Empty Space

Against All Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tiffany exited the bookstore with a smile carved on her face. She cuddled herself in her thick jacket before making her way to her best friend’s car. Taeyeon was waiting for her in the car. She asked Tiffany earlier whether if she wanted to tag along with her to Gyeonggi, which was a 50KM drive from Seoul. She had a bit of work to settle. 

They knew each other 15 years ago since they were at Bristol University. They were only a bunch of Koreans studying there so they were practically together ever since. After graduating, Taeyeon had to return to Seoul right away because of a family related issue. Tiffany stayed in the UK for few more years. 

“Thank you for making me wait for almost an hour.” Taeyeon said the moment her friend entered the car. “Sorry Tae.” Tiffany said softly.

“What took you so long?” Taeyeon questioned as she started to drive her Audi.

“I was looking for some English books for Emily.” Tiffany explained. “Seriously, you are giving books to your daughter for Christmas?” Taeyeon giggled.

“She needs to brush up on her English.” Tiffany said. “Indeed. I seriously don’t know what her father has been teaching her lately.” Taeyeon agreed. “Probably he’s teaching her the 1001 ways on how to hate her own mother.” Tiffany said.  Taeyon then put her hand on Tiffany's lap trying to comfort her. 

“Let’s head to the Ritz for dinner before we go back.” Taeyeon suggested. 

“Yes. I need that.” Tiffany turned to look at Taeyeon before she put on her sunglasses. 

*******

It was already 8.30PM. Though her shift has ended, Sooyoung was still at the bookstore. She was looking at some of the Christmas cards the bookstore was selling.

“Should I send her a Christmas Card?” She asked herself earlier that evening. She was still in shock that the lady bought her an expensive collection of CS Lewis “Chronicles of Narnia”. The beautiful lady named Tiffany Hwang had written the bookstore address as the address for the books to be shipped.

Mrs Lim couldn’t believe it when Sooyoung told her about it. She said it was too good to be true. How could Sooyoung of all people receive that kind of gift? It should be her, Mrs Lim exclaimed to Sooyoung earlier. “I am the committed one!” Mrs Lim added. She had never received any gifts from a customer. Ever. She instructed Sooyoung to still call Tiffany once the books have arrived.

“But what would her husband said..” Sooyoung was talking to herself about sending the Christmas card. “I could say that it was from the bookstore.” Sooyoung had a brilliant idea. She straightaway picked a card and decided to send it anyway. She then wrote on the card.

 

Dear Ms Tiffany Hwang

May this Christmas and New Year bring you peace and tranquility, and as you walk your path may it bring you contentment. May your heart be filled with the joy of giving, as it is the expression of the love in your heart and the kindness in your soul.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

C.S  3658
Capital House Bookshop
 

Sooyoung decided to put h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter