Awkward... (Chaeyeon • Kyulkyung)

Remember

Characters: Jung Chaeyeon, Joo Kyulkyung

Requested by: aecha93

Title: Awkward...

+++

The disbandment is just around the corner and here I am, acting like a potato of a group of girls in the brink of tears as thoughts of the said disbandment flowed through our course of thought, connecting them like some kind of series connection.

I was fine with it, somehow. Being a member of DIA and am actress, I had my future settled. Sejeong-unnie and Mina will promote with the rest of Gugudan, Yeunjung with Cosmic Girls, and as much as Chungha-unnie debuting as a solo artist soon.

Somi's case was different. Some fans predict her as an addition to TWICE. And as much as my curiosity rang, I'm certain she'll be in the industry at some points. Doyeon and Yoojung will debut sometime with the other Fantagio girls, maybe in late 2017, and Sohye would've been seen in the limelight as an actress and a variety show host.

Let me spare the details of Pledis Girlz. Nayoung-unnie and Kyulkyung deserve to debut. Five years of training seems harsh. Me, being a trainee for only eight months, I couldn't fathom much for five years of torture in the company and trapping inside a dungeon called the dorm, although I had gists of what it was like. I'm sure Nayoung-unnie and Kyulkyung loathe of that drastic even and are somewhat relieved they're officially debuting this year.

And somehow, I can't spare anymore details so because I don't to deal things awkwardly with the Chinese girl.

"Unnie, are you alright?" Sohye would ask me. "Is there anything wrong between you and Kyulkyung-unnie?"

"Is there?" I asked. "Why would you say that?"

"I just have my gists. You seem awkward with Kyulkyung-unnie. What happened?"

"Nothing." I lied.

There is...and with my naïve nature, it's best to keep it hidden.

---

I was finished promoting with Heehyun-unnie, Eunice-unnie, and Yebin with our unit album yet I had to go back to the IOI for since promotions for the national group are still on. I got to the door to open it when someone opened it for me. I gasped. It was Kyulkyung.

"Hey, unnie." Kyulkyung greeted. "Thank goodness you finally came home."

"Why are you up?" I asked, lowering my head. "Aren't you supposed to be sleeping due to the fact you'll have your practice with Pledis Girlz?"

"Don't mind me for what I'm doing." Kyulkyung said.

I nodded. I got in and went to my room when Kyulkyung held my wrist.

"Kyulkyung...what are you..."

"Stop being awkward when I'm around." Kyulkyung said. "Come on, unnie. We've been promoting together for almost a year. Shouldn't we fine before disbanding and going on with our own lives?"

I didn't say anything and just looked down. I heard Kyulkyung sigh and I look up again.

"Sorry. You can go now, unnie." She said.

I didn't hesitate to obey her but somehow, I felt heavy. Kyulkyung doesn't deserve to be treated like that. But, man, why does the wee old me have to be so awkward?

---

"Trapped in some lame old daydream, Chae?" Heehyun-unnie asked. 

"Maybe?" I answered that Heehyun-unnie laughed at me. "What?"

"You're naively cute, Chaeyeon. What's the gist on Zhou Jieqiong this time?" 

"Why do you call her with her Chinese name?" I asked.

"She's Chinese. Duh. And besides, I like pronouncing her name. Sounds strong, you know." Heehyun-unnie shrugged. "Anyways, spit the gist out, Chae."

"Does knowing that I like Zhou Jieqiong help you?" I asked and shs spits her drink by the window.

"Holy crap. What did you say?" She asked back.

"I like the Chinese girl." I said with a pout. "But you know we can't be together, right?"

"As much as I hate to burst your bubble, you're right. You can't be together." Heehyun-unnie said. "But in order to get the awkwardness off of the two of you, you need to express yourself. Tell her how you feel."

"So I just go there and say that I like her?" I asked seriously.

"Aigoo..." Heehyun-unnie face-palmed herself then went to grab her phone. "I'mma tell your leader in IOI to engage an open forum."

---

I was back at the dorm again. I watch the rest of the dongsaengs due to the fact that Sejeong, Chungha, and Nayoung had to go and buy some groceries.

I watch Sohye and Mina doing a Pepero game, Somi and Yoojung dancing and singing like little rascals, then Doyeon and Yeunjung playing some Jenga.

Wait a minute. Where's Kyulkyung?

"Unnie." She was right beside me and I was shocked. 

"Yah. Don't scare me like that." I said. "You should've said something in the beginning. Jeez..."

"Sorry." She said, lowering her head. 

I sighed and looked away. I noticed the place getting quiet as I look at Sohye and the rest of them, looking at us.

"What?" We both said in unison.

"Well, this is awkward." Somi mumbled.

---

I was rolling on the bed as I talked to Chungha-unnie, who was munching some sweet potatoes. I got a stick from her stash and ate.

"What's with you, Chae? Why do you get awkward with Kyulkyung? She doesn't bite, you know. Well, aside to Nayoung." Chungha-unnie said.

"I don't know, either." I said, huffing. "Seriously, this whole awkward thing is getting on my nerves."

"Go and do something together." Chungha-unnie said nonchalantly. "Come on. You should hang out. The disbandment is growing near."

I saw Chungha-unnie's look as she said that word that triggered all of us. I loathed the disbandment and even loathed the fact I get awkward with Kyulkyung. 

"So...what do you think I should do?" I asked.

"Take it slow. But the foundation of that is to increase confidence. If you want to go with the course of flow with Kyulkyung, you need to step up and just talk to her. Give your confidence a notch." Chungha-unnie said her advice. "If not, take Nayoung-unnie and Sohye as an example."

I remember the story of the most awkward people in the group: Nayoung-unnie and Sohye. They were different. Nayoung was a Stone Buddha and Sohye was the dense Penguin. They don't hug each other around like the rest of us. They couldn't even hold hands. They were as awkward as white people with black people.

"Hmm...maybe I should." I nodded.

"Maybe you must." Chungha-unnie said. "Just do it and calm down."

I nodded, thanked Chungha-unnie for the advice and decided to give it a try.

---

I was at the living room and Kyulkyung was there, reading a book. I gulped, feeling my chest pump quickly. But rooting Chungha-unnie's advice, I went closer and sat beside her couch.

"Unnie." Kyulkyung smiled, closing her book. "What is it?"

I was ed up. What should I say? Seriously, I look like an idiot but I need to say something somehow.

"Nothing. Just wondering of what you're reading." I said.

"Oh-it's this book entitled 'Awkward...'" Kyulkyung said as she showed me the book. "I like the plot because it talks about two girls getting out of the awkward zone."

It hit me. I laughed at myself for this. Then, Kyulkyung holds my hand and gave the book to me. "Try and read it."

"Okay..." I spoke.

"Kyulkyung." Nayoung-unnie called. "We need to go."

. Wait a second! "Uh, Kyulkyung?"

"Yes?" She responded.

"I need to say something." I babbled.

"What is it?" She asked.

I couldn't believe myself. I didn't say a word. I could hear Nayoung-unnie scolding Kyulkyung to hurry up but she told her to wait a little longer.

"Aigoo...let's talk about it later." She said and I just nodded.

She kissed my cheek and went with Nayoung-unnie. I just sat there, my hand on the cheek Kyulkyung kissed.

This was nuts. I didn't say it, losing my chances of losing the awkwardness. But saying that we'll talk about it later, I sighed and waited for that chance.

---

I finished my schedules and headed back to the dorm. As I opened the door, I was shocked to see the rest of the members gathering around, their eyes looking at me as if they're waiting.

"Finally, you came." Chungha-unnie sighed.

"Come, Chae. We're having an open forum here." Sejeong-unnie said.

I nodded and joined them. I went to sit next to Yoojung but she points at a space next to Kyulkyung. "Sorry, unnie. That's the only space left."

I sighed in defeat and sat next to Kyulkyung. Nayoung-unnie began such conversations and spoke everything about us, one by one.

Nayoung mostly wanted to settle things with Sohye. Sohye spoke her little crush towards Mina and she reciprocated, also saying stuff to Somi on how energetic she was. Somi spoke to Chungha about being a good dancer and Chungha shared to Yeunjung of her admiration towards the singer. Yeunjung confessed that she liked Doyeon but said she moved on from it. Doyeon felt the same but she always and a spot for Yoojung.

"For me, Chaeyeon-unnie has been an innocent person. But somehow, she feels awkward with someone." Yoojung said.

"Who?" Somi asked.

"Kyulkyung-unnie." Yoojung answered.

Kyulkyung's eyes dilated and I lowered my head. The ambiance of the whole open forum had gone quiet. Then, Nayoung-unnie called the both of us and as the dongsaengs we were, we had to follow.

---

This was ed up. Here I am, knocking on the door like a psycho.

"Yah! Stone Nayoung!! Let us out of here!"

"Not until you settle your awkwardness." Nayoung-unnie spoke through the door.

"Kyulkyung and I are not awkward!" I yelled. "Just open the goddamn door, unnie!"

She didn't hear me as I heard footsteps softening from this door. I knocked several times and stopped when Kyulkyung held my shoulder.

"Knock it off, unnie." She said with a cold tone. "Let just get this over with and talk about this."

That was shocking and eerie. I've never seen Kyulkyung that way before. Somehow, the replacement of her jolly nature into a cold one sent shivers down my spine. I sighed and sat next to her, leaving a gap between us.

"So..." Kyulkyung began as I listened. "I make things awkward for you, is it? How deep is the awkwardness in your case, unnie?"

"Rock bottom..." I mumbled. "But don't blame yourself. I'm at fault, Kyulkyung."

"No. I'm at fault. How can I not be a considerate dongsaeng, unaware of her unnie's feelings?" She asked and I froze.

"Kyulkyung...do you..."

"Chaeyeon-unnie." She called.

I look at her. I gulped as we gazed at each other's eyes. I gulped as my heart pounded so quickly. I felt a hand on my cheek and I couldn't hold my blush.

"You're too obvious." She started. "I know you like me. Don't hide it ever again...because I like you too."

Woah. That was too quick. It was too quick that I felt my cheeks heat up. I gulped, trying to regain my composure but somehow, at the back of my mind, I need to stop this.

Little did I know, we were hugging each other. It was warm. The feeling of Kyulkyung is so warm. I felt comfortable. I felt happy.

"What a year. Tell me, unnie. Why did it come to this?"

"Well, I've always been so naïve that I thought you wouldn't feel the same way." I said.

"That's weird. I felt the same too. I even thought you were gonna wipe off the face of the earth and not talk to me again." Kyulkyung said back.

"You mean like that?" I asked, pinching her cheeks.

We laughed. I laughed harder, making me conscious, my hand covering my mouth. Kyulkyung chuckled and gets rid of my hand and kissing it lightly. "Don't hide that. I like it when you laugh."

That fluttered my heart in ways I can never understand. Kyulkyung inches closer, out lips almost touching. "Tell you what. How about we make this official. Be mine, Jung Chaeyeon."

We both stood up, our hands held together. I smirked and wrapped my arms around her waist, one hand doing a tiptoe gesture towards her lips. "Do as you please. Remember, you're mine...and things are going to get...hot."

She gagged out of pure affection. I laughed hard as Kyulkyung's face was red as a tomato. I heard rumbling of footsteps by the door and heard the door getting unlocked.

"Come on." I said, holding Kyulkyung's hand. "Let's tell them that we're official."

---

Chaeyeon and Kyulkyung were such beauties during the Produce 101 era. Kyulkyung was from A, Chaeyeon was from C. During the first evaluation, they stepped up to their competitive spirit, making their way together in the top 10.

The second part was utterly the beginning of their affections. They were in a group, together with Sohye. The very first evaluation was a disaster. But then, they went to the journey together, initiating the point of each other's interest.

The third and fourth evaluations were a blast. They went through it and thank God, they made it. Sitting next to each other onto the pyramid-like pedestal was like heaven. They were so happy for each other, making it this far and debuting together with other members selected by the national producers for the group they're in now.

The promotions were blessings for them. There are wins, losses, distractions, even the depressing moments of realization that their national group wouldn't last forever. That was Chaeyeon's greatest fear for her and Kyulkyung. That's where the awkwardness started. Knowing that they won't be together for the next days, she thought it was best for her to let all those feelings go and distance herself from her imperial affection. She knew if they would be together, time will pass quickly and they will forget about each other.

But no. Chaeyeon knew it wasn't the end. For some reason, she believed they'll stick together no matter what the circumstances. And for Chaeyeon, she's sticking to that belief, just as much as Kyulkyung did.

For now, they were at the balcony of their dorm, watching the moon shine. Chaeyeon and Kyulkyung sat next to each other, holding hands.

"Chaeyeonie...throw cushion to the wind." Kyulkyung said.

"I won't." Chaeyeon pouted. "You'll laugh at me."

"Come on. Do you trust me?" Kyulkyung asked her.

Chaeyeon nods. She does the little dance from SNSD's Into the New World and showed her expression to Kyulkyung. The. Chinese girl was mesmerized.

"Wow." She mumbled. "I know I'm as beautiful as you are but...you're a goddess, Chaeyeonie."

Chaeyeon laughed with Kyulkyung. The girl cups Kyulkyung's cheek and the Chinese girl leaned onto that hand. "Does the disbandment disturb you?" 

"It does, Chaeyeonie. All of us are disturbed by it. Sometimes, I wish it wasn't real. We could just be inactive for two years then come back." Kyulkyung explained. "I don't want to disband. Fans have loved us and we would promote a lot for this. And...I could be with you... forever."

"You will be with me forever." Chaeyeon said. "The distance doesn't matter. We'll be strong for each other and for IOI. We may separate few weeks from now but please know...that I'll be here."

Kyulkyung felt Chaeyeon's hand close to her heart. Kyulkyung held that hand and nodded. "You're right. I'll wait for that, Chae."

"Me too." Chaeyeon said and they share their kiss.

That worked out before disbandment. Then again, it won't matter. For they know that one day, they'll be together again.

Who knew it all had to do with some moments and a recommended book on awkwardness?

+++

That was the third, everyone. My class will resume tomorrow. I might get busy but I'll do my best to grant the requests.

Love lots from asahdako.