Chapter 24

Friendship is Love

 

 No POV

       Donghae's mother, Eun Mi, waited with the phone on her ear for the principal to pick up. She was calling Yoona's father because like every year, Yoona's father, Eun Mi. Donghae, and Jessie were all going to visit Yoona's grave. Eun Mi liked to call to make sure all the preparations were made for the flowers and transportation.

     "Hello?" a deep voice finally answered.

     "Hello Jisoo. It's Eun Mi calling. I just wanted to make sure everything was ready for tomorrow," Eun Mi responded.

     "Oh! Yes, yes of course. I will come pick you all up at the train station, and we will go straight to visit Yoona. The guest bedrooms at home are ready as well for you all to stay in." Although Yoona's death had deeply scarred Jisoo, he was able to overcome and remain strong. He knew his daughter would not have liked for him to live an unhappy life. Besides, he was always happy to see his beloved grandaughter.

     "Alright then, see you soon!" Eun Mi said.

     "Goodbye."

No POV

       Jessie waited at the top of the stairs for Donghae to leave his room. After finishing the letter, she had been up all night long, thinking hard about what she was going to do next. Then she realized that the family would be staying near the University tomorrow so they could visit her mother's grave. This meant that she could try to find Boa. That is, if Boa still worked there. So far, the plan seemed to be progressing well. However, Jessie needed to be 100% sure that Donghae still loved Jessica. In order to test him, she had created a game.

     "Jessie, why aren't you downstairs eating breakfast?" Donghae asked. He finally walked out of his room in his business suit. His tie was a mess and his shirt was untucked like always. Jessie turned to face him with squinted eyes and her arms crossed across her chest.

     "Are you forgeting something Dad?" She asked him.  He grinned and bent down to his daughter's height before pecking her cheek.

     "Happy Birthday sweetheart," he smiled, "So why is the birthday girl waiting alone by the stairs this morning?"

     "I wanted to play a game," Jessie said with a grin, "This is how it goes. I will say a word and you have to respond with the first word that comes to your head, but you only have five seconds to respond. Okay?"

     "Stupid game," Donghae chuckled. The whole time Jessie had been talking, he had on a very amused look. Jessica, on the other hand, was not happy with his response at all.

     "Daaadddyy!" She whined while cutely stomping her feet. Donghae laughed and ruffled her hair before picking her up and adjusting her so he could give her a piggy back ride.

     "Okay, okay. I'm sorry," he apologized. Jessie tightened her grip around his neck, and finally started the game.

     "First word. y," the eight-year-old giggled. They had finally walked into the living room, so Donghae set Jessie down on the couch in order to fix his tie and shirt. Suddenly, Eun Mi walked in from the kitchen and started going up the stairs.

     "y? Ummm, Grandma," Donghae laughed. Jessie pouted and smacked his leg. He let out a sound of pain as he looked at her with a confused look.

     She rolled her eyes and demanded, "Dad you have to play seriously! Please?" Donghae sighed and nodded his head as he turned his attention back to his clothes.

     "Next word. Crazy."

     "You," Donghae responded. Jessie smiled and continued.

     "Third word. Home."

     "Us." After saying this, Donghae grabbed Jessica and started carrying her to the kitchen. The game continued.

     "Fourth word. Love."

     Without hesitation, Donghae stated, "Friendship." Once again Jessie was satisfied with his answer. She was almost 100% sure what his next reponse would be.

     "Last word. Jessica."

     "Jung," Donghae answered. He put his daughter down on a stool without realizing what he just said.

     "Jung? Who's Jessica Jung?" Jessie asked with a fake puzzled look. She was actually jumping up and down inside knowing that her father still thought of his teenage love. It meant that her mother was right.

     "Wasn't she your friend from high school, Donghae?" Eun Mi asked as she walked into the kitchen. Donghae stared at both women with a somewhat startled look.

      "Well, um. Yes. She was a friend I met in high school. We both went to college together as well," he finally explained.

     "I remember how inseperable you two were. I swear, you couldn't find one without the other," Eun Mi continued to reminisce.

     "I want to hear more about her!" Jessie demanded. Donghae sighed and leaned back against the wall. He had a dream-like look in his eyes as though he was remembering something extremely pleasant.

     "She was my very best friend. She wasn't like the other girls at all. In fact, sometimes it seemed like she was one of the guys," Donghae paused to laugh as he continued to stare at the kitchen tiles.

      "You know, while the other girls put on makeup, Jessica played soccer. She was just so different. She didn't dress like a girl either. Actually, most of the time, you could find her wearing my clothes!" Donghae smiled and looked up at Jessie still in his dream-like state. This was the first time he could remember talking about his best friend in years. It felt good for him to tell someone about her again.

      "What else?" Jessie asked softly. Her small lips were pulled up in a soft smile as well. Behind her, Eun mi stood completely engrossed in their conversation. This was the first time her son had spoken about a girl in this way since Yoona had passed away.

      "My Sica was crazy. Dressing up, trying to impress guys...it just wasn't stuff that she liked to do. She...like I said, she was my best friend. Would you like to hear any more, or is that enough?" Donghae's dazed expression was gone, and he was now standing with a small grin on his face. His ears had also turned a bit red as he realized how much he had just said to his mother and daughter about his past flame.

      "Just one more question," Jessie told him.

      "What?"

      "Where is she now?"

      Donghae walked over to Jessie and kissed her forehead. He sat down on the stool next to her with his elbow resting on the large island and his chin in his hand. The question she asked him had been bugging him for a while as well.

      "I wish I knew Jessie," he mumbled with a nostalgic smile.

***Jessica's life will be revealed in the next chapter and anticipation to Haesica's meeting will continue to get more intense. Probably 2 or 3 more chapters left before they meet :) Enjoy and please COMMENT!

PLEASE CHECK OUT THE STORY "FORGIVENESS IS THE HARDEST THING TO DO"! IT'S A HAESICA STORY THAT IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! I'M REALLY ENJOYING READING IT! THE STORY IS FAST PACED, WELL WRITTEN, AND INTENSE (if you know what I mean lol).