-10-

Earning Your Wings

 

Taeyong was sitting at his desk as his secretary gave him a stack of papers to review. He couldn’t concentrate as he was staring at the photo on his desk and the invitation in his hand for Eunmi’s "debut."   

The photo on the desk was when Eunmi and him went to Jeju in celebration of her getting her pilot’s license, she was laughing carelessly as Taeyong had his arm around her shoulder laughing at her. Guan Lin had been the one to take the photo of them.

Looking back, a small smile was etched on his face as he caressed the photo with his thumb. It was easier back then..but why?

"Mi..what’s happening to us?"

 

******************************************************************

 

3AM.

Phones buzzing.

Panic ensued.

Eunmi and Guan Lin rushed to the hospital when their landline rang abruptly, interrupting their sleep.

 

Once they got to the hospital, clad in their sleeping clothes, they rushed to the bleeping red light and was greeted by the head surgeon who had a contemplated look on his face, "young Mister and Miss Lai. We’ll do everything we can but..you should prepare for the worst."

Guan Lin couldn’t hold the tears as he crumbled in front of his sister, while Eunmi embraced him in a hug with a hard frown on her face.

 

 

Five hours.


They had been waiting for five hours and by then, news spread to their friends.

Lisa and Ten were flying back and on their way. Johnny stopped by their house to get them a change of clothes while Jaehyun and Taeyong were already there for moral support.

 

Guan Lin was seated with his head in the palms of his hands as he stared at the floor.

Taeyong watched the girl as Eunmi was pacing back and forth.

“Five hours and still nothing"

Taeyong stood up and held the girl to keep her still and looked into her eyes, “Mi, uncle will be fine, they’re doing their best."

“But Tae..you weren’t there when I got the call.. T-they said to prepare for the worst..”

Sighing Taeyong took her into his arms and hugged her, softly rubbing her back to soothe her, "You’re okay Mi, we’re not leaving you or Lin alone."


 

Moments later the blinking red light went out. 

With a solemn expression the head surgeon walked to Eunmi and Guan Lin, their friends watched as the girl’s expression went blank..

Unreadable. 

Nodding along as the doctors spoke, her brother was the complete opposite, every emotion was portrayed on his face.

From anger to anguish, Guan Lin was in tears as Eunmi remained stoic while comforting her brother.

Moments later Guan Lin walked to their friends as Eunmi went with the doctors and nurses,

“H-he didn’t make it...they said they tried their best..b-but there was just so much blood..so much blood”

Every one of their friends had tears weld up.

Taeyong jogged to where Eunmi was and found the girl sitting silently, collecting her thoughts.

He quietly sat himself next to her and held her hand.

Upon contact, she twitched a bit before squeezing his hand and letting out the breath she didn’t know she had been holding in, "I-I knew it was inevitable..but he’s gone....”

Eunmi quietly whispered as she gazed into his warm brown eyes, “he’s really gone..”

As she blinked, slowly tears began to fall before she bursted out crying, Taeyong pulled her into his embrace and hugged her as his shirt began to get damp.

He kissed her head for comfort, “you’re never alone Mi, I will always be here."

Eunmi sniffled before looking up at him, “Always?"

“Always”