Love and Competition (Sejeong • Somi)

Remember

Characters: Kim Sejeong, Jeon Somi

Requested by: soshiLover56

Title: Love and Competition

+++

It was a competition, they said. But no. It was chaos.

Ever since the Produce 101 era, Sejeong and Somi were incased in a container-like field wherein one and only one will emerge victorious. And with their close range of getting the center position, the first place, and the name as the winner of the goddamn competition, the connection and rivalry of the two couldn't get much sweeter.

Sejeong could remember her relationship with Somi as memories flood by. 

In the beginning, Sejeong was an avid fan of Somi since her era in Sixteen. During the dance training of Pick Me, Sejeong was scolded for being incompetent with dance training whereas Somi was scolded for her incompetence of singing lines by heart, which resulted to each other's comments and comforts.

Next was the rankings. Sejeong and Somi would alter in ranks between first and second place. There was one time Somi got fourth place that Sejeong apologized to her for getting first, although it was natural that it was never a contestant's fault, especially when one is working hard throughout the competition.

Last was the finale. It was the moment when the final members were picked to represent the national group. Many cried for losses but most of them cried in utter joy as their bets were indeed chosen. And for Sejeong and Somi, it was the moment wherein the national producers, almost everyone, can finally determine who won.

Some said Somi. Others said Sejeong.

But then, Somi took that spot, winning. For Sejeong, she was happy to be second and was happy that she won.

Because for her, you'd be happy for a person you really care for.

---

The newly formulated group, IOI, were already packing their stuff as they move to another phase of their careers, typically, moving to a dormitory.

Most of the members had gotten really close since the competition. For Sejeong, she had gotten close with the unnie line and the maknae.

"Sejeong-unnie." Somi called. "Let's be roommates on the new dorm, okay?"

"Sure." Sejeong said with a smile.

Somi hugged Sejeong. The Ahjusshi's hidden emotions towards the maknae had gone free again. And once Somi let go, it her.

It was about she confessed to her...

•••

When they arrived, they were really tired so all of them decided to call it a day. Somi, being the youngest, got to take a shower first on their bathroom. The others waited, with Yoojung sleeping on the floor. 

"Doyeon, wake her up." Sejeong instructs her.

Doyeon nodded and woke the midget up. Somi got out of the shower as the rest of the dongsaengs got their turns. After almost 2 hours of waiting, Sejeong finally got her turn.

When all of them were done with their showers, the IOI dorm had gone quiet. Nayoung, Chungha, and Mina were sleeping quietly on one room. Yoojung, Doyeon, and Chaeyeon were snoring lightly. Then Sejeong, Kyulkyung, Yeunjung, Sohye, and Somi were also knocked out.

But then, Sejeong heard a sniffle. She knew that cry. She slowly got up and saw Somi, crying.

"Som?" She called and the maknae looked up to her unnie.

"I had a nightmare, unnie. I'm scared..." Somi cried.

Sejeong sighed as she grabbed a stool and sat on Somi's level. "Mind telling Unnie about it?"

"We were all going to this ghost city and you let me stay behind because I have the camera. It's scary, unnie." Somi sniffled.

"Aigoo...but it was just a dream, okay? Come on. Go back to sleep." Sejeong said.

"Can you watch over me?" Somi asked.

Seriously, how could the Ahjusshi say no? "Okay. I'll stay here until you fall asleep."

Sejeong could only lean by the post as she waits for Somi to sleep. Somehow, a hand held hers.

"Unnie, can I say something?" Somi asked and the Ahjusshi nodded. "I like you. I like like you."

Sejeong knew the meaning of 'like like'. But she couldn't believe it. All she could do was face the maknae. "Somi..."

"Even though we were pitted to be rivals before, you didn't care about it and made me feel comfortable. And you know, it made my flutter at some points. And it made me like you, Sejeong-unnie..."

Sejeong-unnie got her verification. She leaned closer towards Somi, their faces inches away from each other. "You know, Somi? I've been waiting to say this...I like like you since day one."

Somi and Sejeong shared their smiles them Somi slumped and slept. I look at the pretty maknae and I couldn't hold my adoration towards her.

"Good night, Somi." She patted her head and got up.

But a hand stopped her. Sejeong looked back to see Somi whining ever so cutely, her eyes still shut. "Unnie...sleep with me."

Sejeong sighed as her wee heart couldn't decline the maknae's request. Somi was up as Sejeong laid next to her. Somi cuddled Sejeong as she falls asleep again, a smile plastered on her face.

Sejeong smiled at the sleeping maknae, looking cute and sweet. Sejeong wrapped an arm around her and began to dose off to dreamland.

---

Even though the said competition had ended, many of the spectators and fans couldn't forget the close range of their rivalry. During variety shows, Sejeong would've thought she would group with Somi in terms of group activities but no. They were visualized to the viewers as rivals.

With that, things got a little awkward. During shows, it feels like we were distant as if our relationship was withering in the breeze. And somehow, one of them made regrets.

•••

After the shoot on Knowing Brothers, IOI were heading back to the dorm. Sejeong got a seat and saved Somi a seat next to her but then, Yeunjung sat instead.

"Where's Somi?" Sejeong asked.

"She's at the back, unnie. She's sitting next to Mina." Yeunjung said.

Sejeong sighed as she thought of the maknae being mad at her for the pillow fight a while ago. There's was nothing that the Ahjusshi could do at this point as she can't wait to get home to settle things.

*hours later*

Sejeong went inside the room. She saw Somi, fixing her stuff and getting ready for bed. Sejeong sighed and decided to talk to her. "Som?"

Somi didn't answer and kept on fixing on her bed, even though the bed was already spotless. 

"Somi. Talk to me." Sejeong said again. "Please...let's not get tension here in this room, not alone this entire dormitory."

Somi glared at Sejeong. The Ahjusshi sighed as the maknae blurted. "So that's what you're feeling, huh?"

"What's wrong with you? Look, I didn't mean to hit you with that pillow. You know that's all for show and does not counterattack with our personal life. Come on, Som. Don't get mad."

"I am mad!" Somi yelled. "I'm mad because we had to be paired up as rivals and you think it's okay by me?"

"You think I don't feel it, Som? It hurts me too! You know that show was as setup!" Sejeong almost yelled.

"Oh, so blame the shows then." Somi ranted as she sat on her bed. "Why were you even competing with me for first place?"

Sejeong heard that mumble and she looked away, not wanting to cry. Somi had gone quiet as they sat on their own beds. Sejeong sighed as she said. "I'm sorry. Sorry for...all this..."

Mina and Sohye came in and stopped as they felt a tension in the room. Sejeong forced a smile, although the shikshin duo saw her hidden emotion. "Mina, will it be fine if we switch for tonight?" 

Mina nodded as she happy to sleep with Sohye in one room. Sejeong nodded and went to other room where Chungha and Nayoung were. Mina and Sohye went close to the maknae as they ask.

"Again with the tensions from the competition before." Mina mumbled as she pats Somi's head. 

"The ing industry finds a hard time moving on. What bull." Sohye cussed as she got a slap from Mina.

"No curses, please baby." Mina said.

"Sorry." Sohye said. "But to be completely honest, I'm just saying the truth."

"Mina-unnie, Sohye-unnie, I'll sleep now." Somi said.

The shikshin duo nodded as they left the room and let Somi get some sleep. The maknae curled onto her blanket and stuffed toys but all she could do was cry.

Sejeong and Sohye were right on one thing. The shows are setting then  up so they shouldn't let that affect their relationship. But Somi had to be the dense kid who didn't see how her unnie/girlfriend was sorry for all this, taking the burden on her own shoulders. 

She just hopes she can talk to her of this and say her sorry.

But tonight, her tears kept flowing.

•••

Sejeong rushed to the other room as Mina called her. Sejeong asked what's wrong as she points at a crying Somi, her back facing Sejeong. The Ahjusshi sighed as she went closer and gave her back a pat. "Now, now...don't cry, Som."

A hug greeted the Ahjusshi. Sejeong froze as she felt Somi wrap her arms around her waist as she sobbed on her shoulders. "Ahjusshi...don't get mad."

"Aigoo...I'm not mad." Sejeong said. "Don't mind that, okay? You need some sleep."

"Please stay here." Somi pouted. "Sleep with me again."

"Aigoo...Mina might see -"

"Mina-unnie is sleeping next to Sohye-unnie. They're even having a cuddle party." Somi said again.

"I can't. You might not sleep well like last time." Sejeong said. "I'll just sleep in my bed."

"Ah! I don't want you to! Sleep here... please..." Somi said as she cried again.

Sejeong watched as Somi cried, her face looking like Hamtaro. Sejeong didn't know if she took pity or if she found it funny but she can't let the maknae get cranky any longer.

Sejeong shifted as they lie next to each other again. Somi was quick to cuddle onto the Ahjusshi and mumbled. "I'm sorry. Will you ever forgive your maknae girlfriend?"

"How could I not?" Sejeong asked as she hugged Somi. "Remember the first phase of the rankings?"

Somi nodded. Sejeong inched closer as Somi felt her heart beating quickly. Sejeong pokes her nose closer to Somi's and said: "I'd give up first place anytime for you, just like I'd give up this fiasco anytime so that I can love you..."

Somi couldn't hold the gap between their faces as she inched closer and their lips crashed. Sejeong's eyes dilated but then, she kissed back.

"I love you..." Somi mumbled and kissed Sejeong again.

"I love you too..." Sejeong replied softly.

Sejeong was true for that... she'd do anything for Somi...

---

Shooting for Taxi was great for IOI. After their mini concert, they stayed for a while but they had to be back at the dorm before 12 due to the dongsaengs.

The unnie line, except for Kyulkyung and Chaeyeon, went out to drinj. They asked Sejeong to come but Sejeong volunteered to come with kids to each over them. Somi would oppose, telling her that she should be with the rest of the unnies but Sejeong kept on insisting. As they arrive at the dorm, the kids were ready to take their showers but Sejeong and Somi held hands and walked at the veranda.

"Aren't the stars beautiful today?" Sejeong asked her.

"It's beautiful." Somi said. "But I don't understand something. You would've have fun with the rest of the unnies. Why didn't you come and drink with them?"

"I'm not in the mood to drink, Somi. Besides, I want to stay and be with you to watch the stars." Sejeong answered.

"You could've just come with the unnies, Ahjusshi. Nayoung-unnie and Chungha-unnie are going to be awkward." Somi said again.

"Nah. I'd be a third wheel." Sejeong said. "Som, why are so persistent as if you want to kick me out? Do you not want to be with me tonight?"

Somi whined as she saw Sejeong getting mad. Somi held Sejeong's face as she said: "It's not like that. I just want you to have fun."

"But I have fun when I'm with you." Sejeong said again. "What's with you, Somi?"

Somi sighed hard as she pulled Sejeong and they sit by the bench close to another balcony. Somi held Sejeong's hand tenderly the she lets go. "Ahjusshi...you promise thst you'd do anything for me. Now tell me...why didn't you team up with me to gather fans for our concert?"

"Somi, please...not this again." Sejeong ignored as she stood up to go back. 

"Why won't you answer me?" Somi asked.

"You don't understand." Sejeong mumbled.

"What wouldn't I understand?!" Somi yelled.

"Please calm down... let's not talk about the rivalry. It doesn't matter, right?" Sejeong held her her shoulders as she said those words.

"It does. And as a couple, we're resolving it." Somi said.

"About that..." Sejeong began as she looked away. "...maybe it's better to...stop this relationship."

"Ahjusshi!!" Somi yelled as she gasped of what her girlfriend was saying.

"Please. With the industry still setting us up of rivalry, I don't want to be a reason that would bring you misjudgment to the media in  projecting the viewers about us." Sejeong said as she walked away.

"Why are you saying , Ahjusshi?!" Somi asked angrily. "I thought you said we're going strong with this!" 

"Heh...we? More like 'I' am the one being strong for the both of us. You don't seem to care, Somi." Sejeong batted.

"What do you mean I don't care?! This whole rivalry thing is out of at hand and it pains me to see you get hurt on this like I am! Don't you understand?! I don't want you to get hurt in this! I care because I love you! I love you, Kim Sejeong!! Please...don't do this to me..." Somi sobbed, hugging her from the back.

"Sorry." Sejeong spoke.

Somi has never thought Sejeong could act like that. She pictured Sejeong as a vibrant coloring book filled with joy and smiles. But now, she was like a monochromatic book filled with unexplainable words.

"What's happened to you?" Somi cried as she lets go of Sejeong. "You're like the Kim Sejeong I picture out as a rival. You're not the Kim Sejeong I remembered I love."

"Okay. I'm not. Now are you satisfied?" Sejeong faced her as she asked.

"No. Just disappointed." Somi said back.

"You know, maybe we should've kept the tension as rivals." Sejeong said as she walked away.

"Good. Finally, I can't stop thinking about this whole thing and be the rival you always want." 

Sejeong's ears rang as she heard of that. She faced Somi and grew furious. "Listen, you think I wanted this whole thing to happen?! You don't even look at me and see all what I did to keep this relationship despite of the awkwardness. And you know? I didn't do this out of sympathy. I did it for love, Somi."

"For love?" Somi spoke as she snickered. "That's crazy talk. If you really did it out if love, why did you stick to this relationship knowing that in the next schedule, we'll be pictured out as rivals again and again?"

"How many times did I tell you that rivalry shouldn't affect us?" Sejeong asked again, growing furious by the minute. "But fine! If you hate this to happen again and again, maybe we should end this!"

"Fine! Just give up all this and let's break up!" Somi cried. "Give up our moments together, give up our fight against obscurity of being rivals, give up the 'I love you till the end' ."

"Okay." Sejeong said and Somi's heart shattered of Sejeong's cold response. "With me and Mina not promoting for the next comeback, I'll forget all this. Finally I'll be at peace."

The last sentence hit Somi. She infuriated and went back to the balcony to sit down and cross her arms.

"I'll have a wonderful time promoting without you!"

Sejeong froze. She looked at Somi as she still crossed her arms. Sejeong's tears fell and she went back inside.

Little did she know, Somi was a wreck as she cried a river.

---

Wonderland became a wonderful debut for Gugudan. Mina and Sejeong were happy to back at Jellyfish to promote with their fellow trainees, especially with Nayoung. They weren't trainees anymore. They were stars.

Despite of the hectic schedules and countless hours without rest, the nine of them did their best to promote well. And despite of the artistic life, their personal life had never been much sweeter.

In the Gugudan dorm, Sejeong, Mina, and Nayoung shared a room. Mina was busy with her tab, Nayoung was busy playing with a Rubix Cube while Sejeong was about to doze off when...

"SOHYE, MY PENGUIN!! KYAAAH!!!"

The two unnies jolted up as they heard Mina's scream.

"What's that, Mina?" Nayoung asked as she went closer, seeing a teaser. "Omo-IOI is lit!!"

Sejeong's ears rang as she went closer. Sejeong watched as Mina replayed the teaser. It was no ordinary teaser. It was IOI's sub-unit and their comeback with Whatta Man.

Kyulkyung was lit with pink hair. Somi-

"Ohohoho, Somi's looking pretty." Nayoung nudged Sejeong.

Sejeong was silent as she looked again. Somi did look gorgeous, Nayoung had a new look, Doyeon was more gorgeous, Yoojung was lit AF. Chungha had her really feisty and y look. And Sohye? She grew vibrant and pretty Mina died fangirling.

As the teaser ended, Nayoung went out to recommend the teaser to the rest of Gugudan. Mina puts her tab back as she sighed of her unnie.

"Hey, unnie." Mina called and Sejeong faced her. "Sohye said Somi missed you. Why don't you call her?"

"I deleted her number." Sejeong said and Mina gasped. "Come on, Mina. We're through. With us pictured out as rivals, I can't love Somi dearly because of it."

"Don't say that, unnie. You're still the best couple, next to me and Sohye of course." She winked. "You may have been pictured out as rivals but this shouldn't stop you. I know you're stronger than that, unnie."

Sejeong could only react. She wonders now how Somi's been.

•••

The IOI sub-unit was wrecking the charts, winning music show after music show. During their side of promotions, IOI had rocketed and earned a name as one of the most famous rookie girl groups to ever set foot in the musical industry.

Like any group, they also have a taste of the personal life. At the dorm, the seven members were watching a music show. All of them were fangirling a lot until Gugudan for their turn to perform.

Sohye was the first to cheer as she saw Mina on TV. The rest of them cheered for Sejeong, Mina, and Nayoung. All of them... except for Somi.

"If you'll excuse me. I need to sleep now." Somi said as she went off.

Yoojung would be stopping her but Chungha shook her head to let the maknae be. Somi got to her room, looking at her bed and the adjacent bed by her right. 

She teared up. She went to the adjacent bed, seeing the grey sweatshirt and the black mask. Somi laid on that bed as she hugged the grey sweatshirt close to her heart.

Somi may have denied the fact but to be completely honest, she'd never forget Sejeong. She missed her and she actually wanted her back. Somi sobbed as she lets the clothing wrap around her as if Sejeong was there to hug her to sleep just like she always does.

She sleeps peacefully...and she hopes that can promote as IOI again so that she can see her and bring her back to her heart...

•••

Gugudan and IOI had hectic schedules before but now, they face a new set of schedules as IOI reunites to promote their second and last mini album. For Somi and Sejeong? The rivalry was finally off of the media but what do you think happens next with their relationship as sisters ONLY?

Would be it filled with more awkwardness and loneliness?

As of this time, Sejeong and Mina arrive back at the IOI dorm. As they opened the door, Sohye was already inside, watching Pingu.

Mina went to hug her girlfriend tight as they share their moment. Sejeong sighed and was happy for the shikshin couple as she went to her room. As she got there, she gasped to see her sweatshirt and mask gone...and there was a bag by Somi's bed.

Sejeong had her hunch. She puts her stuff down and went to the veranda. She saw a person by the bench and it hit her as tears fell on her eyes.

"Somi." 

She couldn't face her yet. She sighed and went back when...

"Ahjusshi!"

Sejeong froze and just went or another bench to sit. Sejeong sighed, looking at the sky to see no stars.

"It's dull, isn't it?" A person sat beside her...Somi said beside her.

"I can't believe we meet each other like this again." Sejeong chuckled. 

"Why didn't you text me or call me?" Somi asked, her hand reaching to Sejeong's cheek.

"Our separation became a big deal I deleted your number. Disregard that. I'll get it later." Sejeong answered.

"Ahjusshi..." Somi spoke as Sejeong felt Somi's fingers caress her cheek. "I miss you."

Sejeong's eyes widen as she looks slowly towards Somi. Somi never thought the Ahjusshi had gone prettier as she felt Somi's hands cup her whole face. Somi cried in front of Sejeong, asking. "Why didn't you come back before?"

"I finally got some sense knocked into me. Well...the both of us..." Sejeong answered as she points at Somi and her own swollen eyes. "And I got the eyes and you wearing my sweatshirt and mask to prove it."

Somi hugged Sejeong tight. Sejeong sighed, hugging the girl back. Somi sobbed. "Ahjusshi...I'm so sorry. I'm so happy you finally came back home."

Sejeong may have her kept her sense of denial to the end, that not even an ounce of Somi's pleads can fix that broken heart. But no. Sejeong still had her spot for Somi and nothing will change that.

"I love you. And just like that time, I'd give up and come back to you anytime, whenever you need me." Sejeong said.

"*sniff...*...I love you..." Somi indulged on Sejeong's warm embrace.

"I love you too." Sejeong kissed her forehead. "Always?"

"Always." Somi said as they share their hugs.

+++

Finally I'm done!! Another story by tomorrow. Love lots from asahdako