Part 35

DESTINY

When Hyunwoo said he wants to hang out with his son, he was talking about doing something fun together which is the reason why he let his son make the decision. However, for some unknown reason, Sang Wook chooses to go to the traditional market with him. Without asking why Hyunwoo just agree to it. Luckily, there are not many people in the market at this hour. Otherwise, it will be hard for him to move around in a crowded place with his recovering injuries. Hyunwoo can't help but feel a sense of embarrassment coming to him as Sang Wook explains the market layout to him. It's obvious that his son is more familiar with the traditional market than himself who is a full-grown adult. He makes a promise to himself mentally that he will help Kihyun with grocery shopping more often in the future.

"Grandmother" Sang Wook suddenly let go of his hand and run to a stall that sells spicy rice cake. 

"Our Sang Wook-ie come today" 

The grandmother hugs Sang Wook briefly before giving him a bottle of yoghurt. Hyunwoo can see the woman adore Sang Wook very much. 

"You come with your father today. No wonder you are so good looking. You inherited it from your parents" 

Hyunwoo awkwardly smiles at the woman. 

"Grandma, I want to make something healthy for mama and papa" 

"Should I write a healthy recipe for you?. I know your mother like chicken. So, how about a ginseng chicken soup?. It's good for the immune system" 

"Yes, please. Thank you, grandma" Sang Wook open the yoghurt bottle by himself and drink it as he waits for the grandmother to jot down the recipe. 

For some reason, during their grocery shopping, Hyunwoo feels like he is out with his wife instead of his son. Sang Wook knows exactly which alley, he needs to go to buy the ingredient written down on the piece of paper. Sang Wook even asks about how to pick the fresh and good quality ingredient instead of randomly buying it. Some people who do not know their story may have the thought that Kihyun is not the biological mother of Sang Wook since not many people know that Kihyun is an interse-x with the ability to conceive and giving birth. But, this just proves them wrong. This meticulous attitude of Sang Wook is obviously coming from his wife. 

After the grocery shopping, they straight away go home by taxi. The taxi driver is very nice to help them carry their groceries inside. Hyunwoo wanted to pay him more as gratitude for his courtesy, but the driver refuses to accept it. So, Sang Wook offers iced water to the driver which he gladly drinks it before leaving. 

"Do you know how to cook?" Hyunwoo asking while he helps his son to wash the chicken.

"I watched mama cook all the time. I know how to turn off and turn on the stove. We can just follow grandmother's instructions to cook" Sang Wook answered confidently. 

"You are better than me. All I know is to heat up my food in the microwave" Hyunwoo replied. The best dish he can make is an instant noodle. "Do you like cooking?" he asked, trying to get to know his son better. 

"Not really. But, I often help mama cooking. It was fun. So, I want to do it with papa too" 

Hyunwoo just smiles and is suddenly lost in his deep thought. The excitement in Sang Wook voice is obvious. It makes him realize that he never actually does activities with his son before. Except, for book reading and colouring. Spending the day with his son alone today, making him realize that Sang Wook is such a considerate person. High likely he choose book reading and colouring often are because he knows Hyunwoo is already tired from working all day long because reading and colouring is not an exhaustive activity. A part of Hyunwoo is proud to have such an understanding son like Sang Wook. But, a part of him feels a little sad because Sang Wook is such a young child and already accommodate his need according to his parents' availability.

"Are you alone?"

Changkyun who suddenly shows up out of nowhere makes Kihyun jump out of surprise. He almost hit the Neuro out of shock from the sudden whispering and luckily Changkyun is fast to defend himself. Everyone in the pharmacy section is looking at them with curious eyes.

"I'm so sorry. This is my brother" Kihyun bow down to apologize to people around them. Changkyun naturally follows what he did. "Are you trying to give me a heart attack?" he scolded the Neuro after making sure everyone is back to their own business. 

Changkyun miraculously reminded of Kihyun sensitive heart condition. Immediately regret his action and reach out to check the lawyer pulse and Kihyun brushed him off.

"Are you alone?" Kihyun is the one who asked this time. 

"Yeah, I come to buy some baby stuff for Chessa" Changkyun answered as he tried to check Kihyun pulse again. This time Kihyun did not brush him off. It's normal, he let out a relieved breath. 

"Chessa?" 

"The baby Jooheon and Minhyuk save in the bus accident, during the storm. Minhyuk is the one who names her Chessa. It means, at peace. Both Jooheon and Minhyuk are in the hospital with Chessa right now"

"They really get attached to the baby. I'm worried they will get hurts once the girl next of kin is found" Kihyun commented. 

"You can stop worrying about that. There is no living next of kin found. The welfare department will put her in foster care soon. I have a feeling that both Jooheon and Minhyuk are thinking about taking her in" Changkyun said casually. 

"You are ok with the idea?" 

"I really don't mind. It's not like we are getting younger. Jooheon is old enough to make his own decision. I just hope they don't fight over the baby though, because I'm pretty sure the law won't allow two men adopting a baby together" 

"Even if the law allows, Jooheon should be adopting with you, not Minhyuk" Kihyun can sense that Changkyun is still sleep deprived but the symptoms are not as bad as yesterday. Yesterday, the Neuro was looking high. Today, the Neuro is looking exhausted. A much better version of sleep deprivation symptoms, he thought. 

"I already have mine" Changkyun blurts out and Kihyun look at him frowning. "You must have not heard it yet"

"Hear what?"

"I'm adopting both Henry and Harriet. Their parents are arrested for money laundering and seeking political favour. It nullified their foster right over both of them. The Hope Foundation calls me, asking if I'm interested to adopt them. Of course, I said yes"

"Wow, I missed a lot of things" Kihyun is surprised to hear that. 

"Well, you have a tendency to focus on one thing at times. It's understandable considering your husband almost got exploded" Changkyun replied. "By the way, I overheard yesterday. What you gonna do about it?"

"Shin Ja Kyung?" Kihyun asked and the Neuro nodded at him. "Nothing. I just come back from meeting Kang Insung counsel. I gave him a plan. It depends on him whether he wants to execute it or not" he exhales a heavy breath. "Put that aside, congratulation on becoming a father. When will the official decision come out?" 

"Early next month. They are staying at the Hope facilities for now" Changkyun look around and casually goes, "Are you pregnant?. I mean.." pointing at the pregnancy test on the display around them. 

"No. I'm actually passing by" Kihyun denied immediately. "I was looking for something for Hyunwoo. Since you are a doctor, can you help me find some supplement or vitamin that can increase appetite?. He's losing weight from not eating and I don't like it"

Changkyun makes his way to the nutrition section. 'Try this. It's not a meal replacement, just some nutrition drink. It's good to replace the nutrition he lost while his body is recovering from the blast impact. The appetite loss is probably caused due to body stress. It will go soon. Hopefully" 

Kihyun takes the box and reads the label carefully. 

"Now, how about you helping me with baby Chessa stuff?" 

For the first time, Kihyun saw the infamous puppy eyes of Changkyun that everybody is talking about all these years. 

******************************

"You guys order a take out?" Kihyun asks as he looks at the dishes on the dining table in disbelief. 

"Most of the side dishes are prepared by you. We just heat it up. The soup is made by our son" Hyunwoo briefly explains. As if it was a queue, Sang Wook shows up at the dining table after changing his clothes. 

"Let me" Kihyun immediately stop Hyunwoo when he sees his husband is about to lift their son onto the chair. 

"It's ok, mama. I can do this myself" Sang Wook climb the chair easily. 

"How was your day?" Kihyun asked while he scoops the soup into a bowl for his husband. Then, do the same for his son.

"I go to the traditional market with papa. It feels different to when I go with you, mama. With mama, the market feels like a dangerous place to be. With papa, it doesn't feel that dangerous at all"

Kihyun knows exactly why though. It's because he keeps telling Sang Wook to be careful of the slippery floor, the people passing by, and a few other stuff that he himself can't remember now. Of course, Sang Wook will have the impression that a market is a dangerous place. Hyunwoo is completely the opposite of him. He dares to bet on his life that his husband lets Sang Wook do whatever he wants in the market.

"You should let him explore in order to learn better," Hyunwoo said to his wife as he takes the bowl of soup from him. 

"Blame it on my maternal instinct" Kihyun simply replied. 

Sang Wook whispers a tiny 'thank you' to his mother for the bowl of soup. 

"Careful, it's hot," Kihyun said. Obviously, did not hear the 'thank you' from his son. 

Sang Wook watches his parents take the first bite nervously.  

"You buy this, didn't you?" Kihyun is teasing his son. The soup is a little bland for adult taste preference but it doesn't taste like it has been prepared by a kindergarten student either. 

"I can confirm that he is not," Hyunwoo said. Giving a thumb up to his son. 

Sang Wook smiles proudly before taking his first bite. It's been a while since he had a proper meal with both of his parents. Today is simply the happiest day in his life. He got to hang out with his father, prepare a dish that got approval from both of his parents and get to have dinner with them. He suddenly remembers the homework that he needs to submit on Monday. His teacher asked him and his friend to write about their favourite moment. He eats his dinner happily knowing that he already has an idea of what to write.