one takes her seriously" 

Kihyun and Hoseok look at each other for a while.

"Let her in. I will be waiting in consultation room 2" Kihyun replied. "Turn off your protecting mood, please. Yeojoo is dead and this is our firm. I'm safe here" he said to Hoseok as the secretary walks away.

"Scream if you need help" Hoseok replied as he waves to his partner who is walking out of his office. 

Kihyun entered the consultation room. He opens the window shade so Hoseok can see what's happening from his office. After a few minutes of waiting, a woman walks in. Kihyun smiles at her and she smiles back. He invited her to sit which she did and he lost in his own thought on how should he start the conversation. 

"Mr. Yoo" the woman breaks the silence. "My name is Shin Ja Kyung. I come here to ask you for help" she said carefully. 

Kihyun didn't say anything back. He just makes sure he pays enough attention to encourage the woman to continue talking. 

"I had done something gravely wrong 8 years ago and I want to make it right" Ja Kyung voice is filled with remorse. 

"Before you continue, I want to make sure you understand that whatever you are about to tell me is confidential unless it may cause danger to me or someone else. If that happens, I would have to take action to prevent you from doing so" Kihyun isn't even finish talking yet but Ja Kyung is already nodding her head. 

"An innocent man is about to be executed. I want to save him" Ja Kyung voice shakes a little. 

"Are you here for your family member?. Usually, a death row inmate has a lawyer appointed for them" 

"No, Mr. Yoo. I am here for Kang Insung and he is not my family member" Ja Kyung blurts out. "Are you familiar with the missing case of a 16-year-old girl 8 years ago?" 

"Nope, but I've heard about it. I know the nature of the case is a love crime. A teenage crush went wrong" Kihyun is starting to get interested in what the woman is about to say. 

"The missing girl is Joo Nari and her boyfriend who was arrested for her murder is Kang Insung. I know both of them. I was a gardener in their school back then" Ja Kyung starts telling the truth. "A handkerchief with bloodstain was found in Kang Insung, school locker. He was charged with aggravated assault, but they cannot find Joo Nari and there was a reasonable belief that she was dead, and Kang Insung is charged with murder"

"So, I assume you have any information that can help him?" 

"Yes, I do. I know exactly where to find Joo Nari dead body" 

"May I ask how do you know such information?" 

"I was the one who caused her death"

Kihyun is taken aback. He can feel his heart suddenly beating so fast, it's making him uncomfortable. He can see Hoseok worried face through the glass window. He gives his partner a signal that he is ok and sincerely hope Hoseok understand it.

"Joo Nari didn't go missing that night. It was an accident, but I was so scared to come forward. But, for all these 8 years, God never stops punishing me. I want to make amends of my fault before I die" Ja Kyung pull out a document from her bag. She gives it to Kihyun. "This is my medical record and some of my background. I've been going everywhere and everyone said I am not in my right mind because of my health condition. So, read about it first and contact me if you trust me" Ja Kyung stand up and left without waiting for Kihyun replied. 

"Who is she? What's she want?" Hoseok asked. He rushes to the consultation room as soon as the woman left. He has watched the session since the very beginning and Kihyun shocked expression make him worried. 

"She is Shin Ja Kyung, she claims she is the real killer of Joo Nari" Kihyun mindlessly said.

Hoseok froze. His eyes are wide open. This was because 8 years ago, the Joo Nari missing case catches the entire nation's attention. There were so many speculations and theories establish but the case was never properly solved. The public was convinced that Kang Insung arrest has something to do with Joo Nari's powerful background. Joo Nari's father, Joo Hee Sang was a member of the National Policy Committee at that time, who has been retired for almost 5 years now.