Part 82

DESTINY

Today is the day of Hyunsoo's first birthday celebration. Since Hyunwoo got an emergency call at three in the morning earlier, Hyungwon is assigned to be in charge of Kihyun - while the Lee-Im couple is in charge of the triplet. Hoseok and Minhyuk come early to the event place with the older children for final checking.

Hyungwon knocks on the door. After a few seconds, the door is opened and revealing a sulky-looking Kihyun. "If this is about the wheelchair, I can't do anything about it. My main task is to make sure you are glued to it"

"I can walk around without falling. It's slow, but I don't lose balance often" Kihyun whines a little.

"In your house. Even if you fall, your entire house is baby proof" Hyungwon rebutted. "In that hall, there are many guests who have no idea of your condition. What if they bump into you and your fall? You are still recovering from your miscarriage" he added.

Kihyun just pouted as he let Hyungwon push his wheelchair out of the room. They make a stopped at the living room where Jooheon is playing with the triplet by himself. "Changkyun hasn't come back?" he asked - Changkyun left for the hospital to exchange the car with Hyunwoo since the car seat is attached to Hyunwoo's car. 

Jooheon just shakes his head. "You guys can go first. You must want to see what the kids had prepared, right?"

Kihyun nodded. "No one tells me anything about the preparation. All I know Sang Wook was busy with the door gift"

"Don't worry. You can trust the children. They are good at creative work than any of us" Jooheon replied and Kihyun just smiles at him. "Just go. I can handle these gorgeous babies" he added.

"I never said I am worried. You are a paediatrician. They are much safer with you than me" Kihyun mumbles the last part.

"Your mood swing is quite severe this time" Hyungwon commented because he heard what Kihyun was mumbling about.

"Why do you think they let you be in charge of me?" Kihyun replied - unintentionally sound sarcastic.

Jooheon mouthed good luck to Hyungwon and the latter just shrugged.

Hyunsoo's first birthday celebration will be held at the JJ Group headquarter. It's quite a distance from the Sohn-Yoo couple house but Hyungwon keeps it slow and steady. Kihyun who always has a lot in his mind - is spacing out, looking at the side road.

"What are you thinking about?" Hyungwon asked. 

No answer.

"You are avoiding looking at the road because all these cars remind you of the accident" Hyungwon blurts out and successfully making Kihyun look at him. "Your memories are altered. But, your body remembers. The very first time you understand that your mother is a danger to you. Your body still remember that even though your mind doesn't"

"What are you talking about?"

"Your mother tried to hit you with her car once. Just like in the accident, you duck by hiding underneath the car. Your mother crashed into the gate, making your father thought the accident is because your mother tries to kill herself. That incident is the reason why your father decided to send your mother to a psychiatry ward. She gets better but keeps relapsing. That's the beginning of your self-blaming habit" Hyungwon exhales heavily. "I saw the CCTV footage. I pick up your sensation while watching the footage" he added.

"I really should be thanking Dr. Jee for altering my memory. Without him, I would still remember all those painful memories" Kihyun takes a look at the car in front of them - then he looks to the side road again. "Did you make good with him? In the video, I saw him torturing you... that's tough"

"You saw the video?" Hyungwon is shocked. This is quite news for him. He isn't sure if the others ever told him about the video footage - because if they have, that means he is the one who is forgotten about it.

"When you were taken hostage... you send me a 'message', don't you?" Kihyun asked. "That's why when everyone is giving you the time you need, I was the only one searching for you" he turned to look at Hyungwon again. "You must be waiting for someone to come and save you. I know that feeling very well. It was okay for me because my emotional development is stunted. So, it doesn't really bother me. You are clairsentient. You pick up senses. The fact that you know what exactly he is about to do, must be very scary"

Silence.

"Are you picking up my sensation now?" Kihyun asked after a few moments.

Hyungwon nodded. "You feel guilty for not throwing Sang Wook his first birthday celebration. You don't even throw him a proper 100 days ceremony"

"Do you think Sang Wook is okay with this? He told me he didn't mind, but he could be lying" Kihyun sounded worried.

"He is totally fine, Kihyun. He lost his twin sister a day after he was born. Having his first birth celebration a day before his sister passing anniversary will make him feel worst" Hyungwon answered. "Plus, when Changkyun and I were helping him with the door gift... he said Hyunsoo deserves a grand celebration because Hyunsoo spend his early life away from his family- fighting alone in the NICU to become as strong as he is now"  

"The things between me and Hyunwoo back then have forced him to mature before his time" Kihyun sighed. "Is he okay, Hyungwon? Does he have any suppress emotion towards us?"

"Not for now. He is really proud of his family. Most children are told that being different is okay, but they can't really learn the lesson because they are surrounded by normal people. Sang Wook really learn well because his family is different"

"If one day, Sang Wook changes... do you think I can handle him?"

"He won't change"

"You don't know that. Puberty is tough. A lot of things can go wrong"

"He has me as his uncle, Kihyun. He can't hide anything from me. I am disappointed you think I would let my nephew goes astray" Hyungwon simply answered and it makes Kihyun smile. "Anyway, Jooheon is a ped specialist. He works with minors a lot. The fact that he experiences his children going through puberty right now is an advantage. I believe he can help you. Changkyun too" he added.

"Speaking of which, I haven't seen Harriet or Henry going through mood swings" Kihyun whispered to himself.

"The thing about teenagers is they have a lot of energy. Harriet's energy is used in her cooking and baking class. Henry spends more time at social work and swimming. Changkyun and Jooheon raise them as an individual and not collectively. They attend to their needs differently... which most Asian parents are lacking off. Asian parent tends to raise their children the same way making some need left unfulfilled. When the needs are fulfilled, good behaviour and positive thinking are often the results"

"Changkyun and Jooheon are younger than us. But, they are so good at raising their children. People may think I think too highly about them because they are not taking care of the children since baby... but, Harriet and Henry went through something so horrible for their age. Even adults can get broken over what they went through. However, Jooheon and Changkyun successfully raise these emotionally broken children to become whole again. I want to be at least half as good as them in child-rearing"

"You are good at child-rearing, Kihyun. The triplet watches your sleep for a long time wearing that scary-looking device to track your brain activity. The image could stimulate a negative perception of you. But, that didn't happen. Now that you are awake and using a wheelchair to move around... they are not scared of you at all. I have a patient who was beaten up by her husband. When the bruises healed up, the children are scared of their mother even after the bruises are all gone. Your children are young and they still recognized you no matter what your condition is. That's one true bonding there. You have done an amazing job"

Listening to Hyungwon, makes Kihyun feel proud of himself.  "Promise me one thing?" he asked.

Hyungwon takes a glance at Kihyun, and he instantly knows what the latter is about to say. "I won't leave you again. I promise" he replied. "I want you to promise me one thing too. Don't you ever dying on me again, okay?"

Kihyun smiles even wider before he mouthed "I'll try".

**********************

"This is too much for a first birthday celebration" Kihyun commented when he takes a peek of the hall where the celebration will be held.

"Ever since Hyunwoo give my grandmother a green light to treat your children as her own great-grandchildren, she's been doing her best to fulfilled her role" Hyungwon simply replied. "But, don't worry... except for the hall and the catering.... all of this is prepared by the trio, Harry Wook"

"Who?" Kihyun is confused.

"Harriet, Henry, Sang Wook. Harry Wook. That's going to be their business name. Hoseok said they should run an event planner business" Hyungwon briefly explained. "I think they are in the changing room. Let's go" he pushes Kihyun's wheelchair away from the hall.

When the duo entered the waiting room in the lobby which is temporarily change into a baby's play area, Sang Wook immediately goes to greet his mother.

"Mama just come? Was the ride here okay?" Sang Wook offers his mother a bottle of water.

Kihyun takes the bottle as he thanking his son, but he didn't drink it - he gives Sang Wook a hug instead as he says he's grateful for his hard work. He then thanking Jinwoo and Jinhee too. Both are just smiling widely at him.

"Hello everyone," Jooheon said cheerfully as he entered the room carrying Hyunki and Hyunsik.

A few seconds later, Changkyun shows up while holding Hyunsoo's hand. "He refuses to be carried," he said as he leads Hyunsoo to his mother.

Sang Wook easily carries his little brother and lets him sit on their mother's lap.

Jinhee and Jinwoo each take Hyunki and Hyunsik from their father.

"When is Hyunwoo coming?" Minhyuk asked.

"I am not sure. He was still in surgery when I come to exchange our car. I simply left the car keys in his office" Changkyun answers as he gives a pat on Chessa's cheek.

"Why is the Chief himself is call? Where is the doctor on duty?" Hoseok asked.

"That... I don't know. I didn't ask" Changkyun answered.

As they expected the celebration has to start without Hyunwoo - if they wait any longer, the triplet may miss their napping time and they might get cranky. Hence, on behalf of his brother-in-law, Changkyun takes the initiative to fulfil Hyunwoo's role. He stays by Kihyun's side all the time and greets every guest with Kihyun - including the annoying triplet who is Kihyun's one-year senior in law school.

"I heard you were involved in an accident. Can you walk again?" the oldest sister said as she scans Kihyun from top to bottom.

"I am still recovering" Kihyun simply replied - he has no intention to keep the conversation going.

"You didn't announce your wedding, right? Many of us here are surprised to get this invitation. I heard this is your husband's second marriage. Why does he get a divorce?" the youngest said while looking at Changkyun.

"Your husband looks fine. Why are you hiding him? You fall in love with him when you bail him out from jail?" the second one said.

Prosecutor Kwak who shares the same table with the triplet let out a little laugh.

"What so funny?" the second and the oldest asked simultaneously.

"That's not his husband. That's his husband" Prosecutor Kwak pointing to Hyunwoo's who is approaching his wife.

Hyunwoo ignores the staring eyes as he gives his wife a hug and apologizes for being late. He gently explained that he didn't even go home to change his clothes and come here straight away as he caresses his wife's face.

"It's okay. The Ministry of Health is quite mad that he just know you are a father" Kihyun told his husband. "He gives me a long lecture about how he thinks of you as his own kid which means he should give his blessing to our children" he added.

"Ministry of Health?" the annoying triplet mumbles among themselves.

"Yes, you heard that right" Prosecutor Kwak said. "Let me introduce you to Dr. Sohn Hyunwoo. The youngest Chief of Accident and Emergency in the nation... and this gentleman right here is his brother-in-law from his previous marriage, Dr. Im Changkyun. If you search him up, you can easily find his name among the top neurosurgeon in the country"

Changkyun just smiles awkwardly. He can tell that the prosecutor is pissed with the triplet, but it really not necessary to mention his rank.

Hyunwoo is a little lost with the situation.

"Excuse me," Minhyuk said before he whispered something to Kihyun. The latter whispered back. "I'm sorry. I need to borrow him for a moment" he wheels Kihyun away from the crowd without waiting for anyone reply.

"Isn't that Dr. Lee Minhyuk? You have been trying to book an appointment with him, right?" the second sister said to the oldest one. Her sister has been trying for a second baby for almost five years now, and the trial has not been fruitful.

"I bet you are put on the waiting list because he was busy taking care of Yoo Kihyun. He is Yoo Kihyun's personal doctor from his first pregnancy" Prosecutor Kwak said. "I heard you are worried about your eldest daughter, maybe you should consult Dr. Lee Jooheon over there. He has done a great job with Yoo Kihyun's babies. I heard he was a rising star in peds when he was in Seattle. If you ever need consultation regarding your stress, the tall man over there is Dr. Chae Hyungwon. He is a psychiatrist. They are all Yoo Kihyun's personal doctors" he added.

Changkyun pulls Hyunwoo's away as the older man is getting confused at what is happening. "Apparently... Prosecutor Kwak, Hoseok-ie, and your wife have some unfinished business with the sisters" he briefly said.

"From what I just witness, it seems like Prosecutor Kwak has the most unfinished business with them" Hyunwoo replied - before both of them walking away giggling.

During the doljabi, Kihyun decided to go on stage without his wheelchair. There is a lot of 'jealous' faces that can be seen in the crowd because of how Hyunwoo is so attentive towards Kihyun on the stage. They have been married for years but still look like a newlywed who is celebrating their firstborn when the fact is Hyunsoo is their third - of course, everyone would be jealous of that.

The prop for doljabi is prepared by Sang Wook with the help of his great grandmother Hyejin. There is a lot of things prepared but what catches Kihyun and Hyunwoo's eyes is the gavel and the stethoscope toys. They take a look at Hyejin and the woman smiles widely at them. Next to her is Owen Grey which is quite a surprise that the latter is willing to come. Owen Grey has been avoiding interaction with literally everyone even volunteering to watch over Hyunki and Hyunsik for them. The surprising part is the boys must have been feeling comfortable with Owen Grey that they don't even cry for Hyunsoo when Hyunwoo takes their older brother away earlier.

"You can pick anything you want" Hyunwoo whispered to Hyunsoo.

Hyunsoo looks at his mother then he looks at his father. Then, he takes a looks at the table where his uncles and cousins are sitting. Everyone seems to be rooting for him. Then, he sees his older brother is at the back - almost at the end of the crowd. He signs to him and his brother signing back.

"Do you want your brother up here?" Kihyun asked.

"Nah. Nah. Nah" Hyunsoo seems to keep signing of something.

Kihyun did not know what Hyunsoo want, but his instinct is telling him to re-arrange the prop on the table. As soon as he is done, Hyunsoo picks up a gavel while mumbling 'mama' a few times. Then, Hyunsoo picks up the stethoscope and starts chewing it.

"No. No" Hyunwoo carefully takes out the stethoscope from Hyunsoo's tiny mouth.

The crowd reaction is divided. The legal community is happy with Hyunsoo's choice. While the health care community looks like they are losing a bet or something. There is an obvious tension between the Ministry of Health and the Supreme Court Judge.

"I told you he prefers you more than anything," Hyunwoo said to his wife as he put the stethoscope toy away because Hyunsoo keeps wanting to chew it. "There is a lot of interesting and colourful stuff. But, he chooses the dullest gavel"

"These people are more competitive than us. I bet there is an illegal betting going on here that we don't know" Kihyun said instead - ignoring the fact that his husband just mentioned 'the dullest gravel'.

Hyunwoo just smiles it off.

After sending off the guests, Kihyun takes a break in the waiting room as the others are cleaning the hall. The triplet is taking the nap in the cribs. He cannot help but smile when he remembers that everyone is admiring the door gift. Even though the main star of the day is Sohn Hyunsoo - he finds himself showing off Sohn Sang Wook more. He can't just get enough with his eldest son amazing hard work today. He is swollen with proudness when one of the judges is complimenting Sang Wook for teaching his younger brother sign language. Apparently, the gesture Hyunsoo was doing earlier means 'choose together', and Sang Wook replied with 'no, you choose'. According to the judge, teaching a baby sign language has proven to reduce frustration as it helps them to express themselves. Hyunwoo and Sang Wook come up with the idea to teach the triplet sign language because they don't want the triplet to cry a lot when Kihyun was in his eternal sleep. 

"Am I disturbing?" Hyejin whispered as she takes a seat next to Kihyun.

"No, I was just daydreaming. Everything about today feels like a dream to me" Kihyun answered.

"I just want to give you this" Hyejin gives the lawyer a tumbler.

Kihyun takes it as he asked her what is inside the tumbler.

"A herbal drink. I just heard about your miscarriage. Traditionally, a mother-in-law should be taking care of the daughter-in-law in confinement. I just find out that you and Hyunwoo have no elderly in your family... so I think I should do it. I know Dr Lee has done a great job. But... I also want you to feel how it is like to be taken care in traditional way" Hyejin explained. "If you are uncomfortable... "

Kihyun immediately shakes his head. "I like it. I don't mind at all if it is okay with you, grandmother"

Hyejin just smiles. She has heard about Kihyun's life story from Hyungwon and she is determined to give Kihyun closure of his past. She knows she can't heal Kihyun's emotional scar completely, but she can at least make the scar faded a bit. Furthermore, Yoo Kihyun has been putting his life on the line to save her grandchildren - offering to take care of him would be incomparable to what he has done.