Chapter 31

Friendship is Love

Jessica's POV 

     I walked along the cabins making sure all the lights were off. The kids were required to be in bed by 10:00, and it was my job to check on them. Unfortunately, this took a while because there were so many kids at the camp. I was still in my white sundress from earlier today, but my hair was now tied back in a simple ponytail. I was so ready to snuggle up in bed with a nice book after the confusion that always surrounded the first day of camp. 

     As I continued to walk down the aisles of cabins, I noticed a faint light coming from one of the windows. Silently, I sneaked in and caught a little girl writing in her diary with her flashlight on. It didn't take me long to recognize her. She was the little girl who kissed me earlier today-Jessica. Her strange behavior still had me confused. For a moment, I stood and listened to her whispering the things she was writing down. 

     "I hope Daddy isn't too sad without me around and Grandma isn't going crazy with worry. I already called Dad and told him about my flu. I know I was supposed to wait a few days, but after seeing-"

     I interrupted her thoughts with a few knocks on her door. She quickly turned her flashlight to where I was standing with a startled expression on her face. I smied apoligetically, and the light for the room. I noticed that she was one of the kids who opted to have a room to herself. It was small with only a bed, a nightstand, and space for all her clothes. However, the rooms around her had dozens of other girls, so she wasn't alone in the cabin. I moved to sit on the end of her bed.

     "Oh, Ms. Jessica" she smiled relieved. 

     "Hello. Lights are supposed to be out right now," I admonished gently.

     "I know. I just wanted to finish writing in my diary. Sorry," she said as she tucked her little journal away in a drawer. 

     "I don't think you need to worry about your dad much. I'm sure your mom is taking very good care of him," I smiled at her. She seemed a bit embarassed that I had heard her. She looked down at her hands before looking up at me again with a sad smile on her lips. 

     "My mommy isn't with us anymore. It's just me, my dad, and my grandma." My heart sank when I heard this, and I instantly felt remorse. I watched as little Jessica pulled a photograph out from the drawer of her nightstand and hugged it to her chest. 

     "You don't have to feel bad. We're happy together," she continued after seeing my heartbroken face. I smiled at her and reached for her hand. 

     "Get to bed kiddo" I advised as I gave her hand a squeeze. I leaned over and ruffled her hair a bit before turning off the lights.

     "Good night sweetie" I whispered.

     "Good night Ms. Jessica." 

     I once again started walking by the cabins, checking on the rest of the kids. Finally, I found myself in front of the counselor's cabin. When I entered, my boss, Sungmin, stood near the front door. He was practically a child himself, and he even wore footy pajamas to bed. Yet, I couldn't deny that he was the kindest boss I had ever had. I smiled at him and asked if there was anything he needed. 

     "Actually Sica I was wondering if you could take care of a parent who keeps calling the camp. I have a lot of paperwork I need to get to, so I can't call him back. I think his name is Lee Donghae."

     My body froze when he said that name. It was that name I had been trying to escape all these years, yet it still followed me all the way here. Numbly, I nodded my head to Sungmin, and began walking over to the office that was built into the cabin. It couldn't be the same Donghae, right? There were probably thousands of Lee Donghaes in the country. I was probably overreacting. Plus, if it was my Donghae, that would mean he had a child...

     Once again I froze. It was possible for Donghae to have a kid. He and Yoona were so in love when I last saw them. It was only logical for them to make a family together. A rush of emotions overtook me as I thought this over. Why hadn't it ever occured to me before? Donghae's life didn't end when I left. For some reason this made me depressed even though I knew I should be feeling happy for the life my best friends most likely created together.

     By now I was in the office, facing the phone. A part of me thought I was freaking out for no reason, and another part of me wanted to go out and tell Sungmin that I couldn't talk to the parent. Finally, I pressed the button on the answering machine. Although I knew I was only going to make the hole in my heart open up agian, I wanted to hear his voice. Also, I was curious which of the kids at the camp was his. There were twelve meassages. 

     "Hi um my name is Lee Donghae. My daughter, Jessica, is at your camp. She called me earlier and said that she was ill. I just wanted to check and make sure that she was okay. I am willing to come and take her home if there are any serious problems. Please call me back." 

    My heart was in my throat. 

     My body collapsed in the seat next to the phone. It was my Dongahe. It was his voice...the voice I hadn't heard in so many years. Tear threatened to pour out of my eyes as the rest of the twelve messages began to play on the answering machine. In each message he voice grew a bit more frantic, and he sounded more worried. He clearly cared about his daughter a lot. 

     "Maybe my parents liked you." The words began to replay constantly in my head. Jessica is Donghae's daughter. She was named after me. Suddenly I couldn't hold the tears in anymore, and a waterfall of tears flowed down my face. 

      "My mommy isn't with us anymore."  My tears stopped for a second and my head shot up. Jessica didn't have a mother anymore. Did that mean Donghae was widowed? Was Yoona dead?

    Abruptly my breath stopped and I was running out the door. There was no way Yoona could be dead. Maybe Donghae married someone else. Maybe they didn't stay together after I left. I kept repeating in my mind that Yoona had to still be alive until I finally reached Jessica's cabin.

     Once again I found myself sneaking into her room. With the flashlight that was lying on the nightstand, I slowly opened the drawer. I found the picture and turned it over in my hand. It was Yoona. 

    Now, the silent tears became silent sobs. I slid down on the wall of the cabin, careful not to wake Jessica, and clutched the picture in my hands. How could one of my best friends be dead? A part of me blamed myself. Maybe if I had been there, I could have helped her. I could have given her support. I could have been her friend. 

   For the first time in three years I truely cried. I allowed my hyperventilated breaths and heavy tears to flow continuously. Hearing Donghae's voice and learning of Yoona's death tore down all the walls I had created for myself. Even as I slipped into my own bed, the crying refused to stop until I finally dozed into an unsettled sleep.

Hello my lovely readers! I hope you enjoyed this chapter :) I am writing the next chapter right now, and it should be up by tomorrow. AND....Jessica and Donghae will meet in chapter 32-I promise!!!!! Don't forget to comment as I can't wait to hear your feedback :D