-16-

Earning Your Wings

 

Eunmi was in her room, dressed in a long red lace evening gown with an open slit in the front and a train and her back was exposed with a sheer material.

As she was putting her earrings in to complete the outfit,Guan Lin was on her bed, petting Duke as he watched his sister, “did they not have enough cloth? Your entire back is exposed!”

Rolling her eyes at the younger boy, “ there’s sheer on it"

“You almost look Jie!"

“Whatever Lin. where are my shoes?”

Guan Lin perked up and walked away for a couple of seconds, only to reenter with a pair of gold pumps.

He kneeled down as Eunmi sat on the edge of her bed.

Gently he took each foot and placed the shoes on her.

Standing up, he smiled at her and hugged her, “although the circumstances weren’t the best. Thanks for coming back Jie..and congratulations.

Eunmi smiled at Guan Lin as she fixed his black shirt.

He was dressed to match her, in a glamorous red suit with a black collared shirt on the inside.

They were dressed in the traditional Lai Empire colors, Red, black and gold.

As they walked out the room, Mark was waiting for them.

Guan Lin up to the latter first and bro hugged him before patting his shoulder, “I leave her to you hyung. Jie I’ll go first” he kissed her cheek and zoomed away with the blink of an eye.

Mark smiled at the girl and kissed her cheek, “You look beautiful, as always Mi”

Shaking her head playfully the girl latched on to his arm as they walked to his Bugatti.


 

 

To say heads turned was an understatement.

Everyone paused what they were doing and gazed at the couple that arrived.

Mark and Eunmi were in their own world, discussing something funny as they both were lightly chuckling.

Taeyong looked at the girl longingly while Kyungri just chugged her glass of champagne in her hand and snatched another.

The couple made their way to their friends who smiled and hugged the girl, congratulating her.

Before Taeyong could reach them he was whisked away by one of his investors so he was only allowed to look at them from afar with Kyungri at his right, clinging onto his arm, only smiling and nodding at whatever was being said.

 

 

Eunmi took a brief look over at the room.

It was full of investors and board members as well as the elites of society.

They were all dressed elegantly and they were all there to “celebrate” her.

After greeting the board, she was escorted to the podium where she would be announced by her secretary.

“Everyone, if you may please look to the stage. We would like to welcome the new president of Lai Empires, Lai Eunmi.”

The girl smiled as she was in front of everyone’s eyes, a glass of champagne in her hand.

Ever so eloquently she spoke, “thank you for gathering at this gala tonight. I’m sure you were all busy and stacked with plans. I also thank you for welcoming me warmly as the new president and I will work hard to exceed my father and his father before him. Please look after me and I hope to speak with all of you soon. Thank you”

Guan Lin, along with their friends lifted their glasses up in response.

Johnny spoke up, “here’s to the new head of an empire”

With that everyone proceeded to do the same and toasted to the girl.

She walked down to where Mark was and released her tensed smile, “that.. Was terrifying.

Mark smiled at her as he placed his hand on her back, “you did great Mi”

“But did you see their beady little judgemental eyes?”

He kissed her hair as he consoled her, “they’re only looking with envy”

“I guess.. I’ll be back Tuan.. bathroom

With that she excused herself from her friends to go to the bathroom.

 

 

As she was in the stalls she heard an all too familiar voice, “ I can’t believe that little plastic barbie owns an empire. At first I thought she was just some pilot friend of Taeyongs but to think she actually was born with a golden spoon. What a spoiled brat.”

Eunmi’s brows twitched as she heard Kyungri speak on the phone with someone.

“Oppa. can’t you do something? She’s ruining things”

Eunmi bit her lip as she whispered to herself, “who in the world is she talking to?”

“She gets in the way with the Lee Heir and I need this to end in marriage! No! she’s like some stuck up chaebol. She was basically handed everything! She’s so annoying!”

Just before Eunmi could confront the girl, Kyungri walked outside, back to her facade.

Eunmi bit her lip as she left to find her friends.


 

Mark noticed the wrinkles between her brows as she reached her friends with a pensive smile so he took her to the side and looked at the girl, “What happened in that short amount of time? You look...conflicted…”

Sighing Eunmi lightly placed her forehead on his chest,

trying to calm herself down.."I-I’m just peeved..there are too many snakes around..”

Mark raised a brow at her metaphor before glancing around the room.


 

Taeyong looked up as Kyungri rejoined him and his friends.

Moments later Eunmi joined them with a complicated look that not only he noticed.

Before he could reach out to the girl, Mark was already one step ahead of him.

He looked away as he saw Eunmi place her forehead on his chest.

Something about seeing the two of them together made him uncomfortable so he just chugged his flute of champagne before getting another.

Lisa and Johnny looked at each other with smirks before going back to chatting with their friends.