Part 75

DESTINY

"I will wash the dishes, Sang Wook-ah. You should go and give your mother company," Jinhee said to the boy. "Dada said your mother is reacting to everything around him even though he is sleeping. I bet your mother is worried that Uncle Hyungwon passed out in his room today."

"But, you probably have tons of homework like Henry," Sang Wook replied.

"I've done half in the afternoon. Don't worry. Just go," Jinhee pushed Sang Wook out of the kitchen. Then, she casually takes Sang Wook's place next to her Uncle Hoseok, who is quietly washing the dishes from their dinner. "Sang Wook-ie is a very strong boy, right? He has seen his mother and father get hurt so many times, but he still smiles so brightly" she takes a peek at her uncle's face when he didn't say anything. "Uncle Seok-ie, what are you thinking?"

"Sorry," Hoseok is finally looking at Jinhee. "Were you saying something?"

"What are you thinking? Is something wrong with Uncle Hyungwon again?"

"No. No. No. Your Uncle Hyungwon is fine. We just need to be careful because sometimes, organ rejection can happen much later. That's what your Uncle Sunho said. But, Uncle Hyungwon is fine so far," Hoseok clears his throat. "I was just thinking about something your Uncle Hyungwon said in the hospital. He said something like he has known your Dada and Uncle Kihyun since a long time ago."

"That's impossible," Jinhee simply replied. "At the Hope Foundation, there is one staff told me that Dada is actually one of the many children the foundation has helped. It's not like he had been sold to a slave farm like us or anything worst, but they help him to change his name and give him a new life. If Dada starts afresh, it’s quite impossible for them to know each other unless they know each other before starting afresh because starting afresh means a new identity, a new life, also means a new place," she explained.

"Really? Then Uncle Hyungwon is right. The Daniel Lim is not just an alias," Hoseok said.

"I don't know what is Dada's name before he uses his current name, but on a serious note... did Uncle Hyungwon ever wrong? Uncle Hyungwon and Sang Wook, are the type of people we need to be careful about. Especially when they said something."

"What do you mean?" Hoseok frowned.

"Uncle Seok-ie, I've been reading a lot these days. About Uncle Won-ie. I think Uncle Won-ie is not the only special one in the family. I think Sang Wook is special too" Jinhee turn to the door to make sure the boy is not around, "I mean... Sang Wook keeps having these dreams about Dasom-ie and whatever Dasom-ie is telling him to come true. What if that is not a dream but a vision? I read this article, a very long one about clairvoyance. It's an ability to clearly see. One of the significant traits is the frequency of having a vivid dreams. Sang Wook said he tends to daydream these days, and sometimes he feels like his subconscious mind takes over while he was daydreaming," she whispered. "This morning, I bumped into him before we are going to school. He tells me that Dasom-ie said his mother would wake up soon. Today, Uncle Won-ie suddenly pay a visit. Uncle Won-ie doesn't even leave his own room, but today he comes here and even visits his uncle in prison," she added.

Hoseok becomes lost in his thought.

*******************************

"Mama, should I read the news today for you?" Sang Wook asked as he is clicking on the browser on his mother's laptop. He frowned a little whoever used his mother's laptop before obviously forget to close the tab. "Did Papa use this before? We can still search for something that happened years ago. Technology is awesome," he mumbles to himself. "Lee Myunghee gives birth to a son. An abnormality detected," he read the titles.

Out of curiosity, Sang Wook ended up searching for 'Lee Myunghee' instead of reading his mother the news like he always does every night.

"So, this woman name Lee Myunghee is a scientist. She got married to Im Changsub, who is also a scientist. They have a son whose name is not revealed, but he suffered from a nervous system abnormality causing him unable to feel pain or emotion. Lee Myunghee passed away in a tragic accident, and not long after that, Im Changsub re-married. He got married to Lee Myunghee's best friend, who works as a therapist. Two months after the marriage, the couple got into an accident and passed away spot-leaving a daughter and a son" Sang Wook summarize what he just has read. "Something fishy about this," he mumbles. "Why is Papa searching about this? Is this about Papa?" he shakes his head. "Papa has no sibling," then something clicked in his mind, "Uncle Yun-ie. Im Changsub. Im Changkyun. This must be about Uncle Yun-ie. A daughter that must be referring to Mommy Dasom," he gasped, "Uncle Hyungwon come here today. He must be the one searching about this" he clicked on the search history and then paused. "This is not nice," he turns around to look at his sleeping mother, "Mama said, never doubted your first instinct. Okay. My first instinct is telling me to check it out," he turns to the laptop screen again. He clicked on every recent history and read every article briefly. "Wait a minute. This is confusing. Reporters back then don't disclose names at all. Today, even the person's picture is published," he sounds frustrated. "I am curious about these three children found in the gas leak incident," he added.

The monitor is beeping.

Sang Wook turns to check it. The line is very close to each other. He remembers his Uncle Changkyun saying that means there is an active process occurring in the brain. "Mama must be dreaming again. I wonder what kind of dream does..." he paused again in disbelief at what he is seeing. "Mama," he called as he comes closer to his mother, who was lying on the bed unresponsive with his eyes open. He remembers all the scenes on the television series where the doctor always moves their finger in front of the patient to check whether the patient is alert or not. He copies those scenes and is quietly disappointed that his mother did not respond to his finger movement. "Is this a comatose sleepwalking version?" he asked to no one then shakes his head vigorously. "Mama is not in a comatose state, Sang Wook-ah. What nonsense you are talking about?" he reprimanded himself.

Sang Wook sits properly next to his mother. Gently patting his mother's forehead. "Whatever you are dreaming, Mama... I wish they are a good dream," he whispered, looking straight at his mother's eyes.

 

    "Why are you helping me?"

    "Because you need help."

    "Are you stalking me?"

    "No, just happened to be there?"

    "Who are you?"

    "Sohn Hyunwoo. You?"

    "Yoo Kihyun. Let's not meet again."

    "That's not up to you."

    "What do you mean?"

    "Destiny. Life has its own mysterious way of connecting and disconnecting people. We don't make that choice."

    "I don't know you. But I don't want to see you again."

    "I can't promise. But, okay."

 

"Sang Wook-ah"

Sang Wook comes back to reality and sees Jinhee's face inches away from him.

"You are daydreaming again, don't you?" Jinhee asked.

"I think you are right, Harriet. Something is not normal about me," Sang Wook replied, confused at what is happening.

"What do you see this time?" Jinhee asked.

"A younger version of Mama and Papa," Sang Wook answered as he looked at his mother, the eyes is still open. He cupped his mother's face gently, "I think Mama is dreaming about his past. I think Mama has met with Papa before."

"Really?" Jinhee did not know how to react to that.

"Prosecutor Kwak said Dr Jee told him Mama is like a lagged computer. Too many tabs open, causing the browser to be overloaded. We need to close the tab. Mama is going through too many flashbacks at once. We need to stop that," Sang Wook said.

"How are we gonna do that?" Jinhee is starting to worry about how Sang Wook is behaving.

"Uncle Yun-ie said Mama is aware of his surroundings even though he is sleeping. The line on the monitor changes every time we touch Mama. Maybe...."

Hyunsik's voice of crying can be heard from the living room.

"That's it," Sang Wook runs out of the room and goes to the living room. His Uncle Hoseok is holding the crying Hyunsik in his arms, and the almost crying Hyunsoo in his other arms.

"The two of them fighting over a plushie. Hyunki didn't bully them this time," Jinwoo explained as he is holding Hyunki in his arms, worried the baby will be blamed for his brother's crying.

"Uncle brings them to Mama," Sang Wook said as he pulls his Uncle Hoseok to come with him.

Jinhee comes out of the room and straight away goes to Chessa, who looks confused at what is happening.

"What happened?" Jinwoo asked.

"I don't know. But, I walked into that room, and Uncle Kihyun's eyes are open. Sang Wook was daydreaming," Jinhee explained.

"Shouldn't we call Dada?" Jinwoo is worried.

"Sang Wook said he sees his parent's younger version," Jinhee replied instead.

"Harriet, I told you to stop reading those articles. Sang Wook may look like he is daydreaming, but what if it is onset epilepsy?" Jinwoo replied. "I mean, his twin sister died from brain defects. He could be having some undiagnosed brain condition, too," he added.

"Dada is at Uncle Hyungwon's house," Jinhee replied. "I don't think we should bother him."

"Then, should we call the hospital? Asking for an ambulance?" Jinwoo sounds confused.

Sang Wook suddenly shows up in the living room. He took Hyunki from Jinwoo and left without a word.

"What is happening?" Chessa asked.

"I don't know. Should we go check?" Jinhee asked, and Chessa nodded.

"Come here," Jinwoo carried Chessa before he follows closely behind Jinhee - to their Uncle Kihyun's room.

The first thing they see is their Uncle Hoseok crying beside the bed, and his head is buried on the bed. The triplets snuggle into their mother's body. Sang Wook's sitting position prevents them from seeing what is happening to their Uncle Kihyun.

Jinwoo signals for Jinhee to check because in case if something unexpected is happening, he does not want Chessa to see it.

Jinhee takes a careful step towards the bed and is shocked. Her reaction makes Jinwoo comes to him instantly.

"Wait..." Jinwoo cannot believe his eyes.

"Mama Yoo!" Chessa said excitedly and got off Jinwoo's hold - she straight away goes to her daddy. "Daddy, Mama Yoo is awake," she said.

Hoseok lifted up his head and held his daughter tightly. "I know. I can see," he said while looking at his friend who is looking very weak, but alert.

"This is good. This is great" Jinhee gets on the bed, unconsciously starting massaging her Uncle Kihyun's leg.

"What happened?" Jinwoo is still processing the scene.

"I just let both Hyunsoo and Hyunsik cry. Guess the crying got Mama's attention, and Mama opens his eyes. Then, I bring Hyunki here... miraculously, Mama becomes alert," Sang Wook answered.

"They are your mother, Ctrl+Alt+Del button," Jinhee replied, making her brother become more confused.

"Yes! Now, I know why God gives me three brothers. Thank you, God!" Sang Wook replied excitedly. "I love them so much," he kissed his little brothers one by one. "I love you too, mama," he kissed his mother on the forehead before giving his mother an Eskimo kiss. "Papa?" he notices his mother is mouthing something. "Papa is at work. He will come home soon," he simply replied when his mother barely nodded.

Hoseok is actually very confused by Jinhee and Sang Wook's conversation. But what really gets his attention is what Sang Wook had said. Changkyun is right. Though Sang Wook is just a young child, and his faith had been tested countless times, the boy's faith did not quiver at all.