Birthday 1.2

100 Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

08 | Birthday

 

:::

 

Flashback...

 

"So what is this that you want to ask, eh?"

 

Seohyun slumped her body next to her best friend in a leather couch, tired and feels like collapsing anytime soon. Instead of telling her best friend what she would like talk about, she put her head on top of her lap. And grabs a pillow to cover her face. Yet Suzy took it and throws it somewhere.

 

"I know you're not just here to hang out. To think, you just even sneak out from your job. So spill it out before I could lose my patience, Joohyun." Suzy literally slapped her best friend's forehead, earning a cry from the latter. "Get up there."

 

Seohyun obliged lazily. She sat up and let out a huge sigh. "So I'm quiet having this problem inside my mind."

 

"Problem can be solve if you share it with me." Suzy grinned.

 

"That's why I'm here to ask for an advice." Seohyun looked at her friend with a poker face. "Because I know, you have that wide ideas inside your empty brain."

 

"Yah!" Suzy practically slapped her friend's arm.

 

Seohyun giggles and pinched her cheeks. "I was just kidding, momo."

 

"Tsk,tsk, you just want me to feel bad for you."

 

"Anyway, as I was saying..." Seohyun crossed her arms and sighed. "It's about someone."

 

"Your boss?"

 

Seohyun shook her head. "It's someone that needs some reminder always."

 

"Who?" Suzy blankly but curiously asked.

 

Another sigh escaped Seohyun's lips. "The stubborn young master."

 

"Eh?"

 

"I overheard Doctor Kim and the chairman yesterday. They're talking about his birthday."

 

"W-Wait. Tell me the name of this young master. Is he handsome? Cute? Or what?" Suzy bombarded her friend with questions, couldn't hold back and get hype when she heard 'young master'. It sounds handsome for her.

 

Seohyun grimaced at her friend's reaction. "Are you interested already?" She couldn't believe it.

 

"Hehe, Quiet? You know when they say young master, a handsome prince immediately comes to my mind. So... is he?" Suzy grinned like a fool, clinging into the other girl's arm as she leaned to her face.

 

"Aish." Seohyun pushed Suzy away from me. "We're not talking about if he's handsome or not. We're talking about my problem!" she scolded and knock her head, earning a brief playful glare from the latter. "Aigoo, I don't know with you. But speaking of problem, it was about... what will I give to him? You know, something that will make him so happy? I know asking him to be with his mother would not do, coz he obviously doesn't like that. I want something that can make him the happiest person on earth."

 

"Wow, by hearing this from you, I thought he's someone close to your heart now." Suzy commented. What she's seeing right now is not someone who has a 'work' relationship with someone. "You, you're making friends with him, No?"

 

"I feel like making or doing something for him. You know, since he is such a good kid... sometimes." Seohyun would rather think than to answer her friend. Her eyes are on the ceiling as she think of it. "Well, this is also a gift for not going home early. He mentioned he will be going home after two weeks. But he changed his mind."

 

Suzy rolled her eyes out of annoyance but also looks up to the ceiling. "If he's someone that likes material then you should give a gift coming from your effort. Or if he's someone that will only be happy with his family around, probably invite someone that he hasn't seen for a while now."

 

As if she heard the jackpot, Seohyun's eyes widened. "I think I know now."

 

"How?" Suzy creased her brows.

 

A meaningful smirk appears in Seohyun's face.

 

---

 

All that she had to do is to sneak inside without being caught and steal his phone. But apparently, Yoong is inside his room, looks busy with something. And wouldn't come out any time soon.

 

"Otoke." She began to think on how she will do it, while walking back and forth in her room. "Otoke... Otoke... Otoke..." She stopped when she finally have the idea.

 

Quick, she exited the room and runs all the way to the kitchen. She was relieved that there's no maids nor chefs inside, as she easily opened the fridge - "Hehe, he will like this." Only to get the young master's favorite dessert. Who would have thought this will help her?

 

She never wasted any single second and run upstairs. As soon as she arrived in front of his door, she catches on her breath first and knock on the door once she is calm. She's holding it in both hands, so she has for her as well.

 

When she heard nothing like a footsteps yet inside the room, she raised her hand again and knock on it twice.

 

"Who is it?" Came Yoong's faint response from the inside.

 

"Seo Joohyun, young master." She said playfully. Within just a second, she heard footsteps. 'What is he doing, though?'

 

Before she knows it, the door was opened, revealing the tall stubborn guy, greeting her with a huge yawn. "What is it, Joohyun?"

 

She gulped nervously as she looked at him from his abs to his face. "I thought I could ha-hang out? With your favorite dessert? MCflurry with oreo?" She showed it up, smiling so big.

 

Yoong's bored face turned bright upon seeing the frozen dessert in front of him. "Who will actually decline this? I need a break after all." He had been working on the design and it flutters him Seohyun showed up to rescue him.

 

"I thought so." Seohyun handed the other as she walks inside.

 

"I'm not finish with the design. So let's hang out in my office." Yoong said as he made his way to his office. But he sensed Seohyun did not follow him right away. So he stopped and turned, only to see her looking for something. "Wae? What's the matter?"

 

Seohyun stiffened for a brief moment, as she slowly turned to face the doe-eyed. "I... I was just trying to see any mess. Hehe. I thought I could clean your room for you. But your room is so clean. As always." She sheepishly reasoned.

 

"Weirdo. Come here inside. You are not here to be my maid, babo." Yoong chuckled softly, leading the young girl inside his office, casually.

 

Seohyun hastily followed before she could be like a stupid girl for his eyes. Yoong patted another leather chair nearby as he takes his own chair.

 

"Let me know if it's good." Yoong turned the monitor to Seohyun, showing his master piece he had been working on for days.

 

Seohyun leaned closer and lips slowly parted as she finds the design to be, "Perfect." And as she said the only word that comes to her mind, she noticed Yoong's phone is just right next to the keyboard. It's the thing that she wanted to steal or borrow.

 

"Really? Then I should be confident they will like this. Because it's perfect for your eyes." Yoong unconsciously blurted. He's even smiling before he had his first spoon with his dessert.

 

Seohyun smiled and stole the phone without hesitation. "Can I borrow this for a while, Yoong?" She figured she should just borrow.

 

"Wae?"

 

"I want to play games. What do you have here?" Seohyun put aside her dessert and opened the phone. Unfortunately, it has a passcode.

 

"Aigoo, Kiddo. 0530." Yoong said immediately.

 

'His birth date.' Seohyun thought as she pressed the number combination. "Thanks." She flashes a cute smile in gratefulness. She then checks the application, in search for the games.

 

Yoong is smiling in amusement while watching his happy virus.

 

"Say Cheese." Seohyun said and snapped a photo that instant.

 

"Yah! What was that?" Yoong was definitely startled. However, the girl did not respond. "What are you doing?"

 

"Sending it to my phone." Seohyun sent the photo right away to her number, along with Mister Kwon's number. She then deleted the conversation before the doe-eyed can see it.

 

"For what? Have you gone insane?" Yoong chuckled.

 

"So that I can stare to your photo every time I need some strength." Blurted the younger girl with a silly grin.

 

Yoong almost choke at his own dessert. "W-What am I now some-"

 

"Your face is also funny, not only mine, you know."

 

Yoong scoffed. "Look who is actually talking?"

 

"I'm Seo Joohyun." Seohyun stuck a playful tongue and bite on her dessert, finally. Yoong could only smile and follows her movements. One thing she's really relief with, Yoong is not someone that will argue more on her. Besides their first meeting. He must be stubborn sometimes, but he will only be if he really doesn't like something.

 

--

 

"H-Hello?" She has this victorious smile in her face as soon as she successfully contacted the Kwon.

 

[Who is this?] Came a manly voice from the next line as a response.

 

"Am I speaking to.. Mister Kwon Yul? Yoong's father?" She wanted to make sure she did not type it wrong.

 

[Yes, speaking. So who am I speaking to?]

 

Seohyun can't help but squeal inside out of happiness. Yet, she needed to stop her silliness and answers back, "I'm Seo Joohyun. Calling from Seoul. Do you still remember me, Mister Kwon?"

 

[Oh, the very annoying girl that keeps on calling my son. What's up?] Yul laughs at the end of his sentence.

 

"I'm not annoying Mister Kwon. I'm just doing my job." Seohyun pout her lips cutely.

 

[So what is this?]

 

Shaking her head a little, Seohyun returned to her plan. "Do you know what day is it next Monday?"

 

[0530. Of course. Why?]

 

Seohyun brace herself and dropped it. "I was wondering if you could come. He would surely love to see you, Mister Kwon." There was a pause in the next line. She couldn't help it and think negatively.

 

[Why are you doing this? If I'm not mistaken, you were so persistent bringing my son there. Is there something I should know?]

 

"Um... I just want to see his birthday happy. That's it. There's nothing behind with this." Seohyun defensively replied, feeling weird with the sudden suspicion from the latter. "If... You couldn't come-"

 

[You know his mother is there. And I guess you know we're divorced. It would be-]

 

"This is also to see his family complete. I don't mean anything bad but I believe, if he will see his family complete, it could be his happiest day."

 

[Are you aware that he hated his mother?]

 

"Yes. And I'm doing my best to reconcile them. But so far, none is working." Again, she heard nothing but a sigh. She bit her lower lip and waited patiently. Until the voice went back.

 

[You're a good person Miss. Thinking about the others rather than yours. I like you already. Okay, I will come. Send me your plan for that day. So I can prepare myself here.]

 

"T-Thank you, Mister Kwon. I really appreciated it." Seohyun happily stated while bowing a lot of times, as if the other person will see her. "Good job, Seo Joohyun." She then made a fist, praising her own effort.

 

End of Flashback...

 

--

 

Mister Kwon: I just arrived. Let me know the location of the fishing pond.

 

Seohyun smiled as she reads the message coming from Yoong's father. She took a secret glance to the young master before she replied the message.

 

She bite on her apple with a satisfied smile after she sent it.

 

 

***

 

 

Just two hours and an hour of drive, they arrived safe and sound at one of the best fishing pond in Korea.

 

Unfortunately, since it's a popular place, they're not the only people in the place. They can see most families are using the place to have a bond. The weather is good, so it's not surprising they see a lot of them.

 

"I've never done anything like this." Came Seohyun's confession as soon as she took their fishing rods from the trunk of the car.

 

"Then I should actually teach you later." Yoong on the other hand grabs the bag of tent and plastic bags of grocery they have grabbed earlier. His mother sure have prepared this day for them.

 

"No. Its okay, Yoong. I can handle myself. You should teach your mother." Seohyun suggested, turning to the quiet blonde in the side. "I'm sure you haven't done this, right Ma'am?" She flashed a bright cheerful smile.

 

"Err... I know how to do this, Miss Seo." Jessica awkwardly said. She smiled a little, recalling that it was Yul who taught her with fishing back then. It's also one of their family bond back then.

 

"Let's just go." Yoong chuckled a little, leading them to the pond. They still have to walk a distance and pass bushes and trees before arriving there.

 

Seohyun hastily links her arm around the chairman's right arm and drags her gently with her, as they followed close. But she isn't enough and fasten their walk until they're now side by side the doe-eyed. With the chairman being in the middle.

 

Jessica couldn't do anything at all and walk comfortably with her nurse.

 

"It's a good day. I love it." Seohyun exclaimed, inhaling that fresh air she she can breathe from her nose. She closed her eyes while smiling like a fool and open them, to have an eye contact with her boss. "Try it Ma'am. It feels so good."

 

"Yeah." Jessica couldn't help herself and also followed her nurse.

 

"You too-"

 

"I'm not going to follow your silliness, Joohyun." Yoong interrupted, before the girl could ask him.

 

"Tsk, tsk..." Suddenly, Seohyun saw a flower from the side. She released her arm from her boss and hastily approached it. She bends down a little and picked it. She went back, placing it in the blonde's right ear. "There. You look more than beautiful, Ma'am. Isn't she, Yoong?"

 

For the first time, Jessica is anticipating for her son's answer. The latter is staring towards her, blankly however. But she doesn't want to think negatively at the moment. Yoong used to praise her back then. So he should do too, right now.

 

"We should get going." Unfortunately this time, her son refused to. He just ignore it and once again led them. Leaving them in the side. Her heart sank, watching his back slowly getting far from them.

 

"Nah, its okay, Ma'am." Seohyun console the blonde by rubbing her back gently. "He's just playing hard to get." She whispered to her ear.

 

"Stop with your non sense, Nurse Seo." Jessica did not miss a beat and throws the white flower somewhere. She pushed herself away from her and follow her son with heavy steps.

 

"Aish! Why is this so hard? Can they just... Aish, their personality is not really my type." Seohyun hissed and groaned. She picked up the flower from the ground and wear it over her ear instead. She then took the fishing rods and caught up with the Kwon-Jung.

 

--

 

While Seohyun and her son is busy setting up the tent nearby, Jessica busy herself setting the table. She planned not only to spend birthday with her son, she also planned to impress him later with her cooking skills.

 

But she can't help herself and glanced to the two, especially when their laughs can be heard from her place. Yoong's laugh is even that louder.

 

'He laughs with her like he's the only girl in the world. Is that how easy Nurse Seo can be with? Why I find it hard to believe? Or are they just spending more time with each other rather than with me? Well, Nurse Seo is not bad at all. She's just nosy sometimes.'

 

Her thoughts are being distracted when she heard her phone ringing from the side. She picked it up and her doctor's caller ID flashes on the screen.

 

"Tae?" She answered nonchalantly.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter