Chapter 3

Friendship is Love

   South_Korea_maru_i_Kids_Summer_Series_20

*****Hey guys! Just want to note that Jessie is going to be Donghae's daughter while Jessica will be Jessica Jung. Sorry for any confusion!

 (8 years after Yoona's death)

Jessie's POV

     I waited impatiently for Dad to come home. I mean seriously! How can he be 4 hours late for my birthday dinner. He even promised to be here on time. Of course it wasn't my birthday until tomarrow, but we still had agreed on today for the dinner. I huffed as I sat on the red kitchen stool. I rested my chin on the large marble island that took up the center of the room. My eyes shifted around to look at the silver fridge and the dozens of cabinets hanging on the walls.

     "He's still not here yet?" Grandma asked as she walked in. Since my mom had passed away, Grandma had been staying with us to help raise me. I guess it was obvious that Dad needed the help haha.  

     "Nope. He's not here, and I'm not talking to him when he gets here." Suddenly there was a click from the front of the house and I could hear my Dad's loud steps coming toward the kitchen. I fixed my face into an even more angry grimace. Grandma turned to me and smiled.

     "Go easy on him. I'm sure something important must have come up." She ruffled my hair as she left the kitchen with her glass of water. After a few seconds I could hear someone clearing their throat behind me. I refused to turn around. I heard Dad sigh and there were footsteps coming toward my back. A pair of strong arms picked me up to look at him. Still I remained stubborn as I refused to bring my face to look up. Once again he sighed and put back down on the stool. He sat down in front of me.

     "There was a meeting in the office. You know I would have come right away if it hadn't been important, and there had been extreme traffic," he whined. Tch, making more excuses. I crossed my arms and turned my head to the right. He will have to do a lot to make it up to me. There was shuffling in front of me. Maybe he had brought me a present?

     "Here. I brought you a teddy bear. Will you forgive me now?" He started to nudge me with the giant bear with a cute face. I accepted the bear and looked at him, but my angry expression didn't leave my face.

     "Okay, okay. I get it," He laughed. Dad reached into a bag and brought out a giant lollipop.

     "How about now? Do you forgive me?" His expression was kind of goofy, and I just had to laugh as I accepted the candy.

     "Fine!" I groaned, "But you better not do it again!"

      His expression softened and he smiled, "I won't don't worry. You know your mother would always forgive me when I got her candy too." I smiled. I loved it when he would point out similarities between me and Mom. I touched my pocket where I kept a picture of her. She was gorgeous, and everyone says I look just like her.

  20090921_yoona1.jpg

(Yoona's picture)

     "You still keep the picture with you?" Dad asked me noticing my hand. I nodded and he rubbed his hand against my cheek.

     "I miss her," I whispered.

     "We all do," he sighed. I know he missed her more than all of us. He adored me of course, and I know he is happy with his life. Still, there seemed to be a piece missing from him.

     "Well anyways, your Grandma told me that you already ate, and it is time for you to go to bed," Donghae picked Jessie up and pushed he toward the door.

     "But, but, but it's my birthday. Can't I stay up a little longer?" Jessie asked glancing at the clock that said it was already 9:00.

     "No you can't. Plus, don't you want to wake up on time to read your mother's letter?" Dad looked at me knowing he had just caught my weakness.

Donghae's POV

     I watched Jessie leave the kitchen with a defeated expression. Me and Yoona had married after another two years in college at the ages of 22 and 21. We really hadn't wanted to wait no matter what our parents had said. We had Jessie the same year. I chuckled as I walked over to the fridge to see if there were any leftovers. I picked some lagsania and put it in the microwave. When I turned around I saw Mom walking into the room.

    "Don't tell me you're mad too," I said. She just smiled and sat down at the dining table.

     "She looks more like Yoona each year," Mom pointed out. I grabbed the lagsania out of the microwave and shuffled over to the table. When I sat down I immediately loosened my tie. I was tired from work. Usually I wasn't very busy working as a lawyer, but the case I was working on today was really big. I knew Jessie would understand, but I still felt bad.

     "She needs a mother Donghae," Mom said bringing me out of my thoughts. She looked at me with sad eyes.

     "She has me, she has you, and she has her mother's letters. She doesn't need anything else." I smiled at her. We had had this talk a few times before, but I wasn't in any hurry to replace Yoona.

     "Letters aren't enough Donghae." She sighed. Yoona had left ten letters with me to give to Jessie on every birthday. Each one was more like a book, but they were more precious to Jessie than anyting else. I had started giving them to her the year she started to read. I was always curious to know what was in them, but Jessie wouldn't let me read. Plus, Yoona had made me promise not to read them either.

     "I don't need a wife," I reiterated. I was already tired with the conversation.

     "You know what you're right, and guess what else. You know my friend, So Young, right? Well she just gave me the perfect marriage offer for you. A great girl. Really sweet and intelligent too. And, and I turned it down. I did well right? Right?" I stared at my mother as she continued on with her rant. I knew she was only concerned about the family's happiness, but she didn't understand.

     "You only truely fall in love once mom" I murmured.

 

*****Hello readers! See I promised I would update! Haha:) Sorry if this chapter doesn't have any moments. I just wanted to explain some things before I went on with the story. Doesn't Donghae make a cute Dad?