Chapter 11

Friendship is Love

  Coffee%20Art.jpg

(FLASHBACK cont.-still part of the letter)

(2 weeks later)

 Jessica's POV

     Donghae and I walked into the coffee shop together. It was a new tradition we had started recently. Rather than just calling each other for homework help or just meeting up before class, we had begun going to the library together everyday after classes. It wasn't too weird since it really did help us with finishing our work (especially for Donghe who probably wouldn't do most of his homework at all if we didn't meet). Then, a few days ago Donghae had suggested to go to get coffee before we went to the library everyday. I had figured we would just buy the coffee and leave, but Donghae insisted that we actually sit down and drink it.

     As I we reached our usual table Donghae actually pulled out the chair for me. I looked at him cautiously as I sat down. He laughed at my face and sat down across from me.

     "Why are you laughing" I asked. I looked at the front of the coffee shop where I made eye contact with the owner. She smiled at me and nodded telling me that she would have our usual drinks ready. She was a really sweet middle- aged woman with black hair that she kept pulled back in a bun. We called her Mrs. Kwon, and I especially liked her becuase she reminded me so much of my own mother.

     "Why were you looking at me like that?" Donghae's voice made me look at him again. He was still smiling sweetly and for some reason I blushed. After everything he had said in class weeks earlier, I kept taking his every gesture as him trying to flirt with me. What confused me even more was the fact that I thought I actually wanted him to be flirting with me.

     "Becuase I was waiting for you to pull the chair out from under me before I could actually sit down," I told him with a smirk. Instead of laughing he continued to look at me with a smile. His bangs were getting a little too long so they kind of fell into his eyes. I had this strange urge to reach out and push the hair away. Wait, oh my god! Stop thinking like that Sica! I turned my gaze to his beige sweater. This didn't help much either since the fabric actually helped bring out his muscles which made my face turn a little redder. I could still feel his gaze on me.

Donghe's POV

     I watched Jessica as she shifted in her seat uncomfortably. After what she said I kind of felt bad. Did she really expect the worst out of me. I thought back to the past and realized that I did an awfful lot. I continued to look at her and my eyes fell on her lips. Were they always so pink? I shook my head and looked at her hair instead. That didn't help either since there were a few strands sticking up from when she had taken off her baseball cap. My hand ached to reach across and push it back down. If it had been any other girl I probably would have done it. Even with Yoona it wouldn't have been a problem now that she had started to warm up to me. But this was Jessica, and something held me back.

     "Am I really that mean to you?" She looked up at me and shook her head adorabley. I realized that her face was a little pink. Was she too hot in her jacket?

     "If you're too warm in your jacket you should take it off," I said. I myself began to slide off my coat and put over the back of my seat. Across from me Jessica was having trouble as her arm was stuck in the sleeve. I got up and moved to help her. Once again she looked at me with a shocked face and I realized what I was doing. Lee Donghae she is you friend! Not your girlfriend.

     "Um...sorry." I sat back in my seat with my heart pumping a little faster. I wasn't embarassed. I was just perplexed at what I was feeling. Since everything I said in class that day I was trying to figure things out with Jessica and Yoona. Going to the library with Jessica didn't do much since she stayed so focused on her actual work, so I had recommended going to get coffee together everyday. She had agreed and I felt that this was going much better. I noticed the effects she had on me when she did the smallest actions. Could I have actually fallen for my best friend?

    "It's fine. So what's ne-" Sica started talking and was pulling her hair behind her ears, but she was interrupted. Mrs. Kwon came in and stopped what was probably going be that start of a really awkward conversation between me and Jessica.

     "Here you lovebirds go. Your usual mochas." She smiled at us genuinly. I chuckled at the fact that she thought Jessica and I were dating. I guess nowadays we were acting differently with each other. Jessica on the other hand almost jumped out of her seat and went on the defensive. Did she not feel the same way I did? Aish why was I overthinking her every move?

 Jessica's POV

     When Mrs. Kwon called us lovebirds I almost choked on my own saliva. I heard Donghae laugh and wondered why he wasn't as embarassed as I was.

     "Oh no, we're not dating. We're just friends." I quickly defended. I saw a disappointed look on Donghae's face that confused me. Did I say something wrong?

     "Well you guys would have fooled anyone." Mrs. Kwon turned and walked back to the cash register. I reached for my mocha. Donghae had already grabbed his and he was smiling again.

     "She made hearts in our drinks," he grinned at me. I looked at mine and there was a heart drawn into the coffee. I laughed nervously. Jeez what was happening to me?

     "Maybe we shoud just go to the library now." I looked up and saw Donghae starting to leave.

No POV

     Donghae felt how Jessica wasn't enjoying the attention. So, he decided they should just end the date right then. He didn't realize that he has uncounciously called their hangout a date.

     "What? Why?" Jessica asked him. She couldn't help but feel disappointed, but she was also relieved. She wasn't sure how to react when Donghae did sweet things for her. She started putting her coat back on and followed Donghae. On the way out she waved at Mrs. Kwon who looked a bit confused.

     "I realized I have a lot of homework to do, so we should really just have gone straight to the library today." he lied. They started to walk back to campus in the cool air. Suddenly, a car pulled up next to them and a familiar voice called out.

     "Hey guys get in. I was just going back to school as well."

Yoona's POV

      I was driving back from shopping when I saw Jessica and Donghae walking by. I had borrowed my dad's car, and I decided to give them a ride since I could tell they were going back to school. Jessica started getting into the back of the car, but then Donghae held the door for her. Well that was new. I knew he liked to take care of her, but since when were they so sweet with each other? I saw Jessica's blushing a little, and finally Donghae got into the passenger seat. I had to admit that I was hurt.I had finally come to terms with my feelings for Donghae, but he continued to confuse me as he switched between me and Jessica. For some reason it seemed like he was starting to give more attention to Jessica. Then, I was also still too hesitant to push our relationship forward because I still didn't know how Sica really felt. Ugh, why was all this so difficult?

     "So oppa, where were you guys coming form?" I said sweetly. I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye and saw him smile.

     "Jessica and I went out for coffee. We were just going to go to the library," he responded. Instead of looking at me, I could tell he was checking Jessica's reflecltion on his side- view mirror. Once again there was a pang in my heart but I continued anyway.

      "You and I should do that some time oppa. We could even go to the movies together." I giggled. I checked to see Jessica's reaction now, but she was just looking out the window. She didn't really seem to care that I was clearly flirting with Hae. Had I been wrong about her feelings?

Jessica's POV

      I listened to Donghae and Yoona flirting with each other. I had noticed that Yoona had started to express her true feelings to Donghae, and I guessed it was true that no girl could help but fall for his charms. Yeah I felt hurt, but I tried to overlook this. They were both my best friends right? Besides, I wasn't even sure what I felt for Hae.

     So, I just leaned my head against the window and started to daydream. Thankfully, I was sort of able to drone out their conversation, and this lessened the perlexing pain I had been feeling since Yoona had arrived at the college.

Donghae's POV

     I was looking at Jessica through the mirror. She seemed to be in her own little world, and I was curious to know what she was thinking. Could she be thinking about me? She really wasn't that boyish when you truely looked at her. She had a girlish beauty that she couldn't completely hide no matter how much she tried.

     Half of my attention was also on Yoona who was trying to get me to talk more. She asked me where we had been, and I answered. Then, she surprised me by indirectly asking to go on a date. I still didn't look at her as I debated on my answer. Normally, I would have said yes right away, but now something was holding me back. I checked for Jessica's to reaction to the question, but she didn't seem to care. This surprisingly infuritated me. How was I supposed to make my decisions when I couldn't tell how she felt.

     "Sure, we could hang out." I responded. Still, there was no reaction from Sica. I looked at Yoona too, but even she didn't seem too happy. I guess my answer hadn't really seemed that convincing. Even I had to admit that it was rude of me to have answered her without even looking at her face. But then a thought came to me. I didn't want to go on a date with Yoona. I cared for her, but I didn't want to date her. She was like a sister to me. She was my new Jessica. So then, Jessica was now my....?

 

*****Not my favorite update, but I tried. Bare with me readers! Anyways the couples are starting to form, so hopefully I can continue to add more moments! Please don't forget to comment and subscribe!