Chapter 27

Forever As One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRpV1f4bKmk

 

As Doojoon led Mi-Young out of Danyang's deserted train station he suddenly stopped in his tracks in front of Mi-Young, who was not taking any notice of her best friend in front of her, causing her body to crash into his.

"I think we need to go that way," Doojoon pointed looking slightly puzzled as he held a map, which he was using to find the way to a traditional hanok guesthouse where they would be staying for a few days.

"Ow!" Mi-Young whined, grabbing hold of her head which had hit Doojoon's back, "yah! That hurt," she shoved him away from her with a pout and tied her Burberry trench coat around her waist.

"Maybe you sould watch where you're going!" Doojoon argued back and walked on ahead uninterested.

When the rain stopped and the sun started blaze, Doojoon picked up the pace of the walking so they would arrive quicker.

"Can we slow down a bit?" called Mi-Young to Doojoon who was marching ahead.

All of a sudden Doojoon stopped to look at his map, allowing Mi-Young to catch him up with a moan, "can we just stick to my pace of walking?"

"If we did that, we'd arrive at the guesthouse tomorrow evening," he responded.

Mi-Young let out a tired sigh and dropped herself on a large rock by the side of the road, hoping for a much needed rest.

"I think we've gone the wrong way. Maybe we had turn right at the church and not left," Doojoon thought aloud, turning the map up and down, making Mi-Young gaped with a annoyed expression thinking they walked all that way for nothing.

"Are you being serious?" Mi-Young groaned with tiredness.

"I'm sorry but if you could map read yourself we wouldn't be having this problem." Doojoon snapped back.

They stared at eachother waiting for the other one to speak but they remained silent until a smile crept onto both of their faces. The two of them could never stay mad at eachother, I guess that's what it's like to have a best friend; someone who won't judge you on your lack of abilities and make light of the situation, even though how ty it may be.

Mi-Young and Doojoon walked back the way they came and turned right which led them down a small road with quint houses situated either the side of it.

"Mi-Young we don't have time to stop every second to take pictures," Doojoon moaned to Mi-Young who was busy clicking away with her camera, taking photos of the pretty flowers growing at the edge of the pavement.

"Why didn't we just get a taxi? It would've been a lot easier and less painful in my opinion," Mi-Young suggested.

"I'm going to give the guesthouse a call to see how far away we are," Doojoon took his iPhone out of his pocket and dialled the guesthouses number which was written on the map he was reading from, "Hello? This is Mr Yoon, I have a reservation for tonight. My friend and I are walking towards Beewon Guesthouse, we're by a field with a lot of dandelions growing, do you perhaps know how long we are from you?"

"You're about another 30 minutes from us but I'm sorry Mr Yoon, it says on our system that you're not checking in until tomorrow. We have no rooms available tonight," the guesthouse owner apologised sincerely.

"What? You mean there's no room for us tonight?" Mi-Young's ears pricked up as she heard Doojoon's question.

"Okay, then where is the nearest guesthouse we could stay in tonight?"

"Unfortunately Mr Yoon, we're the only guesthouse in this village. Why don't you camp for one night? I hear the weather's meant to be good this evening," the owner suggested.

Doojoon thought for a moment and eyed Mi-Young who was back to taking photographs of the stunning surroundings, before replying, "thank you very much for your help, we'll see you tomorrow," and Doojoon hung up the phone and dropped it back into his pocket.

"So how far away are we?" Mi-Young asked not taking her eyes off the picture she was taking.

"There seems to be a problem," Doojoon admitted gaining Mi-Young's attention, "there's no room for us at the guesthouse tonight, only from tomorrow. I was thinking maybe we could camp out tonight? You know, cook dinner over a gas stove, star-gaze. What'cha say?"

"You want me to sleep out here in the wild?" Mi-Young asked looking shocked as ever. Doojoon responded with a smile and a nod, "but there's bugs out here..."

"You'll be fine. We have the blankets and pillows that we brought with us, so we're pretty much set."

The two of them searched around for a small area where they could sleep that night. Mi-Young spotted a tiny wooden house by a river and had 3 chairs at the front with a wooden table, which had obviously roughly been made out of tree.

"How about this place?" Mi-Young cheered and ran up the pathway towards the house, "maybe we could ask just to sleep by the river? I'm sure there wouldn't be enough room in the house," she figured out as she looked back to Doojoon, who was casually following behind her carrying the bags.

"Why don't you go and sit by the river with the bags and I'll ask the owner of the house if it would be okay?" Doojoon said and carried the luggage down to the edge of the river and ran back up the small hill to knock on the front door, leaving Mi-Young with the bags.

The front door of the wooden cabin slowly opened, revealing an elderly woman who had bowl in her hands which looked like it had homemade kimchi in it.

"Hello."

"I'm sorry but we don't take sellers at this door," the lady apologised and began closing the door in Doojoon's face.

He held his hand out to stop the door closing, "sorry to disturb you but I'm not a seller. I've come to ask for a favour."

"Who is it?" another elderly voice called from inside the door.

"I've come on holiday here with my friend, and was wondering if we could maybe sleep outside by the river down there," he asked pointing down to Mi-Young who was trying to fix her make-up but instead swatting away the flies.

"You're welcome to stay in here. I mean it's quite small and you'd have to share the same room but it's cosy and warm," the kind lady offered.

Doojoon thought about how tempting her offer was, that he would be able to sleep in the same room as Mi-Young but decided against it. *Afterall, she's still married.* he thought. "That's very nice of you to offer but I think it'll be good for her to do something like this. She's a bit of a city girl if you get what I mean," he replied, looking back at Mi-Young again who standing on a tall rock attempting to get signal for her iPhone.

"I see. You two can still join us for dinner out on the porch this evening. It'll be about 7pm once it's ready," the elderly woman smiled sweetly and closed the door before Doojoon could get a chance to bow and to thank her for her hospitable gesture.

Doojoon jogged hurried back down to where his best friend was standing, "great news. She said we could stay out here and they're going to cook us dinner for tonight," he told Mi-Young.

"That's nice of them," she smiled cutely in response and plonked herself down on the nearest rock, "so what do we do now? Seeing as I can't get any signal..." Mi-Young looked around thinking that there wasn't much to do around here. 

"Well, it's 5:30pm now and dinner will be ready at 7pm so I don't know, read a book or something. Just relax, it's a beautiful setting," encouraged Doojoon who was now laying on his back on the bright green grass with his eyes closed and hands behind his head.

The sun was slowly setting and began to vanish amongst the trees, causing the light to disappear. For the next hour and a half, Mi-Young and Doojoon just chilled out, Doojoon snoozed and Mi-Young completed a couple sudoku puzzles, which always kept her quiet, much to Doojoon relief. As 7 o'clock was approaching, Mi-Young chose to change into something more comfortable for dinner, so we found a bush to hide behind and wore a pair of sweatpants and a plain black tee. http://cache.net-a-porter.com/images/products/195706/195706_fr_l.jpg

Just before 7 o'clock, Doojoon and Mi-Young walked up towards where they would be having dinner. *How can she still look perfect in just sweatpants and trainers.* Doojoon thought as he watched her lead the way up to the house.

"Good evening, I forgot to introduce myself earlier. I'm Doojoon and this is Mi-Young," Doojoon shook the elderly man's hand and Mi-Young followed with a bow.

"It's nice to meet the two of you. Here, take a seat," the lady gestured with her hand and Mi-Young and Doojoon acted in response.

The four of them sat down by candlelight to enjoy a delicious meal that the elderly lady had made. It consisted of home-made kimchi, galbi-tang and a bulgogi stew, which Mi-Young had to admit it was the tastiest stew she's ever had. As they ate, the elderly man struck up conversation with their two guests, "so where are you guys from?"

"We're from Seoul," Mi-Young replied happily.

"I hear a lot of young married couples move to Seoul. How's that going for you two?"

"Oh, no. We're not married," Mi-Young corrected quickly.

"Mi-Young's married but we're not married., together...We're just best friends," Doojoon added.

Mi-Young and Doojoon could tell that the elderly couple were judging them as to why Mi-Young would go on holiday with another man if she was married.

"I'll clear the dishes," Mi-Young suddenly said, gathered the plates together and made her way into their kitchen and began to wash up, not wanting to be in that awkward situation outside. The kitchen/living area was extremely small but very cosy with a fire burning and a old family pictures hanging on the wooden walls. http://imagesus.holiday-rentals.co.uk/mda01/1baacdc01b7acccc4f806889f4f4cd8b5bdc529c

Outside the remaining 3 sat and carried on the conversation of Mi-Young.

"You have a really lovely home. Thank you so much," gratefully said Doojoon.

"So you love her don't you?" the woman guessed.

"Excuse me?" Doojoon leant his head forward, not understanding what the lady was on about.

"The girl in there. You're in love with her. We're not stupid you know," the man and woman seriously stated making Doojoon feel uncomfortable, as he knew they were right.

"It makes no difference, she's married," Doojoon solemnly replied, taking a large shot of soju.

What Doojoon and the couple didn't realise was that Mi-Young could hear everything through the thin, wooden walls.

The shock of Doojoon's indirect confession made Mi-Young break down. She turned around and leant back against the sink. She lifted her hand to to stiffle her tears and sobbed into her hand. She had never felt so betrayed by her own best friend; however, she didn't feel angry at him, instead, a pan of guilt overcame her. *How long has he felt this way?* she asked herself with confusion.

The sudden opening of the front door made Mi-Young wipe away her tears and straighten up.

"Mi-Young, I think..." Doojoon started to say before noticed Mi-Young's red puffy eyes signally she had been crying, "wait, Mi-Young have you been crying?" Doojoon asked concerned standing in front of her and bringing himself down to her level.

Mi-Young sniffed and wiped the remaining tears away, "no, I think...I just drank too much..." she awkwardly replied turning away from Doojoon. He understood that even if she was crying she wouldn't admit it to him so he left it.

He straightened up and sighed, "I think it's time we got going. We have to leave early in the morning."

Mi-Young and Doojoon thanked the lovely couple very much for dinner and letting them stay on their property and made their way back down to the edge of the river where they would be sleeping the night. Doojoon had borrowed a tent from the elderly couple and had already pitched it up earlier ready for when they arrived back after dinner.

"I'm going to go and change over there..." Mi-Young bluntly said, avoiding Doojoon. She changed into her sleepwear, which weren't all that suitable for camping, a chemise dress. http://cache.net-a-porter.com/images/products/186059/186059_fr_l.jpg

She came out from behind the bush, covering herself up with a blanket, not wanting to reveal too much to Doojoon or anyone else who may see, which was unlikely.

"You're seriously wearing that camping? When you said 'sleepwear', I thought you meant pyjamas not your finest nightdress," Doojoon joked, not that he was complaining about what she was wearing.

They both climbed into the tent and snuggled down next to eachother under the blankets they had brought along with them. Doojoon turned over to face Mi-Young but as soon as he did that, she flipped over so she was facing away from him.

"Thanks for coming on this trip with me MiMi. It should be fun," Doojoon enthusiastically said, however his smile turned into a frown when there was no reply from Mi-Young, "I guess you're already asleep. Goodnight," he her hair and tried to sleep himself.

*I shouldn't be avoiding him. He's still the same person I've always known.* Mi-Young thought feeling guilty for the way she has been treating Doojoon for the past 20 minutes. She turned over to see a sleeping Doojoon next to her. She gently leaned over and lightly kissed his forehead with her soft lips, sending electricity through her body.

--------------

Commentcommentcomment ^^

Also vote on this poll!