Chapter 13

Friendship is Love

 20110911_kara.jpg

(FLASHBACK cont.-still part of the letter)

(A few days later)

 Jessica's POV

      I walked into the large auditorium. A giant stage ran along the front while hundreds of cushioned seats dotted the rest of the room. Students around me were all running up to their friends to find seats in the massive area. Some held handmade posters with giant blockletters displaying their support of the girl group, Kara. Somehow the college had gottten the popular group to come sing for the students in a private concert in order to raise money for some charity. Donghae and I had gotten our tickets together, but I came to the concert by myself. Hae and I hadn't talked since our fight. I wasn't even sure if he was coming. It was really depressing without him around, but I wasn't going to give in and talk to him first. It was silly, but I was too stubborn to give up my pride.

     As I reached the front seats I started to regret coming. I wasn't the biggest Kara fan, and coming to the concert by myself really made me feel pitiful. I had asked Yoona if she was going, but she told me that she had to volunteer backstage to help make sure the concert was a success.

     I sighed as I plopped down in my seat. On one side of me a couple sat together being lovey dovey while on the other side there was an empty seat. The empty seat was supposed to be Donghae's, but I guess he really wasn't going to show up. I couldn't control the scowl on my face as I stared off into space. I was about to get up and leave when suddenly the curtains opened. Loud cheering erupted from everyone in their seats. When I looked at the stage, what I saw made my mouth gape open, and I decided that it might be worth staying.

Yoona's POV

     "Is everything okay with the background track?" I asked as I walked passed the students in charge of the music. They nodded in confirmation, and I checked off 'music' on my cheklist. I was almost done making sure everything was ready for the concert, but I couldn't see the girl group anywhere. I saw my dad talking to Boa unnie. They seemed stressed about something. Boa unnie was pulling at her hair and shaking her head while my dad looked like he was sweating waterfalls. Quickly I strolled over to them to see what was wrong.

     "Hey dad. Is everything okay?" I queried. They both looked at me shocked and told me to keep my voice down. A bad feeling started to develop, and my brows furrowed in confusion.

     "We have a big problem. Kara isn't even here yet," Boa unnie whispered to me. I looked at her shocked with my mouth hanging open. Everyone backstage was just told fifteen minutes ago that they had arrived and that they were sitting in a private room.

     "What do you mean they're not here yet?" My dad motioned us to move somewhere more private when I asked this. We shuffled into one of the makeup rooms.

     "They called us saying that they would be late, but we still haven't heard from them yet. We tried to continue contacting them, but we can't get a hold of them again," Dad explained. Boa unnie started rubbing her temples and closed her eyes.

     "But they're still coming right? We could just wait," I suggested. My father shook his head and sighed. That's when I realized that the cheers coming from the auditorium were getting louder and more impatient. The students were starting to get rowdy.

     "We already gave the money to the charity, so we can't give refunds to the students if we cancel this." When my dad mentioned canceling the concert I knew I had to think fast. However, it wasn't the loud cheers that made me want to fix the situation. It was the fact that I knew Donghae liked Kara. He seemed so cute and excited when he had gone on talking about finally being able to see them in person. Also, I could tell how worried dad was, and I felt bad that he was in such a dilemma.

     "Maybe we could buy time. There are a bunch of talented students here. Just ask someone to perform something while we wait." I could see their faces lift up at my idea. They both nodded and agreed that it was a good idea.

     "Go find Donghae," Boa unnie opened the door and yelled out to the other helpers backstage. I looked at her in confusion. Why did we need Donghae? She turned around and saw my face.

     "If we find Hae, we'll find Sica. We need her to sing." I nodded understanding. However, it was after Boa unnie left the room that I remembered that Hae and Sica were in a fight. I ran over to the curtain and looked at the crowd. There were so many people. How were we going to find her now?

Donghae's POV

     I entered the auditorium with red carnations in my hand. Jessica and I hadn't talked since our arguement and I felt like an for everything that I had said to her. She was still a girl after all, and I knew I had really hurt her feelings. However, I hadn't been able to bring myself to talk to her. I wanted to do something special. So, I researched online for the perfect flower for Sica. Finally, I read about the red carnation symbolizing friendship and pride, both traits that I associated with Sica. The flower also means that my heart aches for you. Being away from her for so many days, I really felt miserable. I don't think there had been a time that we hadn't talked to each other for so long. After much debating, I had finally made my decision that I would tell her how I felt. I would explain to her the reason I had been mean the other day was because I was jealous. The reason I didn't contact her after the fight was because I felt ashamed for treating her that way. I wanted her to know that I cared for her more than just a best friend.

     Only one factor stood in the way of my confession. She had to come to the concert. I wasn't sure if she would. I was really the one who had wanted to come. The fact that she was mad at me might have made her re-sell her ticket or give it away. I sighed. There was a very slim chance that I would have the guts to confess to her if she wasn't here today. Already I felt sick from the fear of rejection, but most of all, I was afraid that I might ruin our relationship forever.

     I squeezed through the people at the door of the concert. I noticed how many couples there were. The atmosphere was really perfect for my plan. Suddenly, I felt someone grab my shoulder. I turned around to find a skinny guy with oversized glasses. I looked at him quizzicaly while I waited for him to tell me what he wanted.

     "The principal wants to see you backstage. You have to follow me." He began walking away. I turned to look at the front row seats to see if Jessica had arrived. For a second I thought I saw her little bob of hair and hope coursed through me. 

     "Are you coming?" the guy asked me annoyed. I took one last glance at the front of the auditorium and began following him again. Hopefully, this wouldn't take too long.

No POV 

     Donghae entered the backstage and immediately Boa ran over to him. She looked behind him to see if Jessica was there as well. When she couldn't find Sica, she began bombarding Hae with questions.

     "I think she's in the audience. I didn't come here with her," Donghae explained. He was a bit overwhelmed at the commotion and chaos going on backstage. He finally found a more calm and friendly face when he locked eyes with Yoona. She smiled at him apologetically and he grinned back. The principal then took his attention and broke down the whole Kara situation. Donghae was disappointed but also confused at how he could help.

     "We actually called you here, hoping that Sica would be with you. However, we don't have time to look for her now. You and Yoona will have to perform something as we wait for Kara," Boa announced. Yoona's head snapped up at the mention of her name, and Donghae started backing away toward the door leading out of backstage.

     "There is no way you can make me perform. Yoona and I haven't prepared anything. We'll get booed off the stage!" Hae insisted. Yoona moved next to him and nodded her head earnestly.

     "Yoona, come on. Please? You have to help me sweetie. It's only a small favor. I'm sure you two can improvise something. You both dance, right?" Yoona's father moved to her and held her hands. She sighed in exasperation and turned to look at Hae with puppy eyes.

     "Hae, please?" she asked him. He looked at her shocked, and before he could answer her, they were both being pushed to the stage by Boa.

     "Hey!" they both protested. Boa ignored their protests, and just told them to dance to whatever song was played. She tried to assure them that they had nothing to worry about. When they got on the stage, the voices behind the curtain could be heard even more which made both Yoona and Donghae much more nervous. As she left, Boa grabbed the flowers from Hae's hands. Suddenly, they were alone on the stage. Yoona started fixing her blue skirt and top while Hae just fidgeted and looked around the large stage.

     Without warning the curtain opened. Hae and Yoona looked at each other and gulped. This was going to be a disaster.

 

*****Did you guys miss me? Sorry it took me so long to update! Hopefully it's not too boring! Please don't forget to comment and subscribe! I love you all:)