Chapter 14

Forever As One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxSmkMzLdpY&feature=related

 

As 6:30pm was soon approaching, Mi-Young waited by the window for Doojoon to arrive. Outside, the sun was starting to set behind the blossom trees and a gentle breeze blew. It was a cool spring evening so Mi-Young chose to wear a pair of black skinny jeans, black heels and a baggy knit sweater.

When she soon spotted his car pull up to the building, her heart started to beat faster and faster. *Butterflies, please go away.Why am I so nervous?* She thought with the funny feeling in her stomach. She rushed out of her apartment with her handbag swung over her shoulder and made her way towards Doojoon's parked car. Doojoon was too preoccupied fiddling with the radio that he didn't realise Mi-Young was standing outside the car. She gave a gentle knock on the window which made his head shoot up with a big smile and Mi-Young returned with a small gesture of her hand and slid into the passenger seat.

"Hey." said Mi-Young with a shy smile.

"You look nice." He returned with a genuine smile and drove off.

"So where are we going?" She asked curiously.

"It's a surprise." He replied whilst concentrating on the road, "put the music on if you want. It'll be a while since we will arrive so just relax, have a rest if you want." Making Mi-Young feel comfortable. She began to look out the car window but soon became sleepy and drifted off to sleep. After 2 hours of driving, Doojoon finally found a parking space and turned to Mi-Young.

"Hey MiMi," he said whilst shaking her gently, "we're here."

She stretched and then looked out of the car window and realising where Doojoon had driven her. Their hometown just outside of Osan. Mi-Young's face lit up with excitement as she hadn't been back since she left to move in with Yoochun in Seoul.

"When was the last time you were here?" Doojoon asked seeing her so surprised.

"Nearly 8 years ago. It still doesn't look any different." still focusing on the dark neighbourhood she grew up in. Doojoon got out of the car and rushed round to open Mi-Young's door for her.

"Come on," holding out his hand he said, "my mum's expecting us."

Mi-Young stopped in her tracks and replied, "what?"

"Come on. Let's go," Doojoon said with a cheeky smile as he grabbed her hand and pulled her towards his american style house and knocked on the front door.

"But Doojoon, I didn't bring a present or anything." Mi-Young worried.

A familiar looking woman answered the door and soon realised who it was.

"Darling!" She greeted Doojoon with a big welcome.

"Mum, you remember Mi-Young right?"

"Omo! Of course I do! How could I forget a lovely girl like her!" She pulled Mi-Young into a warm hug, "I didn't think it would be possible for you to get any more beautiful but it happened," she complimented resulting in Mi-Young bowing back whilst blushing. "Come in. Come in," Doojoon's mum led the two of them into the dining which was set up for dinner.

When Mi-Young was younger, she would always love coming round to Doojoon's house as his mum would also cook Mi-Young's favourite food for her and even give her spending money when her and Doojoon went to the amusement park.

The three of them sat around the table with Doojoon's mum beginning to serve the food. She cooked Mi-Young's favourite; which was Galbi tang with steamed rice.

"Thank you Ahjumma." Mi-Young kindly said taking the hot bowl of Galbi tang.

"You're very welcome. It's been so long since I've last seen you. How's everything in your life? Doojoon tells me you live in Seoul also, is that right?" Doojoon's mother questioned.

"Yes. I moved there about 4 years ago."

"Why's that then?" She asked confused.

Mi-Young wasn't sure how to reply but Doojoon interrupted and saved Mi-Young the trouble answering the awkward question, "Mi-Young's married now, that's why," he replied for her whilst focusing on his food.

An awkward silence filled the dining room, making Mi-Young even more embarrassed.

"Married? Well, I wasn't expecting that. I always thought you two would get married to eachother." His mother said trying to find the right words to say without offending her, "I'm happy, just as long as he makes you smile," as Mi-Young kept her head down in silence.

It took Mi-Young a while to think of the last time Yoochun had made her smile.

After they had finished the rest of the meal, Doojoon broke the silence with a cough and said, "Mum? Mi-Young and I are going to go out now but we'll be back later." Doojoon grabbed Mi-Young's hand and dragged her gently outside to the car after the both of them bowing and thanking Doojoon's mother for the lovely meal, "Don't wait up for us," he shouted as he walked out the front door.

Outside by the car, Mi-Young turned to him slowly and asked, "Doojoon, what do you mean, 'we'll' be back later?"

"You're staying here with me tonight," he replied with a sly grin.

"What? I can't stay here, I have to get home," she panicked.

"For who? You said so yourself that Yoochun wasn't going to be there." calmly said Doojoon as he walked away and climbed into the driving seat.

Mi-Young felt defeated and decided not to argue back to Doojoon as he always got his own way. She slid into the passenger seat of his Porsche Carerra and asked with a confused expression, "well then, where are we going now?"

Doojoon answered affectionately, "I want you to come somewhere with me," sounding suspicious.

15 mins had passed and they slowly pulled up to the location Doojoon had intended on coming. He un-fastened his seatbelt and turned to face Mi-Young and noticed her cheerless reaction.

As she stared out the window emotionless and said in a bereaved voice, "what are we doing here?" not even looking at Doojoon but focusing on the dark surroundings.

"I thought you wouldn't have been able to come here in a while so I brought these with us," he reached over to the back seat and picked up a bouquet of yellow peonies.

"We shouldn't have come here," Mi-Young muttered and got out the car and slammed the door. She leant against the car, closed her eyes and ran her hands through her long silky black hair. Doojoon sat there thinking what he should say. He got out the car and walked around to Mi-Young's side where she was standing.

"I just thought that you may of wanted to come here since we are so close," he said, searching her face for an answer, putting his hand on her neck gently for comfort and bringing himself down to her level.

"So you decided to bring me to the cemetary to visit my parents?" she replied trying to figure out why he would even bother bringing her somewhere like this but at the same time she felt touched. *Yoochun would never bring me somewhere like this. He would think it was a waste of time.*

"I'm sorry. I ddin't mean to make you upset. This the complete opposite reaction I was hoping for." The two of them came face-to-face and Doojoon was hoping for Mi-Young to find courage to do what they went there to do. After a long pause, Doojoon finally spoke, "Let's say we go and lay these flowers for them and say a prayer. Yeah?" Persuaded Doojoon and slowly led her away from the parked Porsche but Mi-Young stopped and tensed up making Doojoon look back concerned, "MiMi, what's wrong?" him seeing that she was on the verge of tears.

"Tha...thank you," she choked out and broke down in Doojoon's arms. The touch of his body on hers caused her to soften and melt into his chest. The two of them held eachother for a while with Doojoon gently her head. *Don't ever leave me Doojoon.* She thought as her tears didn't stop flowing.