Part 40

DESTINY

"Hey, I haven't seen you around for weeks," Prosecutor Kwak said as he walks to Kihyun who seem occupied with his laptop. "Taking a break after your big winning on that judicial review case?" he casually takes a seat next to Kihyun but maintains a safe distance so people don't speculate the prosecution and the defence is complot something.

"That wasn't my case. I was just helping a friend and I didn't take a leave. I was on medical leave" Kihyun replied without looking at his friend. 

The blinking bracelet on Kihyun's wrist got his attention. "Is that why you are wearing a weird looking bracelet?"

"This is a health monitor. It detects my heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen level, sleeping pattern, mood and many more"

"Wow" Prosecutor Kwak is impressed at how such a small device has such a life-saving function. "What does blinking mean?" he asked.

Kihyun looks at his bracelet and sighed. "Blinking is a warning. My appointment this noon is really freaking me out. It's raising my heartbeat" 

"If blinking means warning, I think you should stop working now. I did attend a CPR class but I have no confidence to perform it" Prosecutor Kwak replied. Suddenly look concerned when Kihyun mentioned 'appointment'. "Is your heart getting worse?" 

"Nope. I'm 30 weeks pregnant. It's my prenatal check-up" Kihyun dropped the news.

"That's a joke, isn't it? My sister in law is 17 weeks pregnant and she looks bigger than you" Prosecutor Kwak observes his friend properly. "Wait, you do look a little chubbier. Only your face though"

"It's a mystery I don't understand either. Except, for the kicking and movement...I don't really feel pregnant" Kihyun said as he proofread his email before sending it out. "I'm actually waiting for Hyungwon. He's giving his statement today. My husband is banning me from driving again when I'm barely looking pregnant" he unintentionally complaint. 

"I think the fact that you look barely pregnant when you are 10 weeks away from giving birth is enough reason to ban you from everything. Don't you suppose to be on maternity leave now? Or is it a paternity leave for you?" Prosecutor Kwak mentally starts wondering when did he become a friend with someone scientifically mysterious like Kihyun. 

"Speaking of which, multiple pregnancies usually don't reach 40 weeks anyway. I give birth to Sang Wook and Dasom at 39 weeks, if I remember that correctly" Kihyun try hard to remember his last pregnancy and childbirth but nothing really come back to him. Except, for the moment when he got to spend time with Dasom in the NICU, everything else is becoming blurry to him. Including the pain, surprisingly.

"You carried another twin? More reason to be on leave then" Prosecutor Kwak lean back to the chair. "What are you nervous about anyway?"

"One of the babies is hidden. Unlike Dasom, who is completely hidden, this time we can hear the heartbeat. I wonder if everything is ok with her or him" Kihyun unconsciously rubs his belly. "I try not to overthink, but still. I can't help but worry if history might repeat itself" he exhales a heavy breath. Mentally telling himself that everything will be fine. 

"Instead of worrying about that, I think you should be worried about if these two is the opposite of Sang Wook. That boy inherits the extremely good gene and trait of you and Hyunwoo. I don't think you guys left any for the incoming children" Prosecutor Kwak is aware his joke is lame, but he is still proud that he manages to make Kihyun laugh. 

 "Guess, we have to wait to find that out" Kihyun replied after he manages to stop himself from laughing. 

"By the way, I should leave before Dr. Chae come," Prosecutor Kwak said as he looks around. 

"The thought that he influenced Yeojoo's suicide still bother you?" Kihyun asked out of curiosity. 

"No, the thought that he can literally look at my soul when he looks at me is what bothering me" Prosecutor Kwak replied. 

"I don't look at people souls, Prosecutor Kwak. I read their body language and facial expression" Hyungwon suddenly interrupted. "...and to give you some comforts. Among many people that I have come across, you are the least that I will be worried about" he smiles. 

"I really have no drama in my life," Prosecutor Kwak said nervously. "Anyway, good luck with your check-up. I should go back to my office now" he picks up his file and left the scene. 

"You said he is the least. Is there a person whom you are worried about the most?" Kihyun asked as he put his laptop in his backpack. 

"These days? It's Jooheon. Most of the time," Hyungwon naturally help Kihyun to carry his stuff. "You go wait at the front gate. I will go take the car" he said before leaving. 

Kihyun frowned at the answer. "It makes sense though. Who else is going to worry about ourselves other than ourselves?" he blurts out.

*****************

"Take a seat. I will tell Hyunwoo that we are here" Hyungwon said as he leads Kihyun to an empty seat next to a pregnant woman who seems to be in the middle of disciplining her son. Hyungwon then walks away to make a phone call to Hyunwoo. 

"Excuse me," the woman said to Kihyun. 

Kihyun turns to look at her. The woman is smiling at him so he smiles back. 

"Isn't your husband a Chief here?" she asked.

"If you are talking about the Chief of Accident and Emergency Department. Do you know him?" Kihyun eyes are however fixed on the son. The boy looks like he is around Sang Wook age and his round big eyes make him look like a cartoon character. Cute, Kihyun thought.

"Yes, I know Dr. Sohn. When my husband got an accident, he operated on him a few years ago. I never forget his face because he was the only one who insisted to proceed with the surgery when the others have given up. I remember his wife too because he introduces me to a lawyer. That's you, right?"

Kihyun still remembers that incident. That day he was coming to see Hyunwoo at his office and he overheard the woman conversation with him. She was worried about how to pay her husband hospital bill because her husband's employer refuses to pay for the insurance claim when the accident is clearly a work-related accident. Since Kihyun happened to have a friend who is an expert in an insurance claim, he brings her to meet him. 

"This hospital is actually a lucky charm to my family" she suddenly confessed. "Both important people in my life are saved here. One is my husband and one is my son" she smiles. "My son was born with a heart tumour in another hospital, but his heart donor was born here. I've been trying to search for her family, but all I find out is she was born with brain damage here and was a hidden twin. It's been years, but I still hope our paths will cross one day. I think it would be nice for the donor family to know how the recipient is doing" 

Kihyun becomes speechless. He doesn't know why, but the moment the woman said brain damage, Dasom comes to his mind. It's like his feeling is telling him that this boy is one of his daughter organ receivers.

"I've seen you on TV before" the boy suddenly said. "You help those innocent people on news" 

"Oh" the woman exclaims. "You are Lawyer Yoo Kihyun?" she suddenly looks like a fangirl meeting her k-pop idol. 

"It's sound pretty obvious I didn't introduce myself when we first met years ago. Am I?" said Kihyun. It's a habit of him to not introduce himself to strangers. It could be because most stranger he meets is his client where his self-introduction is not needed. It's because they know who he is the moment they walk into his firm.  

"It's quite hectic back then. I don't think I introduce myself too. I'm Jennie and my son, Junu is a big fan of yours. Since he's a baby. Every time he heard your voice on the news, he will stay still. So, we even recorded your voice and play it when he throws a tantrum"

Kihyun don't know why, but he suddenly feels like crying when he looks at the boy. 

"Kihyun-ah" Hyunwoo call for his wife from in front of Minhyuk's office door. He waves to Kihyun to come to him. 

"That's my husband. I have to go. Sorry" Kihyun said. Voice shakes a little.

"God bless you, mister," the boy said. 

Kihyun pats the boy's head gently as he smiles. "God bless you too" he replied before making his way to his husband. 

Hyunwoo notices the tears in his wife's eyes but he says nothing about it. "Let's go in," he said as he takes a quick look at the woman and her son. 

"How are you feeling today?" Minhyuk asked as soon as Hyunwoo and Kihyun walk in. "Did you make him cry?" he sounds ready to give Hyunwoo a good scolding.

"No," Kihyun said as he takes a seat on the chair. "I think, I just meet one of the babies..." he exhales a heavy breath. "It's probably just my hormone" he changes his answer. 

"Ok" Minhyuk exchange a quick look with Hyunwoo before he starts taking Kihyun's blood pressure reading. "Blood pressure is normal, though I can see you are very nervous" he commented as he wrote something on Kihyun's appointment book. "Let's see if you gain the weight you need," he said while helping Kihyun's to stand up on the weight scale. 

"8kg" Kihyun sound surprise. He looks at his body. Except, for his tiny baby bump, there are no significant changes in his body. "Where does the weight gain go?" he mumbles as he steps down from the scale.

"Sit on the bed" Minhyuk ordered as he prepares the ultrasound machine. 

Hyunwoo quietly helps Kihyun to get on the bed. "Are you nervous?" he reaches out to hold his wife's hand. "It will be ok. We are going to be just fine" he said calmly. In fact, he was actually nervous himself. Kihyun just nods at him with a little smile on his face. 

"Lay down please," Minhyuk said as he squeezes a gel on the scanning tool. He moves it around Kihyun's expose belly as soon as the latter lay down comfortably on the bed. He stopped moving and enhance the picture quality. He turns the monitor so the parents can see it while smiling widely. 

"Is that..." Kihyun squinted his eyes on the screen to look properly. "It's the second baby, is it?" he asked in disbelief. 

"The second baby is no longer hidden," Minhyuk said excitedly as he turns up the sound.

"Two distinct heartbeats," Hyunwoo said before he kisses Kihyun's on the top of his head out of happiness. 

"...and both are around 16 inches long and almost three-pound weights. The head is down. You are in ideal condition for 30 weeks pregnant, everything is normal and up to standard" Minhyuk added. 

"Two babies?" Kihyun is still in disbelief even after seeing it himself. 

"The babies are still shy to show us their gender, but yes...there are two healthy babies," Minhyuk said as he smiles gently at his friend. Honestly, ever since they detected the hidden twins, Minhyuk too was having a sleepless night. He spends his free time doing a revision of Kihyun's previous pregnancy as he wishes to avoid repeating the same thing from happening again. "I told you it's going to be different this time, didn't I?" he wipes the tears that fall to Kihyun's cheek.   

"It's actually a twin. We are going to have a twin, again" Kihyun said as he pulls Hyunwoo into a hug. Two babies on the screen and two distinct heartbeats. Kihyun can't help but burst into tears. It's his happy tears, though. After weeks of worrying, finally, there is an actual sign that his pregnancy this time will be different.

"I know" Hyunwoo too is all teary as he hugs his wife gently. "We have a lot to prepare for the nursery," he said as he let go of Kihyun. Wiping Kihyun's tears with his thumb as he smiles. He then waits patiently for his wife to calm down. 

Watching both of his friends getting a huge relief just from seeing two babies on the monitor instead of one, Minhyuk can't help but get a little emotional too. Dasom may have gone too soon, but her existence touched so many lives in that short period of time.