Writing Workshop

Against All Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyoung was quiet the whole day ever since her shocked encounter with Teayeon. Even during lunch earlier, she wasn’t paying attention to what everyone was talking about. To be honest she didn’t know what she was feeling. It was really hard for her to describe.

“Soo, are you okay?” Kyung Ho asked her when they were in the car on their way back to the office from the restaurant. “Y-yes, I am.” Sooyoung nodded her head.

“You seem distracted.” He replied.

“No, I’m fine.” Sooyoun faked a smiled. “You should be happy Soo, you just got confirmed.” Kyung Ho said softly.

Now, there she was in her cubicle still feeling distracted. She could still remember what Taeyeon said that afternoon. “We searched for you everywhere!”

“We?” Sooyoung mumbled to herself. ‘We’ as in Tiffany also tried looking for her? She felt like it was impossible. The last time she saw the woman, she seemed so happy with her husband and daughter. Sooyoung was not surprised if Tiffany was married again to the guy. Suddenly tears fell down her face unexpectedly and Sooyoung quickly wiped the tears away.

It had been 4 months being alone without Tiffany although Sooyoung felt like she was okay, deep down she was not. She missed the woman terribly and god knew how miserable she was. Tears were still running down her face and she quickly wiped it all away afraid that someone would see her crying in the office.

“Urgh, Sooyoung, enough now. Stop being so pathetic.” Sooyoung mumbled to herself as she tried to get herself together. The time was almost 6pm and she straightaway packed all her things and called it a day.

****

12th April, 12.45pm, 28°C

DING DONG

Taeyeon stood up from her working desk and walked towards the door. She was still busy looking at manuscripts as usual and Lindsay had gone to work earlier that morning so it was just her at home. Taeyeon opened the door and saw Tiffany was smiling to her while holding on a paper bag.

“Hey, what are you doing here?” Taeyeon was surprised as they hugged each other.

“I felt so bad yesterday. So I brought lunch over.” Tiffany smiled.

“Did Nick send you?” Taeyeon asked before she invited her friend inside the house.

“Yeah, he has a lunch meeting with a client later at 1.30pm.” Tiffany said as the both of them walked towards the kitchen. She placed the paper bag that contained the food that she brought on the kitchen counter.

“Hmmm.” Taeyeon on the other hand went to take a few plates and a bottle of wine for them to drink. After finished putting all the food on the plates, they sat down for lunch. “Sorry again for yesterday.” Tiffany apologized.

“Don’t worry about it.” Taeyeon replied. “So how’s everything?” Taeyeon went on to ask her friend.

“Well, Emily is doing great. She got 2nd place in English Spelling Bee last week in her class. I am one proud mummy. I know she still has a lot to catch up on English but she’s getting there.” Tiffany smiled widely. She really wanted her daughter to be as fluent as her in English.

“I’m not asking about Emily. I’m asking about you.” Taeyeon said seriously in English.

“Hmm, I’m good.”

“Are you?” Taeyeon asked. “Tae..” Tiffany let out a long sigh. She really didn’t fell like talking about her unhappy miserable life. “It has been 3? 4 months? Why are you not fighting this?” Taeyeon questioned.

“What’s left to fight? My daughter is with me. There’s nothing left for me to fight.” Tiffany replied.

“Arent you going to fight your own happiness?” Taeyeon pointed out. “I am happy.” Tiffany responded.

“You are not fooling me you know that Tiff..” Taeyeon said before she stuffed herself with the baked potato. “You are clearly unhappy and even my dead grandmother could see it.” Taeyeon looked at her troubled friend.

Tiffany ran her fingers through her soft hair and then she stared at her friend. “You know what, there is actually something that you could still fight for.” Taeyeon muttered.

“And what is that?” Tiffany looked uninterested.

“I saw Sooyoung yesterday.” Taeyeon revealed. Tiffany felt her heart just skipped a beat. She was speechless. “She never left the city Tiff.” Taeyeon added. Tiffany still didn’t say a word back. She just didn’t know why but she fe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter