Chapter 9

Friendship is Love

        rose-2.jpg

(FLASHBACK cont.-still part of the letter)

 Donghae's POV

     Ugh! School had started a two months ago, and I was ready for summer break again. I looked at Jessica who was walking to class beside me. She looked four times more tired than I did, but she still didn't complain about college. Tch, such a perfect student.

     "How are you not dying like me right now? I just want to crawl back to bed and sleep!" I groaned. Jessica turned to me with an exhausted look. She was wearing an adidas jacket with a plain black t-shirt. Her bangs were pulled back with a headband and she was wearing skinny jeans. Surprisingly, for once her outfit didn't belong to me. Also, as much as I thought it was weird, I couldn't deny how well the fitted t-shirt brought out her figure. Seriously, who knew she had a chest? I mentally slapped myself every time my eyes wondered. Sometimes it was really hard to have a girl as your best friend.

     "Some of us don't actually hate school Donghae," Jessica said bringing me out of my thoughts. She adjusted her books in her arms. The way her arms drooped when she held them made the books look twice as heavy as they probably were. I sighed and grabbed them to add to my own stack of textbooks. She looked at me caught off guard and I smiled.

     "You were up all night being the perfect -up student studying. The least I could do as your best friend is carry your books for you." She smiled at me genuinly and muttered a shy thanks. I don't know why but I felt really warm when I saw her reaction.

     "So how close are you and Yoona now?" I asked her to make conversation. I don't know why I brought her up all of a sudden, but I felt like the atmosphere had gotten a little awkward. Jessica's face fell a little, but she quickly put on a teasing smile.

     "I'm closer to her than you will ever be," she laughed. Yoona and Jessica had gotten much, much closer since we all first met. They were always hanging out. Of course I was jealous. Yoona had only softened enough toward me to say hi. She barely awknowleged any of the charming gestures I put up for her. Not only that, but Yoona was taking my best friend from me. Jessica had actually ditched me for Yoona three times in the past month. That had never happened before!

     "When will you give up on her Hae?" Jessica asked, "Can't you tell she's not interested?"

     "Never." I responded smugly. I was going to get Yoona to like me one way or another. It was only a matter of time before she realized how awesome I was.

     Jessica tugged on my arm and held her hands out for her books. I realized we were standing in front of her class.

     "Have fun singing. Do well." I said as I handed her the books. She grinned happily and turned around. Before she could go in the room I ruffled her hair. She quickly whipped around and pushed me. I walked away laughing to my dance class. I walked a little faster knowing that Yoona would be there as well.

     When I entered the room after getting changed I saw Yoona stretching in a group of her friends. Jessica had introduced her to a lot of the girls since the girls at the school had been really jealous of Yoona when she first arrived. I smiled at her when we made eye contact. She smiled back and then turned around. I sighed and leaned against the wall. Her legs looked really good in the shorts she was wearing. She wasn't ty which was another reason I was attracted to her, but her figure stood out in everything she wore.

     "Okay class, let's start! Today we're doing the group performances. Yoona's group will start," the teacher yelled. I was excited to see what Yoona would do. I had seen her dance in the class before, and she definately had moves. Hopefully this group dance would further show off her skills.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaE99_0UD9k

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lu2ol4ZHkI&feature=related

(Ignore the guys in the performances lol)

     After the dance I was in awe. The only other girl who had impressed me like this before was Jessica when I saw her sing in high school (that had been how we became friends). She probably saw me drooling over her, so she rolled her eyes and bowed to the class.

Yoona's POV  

     I saw Donghae gawking at me after the dance. I just rolled my eyes and ignored him. He still hadn't left me alone after all this time. That didn't mean I was going to give into him any time soon though. Yeah he was cute, and he was really sweet (especially when Jessica was around- I loved the way he treated her), but I could tell his feelings for me weren't real. He just wanted to play around, and the fact that i kept ignoring him made him want me more.

     After class I went to change and then went to my school locker. I already knew what was going to be sitting inside it before I even opened it, and of course there it was. A single red rose was sitting on top of my books. Donghae somehow found a way into my locker, and he had been placing a rose in it for the past two weeks.

     "You like it?" I heard a voice behind me. I didn't bother looking behind. I already knew it was Donghae.

     "When will you stop?" I asked glancing at him. He smirked.

     "Funny, Jessica asked me the same thing earlier today."

     "Donghae just admit it. You don't have a romantic bone in your body. Love is just a game for you." I stared him straight in his eyes. The last part I said wasn't completely true. I was 80% sure that he had secret feelings for Jessica.

     "If I wasn't romantic you wouldn't have so many roses." He started fidgeting and I realized he was hiding something behind his back.

     "I don't find that romantic. It's actually really creepy." I responded unimpressed. When I stopped talking he revealed what he was hiding, and handed me a small teddy bear. It said "Friends" on the front of it. I took it although I was a bit confused.

     "If it bothers you so much we can just be friends. I don't mind waiting, and I'm really not as bad as you think." He winked as he walked away. I watched him leave and I couldn't help but smile.

     Suddenly Jessica bounded up to me. She was eyeing the teddy bear in my hands. I quickly put it in my locker and shut the door.

     "Hey was that Donghae? Is he bothering you again?" Sica asked hesitantly. I was still smiling from the encounter and I tried to wipe it off my face.

     "Well yeah, but he said he'd leave me alone now. He just wants to be friends." I reassured her. Instead, she seemed more confused and even a bit flustered.

     "Don't worry about it." I shook her shoulders and laughed. She had truly become my closest friend here at the college, and as her friend I didn't want to hurt her. We walked together in a comfortable silence for a while, but I couldn't hold it in any longer. I had to ask her.

     "Sica what's your relationship with Donghae?" Instead of getting surprised and jumping at my blunt question, she answered calmly.

     "You're not the first to ask," she sighed, "He's my bestest friend. We've been inseperable for the past few years, and I couldn't imagine it any other way." She was smiling happily and staring off in the distance.

     "Is that all?" I whispered.

     "Huh? Did you say something?" Sica looked at me with the same happy smile.

     "Does it bother you that he's a playboy?" I covered up my real question. She started laughing and answered.

     "Well I guess. I've lectured him enough about it, but don't tell anybody this. He's told me that he believes in true love."

     "What really!?" I started laughing with her. Instantly the atmosphere had become less serious.

     "Yep, really. The playboy of the school is waiting for his perfect soulmate." Suddenly, Jessica stopped laughing and had the same faraway look on her face. I took what Jessica had just told me and thought for a second as well. For some reason a warmth had started to spread throughout me.

     "You know he's never paid as much attention to a girl as he does to you," Jessica said softly. 

     "Except you," I quickly retorted. We stopped walking and looked at each other. I think deep down we both knew what our true feelings were for this charming boy.