Part 30

DESTINY

"You are so good and beautiful this morning. Why did you suddenly become like this? Are you ok sky? Did someone piss you off today? Well, I had an uneventful day too" Hyungwon said as he stares blankly into the sky. 

"Are you ok, Hyungwon?" Jooheon asked while looking at his friend worriedly. 

Hyungwon clears his throat. "Nightshift?" he asked instead. 

Jooheon nodded. Still looking worried. "I don't think you can go home tonight," he said.

"Why?" Hyungwon looks extremely confused.

"In fact, you shouldn't even be here. Let's get inside. I heard a spring-storm is heading towards the city on the radio. We are not supposed to be outside right now" Jooheon forcefully drag the psychiatrist inside. 

"Spring-storm? That's rare" Hyungwon is in disbelief. When he sees Minhyuk is still in his working attire, he pouts. "You shouldn't make me wait if you are working overtime" 

"You wouldn't have to wait if you just answer your phone" Minhyuk replied as he crosses his arms in front of him. Enjoying the view of Hyungwon frantically searching for his phone in his bag. "I found this in the washroom" he returns the phone to the rightful owner. 

"God bless you" Hyungwon replied as he checks his phone. 14 missed calls from Minhyuk. "Sorry" 

Minhyuk just sighed. 

"Seriously, you two should consider dating" Jooheon commented. 

"We already are" both answered simultaneously. 

Jooheon is shocked. 

"They've been telling people that these days" Changkyun come out from behind Minhyuk and Jooheon realize for the first time how small his boyfriend is.

"The nurses are debating who is the right person for the handsome Dr. Chae. Is it Dr. Lee Minhyuk or Lawyer Lee Hoseok?"  Minhyuk added. "They also believe that Hyungwon has a thing for the Lee. You should be careful, Dr. Lee Jooheon" 

Jooheon just laughs it off. 

"The only Lee that I will be falling in love with is Lee Kihyun" Hyungwon blurts out as he waves his hand to the lawyer. 

"His name is Yoo Kihyun," Minhyuk said. 

"Yoo Kihyun is Sohn Hyunwoo wife. Lee Kihyun will be my other half" Hyungwon know he is talking nonsense, but he has no intention to explain himself.

"Should I arrange an MRI for you?" Changkyun asked. He may sound like he is joking but he actually means it. 

"MRI?" Kihyun asked, wonder if he is interrupting something.

"For him. He's been talking nonsense this day" Minhyuk said as he points at Hyungwon. 

"Earlier, I found him talking to the sky"  Jooheon added. 

"I talk to pretty much everything. The sky is the last thing you should worry about" Hyungwon replied. "You look disturbed," he said to Kihyun. 

"I am. Do you know why?. When I leave my office, the storm already reaches the city. I lost count of how many road regulations I broke to reach here" Kihyun sighed. 

Minhyuk naturally checking Kihyun's pulse. "You need to sit down. If your heartbeat keeps rising, it won't be good". After Hyungwon cardiac arrest case, Minhyuk has been equipped himself with cardiovascular knowledge. He knows Hyungwon heart condition is fixed and healing very well, but he just can't help but prepare for the worst scenario ever. 

"Thank God, you guys are still here" Hyunwoo shows up out of nowhere. "For surgeons who is not on duty tonight, I gonna need you guys to be on standby. The storm is coming and the ER will be packed. The briefing will be in 5 minutes, in the lobby. I need you guys to be there" he said breathlessly and just left when he is done. Obviously, didn't see his wife. 

"This gonna be like my beyond border programme again" Changkyun sighed. 

"I don't think I want to be a Chief ever" Minhyuk commented. 

"He didn't see you," Jooheon said to Kihyun.  

"It's ok. I always find Hyunwoo at work is hot. Especially, when he wears those glasses" Kihyun replied as he watches Hyunwoo walking away with a smile. 

"You are whipped for your husband," Hyungwon said as he drags Kihyun away from the group. 

"He's my husband. I am supposed to be whipped for him" Kihyun replied. "Where are you taking me?"

"My office. Since we are stuck here, let's spend some quality time together" Hyungwon simply answered. "Don't worry about Sang Wook. The child care facilities open 24 hours" 

It's been like 15 minutes passed since Kihyun have been seated and staring quietly at the psychiatrist quietly. The conversation with Hoseok from this morning come to his mind. 

"If you are sending me a telepathic message, sorry. I don't receive it" Hyungwon suddenly said. He lifted up his head and put away the file that he is reading. 

"I'm gonna be blunt with you" Kihyun lean forward to the table. "Prosecutor Kwak and Hoseok thought you may have influence in Yeojoo suicide" 

Hyungwon leans to his chair, maintaining his poker face. "I am" he simply confessed. 

"What do you say to her?" 

"Nothing much. Just telling her the truth. No one is waiting for her and I told her to stop expecting" Hyungwon replied as he takes his deep breath. "When Changkyun referred you to me years ago, I do research about you. Naturally, I found out stuff about her too"

"So, you do what you do best. You break her mental defence that night?" 

"My real intention is just to make her realize her real circumstances. I've met a lot of people with mental instability. But, Yeojoo is the most broken one among them. She's very afraid of not having someone to depend on in her life. I can understand why she does what she has done to you. Both parents are drug addicts. But, her mom struggles to have a better life when she got pregnant with Yeojoo. Her mom is her whole world. When her mom died, her entire world collapsed and you are the villain in her story. If my whole world is gone, I will go berserk too" 

"I'm well aware of that. In a desperate situation, we tend to do the unexpected. That's why I leave out the r_pe charge. She's miserable out here. She should at least should not be worried about her safety in there" Kihyun sighed. "What's your story?" he blurts out. 

"What story?" Hyungwon pretends like he doesn't understand the question. 

"You know what I mean" the sudden heavy rain outside the window distracts Kihyun a little but he makes sure his focus is back on Hyungwon. 

"Remember my dying dream?" Hyungwon asked and Kihyun nodded. "I was 8 or 9 at that time. The dog belongs to my neighbour, I am passing by him every day. My parents are usually busy with work and it's not an exaggeration if I said my grandmother is the one who raised me. When my grandmother passed away, the dog knows I was sad because no one is waiting for me at home anymore. So, he will come and greets me in front of my house every day. We become friends and one day...I got harassed by the neighbourhood bully. This dog died protecting me. I become depressed, but my parents thought I was just lonely. So, they enrol me in the boarding school instead. Everyone, there is having their own group and I just can't seem to fit in. I was alone most of the time and not having friends become the norm for me. That's why I sleep a lot. Thanks to that, I grow up taller than my friend" he tries to joke. 

A loud explosion sound can be heard. 

Both are shocked by the sound. Hyungwon naturally goes to the window to see what is happening. Kihyun followed a second later. They both froze at the scene before their eyes. 

Earlier...

Hyunwoo and Changkyun with few interns is waiting for the ambulance to arrive with a possible head trauma patient. However, due to the heavy rain, the ambulance is blindsided and almost hit the bus from the opposite direction. The bus avoided the ambulance and hit the road divider, turn upside down multiple times before hitting the lamppost on the side road. Immediately catch on fire despite the heavy rain. Hyunwoo told the intern to retrieve the patient from the ambulance as he heads to the bus. Changkyun following him without hesitation. 

Minhyuk and Jooheon come out of the ER because of the loud crashing sound. They are hesitating a little to help as their expertise field do not usually involve, such a big trauma scale like this. However, when they heard Hyunwoo is screaming for Dr Lee's help, both running without knowing who actually Hyunwoo is calling for.

"She's dead. But, I think this woman is in labour" Hyunwoo told the duo from inside the inverted bus. 

Minhyuk takes a look inside the bus and sees a pregnant woman under the heaps of pulled off chairs. "You can go help others. I got this" he said as he crawls in through the broken window. He checks the woman birth canal and gestures to Jooheon to help him. "Help me to push on her stomach. I can feel the baby head" he instructed the paediatrician as soon as Jooheon entered the bus.

While the duo is struggling to deliver the baby, a team of firefighters and paramedics reached the scene. After checking the perimeter, a man who seems like the captain announces that the accident scene is vulnerable to an explosion as the gas tank is leaking. It's just a matter of time before the bus goes off. 

Following the captain's instruction, all the medical personnel clears the area. Minhyuk and Jooheon manage to come out of the bus with the newborn baby girl too, whom, due to lack of tools, Minhyuk had to cut the umbilical cord with a piece of glass from the broken window. Their main concern now is to make sure the baby gets immediate check-up and treatment before she got an infection. 

The bus exploded.

"No! No!" 

Both Minhyuk and Jooheon turn around to see Changkyun is being held by a firefighter while screaming frantically towards the exploded bus. 

"You go check her" Minhyuk gave the baby to Jooheon as he runs to Changkyun. 

"He's in the bus. Hyunwoo is still there" Changkyun is extremely disoriented. Minhyuk can't differentiate whether Changkyun is crying or is it the rain.

"Get inside!. Get a cover!. The storm is here!" the captain yelled. 

The strong wind starts to blow.