Chapter 30

Friendship is Love

Jessie's POV

    I walked into the camp somewhat confused. There were children jumping and running around everywhere. While the other boys and girls were busy finding their friends and cabins, I was only looking for one person in particular. After a while of searching the large campgrounds, I got tired and decided to sit down on a colorful bench. 

    The camp was large and very open. A forest stood behind the camp, and there was a small river that ran around some of the activity cabins. Everything was colorful, and the weather was a perfect temperature in which I could wear my shorts and other summer clothes. Dad used to tell me that my mom used to love nature. Perhaps that was why I enjoyed being outdoors as well. Closing my eyes, I leaned back and relaxed against the bench while breathing in the fresh air. 

    Suddenly, I heard a babble of children running past me, and one of them accidentaly kicked me. 

    "Hey!" I yelled as my eyes shot open. I began to rub my leg, but I froze when I saw who the kids were running to. Jessica sat on the steps of the cafeteria building with dozens of balloons in her hands. She was waving to the kids to come to her. In my mind I imagined as though she was signaling to me. In the back of my head I wondered how she would react if she knew that I was Donghae's daughter. 

    Mechanically, my legs began to move forward and I closed the gap between us. My expression was probably dream-like. Afterall, i had been imagining this moment non-stop for the past few weeks. Then, I realized as I watched her with the other kids, that I saw my own mother, Yoona, in her. I became excited at the thought that if I did succeed, she might be a part of my family one day. 

    When I was almost right in front of her, a little boy grabbed the last balloon and ran to his friends. Now my view of her was perfect, and I could see that she was actually wearing a white sundress with matching white sandals. Her hair was long now and she had dyed it to a lighter shade. She looked so different from how she had been in college, but at the same time, I coud tell from her expressions that she was the same girl my parents had loved.  

    I shuffled the last few feet and stood in front of her with the sweetest smile that I could muster. It was only us left on the stairs now, so I had her full attention.

    "Sorry! That was my last balloon," she said in an angelic voice. She was smiling apologetically at me. I shook my head once to get out of my daze and began talking to her. 

    "It's okay," I muttered. I was speaking quietly and I hoped she couldn't tell how in awe I was.

    "So, what's your name?" she asked as she brought her elbows to her knees and rested her chin on her hands. 

     "Jessica."

    "Hey! That's my name too!" Her face lit up and she put her hand out for me to shake. I grinned as we shook hands, and a question popped into my head.

    "Why's your name Jessica?" I inquired.

     Her brows furrowed, probably at the randomness of what I said. Then, she shrugged her shoulders and responded, "Maybe my parents liked the name. Why is your name Jessica?"

     My smile grew when she asked me the question, and I thought of the perfect answer.

    "Maybe my parents liked you," I giggled. Quickly before she could ask me anything else, I kissed her cheek and ran off. I decided that I wouldn't let her know who I was until I got to know her better. Then, I could lure my father here, and we could be a happy family. At least that's what I hoped would happen.