Chapter 18

Friendship is Love

  track2.jpg

(FLASHBACK cont.-still part of the letter)

Jessica's POV

     After Donghae and I forgave each other last week, things sort of went back to normal. After all the drama we were back to being the best of friends. However, there was one thing that refused to go away. I loved Donghae. But of course this could never work out because him and Yoona were in love. The harder I tried to get rid of the feeling, the more it seemed to intensify. Donghae didn't help as he acted extra sweet to me. He carried my books when he could, opened doors for me, and was always asking to hang out. I figured it was a result of feeling bad for the previous events.

     "GO DONGHAE, GO!!!" a group of girl sitting near me nearly blew my ears out. I sighed as I rubbed my now broken ear. Still, I couldn't help the little smile that played on my lips as I watched him cross the finish line. He had decided to try out for the college track team, and he was actually a pretty good runner. He had wanted me to try out with him, but the practice hours were a deal breaker. There was no way I was going to wake up before classes early in the morning during the weekdays just to run. 

     I was startled out of my daydreaming when Hae turned around and waved at me on the bleackers. I smiled and waved back happily. I also couldn't help but admire how attractive he looked even when he was sweaty. Normally, I would shake those types of thoughts right out of my head, but he was really irresistable. Maybe I couldn't blame all those fangirls for following Hae around.

     Donghae turned back to the races, and I just continued to watch him. It was a really perfect day, with the sun shining brightly and a light breeze. Thankfully, it was Friday, so Donghae and I could still do whatever we wanted after the track tryouts without being worried about school in the morning.

     "Hey!" a happy voice chirped next to me. I turned to see Yoona in a cute pink dress. Her hair was pulled over her left shoulder in semi-messy curls. Basically, she was gorgeous as usual. I looked down at my capris and plain striped t-shirt. Oh well. At least I'm comfortable.  

     "Hi, what's up?" I asked her in an equally happy voice. I still loved the girl to death even with how I felt about Donghae. She was still my best friend no matter what. After all, I couldn't blame her for pursuing the boy of my dreams when I continuously denied my feelings for him to everyone around me. 

     "Not much. Did he just win?" she turned her attention to the track field and waved at Donghae. He waved back after taking a quick glance at me. For some reason that glance gave me some personal satisfaction.

     "Yeah, he did, and the fangirls have been going crazy," I laughed. Yoona giggled too, and we continued to watch the last few races. Finally, when the coach blew the final whistle I jumped up with Hae's gym bag in my hand. Before the try-outs he had given me his bag which had all his clothes, shampoo, and body wash. He couldn't go to the locker rooms with out it.

     "I'll be right back," I told Yoona. I jogged down the bleachers and yelled out to Donghae who was walking in the other direction. Knowing him he probably forgot that I had his stuff.

     "Donghae, Donghae! You need your gym bag!" I yelled. He turrned around and waved his friends away. Then, he ran towards where I was standing on the track field. About five feet away he did a front flip and landed right in front of me. As he landed I covered my face and dropped the bag, afraid that he was going to fall on top of me. When I heard laughing I brought my hands down from my face and hit Donghae in the chest. 

     "Idiot show-off" I mumbled with a red face. I wasn't sure if I was blushing from embarassment or by the fact that Donghae was so close.

Donghae's POV

     I smiled even wider when Jessica insulted me. I wasn't happy she called me an idiot, but her cute and blushing pouty face was so tempting. Ever since that other night when we finally cleared things up between us, I was going crazy over her. Unfortunately, nothing really changed between us relationship wise even though I had really thought we might finally get together. Of course, it didn't stop me from continuing to try.

     Jessica turned away and began to walk back to Yoona who was watching us from the stands. When I had snuck into her room I knew Yoona had redoubled her efforts in trying to get me, but I decided to leave it alone. I love Yoona, but not that way she wanted me to. I loved her the way I used to love Jessica, and I couldn't deny that she was attractive. Perhaps, I just liked the attention.

     My hand reached out to stop Jessica by holding onto her shoulder, but instead, I accidentaly grabbed a clump of her short hair. She yelped out and turned to me with a furious expression. I could tell she was going to hit me again so I grabbed her hand. 

     "Did you ever think there might be a reason for my showing off in front of you?" I asked her. She gave me a confused look as I began walking away with my bag. I turned to the bleachers and gave Yoona a playful wink before running into the locker rooms. 

Yoona's POV

     I watched as Donghae grabbed Sica's hair. Were they fighting again? Then I realized that even if they were fighting, Donghae would never ever physically hurt Jessica.

     I watched Donghae say something to Sica, although I couldn't exactly make out what it was. Suddenly, he looked up, winked at me, and ran away with his bag. My heart began to thud in my chest, and I smiled widely. A few girls around me began whispering, and they threw me dirty stares. I didn't really care and just ignored them. Finally, Jessica turned around and walked back over with a confused expression. She sat down with a thud. 

     "What happened with Donghae?" I asked her. When she head my voice, she shook her head as though there were a fly bothering her. She turned to me still in a daze. 

     "Oh nothing. He was just trying to fluster me again," she said nervously. My brows furrowed. These were one of those moments where I felt like Donghae and Jessica were hiding something from me.

     "Ookaay," I answered slowly and then continuedm "Sica I want to ask you something again." 

     "What?" Jessica stood up and began grabbing all of her things. She paused to look over at me. 

     "Do you love Donghae?" Jessica's face immediately fell. She began laughing nervously, and she shook her head. 

     "No, we're just best friends." Jessica asnwered. She began walking away, but stopped and added, "We couldn't be without each other."  

     I sat there thinking. I was going to have to go after my prince charming with the risk of hurting my best friend.

***Yaayy!! Another chapter! What do you guys think? Please don't forget to comment! During the last chapter I didn't get as much feedback that I wanted, but I do want to thank the people who did comment! I was very happy you all liked the chapter :) Also, if you're just starting to read the fanfic, I would still love to read you reactions to the previous chapters :D

Oh and I want to reccommend this awesome Haesica fanfic I recently read. It's called "Always" by moimoimoi. It's a short one, but it's perfect for all of us sappy romance lovers haha :)