Chapter 14

Something more
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 14

Kwang Soo called Ji Hyo about a half-dozen times and left voicemails, but the bloody woman apparently forgot she owns a phone. A few days ago, they agreed to watch a movie together on one of their day off. By late afternoon, he decided to just pop at her place to see if she’s still alive. He rang the doorbell few times before a blank Ji Hyo, opened the door. By the dazed look on her face, he could tell something happened. Many would mark her just as a girl who easily space out, but he knew her too well to know that there’s more to that dazed look. She usually thinks deeply though her face looks like she is empty headed.

            “Noona, are you alright?” Kwang Soo asked his favorite noona and one of his best friends. “What are you wearing?” He looked at her trying to asses if something’s wrong. “You have company?” He glanced past her, through the still-open door, trying to see if someone is inside. Of course, she was alone.

“No, I’m alone. My family went to visit some relatives. Come in.” She opened the door wider, gestured with her hand to welcome him in, and then closed the door behind them. “Don’t call me noona, no one’s around.” In few long strides, Kwang Soo settled himself on the couch while Ji Hyo busied herself with drinks. When they have their own get together, they usually watch movies, drink beer and eat popcorn as much as they can. That is their way of bonding.

            When Ji Hyo came back with two bottles of cold beer, he was already going through list of movies they made themselves. Somehow, each time their list gets longer because they always remember to add one more movie they want to watch at least once. She placed the bottle in her friend’s hand, and settled on the couch beside him with bowl of popcorn between them. He gratefully took the bottle and lifted it. “To what do we cheer this time?” He asks and she thinks it for a second.

 “To best friends?” Ji Hyo lifted her own waiting for clinking sound that came almost instantly.

“I’ll drink to that.” He downed the first thirsty swallow of beer. “Ok, what do we watch? I was thinking about something wit true story plot.” She gladly accepted and they settled to watch. Occasionally Kwan Soo would comment something related to some scenes, and Ji Hyo would just answer with a mumble or sniff. He glanced a few times at her and realized that she’s less then concentrated on the movie. He sighed and put a pause on the movie.

“Ji Hyo-yah, what’s going on with you?” Kwang Soo asked turning towards her making himself more comfortable for conversation. She blinked a few times as if she just noticed that the movie wasn’t rolling anymore. She took a long sip of her beer and sniffed before focusing on her friend.

“The smell just won’t go away.” Ji Hyo sounded frustrating.

“What smell? I don’t smell anything except popcorns.” He answered after sniffing a few times.

“The smell of that perfume that man wore.” Now, that confused him completely. She then went to explain about what happened at the convenience store and how a man saved her from too eager fans.

“And he pressed me on the wall and I was...” Ji Hyo probably would never explain in details if it weren’t for alcohol in her system or if it weren’t for her best friend in front of her. “Kwang Soo, the scent was intoxicating and it made my skin tingle. It seems like I can’t get rid of the smell. Even now, I can smell it, though now it’s much lighter. And it so familiar scent.”

“Ji Hyo, maybe is because you are still wearing the hoodie.” Kwang Soo reasoned, and Ji Hyo looked at herself blushing deeply. She just realized that she still had the hoodie on her. She quickly took it off when Kwang Soo laughed at her for her mongness.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter