Epilogue

Ethereal Deaths II | BTS *reupload

It was the day of the missions. Oddly Seokjin began feeling uneasy from when he woke up. These feelings usually do subside after a while, but it just worsened into a pit of roaring turmoil. It had made Seokjin want to cancel the operation just to be safe, but looking at the circumstances he would probably be dismissed with the speed of light. They never believed much in intuition, unless it came in the heat of the battle.

 

Seokjin sat on the couch as he faintly registered the others running around, getting their weapons ready and plans memorised. He was ready by all means, but he still needed to arm himself at least a little. He stood up and went into his room, pressing on the lights button. A door opened in the wall beside his closet. He walked in and surveyed the weapons hanging on the wall. He grabbed a taser, baton, and several smoke grenades. After much pondering, he hesitatingly grabbed a small gun and loaded it.

 

"Hyung!" A faint call from the living room made Seokjin hurry out. He saw all the members sitting there, all geared up. He strode to the end of the table and looked at them. "Remember, don't die on me. Move out." They all stood and filed out into their respective vans. Lights flashed through the dark nights as the vans set off towards their destinations.

 

The first and second were successful, easily accomplished with sniper rifles and silenced shots to the chest of their targets. Seokjin could hear their muffled screams of celebration through his earpiece and he smiled. A while later, Jimin and Taehyung piled into his van. "Ready?" He tapped his earpiece. "Yes." The voices of Yoongi, Hoseok, Namjoon and Jungkook chorused and he pulled the gear stick, ready to set off towards their last location. It was the most dangerous one hence it was placed the last. Hey, who doesn't know the best is saved for the last?

 

Parking their vans in an abandoned alley a few blocks away, Seokjin turned to face Jimin and Taehyung. They both looked nervous, which took Seokjin by surprise. "Hey," he called them, watching their unfocused gazes snap to him. "You'll be fine." He looked at them, willing his eyes to give them the reassurance they need. Patting their shoulders, he gave them a nod and opened the door. "Go and kill them, yeah?" He smiled. The two hopped out and went off into the night, starting their missions. Seokjin turned to his computer and observed the security footage. Their target was located on the top floors, and they got an hour before the security changes rounds.

 

"Hoseok," Seokjin called, pressing his earpiece. "Yeah," his bright voice echoed, which set Seokjin's frazzled mind at ease. "Can everyone hear?" He said. A chorus of hums replied, and he continued. "I checked and found we only have an hour before security changes around so we need to do it quickly. A quick inside-and-out operation. Minimise the errors and we can go home to collapse on our bed."

 

"Ready for the second team." Jimin's voice softly said. "Team 2, move out,” Seokjin said and he went back to observing the footage. Something was wrong and his instinct kept warning him but he can’t find anything amiss. His eyes darted around the screen, trying to find and at the same time hoping he was wrong.

 

But he wasn’t. The footage he had was a loop, for ’s sake. “Yoongi, we’ve been played. Reboot!” he urgently said, while doing the same for his computer. A boom outside caught Seokjin’s attention and he pressed his earpiece, “Jimin? Taehyung? Namjoon? Hoseok? Jungkook? Report your status, now!” he half-yelled. His heartbeat was thudding loudly and he was praying that everything was fine. Those uneasy feelings are just an-

 

“Hyung?” a voice croaked. “I-” Static sounds buzzed through Seokjin’s earpiece, sending alarm bells ringing in his head. Everything was chaotic now, but he needed to pull them out right now. “Yoongi, can you hear?” Seokjin said, placing his computer aside. “Roger that. Any orders?”

 

“Keep monitoring the footage and sending instructions if they are doing their missions. If there’s a need to pull out, do it immediately with no hesitation. Everyone’s safety is the top priority.” He relayed his instructions and went out of the van, running towards Jimin’s and Taehyung’s location. There was white smoke everywhere and Seokjin coughed, waving his hands to clear the smoke. He could vaguely see some figures and he ran towards them. His sight cleared up as he went into the mist and he saw Taehyung caught in a chokehold. The poor boy was gasping and clawing at the person’s arm, trying to wiggle his way out but to no avail. Taking out his taser, he lunged for the man’s neck and sent jolts of electricity into his system. The man jerked and his arm loosened, making Taehyung collapse to the ground panting.

 

“Where’s Jimin?” Seokjin said, crouching in front of Taehyung. Taehyung’s hands pointed to a figure lying on the floor. “Can you stand?” Seokjin asked and Taehyung nodded. “Go save him first, hyung. I can still manage.” Seokjin grabbed Taehyung’s arm and slung it around his shoulder, pulling him up. Taehyung swayed a little but managed to regain his balance. Seokjin quickly darted over to Jimin. He was unconscious, and he had some crusted blood around his forehead. Groaning a little, Seokjin carried Jimin up bridal style and accessed the situation. More guards had arrived, surrounding them in a loose circle. .

 

“Rooftop.” Seokjin pressed his earpiece and said. “Clear a path for me, Yoongi.”

 

“On it. Begin your way there.” Seokjin drew out his gun and shot a few guards. Taehyung also managed to shot a few, which left a few that fled or crouched down when they heard the gunshots. Drawing out a smoke grenade, he unpinned it and threw it at the guards. Taking advantage of the confusion, the three escaped into the building. They took the escalators that were thankfully still working and went up. “Situation now,” Seokjin asked. “Team 2 is doing fine but I’m afraid they’ll have to pull out. The target we saw in the footage is an imposter. We’re tricked.” Yoongi said. “More guards are coming, and they seem to be going up. Like they know our locations.”

 

Seokjin looked at Taehyung and Jimin. Suddenly a small red dot flashed briefly and Seokjin pulled it out from Jimin’s shirt. He internally cursed and threw the device on the floor. Pressing a random button, the lift slowly came to a stop. “Team 2, come up to the rooftop. We’ll evacuate by scaling down. Yoongi, bring us the equipment.” Seokjin ordered. He walked briskly out of the lift, a hand shooting the security cameras blinking back at him. He continued until he reached another lift lobby. Pressing the button, the lift doors opened and revealed a security guard. Taehyung quickly darted over and knocked him unconscious before he could react to the intruders. Moving the guard into a corner of the lift, Taehyung cuffed the guard’s hands and Seokjin went in, pressing the button for the rooftop. Jimin was slowly waking up and Seokjin set him gently on the lift floor.

 

Jimin groaned. His head hurt and where was he at? Oh, a mission. Bringing a hand up to his head, he opened his eyes and saw Seokjin staring back at him. He yelped and moved backwards, knocking into one of the lift walls. “Take it easy. I need you functional when we pull out.” Seokjin soothed Jimin’s nerves, pressing his hand on Jimin’s arms.

 

The lift dinged as it reached the top. Taehyung dragged the unconscious guard by his foot out onto the rooftop, opening the door and walking to the grey washed rooftop. Pipes were scattered around, making it hard to walk around with ease. A while later, the door burst open to reveal Hoseok, Namjoon and Jungkook. They were panting as if they were being chased. “Guards. Coming up…” Namjoon panted, pressing his hand on a pipe for support as he tried to regain his breath. Hoseok and Jungkook were in a slightly better state, only panting a little from the previous exertion. Seokjin surveyed the scene in front of them. The three that just arrived was okay, and they could do the transfer right away. “Yoongi, is the clones out of the solutions?” A hum from the other side gave him a confirmation and Seokjin pulled out his button. He strode over and pulled out another box. “Eat this.” He gave them one pill each. They swallowed them dry and Seokjin fiddled with the button. “Remember, stay awake until I give you a signal. I’m transferring you guys out first.” Seokjin said. He pressed the button and waited for the loading to be over. Handling Namjoon the button, he strode over to Jimin and Taehyung.

 

Assessing them, he knew it was impossible to get them out via transferring. But he still had to try, somehow. “Did you go to Yoongi and get a pill from him yesterday? The transferring pill?” He asked the both of them. Taehyung nodded but Jimin didn’t, remaining silent. “So it was you,” Seokjin whispered, realisation dawning in his mind. He reached for his pill box and shook it. No sound emitted and Seokjin groaned. "Just my luck." Jimin quietly said and gave a shaky smile. Taehyung hugged Jimin, his head buried in Jimin's back.

 

"I'll see what I can do to get you out, alive." Seokjin huffed. "Yoongi, is there any way to get out without scaling down? I just need to send one out that way."

 

"I'm sorry but no. I'm on my way up, but there will be a wave of guards before I arrive. You guys need to neutralise them before they call for more reinforcements." Yoongi's voice was slightly breathy as if he was running. Seokjin glanced over to Jimin, who was sitting on the floor still blanked out. "Any transferring pills on you?" He asked while keeping his eye on Jimin. "Nope," Yoongi replied. Seokjin grit his teeth in frustration. He wanted to yell at Jimin for not taking the pill, but also, at himself for not making that necessary for all. From what he told them yesterday, only Taehyung took the pill beforehand together with Seokjin and Yoongi while the others chose to go without it. They had believed they would succeed and go back alive.

 

Seokjin didn't want to say it out loud, but he felt that here was their graveyard. It looked too much like a fight-to-death for the situation they're were stuck in. He reached inside his pockets and took out his smoke grenades. He threw them to Taehyung. "Release this once you heard the guards coming. We need to fend them off until Yoongi comes." He took his taser and gun out, standing in front of Jimin. Glancing at the button, he saw that Hoseok and Jungkook's status for transfer was almost done. "Jungkook and Hoseok, lie down now. I'll pull you guys out first."

 

Jungkook looked like he wanted to argue, but a jab from Hoseok stopped him from saying anything. Hoseok pulled Jungkook down and lied beside the boy, closing his eyes. "I'm pressing the button," Seokjin said. There was a click and it began. At that instance, the wave of guards burst through the door and Seokjin let loose a hoarse scream. They weren't ready, for 's sake. He glanced down at the button and realised both had been in the pullout process. Namjoon's was nearing completion, and he needed to buy time fast.

 

Shoving the button at Namjoon, he yelled. "Taehyung! Protect Jimin and wait till Yoongi comes! Namjoon, take this button and press once you see the loading is complete." He took out his small gun and ran towards the guards. Horribly, he was outnumbered. But nothing made him want to back away, and he was ready. Even if it kills him in the end, he'll give his all to protecting them. His brothers, that he had let down yet felt proud of.

 

Unpinning a smoke grenade, he threw them at the guards. He took the chance while they're confused to neutralise a few. Some down, many ing more to go. He gritted his teeth and prepared himself. Taking out his taser, he began slashing through the guards. Be it killing or shocking, he was ready to protect who he needed to protect. If he was going down, many had to go down with him. That rush of adrenaline spurred him, making him quicker and faster. It was terrifying to see him finally unleashed after being dormant for so long. As a previously valuable asset, he was considered prized in the army with his skills when unleashed or provoked.

 

"I'm here!" Yoongi's voice came into his earpiece. Finally! He assessed the situation again. There were around 10 more guards, and he could finish this in a few minutes. Call him arrogant, but he was capable enough to make it. "Everyone, get ready to pull out?" He yelled. He could faintly hear voices replying, but he needed to focus. Smirking, he twirled his taser and attacked once again. It seemed like he was an assassin dancing through his prey and leave none alive. It was deadly, yet beautiful. But in that moment when he was bringing the taser through a guard, he felt something bury itself in the back of his head. Time stopped for a moment as he froze.

 

Everything proceeded to explode, in full splashing colour. Seokjin felt himself falling, forward. His whole body had frozen up in shock, and he couldn't command himself to move. The pain was overwhelming every single sensory nerve and freezing them up. Seokjin swore he could see lines and lines of bright colours blooming and exploding in front of his eyes, making him dazed. He fell to the ground with a thud, with him still breathing heavily. That line was going to snap, any moment now. He could faintly register several voices shouting "Hyung!" as his vision grew dimmer. So this is how we die, he thought. He had been too invincible inside the army, and never did the thought of actually dying came across his mind. Dying wasn't an option in his dictionary, at all. Until now, yeah. He gladly welcomed the darkness that wrapped around him. It was like his mother's embrace that he had longed for, a long long time. He closed his eyes and waited for his demise.

 

Yoongi, on the other hand, was kind of lucky. With Seokjin creating such a grand diversion, he was able to get to Jimin and Taehyung safely. Namjoon was nearby, shooting down those in range. Other than some minor trip and fall injuries, he was fine. He took out his box and popped a pill into Jimin's mouth. The younger tried to spit it down but one glare from Yoongi got Jimin swallowing it back. He fiddled with the buttons while waiting for them to load it through. Yoongi had already pressed his and it was still loading. Too much stuff contained in his brain, he concluded.

 

A loud gunshot rang through the air. Yoongi whipped his head towards the source in time to see Seokjin fall. The next instance he was screaming in a voice he never knew he was capable of. The things he held dropped as he tried to scramble towards Seokjin. His legs wouldn't budge and he stood there helplessly, watching Seokjin fall to the floor. No amount of sound could be registered by Yoongi. His anchor, down. No, no, no, no. Something in him snapped, sending jolts of electricity through his nerves. It was as if he had triggered him on, and it was unstoppable now.

 

Picking up the equipment he dropped, he threw them to Taehyung. "Get out now, I'll take care of things." He coldly said. Menace could be briefly heard, sending shivers down Jimin and Taehyung's spine. "Hyung, let me go with-"

 

"Namjoon, press that button and lie down somewhere safe. I'll take care of it." Namjoon wanted to protest but one look from Yoongi made him pause. Those eyes are different, and why do I feel my life will be gone in an instant if I spoke again? He glanced over to Taehyung and Jimin who was still frozen in shock. "Why the hell are you still standing here? Get a move on!" Namjoon ordered, sending the two into motion. Taehyung and Jimin jolted into motion as they got ready to pull out. They secured the rope to their waists and attached another rope to a dead weight. Namjoon was lying hidden between the poles, waiting for his transfer. Glancing at the button, he sighed in disbelief. Why was it so ing slow? It's been 30 minutes since Hoseok and Jungkook got out and since then, it seemed to be stuck at 80%.

 

Screw it, he would die and it'll be worth it anyway. He got up and assessed the situation. Yoongi was dancing with his knife and gun, slowly reducing the enemy's numbers. He seemed to be able to last a while more. He looked at Jimin and Taehyung, which they seemed to be struggling a little with the ropes. Hurrying over, he helped them to secure the dead weight that would be acting as their anchor. "Go now. Me and Yoongi hyung will take care of things." Namjoon briefly smiled and pushed them over to the edge. Taehyung looked at Namjoon with a look of sadness in his eyes. It cleared soon after and he took a deep breath and jumped. Jimin was not looking at Namjoon, and he seemed to be hunched over himself.

 

By then, Taehyung had already reached the middle mark and was descending down very fast. Namjoon could hear his yells of joy as he swooshed down to the concrete below. Suddenly, Taehyung jerked in mid-air. The man himself continued to go down but he landed with a splat on the concrete pavement. He didn't pull himself up after a long time. Suddenly it made sense. He was dead. The tiny spot of red that Namjoon managed to spot confirmed his suspicions. He looked to Jimin, who was pale and had his hands placed over his ears. "I don't want to die, I don't want to die" was all Namjoon could hear from Jimin. He was muttering it repeatedly and shaking his head from the fear that was banging strongly against the door of his mind. Namjoon couldn't suppress that sigh that came from within.

 

2 dead. Their brothers, dead. That overwhelming wave of grief was at its limit, on the edge of the cliff that would bring him down to the depths of despair. Namjoon shook himself awake, trying to clear the haze that was creeping into his mind. Yoongi's cries of outrage coupled with knife slashing sounds were the only thing that rooted Namjoon from falling down. Our other brothers are still alive, and they need us. Namjoon glanced at Jimin, who was in the same state shivering and muttering. Sighing, Namjoon reached for a rope and tied it securely around his waist. Grabbing Jimin's wrist, he pulled him up and slapped his cheeks.

 

"I don't want to- Huh?" Jimin snapped out his fear-induced trance and confusedly said. "We'll jump down. Together." Namjoon emphasized on the last word, making sure that Jimin won't go back into that trance again. "But hyung-" Jimin tried to protest since he had his manly pride. But really, manly pride? Jimin scoffed internally to himself when he found himself protesting. Namjoon just rolled his eyes and grabbed onto Jimin's hands. "I'll protect you." As Namjoon said these words, the irony struck within him and he couldn't resist chuckling. "We sound like a movie." Jimin quietly said, a small smile on his face. "But we jump anyway." Namjoon shrugged as he pulled Jimin with him and stood on the edge. The wind strongly blew, making their clothes flap around wildly.

 

"You jump, I jump." Jimin couldn't resist saying. Namjoon hummed and looked at Jimin. His ears were flushed and his eyes are wild, black hair flying everywhere. No hint of the calm and composed Jimin, but a little Jimin who always cried and whined at things. Wait..what?!

 

And they jumped. Air screamed in their ears as they descended down and down, the immense force pulling at their skin. Namjoon was sure they looked like clowns trying to die but in a foolish way. But in fact, this was the key to their survival though the first didn't make it to the ground. Namjoon closed his eyes and relaxed his body, enjoying this strange and horrifying experience. Will he fall with a spat on the ground? Or will he land on two feet like those action films he watched when he was a kid? There was a thud on his chest and Namjoon frowned. Was it Jimin that accidentally bumped into him?

 

The air now wasn't the only one screaming. Namjoon opened his eyes as he heard Jimin's pitched screams. He was pointing to Namjoon's chest, a horrified look on his face. Namjoon directed his gaze and saw a blot of red. Using his fingers to swipe at the spot, he brought it up to his nose and smelt something coppery. Blood. Oh, he got shot. He was too calm though. His body should be screaming at him and he should be going into shock. However, his mind just accepted it. It's meant to be.

 

Seokjin hyung, Taehyung. I'm coming.

 

He closed his eyes and waited for the final moment.

 

Both fell to the concrete pavement, falling still in the night.

 

××₰××

 

Yoongi was on a grief-induced craze. He shouldn't be unleashing his inner demons, but nothing else matters now. Seokjin hyung is dead, Seokjin hyung is dead, he's dead. The thought that was being rejected over and over by Yoongi's mind. No. Hyung isn't dead. He's just resting because he's tired. Even an invincible man could have limits.

 

Lies, you liar. Wake up, Min Yoongi.

 

He wanted to start over for everything. Rewind, rewind and rewind.

 

Yoongi was 10. He was just a little person in a bar, tinkering using his tools while hearing the sounds of drunken people and clinking glasses. It was a lullaby to Yoongi because it was part of his childhood. Glass smashing sounds against the floor and the slurs of a drunken parent. Scars that started out red and faded to black, like his heart that got chained to a dark abyss of horrors. But somehow in that dark abyss, he found a tethering pole he could cling on to. So he held on as he bled black blood.

 

Then it came to the age of 16. Sweet sweet 16. My foot. Yoongi just wanted to spat at the sorry excuses of his parents. He had no one, except himself. Every day he hunched over his tools, the clear metal rings soothing his chaotic mind. He wanted someone. He craved for someone who could understand him and give him the attention he ing deserves. And it came in the form of Kim Seokjin.

 

Another castaway amongst the many out there. His family was rich, but the fortune wasn't for him. It was a in the form of a stepmother that brainwashed his father's and mother's mind. She broke their family apart and became his second mum, continuously driving his mum crazy until she got admitted to an asylum. Seokjin then became her target, using methods that made Seokjin revolted yet fascinated. It finally led him to the army, where he learned that his stepmother was a spy. Of all identities that she could assume, a spy had to be one of them.

 

So great. Freakishly great in all sense that could be just nonsense. And yet he ended up in the army, training for the same exact reason that broke his family part. Oh, such deja vu at its finest. Funny enough, Yoongi and Seokjin met in the bar that Yoongi frequented. And drunk Seokjin was a deeply funny one.

 

Yoongi stopped in the middle of his knife dance and breathed heavily. The heat of the battle was wearing off, and Yoongi felt immensely tired. He hadn't moved that much since the last fight with Seokjin which was years ago. And ironically the knife dance he "performed" was specially designed for him by Seokjin, of all people. It suited his physique and stamina, but the adrenaline from he grief-induced craze wore him out more than he could spare. His limbs now felt like lead, and the guards that still remained became something like wolves preying on a lamb called him.

 

He still smiled despite the multiple gunshots cutting through his chest. It was thoroughly the end, and he didn't regret one bit.

 

Hyung, I'm coming for you.

 

××₰××

 

"All are down sir. I'm not sure if our rat survived the ordeal."

 

"Find him, dead or alive. If he's breathing, reward him handsomely. If he's dead, just bury him with the others."

 

"Yes, sir."