Chapter 12

Friendship is Love

c0ce1.jpg   

(FLASHBACK cont.-still part of the letter)

(1 month later)

Donghae's POV

     I was sitting on a bench in front of the school. Jessica and I had decided to meet here before going to the coffee shop. I was wearing a light jacket since the air was already starting to feel like winter. The sky was a little cloudy and the leaves from the trees were all in piles on the ground. Jessica was late as always, and I had already been waiting for fifteen minutes. I exhaled a breath and finally saw her walking out of the school towards me. She had her straight hair open around her face and for once she wore a sweater that was actually kind of feminine (I was pretty sure it had been a gift from Yoona). The sweater was dark blue and long sleeved. It hugged her curves and had a v-neck. She was cutely hobbling over to me with her arms around her body. But I didn't pay much attention to these facts as I was more concerned with the fact that she wasn't wearing a coat. It was way too cold for her to be walking around without any extra layers on. Some protective feeling kicked on inside of me as I stood up and started to take my coat off to give to her.

     Ever since I had started awknowledging the change in my emotions for Jessica, those same new emotions had started getting stronger each time we were together. I think she noticed too, and she went along with it. I still didn't understand what was going on between us, but she never brought it up, so I left it alone as well. We had continued to get coffee, and it had become less awkward. Every once in a while it would feel like we were dating, but then I would quickly get rid of the thought. That couldn't be true right? I mean, she just wanted to be best friends... right?

     As I was thinking these things and taking off my coat, a boy ran up to Jessica. I saw him shyly give her a jacket. Sica accepted it with a smile and bowed. Even though the gestures seemed harmless I was filled with suspicion, and I put my jacket back on. Slowly, I started to walk towards them. They were talking, but the guy seemed really nervous. Suddenly he hugged Jessica. I stopped dead in my tracks as I looked on to see what he would do next. Actually, I was more interested in what Jessica's reaction would be. However, instead of pushing the guy away, Jessica just stood there and let him hold her. As he pulled away he kissed her- on the lips. By now my blood was boiling and I was ready to explode. Why the heck would she let him do that! Who was he to her!

     Instead of doing something I watched him run into the school while jessica turned back to me.

Jessica's POV

     Crap! I was getting late to meet up with Hae. I already knew he wouldn't actually be mad at me (he was used to it by now), but I still felt bad to making him wait out in the cold. Quickly I grabbed my books and started walking out of the singing room. I remembered that I needed my jacket and walked back to my seat to grab it. However, it wasn't there anymore. Instead of looking for it I just decided to walk out. For some reason I was always in more of a hurry to see Donghae nowadays. Actually, I knew the reason. He had been acting really sweet to me lately. I didn't understand it, but I didn't approach him about it either since (as much as I didn't want to admit it) I liked this new side of Hae. I liked the way he had started to look at me differently, and the way he treated me like I wasn't just one of the "guys". I guess what he had said in class had changed something between us.

     I opened my locker and jammed my books inside of it. I half jogged out of the school and saw Hae sitting on a bench. As I started walking toward him the cold air hit my face and I started shivering. I wrapped my arms around me and pulled my chin to my chest. At least it was still to early for it to start snowing any time soon.

     "Jessica!" I turned around at the voice with my eyebrows raised. Jonghyun bounded up to me and gave me a kind smile. I looked at what he was holding and gave a sigh of relief.

     "Here's your jacket. It fell on to the floor while you were talking to the teacher, so I had grabbed it to give to you later. But then you left before I could actually give it to you." He looked everywhere but at me when he talked and I realized he was really cute when he was acting shy. Jonghyun was another one of my friends. We had gotten close since we were both in Boa unnie's singing class, and we were often paired for duets together.

     "Thanks. I appreciate it." I took the jacket from his hands and bowed. When I looked up Jonghyun was looking at me strangely.

     "So I don't know if you knew this, but I'm actually...um transferring to a different college." Now, he was looking at the ground and still refused to look at my face. I was starting to get worried there was something wrong with the way I looked. After all, I was going to see Hae after this.

     "Oh no, why? When are you leaving?" I was actually really sad. We were starting to get really close, and he had always been really sweet.

     "Well there's this really great music program in Japan that I got into, and I just couldn't turn it down. I'm leaving tomarrow" Jonghyun explained. He was sort of shifting his weight from one foot to the other, and he seemed to be getting really nervous.

     "That's really awesome! I'm sure you're really excited, but you better no forget about me! Keep in touch okay!" I smiled at him as he turned his face upward to look at me. Then, he did something really unexpected and pulled me into a tight hug. Somewhere in the back of my mind I wondered if Donghae was watching. But once again my thoughts were interrupted when Joghyun turned his head to whisper in my ear.

     "I've always really liked you." My face turned red and my thoughts got all jumbled. I wasn't the type of girl that guys fell for. I was tomboyish and I wasn't easy to get along with. If guys did ever like me, they were too intimidated to approach me. This never happened.

     Finally, Jonghyun pulled away, but before I could completely get away, he kissed my lips. Okay- now I was mad. It was only a peck, but it still made me want to pummel him to the ground. No matter how close he though we were, he was not allowed to do that. However, before I say anything he started walking back to the school.

     "Bye!" he yelled as he ran off. I sighed. Well, it wasn't like I would see him again. I turned around and started walking to Donghae again.

Jonghyun's POV

     After I said my goodbye to Jessica I ran back inside the school. I could tell she had been really mad about the kiss, but I was happy I had gone through with it. I had had a little crush on Sica for a while now. Actually, I had been hoping to give her more than just a a peck on the lips, but I chickened out. I knew that even the hug was pushing my luck when it came to Jessica, and I had risked my life when I kissed her. Not only could Jessica have broken me into pieces, but out of the corner of my eyes I had seen Lee Donghae watching us. I didn't know what their relationship was (I don't think anyone on campus actually knew), but I had a feeling Donghae wouldn't be happy with what I did. This was why I had waited for the day before I left to make my move. I knew I would never actually have a chance with Sica (all the guys who liked her knew they didn't have a chance with her), and I didn't want to make our relationship awkward right before I left. Still, I a;so didn't want to leave without knowing how it would feel to actually kiss her. She was one of the most genuine girls I had even met, and I thought she was really cute. Maybe one day I would meet another girl like her.

Jessica's POV

     I put my jacket on, and when I turned and started walking to Donghae again, I saw that he had actually been watching me and Jonghyun. A part of me was really embarassed of what he just saw while another part was curious to know how he would react. As I got closer to him, I saw that he had on an emotionless expression.

     "Hey, what's up?" I asked as though nothing had just happened. Donghae looked at me with a kind of pissed expression and I was kind of happy with the fact that he might have been jealous.

     "Why don't you just go hang out with you're new best friend?" he replied. I was taken aback with the angry tone he used and decided that jealous Donghae wasn't as cute as I thought he would be. Wait...did I just admit to thinking Hae was cute?

     "What are you saying?" I had my eyebrows pulled together in a confused expression.

     "So much for being close. I wasn't even important enough for you to tell me that you were seeing someone. Thanks a lot."

     "Okay you need to calm down since I definately am not seeing someone Hae. Jonghyun is just a friend, and he just wanted to say goodbye before he moved-"

     "Oh so his name is Jonghyun. Great. What are you still doing here with me? Why don't you go kiss him some more?" Donghae's tone was getting sarcastic and he sounded really rude. I mean who did he think he was? It's not like we were dating or anything.

     "He's just a friend Donghae! Plus it was only a small peck, and it didn't mean anything to me. Just chill will you. You kiss girls all the time. I don't see why you care about this so much." I was really getting pissed at how big of a deal he was making out of this. If I could watch him kiss a bunch of different girls  in the past, I don't see why he couldn't stand one guy kissing me. And, he knew that it wasn't my first kiss with a guy either. However, in the back of my mind I knew what was really bothering me. It was the fact that I wished Donghae had a right to be jealous and angry over what happened. I wanted him to admit that he had feelings for me, and that he didn't want other guys to like me. Right now, I wasn't sure why he was mad. Maybe he was just being like a protective brother. For all I knew he could still like Yoona. But I had thought he had been sending me signs as we hung out during the past two months which confused me even more. I needed Donghae to come out and tell me if he actually had feelings for me.

Donghae's POV

     She was right. Why should I be mad at her for one kiss when she saw me with other girls all the time. I looked at her frustrated for not having an answer. Even though I should have calmed down, the kiss kept replaying in my mind. I had never felt like this before over a girl. Usually I got over things like this pretty quick.

     Then I realized that this wasn't just any girl. This was Jung Jessica. The one girl I couldn't stop thinking of for the last few months and years. The one girl I could never grow tired of even though we had been together for so many years. I didn't exactly know what this all meant, but I knew she wasn't just my best friend.

     "What I did was different Jessica-" She didn't let me finish and looked like she was ready to blow any second. Jeez, she got angry fast.

     "How was that different Hae? Please don't tell me you have double standards."

     "If you would let me finish-"

     "Okay. Fine. Go on." she interrupted me again. I just stared at her with my face expressionless again. I didn't feel like dealing with her when she was angry. It was different for her to get kissed because I actually had feelings for her right now. There- I admitted it. I had feelings for Jessica and it hurt me to see another guy kiss her.

     "I'll talk to you later." I was about to turn around when I heard her start talking again.

     "Right, just go around with your s." My head snapped back to look at her and I could tell she was surprised with my reaction. Yes, I flirted and dated with girls, but I wasn't some man-. As my best friend she should have known not to say that especially since it was because of her that I hadn't even been with one girl recently.

     "At least girls actually come to me willingly. Who knows what bet Jonghyun probably lost to be forced to kiss you." The words just came out of my mouth without me realizing, and I regretted saying them as soon as they left my mouth. I saw Sica's eyes fill with tears and my heart fell in my chest. I tried to hold her in order to apologize, but she pushed me away. She took a deep breath before she started to talk.

     "You're right. How could it possibly be true that any guy could have actual feelings for me." She spoke slowly in order to control the oncoming tears, but they slipped down her face anyway. Her hands quickly tried to wipe them away and she ran off.

     I walked back and fell back onto the bench. I put my face in my hands. What the hell did I just do?

Yoona's POV

     I was sitting by myself in the girls' dorm lobby.  I actually lived with my dad in his house that was right next to the campus. Today, I came to hang out with Jessica, but she wasn't here. Then, I had realized that she was probably with Donghae. So I had started to read a book, and I sat by myself on the sofa. The rest of the girls were in their rooms doing homework or out hanging with friends. Suddenly, someone came rushing into the building. I heard her sniffling as though she had been crying, so I tried to get a closer look at who it was. Then, I realized it was Jessica.

     "Hey Sica what's wrong? I asked concerned. Quickly I stood up and walked to her. I turned her around and hugged her. Whoever hurt her was going to get some big crap from me and Donghae.

     "I hate him." Jessica whimpered as she put her arms around me.

      "Who Sica? Who hurt you, hmm?" I asked gently. I patted her head with my hand as though she were a child.

      "Donghae. He's a jerk. You could have him." Jessica pulled away from me and excused herself. She said something about taking a shower and doing homework. I let her go since I was still too shocked by what she said. What could Donghae have done to make her cry? As much as I was angry at him, I couldn't help but feel some relief. Jessica had just given him over to me. Even though I had tried to go out with him, it never really felt like a date. He had even brought Sica with him on occasion. If they were in a fight, I still had a chance with him. 

*****And the plot thickens. How will Yoona try to take Hae from Sica? You'll just have to continue to read:) Anyway I added Jonghyun to this, but this is the only chapter he will appear in. He was only added to make Hae jealous. After this, he will move to Japan forever lol sorry to all jongsica lovers:) Don't forget to comment and subscribe!