Part 14

DESTINY

IN LOVING MEMORY

SOHN DASOM

October 15TH - October 16TH

MEMORIAL SERVICE:

HEAVEN'S COMMUNITY CHURCH

181 ROAD, STREET CITY.

 

Kihyun read the funeral advertisement on his phone. Ever since the advertisement was published three days ago, he keeps receiving incoming texts and calls from his colleague to say their condolences. Kihyun was supposed to get discharged yesterday and attend his daughter's burial today, but he suddenly had heavy bleeding again. So Minhyuk told him to stay in the hospital for a day or two for precaution - considering he had a difficult birth with Dasom's. He is absent from his daughter's memorial and can't make it to his daughter's burial. But it's ok, he told himself. The thought is what matter and no matter wherever his daughter is, Kihyun will always pray for her peace. Furthermore, Kihyun doesn't think he is ready to be bombarded with questions about his unique pregnancy. Thanks to Hoseok who is being a good friend as he always does, the latter have been attending the service and burial on Kihyun's behalf. Now, that Kihyun thinks about it, Hoseok was representing him too during his parents' funeral for the exact same reason. He was hospitalized. 

Baby crying.

"Sang Wook-ah" Kihyun climbs off his hospital bed and walks to his son's crib. The baby crib is purposely placed away from his bed so he can walk a little as a form of light exercise - preventing blood clots as his nurse told him.  "You are upset because I didn't hold you, right?" he said to the crying baby.

Sohn Sang Wook is a very rush name chosen by Hyunwoo. According to him, it will be discrimination if they name their daughter without naming their son first - when their son is the older twin. Kihyun is curious about where the name comes from since it doesn't sound like a common name - and according to Jooheon it was Hyunwoo's first patient name which also means 'one who is always healthy and wealth'. 

After making sure the baby is not crying because of hunger, Kihyun lifted up the baby and walks to the window. "The weather looks nice today," he said to his son. "Do you think Papa is done with your sister yet?" he asked knowing very well he won't receive any answer.

As if that was a queue, Hyunwoo entered the ward. He straight away washes his hand before approaching the duo. 

"How's your bleeding?" Hyunwoo asked as he planted a kiss on Kihyun's cheeks. 

"I still bleed a little" Kihyun answered as he gives Sang Wook to his father. 

"My Sang Wook" Hyunwoo greets the baby cheerfully. "Do you miss me?" he asked as he takes a sit on the rocking chair. "I was busy with your little sister these few days. But, I promise I will hug you often after this"

The baby looks at him with his round eyes in an adorable manner.

"One day, if someone asks you about your sibling, you should proudly tell them that you have a unicorn sister. Some might say that unicorn is wild and dangerous but unicorn also heals sickness. Your sister who is a few hours younger than you help me and my friends cure eight babies a day after she was born. She's amazing, isn't she?"

Kihyun is sitting next to the rocking chair. He listens attentively to what Hyunwoo is saying to their son. Unconsciously playing with Hyunwoo's hair.

"People will tell you that it's not true but it is. She already helps us here. Now, she needs to go somewhere else. I just send her away today"

Sang Wook looks like he is about to cry.

"Shussshh" Hyunwoo cooed at the baby. "I want to bring you today too, but just like your sister, you have your own superpower. She is a unicorn and you are the guardian. While she healed others, you are Mama's guardian. Mama is not feeling well, so you have to take care of him here... and you do well today. Mama is looking a lot better"

Sang Wook looks happy again. 

"Mama has done a lot for us. So, you and I need to treat him with respect, ok? We need to love him wholeheartedly because mama loves for us is always unconditional. Can you do that with me?"

It's purely a coincidence but it's obvious that the baby nods a little, as if he understands everything Hyunwoo is saying. Hyunwoo kisses his son gently. 

"I'm just sitting here, you know?" Kihyun says as he plays with his son's finger. "How was the burial?" 

"A lot of your friends come. Many people asked about you. So, I told them you are still in the hospital and they wish for your fast recovery. Luckily, Hoseok is there to help me" Hyunwoo answered as he starts rocking his son to sleep. "Prosecutor Kwak said he is sorry for being ruthless with you in the trial when you are pregnant. He said if he knows, he would be gentle" 

"He should be. I was so stressed about the case that I go into labour that night" Kihyun laughed. 

Hyunwoo just smiles. The day Kihyun goes into labour is pretty chaotic actually. Hyunwoo has just reached home, falling asleep without even taking a shower in the living room. A few minutes later, Kihyun woke him up and told him that his stomach feels hard. But, he was too tired to understand what Kihyun was saying and go back to sleep. Just to be woken up a moment later by the sound of something dropping and it was Kihyun. The labouring man was trying to reach out for his shoes, but fall down when the contraction hits out of nowhere. If Hyunwoo didn't wake up from the sound, he was pretty sure Kihyun will just driven to the hospital alone that night. 

"How are you holding up?" Hyunwoo asks. 

"You shouldn't be worrying about me. I'm not the one with the attachment issue here" Kihyun answered sarcastically.

"I don't have attachment issues anymore" Hyunwoo replied.

"Oh, right," Kihyun said as he remembered something. He stands up to take his phone and comes back to sit next to Hyunwoo. 

"What?" Hyunwoo asked. 

"Look at this" Kihyun scroll his phone for Hyunwoo as the latter is holding their sleeping son.

It's a comment section on the news articles written about their daughter. The author wrote about a newborn baby girl saving 8 lives by donating her organs and tissue. Even though, there are no personal details disclosed in the article. But, by reading the comments,  it was obvious that most of them were left by the 8 babies' parents. 

Don't you ever think of organ donation as giving up part of yourself to keep a total stranger alive. It's completely opposite, It's really a stranger living to their utmost ability to keep part of you alive. Your sacrifices will be remembered forever, little one.

Thank you for not taking all of you to heaven, baby girl. Your life is short but your generosity stays for a lifetime. 

Not all heroes go to the battlefield. Not all heroes put their life on the line everyday for a complete stranger. Some hero come for a day and protects you for a lifetime.Thank you. 

Organ donation. Life springs from death, sorrow turns to hope and a terrible loss becomes a gift. My deepest condolences to the baby girl's parents, but hopefully knowing your daughter passing bring new lights to others will ease the aches. 

A day old baby saves 8 lives? You are Gods greatest gift to the whole world, little one. May God eases your parents pain as He grace the world with your existence.

You left without seeing anything. However, someone will see the world better because of you now. Rest in peace, baby girl. Your good deed will take care of you in the afterlife. 

These children will never know your name, but you will always be their greatest gift.

Sometimes our existence is merely a piece of the puzzle of someone else's life. You may never know where you will fit but others will fill the holes in their lives with pieces of you. Condolences to the girl family.

I hope in 49 days you will be reincarnated and united with your family. 

"What do you think people will say about us if I carry another baby after 49 days?" Kihyun asked out of curiosity.

Hyunwoo's eyes went wide. He was feeling sentimental and holding back his tears while reading the comments. But, Kihyun's question throws him off guard. He just looks at Kihyun in shock.  

"The confinement day usually last 30 to 40 days. It could happen, you know?" 

"I'm not that desperate" Hyunwoo replied. Almost panicked at Kihyun's behaviour. 

"Relax, I was just joking" Kihyun laughed at Hyunwoo's reaction. 

"You scared me" Hyunwoo exhales a relieved breath. "Some people are super h_rny after birth, you know" Hyunwoo replied as he stands up and put his sleeping son in the cribs.

"How am I supposed to know that? This is my first-time" Kihyun replied casually. Then, he started to frown at the thought and suddenly he looks like he is in pain. "How could that be?" he asked in disbelief.

"Life is mysterious, Kihyun. So, do we. The human" Hyunwoo replied.

Minhyuk, Hoseok and Hyungwon are actually listening to their conversation from the door.

"Is this normal?" Hoseok whisper. 

"Yeah, it's completely normal. Hormones. Some wives ended up s_xual assaulting their husbands after the confinement" Minhyuk replied casually. 

"I mean we just buried their daughter. Is this a normal reaction? Not that" Hoseok seems like he's about to have a headache. 

"It's completely normal, mate. Not all deaths will be grief at, some are the start of something new" Hyungwon answered. 

"Wait, wait, wait. You 'bro' us, but 'mate' him?" Minhyuk is talking about how Hyungwon addresses them. Then, he realizes how inappropriate it sounds. "Sorry, the pun is not intended"

"You know what?" Hyungwon said sounding extremely disturbed. "After a long evaluation, I realize that we are just a group of unfit candidates for Sang Wook's godfather. Hoseok is going to talk about profit all the time. Changkyun is too blunt, and Jooheon is too childish sometimes. I will be busy sleeping and you...you are the worst" he continued. 

"What did I do?" Minhyuk feels like he is falsely accused. 

"If you're the Godfather, Sang Wook-ie will probably have his s_x education the moment he can talk properly" Hyungwon drop the fact. 

"I'm an Obgyn. That's my forte" Minhyuk replied. "Now, excuse me. I have a patient to check" he pushes the two men aside and walks into the ward. Cheerfully greeting the little family. 

Hyungwon and Hoseok just shake their head in disapproval.