Part 8

DESTINY

Kihyun entered the house and stare at the unfamiliar shoes on the rack. 

"Hyunwoo is having a guest?" he asked no one and proceeded to the living room.

There is a mess at the end of the hallway and he can smell fresh paint smell. He decided to check what is happening. Turns out, Hyunwoo and an unknown friend of his are decorating the empty room into a nursery. 

"Kihyun-ah" Hyunwoo greet his housemate when he sees him standing at the door. "It's dusty here, you shouldn't be here" he continued. 

"Hello, Lawyer Yoo. I'm Lee Jooheon, Dr Sohn's friend" the other man said. 

"Just call me Kihyun and nice to meet you" Kihyun greets back. "Why do you let your guest paint with you?" Kihyun is about to nag Hyunwoo's bad manners at his guest. 

"I'm not a guest though. He especially asks me to help me babyproof the house for you" Jooheon explains. 

Kihyun looks around the house and notices stuff that hasn't existed in the house before. "You are an interior designer?"  he asked. 

"Even better. I work with the tiny person so I know exactly what they need"

"He's a paediatrician" Hyunwoo interrupted. Letting Jooheon talk with Kihyun alone will lead the pregnant man to mental confusion. 

Kihyun nod. Finally, understand the term 'tiny person'. 

"He's working in Seattle, coming here as a visiting surgeon. But, everyone knows he chooses to come here for his boyfriend. Since I need an extra hand, I ask him to help me. Sorry for not discussing it with you" Hyunwoo added. 

"Boyfriend?" Kihyun blurts out.

"I am Im Changkyun's boyfriend," Jooheon said proudly.

"I see" Kihyun nodded. "Why don't you just ask me to do this with you? I wouldn't mind helping" Kihyun said to Hyunwoo.

"You are 34 weeks pregnant, I don't think it's a good idea. Even though your bump is small but I am pretty sure the baby is still heavy. Plus, you have a small body frame. It's not good for your back" Hyunwoo explains. 

Kihyun didn't say anything because what Hyunwoo said is true. He's 34 weeks pregnant and still looks like he is in the second trimester, but the baby weight is really taking a toll on his body. The longer his pregnancy progress, the sorer his backaches have become. 

"We are going out to go buy some baby stuff after this" Hyunwoo informed. 

"Why does it sound like 'you should stay home and rest' though?" Kihyun leans to the door looking dissatisfied.

"Because that's exactly what it means" Hyunwoo replied as he stops sweeping and lead Kihyun away from the nursery. "Hoseok told me you have a trial today. You must be tired from all the standing during the proceeding. You shouldn't overwork yourself. It could send you to premature labour" Hyunwoo makes Kihyun sit on the couch in the living room. 

Kihyun sighed, knowing he will never win the argument. "Fine, I stay home" 

Hyunwoo, pat Kihyun's head like he is some 5 years old kid before leaving to continue working in the nursery.

*********************

Kihyun is on his bed, going through his case file for tomorrow's trial when the bell rang. He wonders who it is as he struggles to get off the bed. When he opens the door, Changkyun is standing there with a tired look on his face.

"Let me guess, Hyunwoo told you to watch over me because I'm all alone tonight," Kihyun says as he pulls Changkyun's to enter the house. 

"You are smart" Changkyun casually reply as he throws himself on the couch. 

"I'm Yoo Kihyun. I helped so many innocent people from being sentenced to death and you guys can't even trust me to watch over myself?" Kihyun complained as he takes a bottle of cold water from the fridge for Changkyun. 

"Your..." 

"Your pregnancy is risky and we just want to make sure the baby and you are fine" Kihyun completed Changkyun's sentences as he opens the bottle for the young man. "I heard that thousand times already"

"Well, we don't have to do this if you just tell the baby's father to come forward and take responsibility for his stupidity" Changkyun is well known for his blunt words and Kihyun is already used to that. 

"My baby's father is not stupid" Kihyun replied as he takes a seat next to the grumpy neurosurgeon. "Long day?" he asks as he gives the bottle to Changkyun. 

Changkyun just makes a face as his answer before he drinks. He takes the bottle lid from Kihyun and closes the bottle before he put it on the table. "How is the baby doing today?" he suddenly sounds gentle. 

"Your duality is scaring me. One second you sound like you are ready to fight and next you are all fluffy bunnies" Kihyun commented as he rubs his baby bump. "He throws a tantrum earlier when Hyunwoo told me to stay home while he and Jooheon go shopping. He just calms down like a few minutes before you come"

"Stop being such a papa's boy and listen to your mama. He's been through a lot of things for you" Changkyun whispered to the bump. 

"Kyun..." Kihyun calls the latter gently and Changkyun looks up at him. "Why did you guys do that?" he asked. 

"Do what?" Changkyun is sitting straight again. 

"Teasing Hyunwoo as my baby's father. I know you guys do it because we live together and it makes us look like a couple. I understand that, but you know how Hyunwoo is. If people tell him the same thing many times, he will start to believe that it was the truth. I don't want him to get confused" Kihyun explains. "He already spends money on the baby more than I do" he added. 

Changkyun exhales a heavy breath. Mentally telling himself that whatever happened between Kihyun and Hyunwoo is not his business. 

"What?" Kihyun knows that the reaction from Changkyun means something and he needs to know what it is. 

Changkyun just shakes his head. 

"I always know when my client is hiding something from me. Please be honest"

"I'm not your client and I'm not the right person to talk about this with you" Changkyun try to avoid the conversation so much that he decided to move to another couch away from Kihyun. "...and I don't really feel like I want to be honest right now". 

"Then, to whom should I talk?"

"Hyunwoo" 

Kihyun sighed in frustration. He finally knows what is happening and mentally curses that he should have noticed it earlier. "Since when?" he asked. 

Changkyun didn't answer.

"Changkyun, I'm asking you since when did you guys know that Hyunwoo is the father?" the sternness in Kihyun's voice is obvious.

"Hyungwon know when he talks to you in the post-operative ward. You are still under drug influence, you probably don't remember it. But, we know when you were 14 weeks pregnant"  

"How? I pretty sure Hyunwoo have no recollection of memory from that night" 

"About that, well..." Changkyun move closer to Kihyun. "We have a solution named Chae Hyungwon" he added.

Kihyun didn't say anything. So, does Changkyun. 

"I'm sorry about your sister" Kihyun finally break the silence. He holds Changkyun's hand and squeezes it a little as a gesture of support. 

Changkyun squeezes back as he smiles. "Can I say something?" 

"What?" Kihyun stares at the young man. 

"I know as a lawyer, you are very used to solving problems on your own. But, this 'growing problem' in you is not something you should handle yourself. The baby will be born soon and he will grow up. What are you going to tell him about his father? Are you going to tell him the same lie you tell us that his father is married? Or you are going to tell him that he was conceived by accident, that he was a mistake?" Changkyun notices the changes in Kihyun's facial expression. 

"I wasn't lying when I said the baby's father is married. Hyunwoo is still married to your sister. Yes, she died, but not in his heart" Kihyun take a deep breath to calm himself. 

"His guilty stop him from moving on. What's stopping you?" 

"Actually, I've met your sister. I don't remember much about the cruise but I remember her"

"You simply may have talked to someone with the same name. You don't know what my sister looks like" 

"That night, before the thing between us happened, I saw her picture on his nightstand" Kihyun starts crying again. "I remember she talked to my mother. She was so excited to come home to tell her husband about her pregnancy" his teardrop. 

Changkyun is speechless.

"I'm really sorry" Kihyun can sense that Changkyun is about to lose his temper.

"Is that why you consented?" Changkyun is in disbelief. "Have you lost your mind?" he asked, furious. "Bearing a child for my dead sister is not going to help Hyunwoo in any way! It's obviously not helping you! You are only putting your life at risk!" he stands up in frustration. 

Kihyun knows he made a bad judgement that day. So, he didn't say anything to rebut the young man's words. He cries his heart out instead because no matter what he says, it's not going to fix the situation between them. 

Seeing Kihyun cries like that is making Changkyun have heartache. He calms himself and sits down next to the pregnant man, hugging him tight but carefully. "I'm sorry for yelling" Changkyun whispers. He can feel Kihyun hugging him back. "None of this is your fault. We are the one who walks into your life with our miserable past. You don't deserve any of this. But, you need to talk to us so we can help you. Bottle up things is never a solution. Please, talk to us"

Kihyun can understand Changkyun's frustration. The situation is hard but if he just has the courage to talk about it, it won't be this complicated. He can see that Hyunwoo is ready and very willing to take responsibility for him and their baby, but something deep in Kihyun's heart keeps making him doubt. Honestly, he likes Hyunwoo and befriending his friends. The group of doctors is always making his day better and he doesn't want to lose them.