Part 63

DESTINY

"Mother?"

"My Si Woo, where have you been?" Jinyoung goes to her son and bring the four years old boy to sit on the bed. 

"Where are we, mother?"

"Hotel room" Jinyoung answered as she fixes her son's hair. "Remember when you got jealous father take Yeji on a business trip with him? Well, I am making up to that" 

Si Woo looks around him before looking at his mother again. 

"I have to meet a client today and grandmother catches a fever. That's why I bring you with me. Can you play in here while I have the meeting in the living room over there?" Jinyoung pointing to the door. Si Woo nodded at her. "Good boy" she kissed her son on the forehead. "I bring you favourite things in this bag. If you need anything, just look for it in here" 

A knock on the door. 

"I think that's my client. I will come back, ok. Have fun" Jinyoung kissed her son again before leaving to greet the client. 

Si Woo starts rummagging inside the backpack. As he gets lost in his drawing, he heard a weird sound coming from the next room. The curiosity in him peak up so he left the bed and taking a peek from the door. He can see a stranger is pinning her mother on the sofa and the man appear to be hurting his mother, because she makes painful sound every time the man move on top of her. Si Woo wanted to help his mother, however, his eyes meet hers and he can clearly see his mother wants him to stay put. So, he did. He climb the bed and whispered to himself that everything will be ok. 

-----------------

"Mother, I am pregnant" Jinyoung told her mother in law.

"That's a good news" Hyejin hug her daughter in law. "But, why are you looking sad? Are you scared because of what happened when you give birth to Si Woo? Should I book you an appointment with my counsellor?"

"No, mother" Jinyoung starts tearing a little. "This baby isn't Jihoon. Juhyeon...." she burst out crying.  

Hyejin gasped. Cha Juhyeon. She knows that man very well. He is Jinyoung ex-boyfriend before she married to Jihoon. Their relationship was toxic and Hyejin also know that Cha Juhyeon is still trying to get back to Jinyoung. "We should call the police. Jihoon will understand. Even if he doesn't, I will protect you" 

"Our company isn't doing well, mother. Cha Juhyeon offer a lot of money. I hate him, but he is the one who can help us right now. Let's wait until the company is stable again. The panelship agreement is only for one year. I will expose him after that" Jinyoung explained. 

"This isn't the time for you to think about the company. I know you do what you do for Jihoon. But, you can't keep putting Jihoon before you, Jinyoung-ah" Hyejin is mad. 

"Mother, help me. I can't abort this baby. I was told I can't conceive a child after Si Woo. But, I have this little human growing inside me right now. It's a miracle. I can't abort it. Help me" Jinyoung pleaded. 

"Even though, its father took your dignity away from you?" 

"The baby is innocent, mother. I can't... please, help me" 

The four years old Si Woo is actually standing at the door and watches the whole scene plays in front of him. Watching his mother crying on her knee, he thought his grandmother is scolding her, so he decides to walk away. 

"Si Woo, come here. Father and I make something in the yard. You will like it" Yeji said as she grabs her brother's hand and bring him downstairs. 

When they walk out of the house to the backyard, the surrounding suddenly change into white.

"Yeji, where are we?" Si Woo asked as he look around. Yeji is no longer next to him. "Yeji! Sister!" he starts panicking. Loosing his sister mean a disaster,  his father will scold him. He starts searching for her frantically. He sees a door in front of him. When he tries to open it, someone stopped him. He turns around to see who, and to his surprise, Dasom is standing behind him. He is no longer the four years old Si Woo, but a grown up. An adult named Chae Hyungwon. 

"If you walk pass that door, you will never return" 

"What are you talking about?" Hyungwon is confuse.

"Let's go for a walk" Dasom pull Hyungwon gently and starts walking away from that door. 

"What happened to you, Dasom? There is no trace of you on that cruise. You room was destroyed in the blast. They assume you were..." 

"I was alive after the explosion, Hyungwon" Dasom cut him off. "I wasn't in my room. I was on the deck. I was going to my room, but I saw Yoo Kihyun was crying by himself. Thanks to him, I didn't turn into a shredded meat. He was crying because for the first time in his life, his parents hug him when they are  all alone. Like, really hug him. Can you imagine having a child like Yoo Kihyun and not being trully proud of him?" 

"Wait... am I dead?" Hyungwon look around him. Empty. All white. 

"Not yet. You are just lost and I'm sending you home" Dasom answered. 

After a moment of walking, Hyungwon can see a bed covered with a white sheet. On top of it, there is a squirming baby. Hyungwon is amazed at how beautiful the baby is. "Is she yours? Were you really pregnant on the cruise?" 

"No, she is little Dasom" Dasom carefully lifted up the baby and give her to Hyungwon. "It's a false alarm, as usual. I wasn't pregnant" she gently rub her thumb on the baby cheek. "Yoo Kihyun cannot send her daughter away properly. He prays hard for her, to never be lonely no matter where she is. I'm returning the favour. Yoo Kihyun is taking care of my loved one. I should take care of his. Thanks to him, I got to let go of my regret too"

"Regret?" Hyungwon is unconsciously playing with the baby finger. 

"I was gone too quickly, Hyungwon. My sweetheart Changkyun and my lovely Hyunwoo, they don't have time to prepare. My Changkyun wasn't ready to be left alone and my Hyunwoo wasn't expecting to lose me that way. We had plan to have many children together, to give them the family, we wasn't lucky enough to have as a child. My Hyunwoo was forced to stay strong because if he break apart, my sweetheart- Changkyun-ie will break even more. The 49 days... I watched them living in those pains, I regret everything I do. I wish I kept holding on, I wish I withstand the coldness a little bit longer. I wish for a lot of things, Hyungwon. Trust me, you don't want to go through that. You are not suppose to come here just because you are too tired to fight. You are suppose to come here when you are done fighting. Like her" 

When Hyungwon turn to his back, he can see a girl is playing with other children. 

"That's Hillary. Among a lot of people I meet here, she is the only one who has no regret behind her. She just a child, but she protected her sibling as best as she can. When she left, Harriet were ready to live without her and Henry were ready to take her role. Both of them were ready to let her go. She's really the definition rest in peace, you know. I never see her without a smile since she comes here"

"I think you forget about this baby right here" Hyungwon replied. 

"Baby has regret too, Hyungwon. I can feel it through her. She may prevented a lot of heartbreak from happening, but she can't prevent her own. Why do you think she keeps looking after her family?" 

"Sang Wook dream is real?" Hyungwon is surprised. 

Dasom just smiles.  

"Why did you give up?" Hyungwon become curious. 

"The coldness" Dasom smiles a little. "I escaped the explosion without a scratch, Hyungwon. But, the freezing cold makes me give up. I was in a better shape than Yoo Kihyun and I gave up. The more I think about it, the funnier it get. I was fine and I am here. He was injured and he still there. It true that will power defeats all the other power. When I let go, he tries to reach out for me. Such a nice man. I like him. I'm glad Hyunwoo replace me with someone like him. Otherwise, I will feel insulted" Dasom turn to her left and smiles at what she sees. "You are looking for her earlier, right?" 

Hyungwon turn to look too. "Yeji" he breath the name. "Who is that with her?" 

"Your parents. You wish for them to be able to meet, right? Your wish is granted. Word is a powerful thing, Hyungwon. That's why people always said 'be careful of what you wish for'. Speaking of which, we should get going. The door is getting closer"

"If I open the door, I will be dead?" 

"You don't want to open it. Yet" Dasom simply replied as she takes the baby from Hyungwon. 

"My sister brings me here. She brings me here, to be with her" Hyungwon is looking at his family again. "She leads me to the door, but you stopped me. She was going to show me something. I was about to reunited with them again. Why did you stop me?" he starts having a mixed feeling.

"Because you isn't done!" Dasom replied. Her loud voice makes Baby Dasom crying. "I'm so sorry, Som-ie. I didn't mean to startle you" she cooed at the baby. 

"Uncle... can you hear that?"

Hyungwon is a little taken aback when Hillary appears next to him. Holding his hand, gently.

"Listen, uncle. Listen carefully" she said. 

Hyungwon focused. He can hear a sound of a breeze. As he focuses more, the breezing sound change into something else. 

"He comes back once! You were there too!"

"One more shock, you are going to fry his heart"

"Then, cut his chest open! Massage his heart, attach him to a machine or something!"

"I'm sorry. His power of attorney's instruction is not to revive him"

"Well, Minhyuk is not here! I am!" 

"I am here now. Don't let your emotion clouded your judgment, Dr. Im. Stop the chest compression before you break his rib"  

"Even if I go back right now, I will be stuck in my own body" Hyungwon mumbles to himself. 

"Dead is not an escape plan, Hyungwon" Dasom said.

"Tell me first. If I stop, if I quit now... will you be able to tell Chessa the truth? She was playing happily with him yesterday. Can you go back home today and tell her, her Baba is gone? How about Hoseok? Can you tell him when he wakes up later? Can you do that without breaking apart?"  

"It's his wish" 

"I don't care what he wishes for. Once I stop the compression, whatever hope is here will be gone with him. But, you... you will be here. I will be seeing you everyday, Lee Minhyuk. I'm not letting him go until I make sure I won't be seeing you suffering. So, answer me. Can you do that without breaking apart?"

"It's his wish"

Hyungwon stared at Hillary pleading eyes for a moment. Minhyuk tone says a lot more than the answer he mutter, Hyungwon thought.

"Your brothers need you" Dasom said. "Can't you see the frown on your parents face? Only Yeji is the one smiling there. I know what they are feeling. The regret they have for not being able to fix the mess they created. It's a torture, Hyungwon. They can never be at peace if you choose to stay here. Go back"

Hyungwon turn to look at his family again. Dasom is right. Yeji is the only one who looks trully happy. 

"Call it" 

A sharp pain soaring inside him, making he lost his balance. He falls backward. He has no idea where he have fallen to, but it hurts. A lot. Pretty sure he hit something too. Was it the door? Is he really dead now?

Well, one thing for sure... he regrets that he hesitated.